New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Default Re: IC: Time to Visit other worlds (Alternity Dark Matter)

Aleksander's brow furrows as he listens. "Is this Earth? But with some differences?" Is this really another world?

"And I would very much like to speak on the specifics if there is time. I don't expect to become an expert, but I am hoping to understand what we are about to go through. I know we have a different mission at the moment and I think we know our roles for that."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Their reports were routine," Sarah said to Cynthia, "they did notice they saw almost no people, but that happened before in other tangents."
    Then she turned to Aleksander.
    "It is a sort of earth," she said, "actually it is Earth, but it has gone through a different path somewhere in history, or it actually still is in history, or in the future. Yes indeed, some tangents run slower or faster, relatively speaking, compared with us. We don't know how this happens, but we do try to figure that out before we send people over. This one runs at about the same speed."
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

"Almost no people, but they were still people-people," Cynthia says, nodding. "Okay, that's... hopefully workable. Would be nice to know what language was spoken - or even if it's anything like ours - but... guess we're going to have to fly by the seat of our pants, there. Did the people who were there group up, or was it just scattered individuals? In other words, will we stand out just by virtue of being in a group, despite any other actions we might take?"

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"We have a few pictures they have taken and there we see small groups of people," Sarah explains. She searched a bit and soon there was a picture on the screen. It was taken at dusk and the quality wasn't optima, but you could clearly see four people walking together. They were all wearing what looked like regular streetwear, but they were also wearing cloaks with hoods, so you couldn't see their faces.
    "So walking in group isn't a problem, but I would suggest to keep interaction with the locals to a minimum," Sarah continued.

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

5. - Top - End - #35

RedKnightGirl

"Okay, I think I can work with this as well. If it is not entirely different, I will just make sure I'm am familiar with our equipment." Aleksandr thinks a moment. "I will take any maps, tracking, or communication equipment you can offer."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Pixie in the Playground

"You said no immediate dangers as well, but does that mean there were dangers reported later? Any wildlife to be concerned about? I understand we're getting supplies to keep ourselves protected, but any idea is always helpful." Leo glanced to the other two then about the facility before settling back on the woman before them. "And are we just to bring them back when we find them? Or are we looking for something particular in this tangent?"

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

"Any wildlife is enough to be concerned about..." Cynthia mutters.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"They didn't report any danger," Sarah said, "but since they dissapeared, there probably is something. You will have to be careful. We can provide you with a GPS unit as there are GPS signals over there, as well as standard transponders and the paratransponders you need to call the machines back. We can of course give you a map of Atlanta, but I'm not sure how accurate that will be. Of course a handgun each and we can get some shotguns or rifles as well, although we'd rather not that you look like an invasion army. For protection we have standard battlevests. For you, doctor, we have a field trauma kit and of course each of you gets a backpack with some survival gear. Any other gear you want, you can ask and we'll see what we can do. Oh yeah, just in case, there is an emergency paratransponder in the MALP, so if you loose yours, you can go back to the MALP."
    Two men brought in a cart with a number of items on it.
    Last edited by farothel; 2020-03-18 at 04:36 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

"Only things that I can really think of are maybe a separate audio recorder, in case bugging some place might be needed, and some binoculars so that we can be a bit less... up close and personal when observing," she says, gathering the rest of the mentioned supplies. "Information is power... and while it might be better to have something and not need it, I've not exactly got the frame to carry a bunch of things. Or terribly much training in heavier weaponry. So, I'll pass on the other guns. Leave those to the guys." She gives a little chuckle.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"That shouldn't be a problem," Sarah replied, "we can add that to the list."

11. - Top - End - #41

RedKnightGirl

"I will just request to bring some hand tools as well as a compass, flashlight, and a student survival knife. All very useful things for being on your own in a strange world," Alek muses. "I am not much bigger than you, Miss Weiss. My frame is a good fit in a cockpit. I too will try to travel light. When do we leave?"

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"That too shouldn't be a problem," Sarah said, "as to leaving, as soon as we're finished here. Those extra things aren't all that much of a problem to get. Do you want something extra, doctor?"

13. - Top - End - #43
    Pixie in the Playground

"That fully depends on what is available in your trauma kits, I suppose. I just would want ample supply of antibiotics, pain relievers, and sterilizing materials. Not that I expect to need an abundance, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared - especially if we are going somewhere unfamiliar and following the steps of people who have not returned." He pauses for a moment and glances to the other two. "And I know you said that you wanted us to travel inconspicuously, so perhaps a rifle in a case or semi-disassembled would help keep our profile low."

