New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: IC: Time to Visit other worlds (Alternity Dark Matter)

"Well, I appreciate you making the attempt," she says. "This all must be... quite unusual for you. I hope that we're able to get that stuff working to help you in repayment. I have confidence in Aleksandr and Leo, though, and I'd love to be able to see things thriving for you."

"I do hope that none of this ends up causing more issues for you in the future, though..."

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

"A good start. Still not enough to complete the project. In any case, what else is needed to be done around here? I need something to keep me occupied. I am permitted to have a look around, yes?"

3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Cynthia

"The technique your doctor will learn us will make that we can make our gene pool bigger more easily," Aina said, "that's always good. I'm sure we can use that. And I feel we have to grow together with larger groups, as soon as we know the virus has gone."

Alexandr

"I have not much for you," Ginny said, "I have to do some work outside and you can't go there. But if you really want, you can inventorise the back storeroom. It's the place where we put all things we can't use at the moment, and it's gone on for quite some time now."
    If you agree, she will bring you to a room where loads of things are stashed.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground

"That's probably a smart philosophy," she says, nodding. "Many together are always stronger than a few alone. Does it seem likely that the threat of the virus will end soon, and that rebuilding will be able to happen?"

5. - Top - End - #155

RedKnightGirl

Aleksandr laughs. "I do not know if I am that bored. I think I would like a workout. Is there any place suitable for that here?"

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Cynthia

Aina is silent for a moment.
    "I have no idea," she said, "we don't have doctors, just nurses in our compound. There have to be doctors around somewhere, even though the hospitals were hit pretty hard when the virus struck."
    Soon you arrive back at the compound.

Alexandr

"Of course we have that," Ginny said. She brings you to a gym room. While it's rather basic, it has weights, an exercise bike and a rowing machine and some smaller stuff. You can probably do all your basic muscle groups.

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

7. - Top - End - #157
    Troll in the Playground

"Maybe Leo can find something out. I don't know. That's... not where my knowledge lies," she really doesn't have any more words herself, either. This is a bleak, bleak world. People scrabbling to have any rays of hope. It makes her feel fortunate for all those things she takes for granted.

She does some mingling when back at the compound, just trying to get what life is like.
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2020-07-03 at 11:47 AM.

8. - Top - End - #158

RedKnightGirl

Aleksandr takes this time to go though a short workout routine. He especially is interested in practicing his fighting form. He is a small man, so even with training, he will never be very strong, but he is quite quick. He spends a short while doing this before heading out to get a better idea of the layout of the rest of his temporary home.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

You walk around and see that the compound is actually quite large, with about 150 women living there. There are children, including boys. Those are not allowed to go outside (and neither is Alexandr), but the girls play outside on a central square inside of the buildings of the compound.

People do come to you with questions as to where you come from, what you think about the situation and in the case of Alexandr, some more personal requests as well.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Troll in the Playground

It's nice to see everyone living and working together. Hoffmann has definitely given her a great appreciation for when everyone pulls their weight in the face of adversity, and this reflects that. They seem to be thriving here, in comparison to what might be expected from the outside. Though it still hurts to see all of this having happened in the first place. In another world, this could be her.

Cynthia politely brushes off questions from where she'd come from, simply saying that for the safety of others she couldn't say... but does have more fun with the younger children, instead grinning and asking them where they thought she'd come from, running with the more fancible ones that would be impossible for any person, and weaving small tales of fantasy regarding them.

As for the current situation, she mostly expresses her admiration for all that everyone has done here and the perseverance that they've shown, and hopes that things might change for the better soon.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

11. - Top - End - #161

RedKnightGirl

Aleksandr responds in kind with Cynthia, avoiding questions about where they came from. Though the danger of transferring the virus to their world was lessened now that they had gotten a warning off, he was taking no chances.

As to the other offers, Aleksandr is apologetic. He feels prudish to keep making these refusals, but simply explains he is not comfortable with coupling with people he had only just met. Still, he worries that he has offended the women or perhaps even threatens to draw further scrutiny towards their origins so for the first time he entertains the idea of giving them what they expect. After all, males from this timeline don't seem to hold the same hang ups as he does.

