New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

d20 Any Hero-U fans here? Quest for Glory?

Corey and Lori Ann Cole, the people responsible for creating the Sierra adventure game classic "Quest for Glory" series, have made a new game that's a spiritual successor, and I was wondering if anyone here was a fan of either set of games.

QfG isn't D&D, strictly speaking, but it introduced me to modern roleplaying and is the biggest single reason I'm here now.
    Alignments are objective. Right and wrong are not.
    Good: Will act to prevent harm to others even at personal cost.
    Evil: Will seek personal benefit even if it causes harm to others.
    Law: General, universal, and consistent trump specific, local, and inconsistent.
    Chaos: Specific, local, and inconsistent trump general, universal, and consistent.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Any Hero-U fans here? Quest for Glory?

Quote Originally Posted by Caledonian View Post
    Corey and Lori Ann Cole, the people responsible for creating the Sierra adventure game classic "Quest for Glory" series, have made a new game that's a spiritual successor, and I was wondering if anyone here was a fan of either set of games.

QfG isn't D&D, strictly speaking, but it introduced me to modern roleplaying and is the biggest single reason I'm here now.
    Heh! Big fan of QfG (well, Sierra games in general) - but have not played Hero-U yet (though I backed it for Kickstarter, got it, etc etc - other than the first "mission" where you sneak inside the first house; I've not done much more than completing that first mission).

As a side note, if you're interested, I co-admin another forum, specifically about Sierra (which has a QfG and thus Hero-U section) at sierrahelp.com/forums
    Last edited by Tawmis; 2020-03-04 at 04:17 PM.
    Need a character origin written? Enjoyed what I wrote? How can you help me? Not required, but appreciated! <3

Check out my 5e The Secret of Havenfall Manor or my character back stories over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

Subscribe to my D&D Channel on Youtube! (Come by and Sub)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

I am a BIG QFG fan, and have been since the Hero's Quest days. Haven't done Hero-U, but I'm at least mildly intrigued, as I was by Heroine's Quest.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

4. - Top - End - #4

OldWizardGuy

I was surprised by the number of shout-outs to the QfG games in Hero-U, as my understanding was that C&LA don't own the intellectual property rights. But it seems if a backer asked for a statue of a QfG character, they'd put one in - thus, there are undeniable references to Rakeesh, Uhura, Erana, and Elsa of Spielburg.

There are also references to Spielburg, Mordavia, Silmaria, and other locations familiar to fans, although nothing directly to the Hero-from-the-East. (And Rovers - hooray!)

My only real disappointment was that we were obliged to play as a specific character, with a set appearance, gender, and so forth, although it quickly became clear to me why that was. (I was always mildly upset with QfG that everyone had to play a blond guy, but... things are as they are.)

Probably the biggest difference between the game worlds is the change in emphasis from Thief to Rogue. Thieves were always a viable hero class in Quest for Glory, but Hero-U strongly asserts that thieves are selfish and dishonorable while rogues are the true heroes.
    Law: General, universal, and consistent trump specific, local, and inconsistent.
    Chaos: Specific, local, and inconsistent trump general, universal, and consistent.

5. - Top - End - #5

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    Heh! Big fan of QfG (well, Sierra games in general) - but have not played Hero-U yet (though I backed it for Kickstarter, got it, etc etc - other than the first "mission" where you sneak inside the first house; I've not done much more than completing that first mission).
    Why so little? That's perhaps three-to-five minutes of playtime.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, surprised that Hero-U gets so little love. For those who don't know, it's a pretty enjoyable RPG/adventure kinda game in the classic fantasy high-school setting, which is well abused in anime, but really undersaturated in (good) video games for some reason.

Mechanics-wise it's quite fresh as well. It has a rather open ended real time schedule-based thing going on, so every NPC is doing something else in different times during the day and you have to figure it out if you want to use it to your advantage, etc.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    I am a BIG QFG fan, and have been since the Hero's Quest days. Haven't done Hero-U, but I'm at least mildly intrigued, as I was by Heroine's Quest.
    Why so little? That's perhaps three-to-five minutes of playtime.
    I've played QfG (also have Hero's Quest, the original version of QfG1EGA) a metric ton of times.
    "Back in the day" I was obsessed with it - and pretty much any and every Sierra game.
    However, I've played about the same amount of time in Hero-U as I have Heroine's Quest (which a great nod to QfG!).
    However, having backed so many Sierra related Kickstarters I had a few games to play (aside from other PC games I got from GoG, or bought for the XBOX 360/One, etc).
    I have a pile of games I've had for YEARS now that I've not played or barely played.

I was surprised by the number of shout-outs to the QfG games in Hero-U, as my understanding was that C&LA don't own the intellectual property rights. But it seems if a backer asked for a statue of a QfG character, they'd put one in - thus, there are undeniable references to Rakeesh, Uhura, Erana, and Elsa of Spielburg.
    There are also references to Spielburg, Mordavia, Silmaria, and other locations familiar to fans, although nothing directly to the Hero-from-the-East. (And Rovers - hooray!)
    I thought these were great; I recall quite a few references (again, just past the "beginning") when you go to the classroom, and walk around looking at the statues, and such; seeing these (and there are all quite a few - and I mean quite a few - puns, which are pretty good!)

My only real disappointment was that we were obliged to play as a specific character, with a set appearance, gender, and so forth, although it quickly became clear to me why that was. (I was always mildly upset with QfG that everyone had to play a blond guy, but... things are as they are.)
    Probably the biggest difference between the game worlds is the change in emphasis from Thief to Rogue. Thieves were always a viable hero class in Quest for Glory, but Hero-U strongly asserts that thieves are selfish and dishonorable while rogues are the true heroes.
    Well, for QfG it was groundbreaking that in the first one, you could play three different (let's call them "classes") - and that the game had puzzles to be solved, based on the class. (So if you picked the Wizard, you could get something with a fetch spell; where as the fighter could throw a rock, and the rogue could climb). This created a metric ton of replayability for a game that was made at a time where this wasn't really a thing. And then to be able to save to import your character into the next? This was like Wizardry (the game)!

As for Hero-U and the thief/rogue thing - I thought that was clever. Even D&D kind of did the same thing. The class was called "Thief" and opted later for "Rogue" because it sounded less... dirty.
    Need a character origin written? Enjoyed what I wrote? How can you help me? Not required, but appreciated! <3

Check out my 5e The Secret of Havenfall Manor or my character back stories over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

Subscribe to my D&D Channel on Youtube! (Come by and Sub)