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"No problem there," Sarah said. All the equipment was soon delivered and after checking they were brought to the machines again. There a technician was waiting.

"It's fairly easy," he said as he opened one of the machines, "you go stand in here together with your material and then we'll zap you to your destination. The easiest way to describe it is like Star Trek's transporter system, except here you need to stand in one of these instead of on a pad for it to work. And you go through the Quantum foam instead of through the air. Now, during transport there might be a tingling feeling, but that will pass quickly. Also do remember to keep your transponder with you and also remember that the machines need room to appear and a surface that can hold the weight. Ready to go?"

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

"As ready as I'll ever be to go into another world," Cynthia says, chuckling. "I don't know if that's something you can ever really be ready for, especially when there's a known unknown danger. But, hey... nothing ventured, nothing gained."

16. - Top - End - #46

RedKnightGirl

Alek nods at Cynthia and tightens down the straps of his pack, "Likewise. There may be lives at stake here so I will not pester you with questions. At least for now."

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Without further questions, you were each given one of the machines, or cages as they were called by the tech staff. And while the front was indeed like a cage, with bars, the other sides were closed and there were some boxes bolted on. You had no idea what they were for. The cages were about 2.5 metres high and with the boxes, about the same in the other directions. With your gear, you could just stand inside. Around the cages were a lot of mirrors, which could move and what you thought were lasers.

You are pointed to a small LED on the inside of the cage. You were told that as soon as this light turned green, the transfer process was completed and you could move out of the cage. After you were reminded again to make sure that there's enough room around the cages when you try to call them back. Then it was time for the big transfer.

You all got into one of the machines and closed the front. The technician checked to see if everything was okay and then he left, flashing them a thumbs up before he went into the lead maze. You stood there for a while before suddenly the lasers started flashing around. Then it stopped for a while and then it started again. This time it was accompanied by a noise and then you were blinded by a sudden flash. When you could see again, you noticed that the cave seemed to be a lot larger, or you were getting smaller. Then there was another flash and now the cave was gigantic. Then there was another flash and now you didn't see anything anymore.

When the flashes stopped, the cages were pointed like they were when you left, with the open sides towards each other, so you could see each other. Around the cages you could see a dusty square with abandoned buildings around it. The abandoned buildings are one and two story buildings, most without a roof or any windows. You see what looked like bullet holes and some larger holes as well. Some roads where weeds were poking through the asphalt were also visible, leading away from the square. The weather is sunny, with some wispy clouds and temperatures are quite nice at the moment.

Then the green light comes on, signalling that the transfer is complete.
    Last edited by farothel; 2020-03-25 at 01:36 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

"Well, this place looks positively delightful," Cynthia says sarcastically, as she takes her first steps out. Inwardly, though, she's rather shaken by the journey. That was... unsettling. It's one thing to be adjacent to paranormal whatevers, but nothing was able to prepare her for that. And this. "Hopefully nobody notices some shiny new things to destroy..."

A thought occurs to her. "Y'know, I really should have asked about the cages for the other team. What happened to them, if they knew." She sighs. "It's always when it's too late that you think of these things."

"So,"
    she chuckles, nervously, "how's everyone feeling about... where we are? Nobody stuck their hands outside of the rollercoaster here, I hope." The similar-but-different place radiates to her very much a general aura of unease.

19. - Top - End - #49

RedKnightGirl

"I wonder where this world went wrong." Alek thinks aloud. "I seem to be in one piece, but that was disorienting. Where did we end up?" Aleksander takes a moment to look around and take stock of the area. "I'd hate to be spotted the moment we arrive."

Spoiler
    Show
    Let's try rolling!
    Awareness-perception 12/6/3
    (1d20)[5] - (1d4)[3]

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CateranEnforcer View Post
    "I wonder where this world went wrong." Alek thinks aloud. "I seem to be in one piece, but that was disorienting. Where did we end up?" Aleksander takes a moment to look around and take stock of the area. "I'd hate to be spotted the moment we arrive."

