New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1194 - The Discussion Thread

What I'm hearing here is that tueur and tuteur are pretty much the same word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Hmm...what about "exhumation"?
    That one does derive from humus and refers to burial. Unlike hummus.
    ungelic is us

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hroțila View Post
    What I'm hearing here is that tueur and tuteur are pretty much the same word.
    I both hate and love this.

Quote Originally Posted by hroțila View Post
    That one does derive from humus and refers to burial. Unlike hummus.
    Which of course refers to deliciousness.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    True, true.

And in Portuguese, "kill" is "matar", yes? from latin macto "I reward"!
    I never said we were nice either.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Rome and Star Wars have Emperors after being republics. They always fit together, even in absentia. (wait, did I use Latin correctly there?)
    Looks fine to me.
    The Greatest Threads Of GiantITP (in my opinion):
    A story of the exact wrong way to run a campaign.
    The best thread derailment of all time.
    The "canonical" list of Mostly Useless Magic Items.
    A ridiculous campaign.
    Weird dreams.

Working on a laptop connected to the Internet is like writing on a typewriter welded to a circus. -Unknown

My Nexus character

5. - Top - End - #185
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Preach it, sister!
    I already am, because I'm a cleric!
    Mods/admins: may we please have an OOTS Smilie to represent Minrah?
    Last edited by bunsen_h; 2020-03-07 at 02:21 PM.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    Mods/admins: may we please have an OOTS Smilie to represent Minrah?
    I believe anyone is free to make smilies and to propose them to be added into the thread that exists for that exact purpose.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Love Belkar being confronted that way. He would never want to be a loser!
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

8. - Top - End - #188

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Rome and Star Wars have Emperors after being republics. They always fit together, even in absentia. (wait, did I use Latin correctly there?)
    So did France, on no less than two occasions.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by The_Weirdo View Post
    That said, I'm still focused on "tuer". I mean, really, what is more awesome than going "In my native language, we substituted "take care of" for "kill"?
    I feel it would be remiss not to point out that "take care of" can mean "kill" in English, too. Granted, it's more of a mob boss-style euphemism than a literal statement, but it's surprisingly common nonetheless.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    I feel it would be remiss not to point out that "take care of" can mean "kill" in English, too. Granted, it's more of a mob boss-style euphemism than a literal statement, but it's surprisingly common nonetheless.
    Sure, the curious thing is it didn't literally become the main word for it in English. Of course, in Portuguese, it comes from reward, so... I don't know, Romance languages have something deeply awesome and unique about how they discuss death, maybe?

Oh, and by the way, the Sphinx Pox got settled. You lost the bet. Pilgrim won. I will proceed to hire myself out as a quatloo repo man for a cut.
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2020-03-07 at 10:17 PM.
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Sure, the curious thing is it didn't literally become the main word for it in English. Of course, in Portuguese, it comes from reward, so... I don't know, Romance languages have something deeply awesome and unique about how they discuss death, maybe?

Oh, and by the way, the Sphinx Pox got settled. You lost the bet. Pilgrim won. I will proceed to hire myself out as a quatloo repo man for a cut.
    See, we disagree about that. I made the bet because I couldn't imagine the sphinx pox not being deliberately dealt with on-panel. "Directly addressing it" counts as a story role in my book; it's certainly a step or two up from "passing commentary." I didn't necessarily expect it to be important - I just didn't expect it to be ignored going forward. Which it wasn't.

That said, I admit that I did a bad job wording the bet. I should have anticipated the need for a more specific articulation of what I was talking about. Now I must deal with the shame of being pelted with jibes from passing forumites, forumites who are contemptuous of me for holding an attitude that fails to match any I ever held - all because I failed to be sufficiently precise in an idle gamble! Such is my tragic, all-too-well-deserved fate.

Ah well. With any luck, I'll be the next curator of the Number of Character Appearances thread, and I'll have something else to put in my signature instead.