He brings this up with Leo first, curious if there any chance of the virus transmitting this way. He would assume not, or else all would lost in this world. He also asks Cynthia to keep an ear out to see if his behavior is raising more questions and potentially causing them more trouble.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Cynthia

The kids love it, as most adults have other things to do than play with them. And on the quad they are in they are quite safe and don't need constant watching. The kids ask questions as well of course.

Alexandr

The women are a bit dissapointed, but don't press the issue. When you ask Leo he thinks there shouldn't be a problem, or they would have had issues long before you guys showed up. He doesn't know much about the virus and the changes and would love to know more, but here he is quite sure. And while you're there, you can give a second sample.

All

A bit before dinner, you get a message from home. It indicates that decon measures are in the process of being implemented and should be ready in about two days and urges you to wait returning until then if possible.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground

Cynthia enjoys talking to the kids, and their wonder, and weaves tales of magic and monsters, and fantastical realms beyond the stars. Granted, a lot of it's inspired by media... but, well, they probably don't have a lot of that here. It's fine. It's a fun little thing to do, and maybe it'll inspire them to tell similar stories later.

She replies to the message, with a brief, "Understood. It'll be at least a day anyways, we've not concretely located them. Possibility, but the location we were at today didn't have them."

She begins to dwell a bit more on concerns. What will they do if they can't locate the scientists? How will they extract the ones there? Are they irrevocably unbalancing the destiny of this world by doing this all? It's all rather heavy. Nothing they can do, though, except try their best.
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2020-07-09 at 02:24 PM.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

14. - Top - End - #164

RedKnightGirl

Aleksandr is a bit antsy as the day comes to an end. He doesn't really like simply waiting in his closed space. He felt somewhat helpless here. Trapped even. Her really hoped Cynthia was making better progress than he was.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

The night passes without any problems. The following day at breakfast (after Leo and Alexandr have passed by medical for another sample taking), Ginny arrives at your table.

"Hey," she said to Alexandr, "we might get some stuff in to connect those solar panels. Can you show me how to do get those connected?"

Soon Aina also arrives for Cynthia and the drive to the second group for a look at their men. Outside they were also loading some stuff onto the pickup truck, which Aina said was some stuff they had promised the other group. As they were heading that way, they could just as well take it with them and save a trip later.
    Last edited by farothel; 2020-07-14 at 12:21 PM.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground

"What's usually traded between your communities?" Cynthia asks, curiously. "Is access to various men the most essential thing, with mainly self-sufficiency otherwise, or do some of you rely on others to make sure that you can pull through?"

Hopefully the self-sufficiency thing. In case the men disappearing causes... tensions between enclaves. She'd rather not have that.

17. - Top - End - #167

RedKnightGirl

"Very good! I will have a look immediately. The inverter is only part of it however. You will need someone to go outside to set up the panels and run the proper connections." Aleksandr gets up and it's eager to check in on his project. Hopefully things went to plan.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Cynthia

"We try to be," Aina said, "but it's very difficult. And I think that trading makes you grow more together as you get to know each other better, don't you think?"
    Soon they were on their way with the same group of people as the day before.

Alexandr

"Don't worry about that," Ginny said, "I can do that with some of the others. Just let us know where we best put them. I've seen an install guide for the panels somewhere. We should be able to do it."
    When the material has arrived, you see that you have everything to make about half of the converters you need, given the amount of panels you saw.

Spoiler: OOC roll
    Show

@Alexandr: do a few repair rolls to create the converter. It's an extended test, 15 minute interval.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Troll in the Playground

"Oh, absolutely," she nods. "Building bonds through shared necessity is the groundwork for something bigger. In a comparison between those who pool their resources, and those who use it for fighting one another... well, the pooled resource ones will have a much better life for all. It makes me happy to see those things."

20. - Top - End - #170

RedKnightGirl

"Very well, then I will get to my part of the project." Aleksandr gets to work, beginning first by studying his plans to get into the right mind set, carefully setting up a workspace. Then, he begins to work, unfamiliar with the process.

