New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: War of Shadows (IC)

Josiah kept his mouth shut, fully expecting the routinely terrible wheat-colored water his fellow humans try to call "beer" to be the only alcohol on this "Dire Rat Inn"s menu. When Illidari pulled the suit of armor out of the bag, however, Josiah swore, "By the Ancestors! What-?! Where-?! How-?!"
    Last edited by Tyg3rW01f; 2020-07-16 at 02:34 PM.
    Tabhain faoi na réaltaí. “Reach for the stars.”

2. - Top - End - #182
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Alyndra Aramiar - Elf Wizard (5) - HP 30/30 - AC 14

Alyndra considered Illidari's excitation with a bit of surprise, especially when he said that they had called it a bag of wondering. Still, she wasn't going to pretend she wasn't glad to keep the bag: she doubted it would be all that useful - until, or unless, she learned to pick what she needed - but she was really curious about it. Granted, given that they hadn't ever been able to figure how it worked, she doubted she would be able to get very far but it didn't mean that she wouldn't learn anything by studying the bag.

She glanced at Josiah, then at the armour, and shrugged, “Magic. And it's not the weirdest thing in there.” Turning to Illidari, she asked, “Can we put it bag in, or once out it's for good?”

3. - Top - End - #183
    Orc in the Playground

"um....putting things back in can work...but since they never learned the capacity of it we didn't want to risk breaking it....something's stay....and one thing they learned was the 3 dragon's heads that DID come out ..much like you saying the blue dragon....are generally attached to the closest one to the proximity of the bag..."

He shakes his head in thoughtful contemplation, "I'm not saying you couldn't put somethings in there, I'm just not sure what it's capable of holding."
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Troll in the Playground

"...attached to the closest dragon?" Elva shakes her head in bewilderment. "I don't know if that's better or worse than the alternative. Well, at least now we know that if we get another dragon peeking out, it means we might get a curious or angry scaly visitor sooner rather than later."
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

5. - Top - End - #185
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Is anyone else hungry, thirsty, or tired? I personally could go for a draught of dwarven stout and a good lamb stew," Josiah mentioned, trying to not be too intrusive.

He truly needed to be on the good graces of these people, and their employers. The Adventurer's Guild had taught him that with real world lessons the Order had taught him the majority of his life had made less-than-concrete. These people had not yet invited him on their quest, if they even had reason to do so. No, most likely, this was some sort of test the Order had arranged in order to further test him for some sort of Master's Technique, or a rank-standing, so Josiah needed to maintain diplomatic ties with these people and forever watch how he reacted about them. Having received notice of failing one form of test or another set by the Order through the Adv. Guild, Josiah knew he needed to be on his toes for anything that could be another Mastery test. If anyone was a Master of the Order in hiding, it would be the woman with the bag, and/or the hobbit.

THE ONE thing his Master had never been able to quite teach Josiah, however, was the line between one-beer-too-many and I'd-like-another-but-I-need-to-stop-now. The problem was worse when the libation was full-bodied and delicious. Josiah had spent many an hour in training with a massive hangover from a night blacked out by alcohol.
    Last edited by Tyg3rW01f; 2020-07-18 at 04:42 PM.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

"I'd say Josiah is right. We can speculate on what that bag does and why it does what it does just as well over some good food." Elva considered making a comment on the boy's mention of alcohol, but decided against it. Josiah probably knew his own limits best, and Elva wasn't even certain he was as young as he appeared

7. - Top - End - #187
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Alyndra briefly hesitated, “Uh, alright...” She considered the plate at her feet, but started answering to Josiah and Elva, “The inn is fine by me.” Though she had no intention of drinking: she really wanted to know at least aa bit more about the bag before they left in the morning.

Looking around, she asked, “Anyone needs a full plate armour? I sure don't...”

8. - Top - End - #188
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ka'imi

The whole fuzz around the Bag of Wondering pulls the ranger's attention away from the dire situation and the foreboding task that lay ahead of them.

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    "That's..." Elva shakes her head in bafflement at the demonstration. "... well, I suppose it might be useful when you're cornered and have nothing else to fall back on, or if you're looking for something to do while on the road." She can't keep a smile off her face as she imagines the kind of imagination the item's creator must have had. "Or if you suddenly realize you forgot to get someone a birthday present or something."
    Her last sentence lets the dwarf chuckle happily, and he sends Elva a warm glance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyg3rW01f View Post
    "Is anyone else hungry, thirsty, or tired? I personally could go for a draught of dwarven stout and a good lamb stew," Josiah mentioned, trying to not be too intrusive.
    He turns to the other newcomer. "This stuff they make in the north, eh?" He asks with a playful, slightly disgusted face. "Well, it's a start I suppose." He adds with a wink. "It will also be a great way to get to know each other a bit."

