Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 61 to 76 of 76
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground
     
    JadedDM's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Washington, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Castlevania Season 3 (the Netflix show)

    Finally got around to finishing it myself. Looking forward to the next one. Although I am amused by how many people interpret that scene about the 'land pirate' as meaning Grant is coming. I took it as a kind of shot at those who keep demanding the character be introduced, even though Ellis has gone on record that he has no interest in introducing him.

    You previously said of this character, “What use is a pirate in a landlocked country, anyway?”

    Warren Ellis: Well, yes.

    But in Season 3 we get some teases of both a character they call the Pirate of the Roads, I believe. And it also features an unnamed sailor who simply goes by The Captain. So are we reading too much into, maybe, some Grant lore in there?

    Warren Ellis: You’re reading too much into The Captain. The Captain is simply the Captain, I’m afraid. However, The Pirate of the Roads, he stuck wheels on his boat, because he’s a pirate in a landlocked country. That’s my little nod to all the people still furious that we didn’t use all the two dimensional sprites from the early games.

  2. - Top - End - #62
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Castlevania Season 3 (the Netflix show)

    Warren Ellis continues to say sensible stuff in as mean a way as possible.

    Like **** man at least for me it is not that I want you to use this small little sprite guy, I just wanna see what you CAN do with Grant Denasty, man who climbs up walls and throws knives everywhere. I just think he'd be cool.

    But I get it. There's no real room for him and he doesn't really make much sense all things considered. Still would like grubby pirate man who climbs sheer walls and doesn't afraid of anything, least of all Draculas.


    Ray 01 avatar by Pinkhaired August. C U S T O M!
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

  3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Ramza00's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Castlevania Season 3 (the Netflix show)

    Just a reminder that Warren Ellis (writer and producer of Castlevania) has not played the Castlevania games per interviews with him. Instead he is reading summaries and wikis. I am fine with this personally. I also agree with LaZodiac how he says things can be mean / insensitive at times. Then again this probably explains Warren Ellis's writting style for Ellis has a lot of ******* characters in his works.

    -----

    Sidenote and this may be too much for this forum. I am fine with Warren Ellis not playing the video games instead reading summaries and wikis and using these things to harvest for lore and recreate these things as his own thing. That is the nature of adaptation, what works in one medium does not work in another medium.

    I am now venting about the unfairness of the world. If a new comic writer said that, or a female comic writer who is established, or a writer of another race or sexual orientation, etc with examples. If another person wrote this who was not a white man. Well a certain type of fan would be doing all forms of harassment* such as massive twitter hate campaigns, so on and so on. Saying you are trying to ruin my childhood and I am not okay with that says this toxic part of the fandom.

    *Can I prove this, no for it is a hypothetical but I am based this comment off many similar examples from 2014 to 2020.
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2020-04-06 at 09:03 PM.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

  4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Olinser's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Castlevania Season 3 (the Netflix show)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Just a reminder that Warren Ellis (writer and producer of Castlevania) has not played the Castlevania games per interviews with him. Instead he is reading summaries and wikis. I am fine with this personally. I also agree with LaZodiac how he says things can be mean / insensitive at times. Then again this probably explains Warren Ellis's writting style for Ellis has a lot of ******* characters in his works.

    -----

    Sidenote and this may be too much for this forum. I am fine with Warren Ellis not playing the video games instead reading summaries and wikis and using these things to harvest for lore and recreate these things as his own thing. That is the nature of adaptation, what works in one medium does not work in another medium.

    I am now venting about the unfairness of the world. If a new comic writer said that, or a female comic writer who is established, or a writer of another race or sexual orientation, etc with examples. If another person wrote this who was not a white man. Well a certain type of fan would be doing all forms of harassment* such as massive twitter hate campaigns, so on and so on. Saying you are trying to ruin my childhood and I am not okay with that says this toxic part of the fandom.

    *Can I prove this, no for it is a hypothetical but I am based this comment off many similar examples from 2014 to 2020.

    /eyeroll yeah he's totally getting a pass because he's white. That's the ONLY possible reason. Not because the bulk of the games have a 'story' that is less text than the average forum post here and basically boils down to 'Dracula evil Vampire, Belmont hunt Dracula', and the entire NES game of Castlevania 3 is a 1 hour long playthrough by a reasonably skilled player (speedruns are 25-30 min). You could acquire all of the lore necessary to understand Castlevania in a single day from youtube Let's Play videos and the wiki, playing the game itself is frankly irrelevant.

    That's a far cry from taking over a comic that has run for decades and has hundreds or THOUSANDS of issues, many varied plotlines, other characters, relationships, and confrontations, and say you don't care enough to read ANY of it.

    That says a whole lot more about you and your personal prejudices than anything else.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2020-04-06 at 11:46 PM.

    ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

    I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

  5. - Top - End - #65
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Castlevania Season 3 (the Netflix show)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Just a reminder that Warren Ellis (writer and producer of Castlevania) has not played the Castlevania games per interviews with him. Instead he is reading summaries and wikis. I am fine with this personally. I also agree with LaZodiac how he says things can be mean / insensitive at times. Then again this probably explains Warren Ellis's writting style for Ellis has a lot of ******* characters in his works.

    -----

    Sidenote and this may be too much for this forum. I am fine with Warren Ellis not playing the video games instead reading summaries and wikis and using these things to harvest for lore and recreate these things as his own thing. That is the nature of adaptation, what works in one medium does not work in another medium.
    I'm totally okay with him having not played the games. Much of them are bad, and we don't want him to translate the game to screen so much as translate how the games made us FEEL, and the use of Bloody Tears where they used it was how you feel when you're kicking ass in Castlevania.