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Re: exhumation - I believe this is why the Discworld Assassin's Guild refers to their assassinations as "inhuming".
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

See, we disagree about that. I made the bet because I couldn't imagine the sphinx pox not being deliberately dealt with on-panel. "Directly addressing it" counts as a story role in my book; it's certainly a step or two up from "passing commentary." I didn't necessarily expect it to be important - I just didn't expect it to be ignored going forward. Which it wasn't.
    What would you accept as "passing commentary"? It was an incredibly brief mention, a small step up from a throwaway joke, solely in place to address the previous throwaway joke. I would call that resolution practically the definition of passing commentary.

Ah well. With any luck, I'll be the next curator of the Number of Character Appearances thread, and I'll have something else to put in my signature instead.
    You could also always curate my brilliance and wit, if you wish.

P.S. I am incredibly amused that the wikipedia entry on throwaway jokes references the best non-Futurama show there is, Better Call Saul.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

That said, I admit that I did a bad job wording the bet. I should have anticipated the need for a more specific articulation of what I was talking about. Now I must deal with the shame of being pelted with jibes from passing forumites, forumites who are contemptuous of me for holding an attitude that fails to match any I ever held - all because I failed to be sufficiently precise in an idle gamble! Such is my tragic, all-too-well-deserved fate.

So THAT'S why your clothes have a red SP on them?

15. - Top - End - #195
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Aren't we all? If anything, I'm surprised hroțila (should I be capitalizing that, btw? I can never tell) is not pushing for more etymology talk (which I'd be completely down for), rather than being nice to me by suggesting my regurgitation of The History of Rome podcast content constitutes a fantastic topic of conversation (thanks for that, though, much appreciated).

Grey (parenthetical asides) Wolf
    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    Talking about The History of Rome podcast is always fantastic, it's just we never manage to shove the topic off of Star Wars to do it (I mean, that's what happens when we are on a Star Wars forum, we always talk about Star Wars).
    Oh, great to see other fans of The History of Rome podcast!

OOTS-related: I'm glad that Minrah is already contributing to the Party in her own, unique way. Can't help but think of that old quote from The Giant about regretting not adding another woman to the group originally and see a line from that to Minrah here. I wonder if Minrah was always a planned character or if the concept for her only came along partway through the story?

16. - Top - End - #196

Quote Originally Posted by The Aboleth View Post
    Oh, great to see other fans of The History of Rome podcast!

OOTS-related: I'm glad that Minrah is already contributing to the Party in her own, unique way. Can't help but think of that old quote from The Giant about regretting not adding another woman to the group originally and see a line from that to Minrah here. I wonder if Minrah was always a planned character or if the concept for her only came along partway through the story?
    The History of Rome podcast rules, the only people who aren’t fans are those who haven’t heard it.

On Minrah’s planning, Rich (I hate autocorrect so much, why did that need to be all-caps?) has said that he had no plans until about strip 100, and that he didn’t have the whole thing planned out until the end of Book 2, so that’s what from the beginning would mean, from strip 100-301. However based on Rich, I imagine he didn’t have anything for her except maybe thinking that they meet Hilgya and maybe low-level dwarf clerics in Book 6 at that point, at the earliest he probably started developing a seventh party member in Book 4, but I’d bet he didn’t come up with Minrah until somewhere in BRitF (remember I’m completely making this up, except for the first part this is complete speculation).
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

17. - Top - End - #197

The History of Rome podcast rules, the only people who aren’t fans are those who haven’t heard it.

On Minrah’s planning, Rich (I hate autocorrect so much, why did that need to be all-caps?) has said that he had no plans until about strip 100, and that he didn’t have the whole thing planned out until the end of Book 2, so that’s what from the beginning would mean, from strip 100-301. However based on Rich, I imagine he didn’t have anything for her except maybe thinking that they meet Hilgya and maybe low-level dwarf clerics in Book 6 at that point, at the earliest he probably started developing a seventh party member in Book 4, but I’d bet he didn’t come up with Minrah until somewhere in BRitF (remember I’m completely making this up, except for the first part this is complete speculation).
    That makes sense. I'm also reminded of how he had a much more prominent role for Kilkil originally in mind for BRitF but the narrative ended up not having room for him...wonder if maybe the reverse happened here with Minrah (originally didn't think she'd have a big role until she really got fleshed out in the planning stage of UD)?