Quote Originally Posted by Imladir View Post
    Alyndra briefly hesitated, “Uh, alright...” She considered the plate at her feet, but started answering to Josiah and Elva, “The inn is fine by me.” Though she had no intention of drinking: she really wanted to know at least aa bit more about the bag before they left in the morning.

Looking around, she asked, “Anyone needs a full plate armour? I sure don't...”
    "No, I prefer to travel lightly." He responds. "But I'd assume someone around here would have use for it?" he asks Illidari.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Orc in the Playground

Illidari smiles down at the armor, "I can find a use for it, I'll get it appraised and leave the money at the inn for you to divvy up as you please."
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

"Thanks, Illidari. I'm certain we'll find some use for the funds!" Elva responds, her smiles coming more naturally again.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Orc in the Playground

The dire rat hasn't changed much in the 2 days you've been gone. The orc isn't in the tavern but is still buzzing with activity.

Your rooms are still available, and the tavern is welcoming as before with drinks and food and music.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Dwarf in the Playground

Josiah shrugged to the dwarf and said conversationally, "I prefer my beer to be, as the northern dwarves say it, "flüssiges Brot" or "liquid bread", but that's just me and what I grew up with at the Order."
    Spoiler: use of Google Translate
    Show
    In the event my Google Translate German is ever in need of correction, PLEASE let me know!!
    Last edited by Tyg3rW01f; 2020-07-24 at 07:45 PM.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Troll in the Playground

"I think I'll stick to something lighter. Getting teleported halfway across the continent is tough enough without the added complication of a hangover." Elva waves a server over to the table she and her companions are sitting at so they can order. "I'd like a bowl of lamb stew and a flagon of light ale. What would the rest of you like?"

14. - Top - End - #194
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Lamb stew and a flagon of your darkest, most dwarven beer, please," Josiah was trying almost too hard to be polite, as if it were an effort.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Alyndra had readily agreed to Illidari's offer to sell the armour. Not that she really needed the gold - though it never hurt of course - but it would certainly be easier than walking around with the armour.

After that, while she had followed to the Dire Rat, the young elf headed straight to her room, apparently not interested in drinks or even food, and she stayed there for a few hours, possibly taking a nap.

When she came back down, she was pensively playing with a brass ring. She ordered some food with a glass of juice, then looking at everyone she put the ring on the center of the table. “I've been trying to understand how the bag works, or at least to pick stuff I need and not completely random stuff.” She grimaced slightly, “I can't say I've had much luck with that. But, I got this.”

She took the ring, put it on one of her fingers, and a small wall of force shaped like a shield appeared on her arm. Given how freely she moved it, it was pretty obvious that it was probably weightless. “It's not exactly worthless to me, but I figure one of you would find it much more useful than I.” She cocked an eyebrow, looking around, “Any taker?”

It's a Ring of Force Shield (can be wielded as a heavy shield, +2 Shield AC, no penalty, no arcane spell failure).

16. - Top - End - #196
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Maw' tok'jay'!!" Josiah blurted in amazement. "I've heard of those, but never seen one. Wow. I've never caught the ACTUAL name of those, but I'd call it a ring of force shield. Wow, that bag is... something."
    Last edited by Tyg3rW01f; 2020-07-31 at 01:42 PM.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Troll in the Playground

"That's a pretty nice ring indeed. I doubt I need it more than you do, though." Elva's face takes on a pensive look. "Though if you're planning on experimenting with the bag some more, it might be a good idea to have someone else watching your back, just in case another dragon or something else potentially problematic pops out."

18. - Top - End - #198
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

“Uh... As good a name as any I suppose.” Alyndra seemed to hesitate for a moment. In the end, she shrugged, “Alright, I'll keep it for now. Let me know if you change your mind.” She placed the ring on her finger, then tapped the table with the tip of her fingers. Looking at Elva, she added, “And I'll try to keep that in mind yes. Though... well... considering the nature of the bag, anything could happen so... It might actually be safer if I did that alone.” She grimaced wryly, “Well, safer for anyone but me of course.”

After a second or two, Alyndra shrugged. “Anyway. So... I doubt you've had any great revelation as to what's to come in the morning and how we should deal about it?” Considering how little they knew, or at least how little they knew that would allow them to prepare for anything, it was no surprise that she didn't wait for an answer. Looking at Josiah and Kai'mi, she asked, “I suppose you've already done the whole introduction things, but since I wasn't there, do you mind telling me...well, who you are and what you're bringing to the table?”