Spoiler
    Show
    Let's try rolling!
    Awareness-perception 12/6/3
    [roll0] - [roll1]
    There are no people as far as you can see. You do see the MALP standing inside a building, probably to keep it out of the way of any inquiring people that might appear. You also see some tracks on the square, as if a large wheeled vehicle, like a big pick-up truck or SUV had driven across it. You can easily see them leading from one street over the square into another street. Looking closer you see some tracks from boots right next to the car tracks, as if someone had come out of the car, but they don't move around a lot.

As soon as you all get out, the machines dissapear, but in your briefing documents it was mentioned that they could simply be recalled by pushing a button on your paratransponders. Which was why you had to be very careful with it to make sure you could get back, although you get get more machines with only one of the paratransponders. It was a safety feature to avoid people from the tangent to see the machines and maybe damage or destroy them. And although they were good for at least two trips, they could be recharged as a precaution.

21. - Top - End - #51

RedKnightGirl

"Well, then. No one around but someone was here not long ago in a large vehicle." Alek looks up and around to try and get some kind of bearing. "Where do we begin? Maybe observe some natives from a distance and try our best to blend in?"

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, right. The scientists had thought ahead. Good on them.

"Yes, that would probably be good. I'd rather make any first encounter on our terms, not on theirs,"
    Cynthia says, nodding. "And if people have been here recently, it means we risk them coming along again."

23. - Top - End - #53

RedKnightGirl

"I agree, staying on a traveled path may get us discovered more quickly. First, I will see if I can find any of the previous group's equipment."

Spoiler
    Show
    Computer Ops 15/7/3 (1d20)[10]

(if applicable) System Ops/Comms 15/7/3 (1d20)[10]
    Last edited by CateranEnforcer; 2020-04-05 at 08:54 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

It takes a while to get it set up, but in the end Alexandr manages to hook the computer of the MALP (which has a better antenna for picking up signals and slightly better processing power) to the GPS signals they still get. There are fewer satelites than you expect, but you manage to get your position as a few blocks west of Atlanta Zoo, or at least where Atlanta Zoo is in your own home tangent.

You also manage to bounce a signal of one of the satelites and pick up the transponder signal of the other team. It's signal is a bit to the north of DeKalb-Peachtree airport (again, where it would be in your tangent), although you have the feeling that the positions here are not as accurate as they are back home. Still, that's about 25 km from your current position.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

Cynthia's a little antsy waiting by the MALP, because it feels like it draws more attention to the area. She'd very much prefer to not have everything in one spot to be stumbled upon... but, hopefully it'll end up working.

"What's the conclusion, oh wise one?"
    she asks. "Do we have something that we can work off of now?"

26. - Top - End - #56

RedKnightGirl

Alek pours over the data and relays what he found. "Our maps are close but probably not a perfect match. I am picking up the team's transponder north of us, about 25 km at the airport. A decent walk, but a start."

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

"Hmmm... That's concerning," Cynthia muses. "If it's anything like back home, we'll have problems getting anywhere without rousing suspicion. Let alone the fact that an airport would mean they could quickly end up anywhere."

"I say we head out, then, follow the lead while we still can. Keep an eye on the sky, too, see if we see any planes. If we don't, good chance that it's not actually an airport here."
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2020-04-06 at 10:35 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58

RedKnightGirl

Alek nods,"Sounds like a good place to start. Keep an eye out for natives." He hastily packs away his equipment and throws his backpack onto his back.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Pixie in the Playground

The transition is an odd one, and to see the dilapidated buildings surround them is enough to keep Leo's attention wandering for what seems far longer than it truly is. "That's not a bad idea. I imagine the odds of it being an actual airport are pretty low though, right? I'm still trying to wrap my head around how all of these tangents function. I can't help but wonder if these are all diverged from singular decisions that are different or if they're massive changes in the world as we know it."

He adjusts his gear for a moment before his attention turns back to the group. "Though I suppose none of that matters now. We're here and whatever caused this damage is to be avoided regardless."

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

You start walking north, towards the location of the signal. While the roads are clearly in need of repairs and several weeds have pushed up through the concrete and asphalt covering, you can still make good time walking over the relatively flat Surfaces. With an SUV this should also be easy to do and even regular cars should be able to navigate most Streets. You see cars standing next to the road and from the look of it, they're standing there for quite some time already. Some might still start, but you don't think you would put money on which ones.

As you walk, the weather start taking a turn for the worst and soon it starts drizzling.