A question for the Patreon post, perhaps.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

What would you accept as "passing commentary"? It was an incredibly brief mention, a small step up from a throwaway joke, solely in place to address the previous throwaway joke. I would call that resolution practically the definition of passing commentary.
    Basically, a joke that didn't directly solve the problem but merely referenced it. My hangup was less "this is serious and must be an ongoing storyline" and more "Rich doesn't just introduce obvious threats without following up anymore." I was defining "commentary" in opposition to "direct resolution/serious consequences."

Of course, it ended up being directly addressed without receiving any more panel space than "passing commentary" would, so I suppose I can't blame anyone for interpreting it differently than I did.

You could also always curate my brilliance and wit, if you wish.
    I would love to.

So THAT'S why your clothes have a red SP on them?
    You got me. I wear a badge of shame around my neck every day as a reminder to myself that I must be Sufficiently Precise. At least it beats the scarlet "B+" I wore around my neck during our classroom discussions of The Scarlet Letter in eleventh grade.
    Last edited by Emanick; 2020-03-08 at 01:31 PM.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

You could also always curate my brilliance and wit, if you wish.:smallwink
    Seems like a job that wouldn’t require much work.

(I am, of course, just kidding. We here are all in awe of your wit. And I am not contractually obligated to say this as your lotsey.)

Peelee’s Lotsey

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ettin in the Playground

P.S. I am incredibly amused that the wikipedia entry on throwaway jokes references the best non-Futurama show there is, Better Call Saul.
    I'm working on my big article about my favorite TV shows of the 2010s. Better Call Saul is in the top 30!

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    I'm working on my big article about my favorite TV shows of the 2010s. Better Call Saul is in the top 30!
    I mean, isn't 30 a rather high number for this kind of thing?

Mind you, I love Better Call Saul.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

I mean, isn't 30 a rather high number for this kind of thing?

Mind you, I love Better Call Saul.
    For the list overall? I have 85 shows on it, so 30 isn't a bad position.

Or is it a high number in relation to Peelee's sentiment? Because that's definitely true. I like the show, but I'm razzing him a little.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

For the list overall? I have 85 shows on it, so 30 isn't a bad position.

Or is it a high number in relation to Peelee's sentiment? Because that's definitely true. I like the show, but I'm razzing him a little.
    I mean for a "Top number of recent X"... Sounds like 5 or 10 might be a better number? I don't know.

24. - Top - End - #204

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    Seems like a job that wouldn’t require much work.
    Ya know, I really did set myself up for that one.
    I assume numbers 1-29 are Futurama.

The Office is also acceptable.

25. - Top - End - #205

I mean for a "Top number of recent X"... Sounds like 5 or 10 might be a better number? I don't know.
    To Be Serious: There were a lot of shows in the 2010s, especially once all the streaming services followed Netflix and started making their own content.

To Be Frivolous, maybe Ruck just isn't decisive enough to cut the list down?

26. - Top - End - #206
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    New comic is up.
    This one is awesome. Thanks, Rich.

"Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around"

27. - Top - End - #207

And in Portuguese, "kill" is "matar", yes? from latin macto "I reward"!
    That's very evil overlord-ish. In, fact.... yep, Rich has done it.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ettin in the Playground

Ya know, I really did set myself up for that one.

I assume numbers 1-29 are Futurama.

The Office is also acceptable.
    If we're talking solely the 2010s? I'm afraid not.

Same with The Office. Now, if The Office ended after season 3, it'd be near the top of my entire list of shows of the 21st century. But the second half of season 6 to the end? That leaves out nearly all of the good parts of the show.
    Ten years is a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    To Be Serious: There were a lot of shows in the 2010s, especially once all the streaming services followed Netflix and started making their own content.