19. - Top - End - #199
    Dwarf in the Playground

Josiah lifted his mug in a toast and said, "Josiah of the Order of the Open Palm, and Member in Good Standing of the Adventurer's Guild. I bring my fists and agility to the the table."

20. - Top - End - #200
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

“I see.” The young elf glanced at the fists, then looked up. “Nice to meet you.”

After a small pause, Alyndra asked the waitress for something to eat, then turned back to the table. “I don't think there's much we can do to prepare for tomorrow,” after all, they - at best - only had the dimmest idea of what was waiting for them, “except take it easy for the rest of the day and call it an early night. So unless any of you has a bright idea,” she cocked an eyebrow, pausing for a second, “I'll spend the afternoon studying and call it an early night in order to be fresh in the morning.”

21. - Top - End - #201
    Troll in the Playground

"That's not really the worst idea. Studying, I mean." Elva chipped in. "We know very little of our opponent, and though I doubt the library or archives will have much, it should still be better than nothing."

22. - Top - End - #202
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Alyndra opened her mouth, closed it, then said “The library, yes. It'll be better than nothing.” And not at all what she had been planning on doing, but it was not a bad idea. “From what I know there are a lot of books in there though, so even if there are some we'd be interested in, finding the right ones could be problematic. Worse, there are parts of it that require special permissions and if there's anything to find at all, it'll be in those sections. I don't doubt we'd be able to get one considering, but...” The young elf tapped her fingers on the table for a second, then asked “May I ask one of you to go see Illidari or Almira to ask for that permission and bring it back to the library while I start looking at things over there?”

She paused, looking at the stairs to the bedrooms with clear hesitation as she mumbled under her breath. “I don't believe anyone would want to steal the bag in here, much less succeed, but given its nature I suppose it'd be best if I kept an eye on it. Who knows when that dragon will want to get out...” Not that she would be able to do anything about it of course, but...well...at least she'd know it was happening, it'd be a start.

Not seeing any reason to wait, Alyndra finished her drink then went to her room to grab the bag then went to the library while someone else went to the government building to get that permission.

At the library, Alyndra asked to talk with someone reasonably high in the food chain. “Good morning. I am on a mission,” she showed her guild's insigna, “and I need some information. The kind that is likely to be in the most restricted areas of the place. A permission signed by Illidary,” though it could also be from Almira, who knew, “is coming as we speak, but I'd like to get started by at least telling someone what I'm looking for. Time is of the essence.”

Diplomacy - (1d20+8)[19]

23. - Top - End - #203
    Troll in the Playground

"Well, it was my idea, so I might as well go and get the permission." Elva got up from the table. She didn't really mind the errand, as she could do with a bit of light exercise anyway.

A couple of minutes later she arrived at the council chambers, only a little out of breath this time. "Hi, um..." she presented her crystal to the guard as means of identification. "If possible, could you point me to where Illidary is? I've got a quick question with regards to my current mission."

24. - Top - End - #204
    Orc in the Playground

((shakes phone and computer confusedly over new posts but no notification))

Detess:

You are politely given directions to a small office on the ground floor, no guards stand outside but a light tap on the door has a voice inside bidding you to enter.

The room is probably good sized, however books, maps, scrolls, and various magic and mundane instruments of known and unknown usage litter almost every square inch of this room dim light filters in through high windows also stacked with various things.

Illidari sits at a large (even for a small sized creature) table paging through a book while making notes in another. He has a frown on his face as you enter, then slips easily into a broad smile. He marks the page with a scrap of paper before closing it carefully but makes no effort to hide the book (from what you can see with a quick glance it's either an extremely complex math book, or something more arcane).

"I loose track of time to easily...it's not morning already is it? I'm not quite done....but I may have a plan of action....where are the others?"

You don't think he's normally absent minded, this room however is the epitomy of organized chaos, the books are stacked everywhere and there's a walkthrough through everything but you wonder how he manages to get anything done in here.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground

"Ah, no, it's not morning yet." Elva responds, looking around the room in amazement. "Alyndra and me just decided it might be a good idea to do a bit of research before we leave, but we also suspected that we'd probably need special permission to get to the useful books, so that's why I came here." Her gaze slides over the massive collection of knowledge scattered around the room. "Though now I'm wondering whether we should have skipped the library and archives and come straight here for some light reading instead."
    Last edited by DeTess; 2020-09-12 at 12:46 PM.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Orc in the Playground

He looks thoughtful for a moment then points to a stack of books behind you.

"Third pile, 6th book down from the top, old world history. That should give you an idea of what events lead up to the resettling of this world."

He thinks some more while you pull out a rather impressive sized volume, easily 600 pages.