Spoiler
    Show
    Repairs! 15/7/3
    (1d20)[4] - (1d4)[1]
    (1d20)[14] - (1d4)[4]
    (1d20)[17] - (1d4)[3]
    (1d20)[14] - (1d4)[4]
    (1d20)[1] - (1d4)[1]
    (1d20)[3] - (1d4)[3]
    (1d20)[17] - (1d4)[2]

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Cynthia

"We try," Aina said, "it hasn't always been easy. But we try and we have the advantage of not having to start from scratch of course, although it is difficult as we lack the ability to operate certain things. But we will relearn. There have to be records somewhere."

Alexandr

It takes you about an hour and half to get the converter put together and tested. Now the only thing you need is to hook it up, but for that the panels have to be up and the cables run to the converter. Then Leo comes in.
    "Hey, just taking a break," he said, "how are you doing?"

22. - Top - End - #172
    Troll in the Playground

"I believe in you," Cynthia says, nodding. "I've seen nothing but resourcefulness from everyone here, and I'm sure if there're any Archives or anything, you'll be able to find it." It's always awkward dancing around things. They could probably give a lot more from her world... but would that be a smart thing to do in the first place, even? Regardless,, it's not her decision to make.

23. - Top - End - #173

RedKnightGirl

Aleksandr looks up from his work. "Making progress. We hopefully will have alternate power ready before too long. Perhaps I need a break as well before continuing. If this works, do you think they will release us?"

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Cynthia

"We have found a lot," Aina said, "unfortunately, we don't always have the people who understand it. But I'm sure it will come back. Ah, there we are."

The truck stopped at another building that was clearly reinforced. They stepped out and were greeted by a two women who introduced themselves as Mary and Celeste. Soon some more were offloading the supplies Aina had brought along, while you were brought inside. There, after exchanging some pleasantries, three men were brought in.

You recognised two of them immediately, the third taking some time because he now wore a beard that he didn't have on the pictures.

Alexandr

"I hope so," Leo said, "otherwise it will be up to Cynthia to negotiate. But I'm sure I've made explained how the techniques work so they can do them themselves even without me here. Maybe you best do the same. You can build stuff here, but if they don't know how to fix it when it breaks, it will serve them little."

25. - Top - End - #175
    Troll in the Playground

"Oh, yes, these three look good," Cynthia says, nodding at Aina, as she looks the trio over. Presumably they haven't been hurt, but she tries to see if there are signs of how they're holding up in this situation. Didn't really want to ask in front of the people of this particular camp, that'd probably get awkward questions.

26. - Top - End - #176

RedKnightGirl

"Well, with this done, what else is there to do but wait? Perhaps you have come across records of history lying around, no? I am curious on the details of what occurred here. I would like to know more."

27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Cynthia

"We could use these," Aina said, "as I mentioned before, we have artificial insemination now and we can teach that to you, making things easier to exchange."

"Interesting," Mary replied, "and I'm quite interested in that. So, when can we expect them back?"

Alexandr and Leo

"From what I understood, it's a mutated coxsackievirus," Leo said, "how it was mutated they don't know. If we have time, and they let us go, we might check the CDC building. That's in Atlanta, at least in our home. They might have records there somewhere. But I doubt these people know."

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

Yep. And here's the kicker. They sure aren't going to be willing to just let them go. They need them to survive here, after all.

"That's Aina's domain," Cynthia says, diplomatically, "though," she ventures, "I'm not sure exactly how valuable she deems that knowledge." She daren't push any further, though. This isn't her world, and she has no idea how much push and shove is exactly allowed when it comes to these sorts of deals. And she doesn't want hardships to come on Aina's people because of her. What a legacy that would be on one's first outing to another world. "Caused the fall of those who were willing to help."

29. - Top - End - #179

RedKnightGirl

Aleksandr shrugs. "That does not mean much to me. If we are set free, I do not think it would be a good idea to wander around. I am thinking we would find ourselves picked up again shortly. It may be best to send an all female team next time."

30. - Top - End - #180

Leo responds to Aleksandr "I agree, I don't want to be stuck here, but it seems they don't even know if they are still trapped. Aina said something when we first arrived that men never leave the compound without guards and a gasmask, so the virus could be eradicated and they wouldn't know. If I had access to some samples I could run some tests to make sure and help these people stop living in such fear. We weren't infected, there isn't any reason we would both be immune." At this point Leo goes off rambling a bit about the chances of two men from different tangents being immune to a virus. Eventually he realizes he has been carrying on and stops to see what Aleksandr says.