To Be Frivolous, maybe Ruck just isn't decisive enough to cut the list down?
    Well, I was at least decisive enough to put the list in order in the first place.

But there is a lot of TV out there, and I wanted to recognize, in particular, a lot of the shows I really liked but had short runs or were cancelled before their time. A whole lot of shows fall into this category, from Benched to Enlisted to Great News to Trial and Error to American Vandal to Terriers to Ben and Kate to Party Down to Detroiters to Don't Trust the B---- in Apt. 23... (and more!)

29. - Top - End - #209

If we're talking solely the 2010s? I'm afraid not.
    Eh, you're allowed to be wrong.
    Same with The Office. Now, if The Office ended after season 3, it'd be near the top of my entire list of shows of the 21st century. But the second half of season 6 to the end? That leaves out nearly all of the good parts of the show.
    I rather like Andy, and thought he held his own as manager. Sure, he was no Michael, and he could never hold a plotline like Scott's Tots, but it was stills solidly good. Plus, the other characters came even more into the forefront. The culmination of Dwight and Jim's relationship is one of the best arcs in the series, and all of that was post-Michael Scott.

At least, until they completely changed his character and made him an unlikeable ass.
    Ten years is a long time.
    Indeed. Also, it's a top-30, which means it could still well be number 1! I say, ignoring that you could use a smaller number if that had any chance of being true.
    But there is a lot of TV out there, and I wanted to recognize, in particular, a lot of the shows I really liked but had short runs or were cancelled before their time. A whole lot of shows fall into this category, from Benched to Enlisted to Great News to Trial and Error to American Vandal to Terriers to Ben and Kate to Party Down to Detroiters to Don't Trust the B---- in Apt. 23... (and more!)
    No love for A. P. Bio or Barry? OK, Barry isn't cancelled, but I'm waiting too dang long for Season 3! I WANT MY NOHO HANK FIX, HBO!

For reals, though, any chance you can throw up the list? I'm interested!

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ettin in the Playground

Eh, you're allowed to be wrong.
    A handful of episodes aside, I didn't find the revival as good as the original. Still, it does deserve mention on the list.

I rather like Andy, and thought he held his own as manager. Sure, he was no Michael, and he could never hold a plotline like Scott's Tots, but it was stills solidly good. Plus, the other characters came even more into the forefront. The culmination of Dwight and Jim's relationship is one of the best arcs in the series, and all of that was post-Michael Scott.

At least, until they completely changed his character and made him an unlikeable ass.
    I stopped watching the show regularly around the turn of the decade, and when I did check in, I found a couple of pretty-good episodes but some just awful ones as well. I don't think the show ever came close after that point to the highlights and consistency of seasons 2 and 3.

Indeed. Also, it's a top-30, which means it could still well be number 1! I say, ignoring that you could use a smaller number if that had any chance of being true.
    You are technically correct, the best kind of correct! You are also more specifically correct.

No love for A. P. Bio or Barry? OK, Barry isn't cancelled, but I'm waiting too dang long for Season 3! I WANT MY NOHO HANK FIX, HBO!

For reals, though, any chance you can throw up the list? I'm interested!
    A.P. Bio isn't cancelled either! Season 3 is going to air on Peacock, NBC's digital streaming service. (Apparently the show's 100-day streaming numbers massively outpace its actual live-TV ratings.) I'm surprised we haven't gotten a Barry season 3 premiere date announced yet; the last two seasons premiered at the end of March, so maybe it will premiere when Curb Your Enthusiasm and Avenue 5 finish their seasons.

Also, both A.P. Bio and Barry are also in my top 30!

I'm finishing up the capsule writeups for each show so I can publish the entire list on a site I write for next week, but I could post just the list here, no problem. (I mean, I don't know if the discussion thread for the latest comic strip is appropriate for that, but I'll just blame you if it's not. )