"Not much written record regarding that bag sadly, we never fully figured it out. Here take this..." He hands you a loosely rolled scroll, "give that to your mage to study, it's a ritual to open up each of the locks properly without causing a major disruption. I'll have some sort of devices to contain the essences properly tomorrow."

He pulls a scrap piece of parchment out from under a tottering pile of scrolls, somehow without spilling anything, he writes for a few moments before scrolling it tightly, dripping some melted wax on the edges and pressing his ring into it, the entire thing glowing briefly, then hands that to you as well.

"Permission for your group to have access to everything in the mages library that isn't more the darker side of magic....can't promise everything will be in there but can't hurt to try."

27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground

"Thank you!" Elva carefully put the book and scroll away in her pack and put the permission slip in a pokcet of her coat. She then swallowed a suggestion for Illidari to take it easy. Though he appeared overworked, now wasn't exactly the time to give anything less than a 100%. So instead she simply said "We'll see you tomorrow" and headed for the library.

At the library she quickly confirmed Alyndra's claim with Illidari's permission slip and then headed in to find the wizard.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2020-09-13 at 03:22 AM.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Orc in the Playground

Alyndra:

You're greeting with cautious welcome, and while they do check your guild gem, the older man wearing a tunic in a deep blue color frowns slightly and raises an eyebrow at you. "Not seen you around the college before where did you study?"

You have never met this human male before in your life, but his bearing and demeanor show someone of high rank. A gold pin in the shape of a bird in flight is pinned to his shoulder (knowledge history or knowledge arcane).

He does grudgingly give you entrance to the library and points you in the direction of some books that he thinks might help, he scoffs openly at giving you access to the more restricted areas ("bring me this proof and I'll consider it") but does leave you to your own devices.

There are people of various ages wandering the stacks and though they look at you curiously (mostly humans no elves), they leave you to your own devices unless directly asked a question.

Before elva arrives though as you wander the shelves again (you've found very little beyond what you've been told or know from world history), you accidently bump into someone carrying a large stack of books the top of their head just visible. A few books tumble to the floor and as this person begins stammering out apologies you notice right off the bat that this is a creature of oddity.

While they have the broad squat face you associate with humans in the early teenage years of life, the ears strike you at once....they are pointed like an elf's but not nearly as long as your own (the first half elf you've ever met in your life, and these are an incredible oddity to begin with, as most of elven kind don't like to acknowledge their existence).

She glares at you for a long moment before folding her arms over her chest, the books forgotten on the floor for the moment. (If she were human she wouldn't be much older the 16 or 17).
    ------------------

Elva:

You are greeted by the same surely human at the desk that alyndra was greeted by, he takes the scroll from your hand with a look of absolute disgust (you're not a mage in his eyes). He breaks the seal and reads over it, raises an eyebrow at something that is written then let's out a huge belly laugh that goes on for at least 20 seconds, causing several people to stare openly at the two of you.

After he pulls himself together, he shakes his head and looks down at the desk waving his hand over it briefly before nodding. "I believe I know where your friend is, I will personally escort the two of you to the areas permitted if she is finished with her current search....please follow me."

He stands up (easily 6 feet tall and burley, he's no 98 pound weakly wizard), and he walks with an obvious limp and uses a long walking stick to help. He leads you to the general area alyndra is, just as the two bump into each other.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Dwarf in the Playground

Josiah finished his mug, paid, and followed the others
    Last edited by Tyg3rW01f; 2020-09-13 at 03:14 PM.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

“Where did I study?” Alyndra blinked a couple of times as she considered the man, not really seeing why he needed to ask that. Not that she had anything to hide of course. “I had everything I needed at home so...” She shrugged, then tilted her head then as she considered saying more, but... Well, she didn't want to draw attention to herself...or her teacher.

Given entrance, she nodded her thanks and started pouring over the books: she was pretty sure she wouldn't find anything truly interesting and much less important, but maybe she'd be able to find something to point her towards things she ought to look for once in the restricted areas. She certainly wasn't particularly bothered by his scoffs, pretty sure that she'd get access soon enough anyway, nor did she pay too much attention to the fact that she was the only elf in the vicinity: and in that case, it was more a case of not noticing than anything else.

As the books spilled on the ground, Alyndra grimaced slightly and began to stoop down to help pick them up. Mid-movement she stopped though, looking at the girl's face, obviously puzzled for a bit. Tilting her head to the side, she detailed her for a moment, then straightened, “Hmm, sorry.” Her cheeks reddened a bit at her blunder.

After a few seconds though, noticing the crossed arms and the glare, she frowned. “Something wrong?”

Knowledge-Arcana - (1d20+13)[30]