Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Firbolg in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: The Corona Virus

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    They haven't, and aren't likely to for a while. A vaccine is currently being tested by a Cambridge lab, and there are no doubt similar efforts going on around the world, but it'll be months before any such thing is ready for roll-out--you have to be sure that firstly, the vaccine actually works to prevent Covid-19, and secondly, that it doesn't cause worse issues down the line. That requires extensive testing.
    Great.

2. - Top - End - #662
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    There's actually an Indian pharmaceutical company which is already working on replicating the Cambridge vaccine on the assumption it'll turn out OK and to be in a position to have millions of them ready for September--presumably if the vaccine turns out to be a bust they'll just have to throw all that away and start again from scratch.
    I don't know about that; my understanding is that many vaccines that don't work, or have unintended consequences, can be "fixed" with enough work. Not all, of course - sometimes you just go down a dead end. And sometimes it's more work to fix it than to just begin again. Either way, if you're set up to produce one vaccine, you're likely in a good play to begin working on a related vaccine.
    Even if they have to scrap it altogether, I'd imagine a lot of the process is the same for any given vaccine.
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

3. - Top - End - #663
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NichG View Post
    Yes, at zeroth order. Slightly better would be to subtract a moving average, so even if there is a general downward trend as long as that trend is relatively steady you'll subtract it out.
    That is, if on average stuff is going down at X per year over some time frame, you can subtract X from a smaller piece of that time frame to see how it compares to the overall trend?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text
    Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    So a ranger is like a Bachelor of Applied Druidology.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    What's the word for 'fear of being eaten by a mounted bear in half-plate' again? Because that's the one I have.

4. - Top - End - #664
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    That is, if on average stuff is going down at X per year over some time frame, you can subtract X from a smaller piece of that time frame to see how it compares to the overall trend?
    Subtract x * current year, yes.