    As to the subject of "should you read/play everything that you're going into the media for". Absolutely not. Comics especially are nonsense, half the time they aren't actually connected so reading it will be contradictory and the other half, while good, is spread out over 30 issues. No one should be expected to read Spider-man's entire backlog just to write for him. I'd also note that "watching an LP" won't necessarily get you... ANY information about Castlevania, considering some of the games.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2020-04-07 at 01:31 AM.


    Ray 01 avatar by Pinkhaired August. C U S T O M!
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

  6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground
     
    BisectedBrioche's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Some rainly old island
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Castlevania Season 3 (the Netflix show)

    Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    /eyeroll yeah he's totally getting a pass because he's white. That's the ONLY possible reason. Not because the bulk of the games have a 'story' that is less text than the average forum post here and basically boils down to 'Dracula evil Vampire, Belmont hunt Dracula', and the entire NES game of Castlevania 3 is a 1 hour long playthrough by a reasonably skilled player (speedruns are 25-30 min). You could acquire all of the lore necessary to understand Castlevania in a single day from youtube Let's Play videos and the wiki, playing the game itself is frankly irrelevant.

    That's a far cry from taking over a comic that has run for decades and has hundreds or THOUSANDS of issues, many varied plotlines, other characters, relationships, and confrontations, and say you don't care enough to read ANY of it.

    That says a whole lot more about you and your personal prejudices than anything else.
    I'm inclined to agree with Ramza.

    A great deal of the aforementioned type of harassment comes from people barely familiar with the work in question anyway (I mean...comics aren't my area of expertise, but I was under the impression that comic continuity is pretty elastic anyway).
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Pyre

  7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Ramza00's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Castlevania Season 3 (the Netflix show)

    Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    /eyeroll yeah he's totally getting a pass because he's white. That's the ONLY possible reason. Not because the bulk of the games have a 'story' that is less text than the average forum post here and basically boils down to 'Dracula evil Vampire, Belmont hunt Dracula', and the entire NES game of Castlevania 3 is a 1 hour long playthrough by a reasonably skilled player (speedruns are 25-30 min). You could acquire all of the lore necessary to understand Castlevania in a single day from youtube Let's Play videos and the wiki, playing the game itself is frankly irrelevant.

    That's a far cry from taking over a comic that has run for decades and has hundreds or THOUSANDS of issues, many varied plotlines, other characters, relationships, and confrontations, and say you don't care enough to read ANY of it.
    You are assuming the people who harass are rational beings who do things in moderation and understand concepts like ratios on what to be angry about. I would argue the harassers are nothing like that and they are emotional reactive individuals who spend a whole lot of time harassing due to identity reasons. Harassers have more in common with stalkers than people who enjoy a property due to being fans.

    That says a whole lot more about you and your personal prejudices than anything else.
    You say it is my prejudices. I say it is my life experiences.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

  8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground
     
    lord_khaine's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006

    Default Re: Castlevania Season 3 (the Netflix show)

    Except that would be stupid because, as Carmilla knows well, that's just asking for Hector to grow a brain eventually or start thinking on his own. And if the safeguard is already on, there's really no reason for them not to have their fun with him however it may be. The point remains though that Lenore, by the end of the season, is NOT treating Hector poorly and stands up for him to the rest of her cadre, she just doesn't view him as an independent person either. And if that ring is as easy to circumvent as just lopping off the finger, that is a truly awful safeguard. Like legitimately they'd have been better off with pretty much any other safeguard. So I'm betting that if Hector does get rebellious, he can't jsut remove his finger to be free of it. Hell, he might not be ABLE to remove his finger.
    Clearly Lenore's safeguard is to ensure Hector doesnt get so misserable he decides &%¤% it, goodbye finger.
    Since at the end of the day, Hector isnt that smart. Or at least not that mature/independent.
    Honestly, the only thing that annoyed me more than Lenore wasting time with magic rings, instead of Stockholming the poor guy into loving her..

    Is the Judge's secret. Dam that was dumb.
    It also really annoyed me he could not just have been a regular Lawful Evil judge they had to deal with.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

  9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Ramza00's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Castlevania Season 3 (the Netflix show)

    Why do people assume that if you remove the ring or the finger the curse will go away?
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

  10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    The Fury's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2013

    Default Re: Castlevania Season 3 (the Netflix show)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Why do people assume that if you remove the ring or the finger the curse will go away?
    Knowing Hector's luck, if he did remove his finger to get the ring off, it probably wouldn't get rid of the curse.

    I can just imagine Lenore chiding him afterward, "What? Were you trying to undo the spell? ...Oh... Darling, it doesn't work like that."
    Iop brain.

  11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Ramza00's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Castlevania Season 3 (the Netflix show)

    Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    Knowing Hector's luck, if he did remove his finger to get the ring off, it probably wouldn't get rid of the curse.

    I can just imagine Lenore chiding him afterward, "What? Were you trying to undo the spell? ...Oh... Darling, it doesn't work like that."
    Yeah from memory when the curse took into effect we see it spread all over his body to his heart if I recall correctly.

    ———

    Perhaps Hector will need to renounce his humanity and become a monster to escape the curse.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

  12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    The Fury's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2013

    Default Re: Castlevania Season 3 (the Netflix show)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Perhaps Hector will need to renounce his humanity and become a monster to escape the curse.
    Maybe. Though if Isaac can be taken at his word, that would suggest that Hector would lose his Forgemaster abilities if he did. Poor dude can't catch a break, can he?
    Iop brain.

  13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground
     
    druid91's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Lemuria
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Castlevania Season 3 (the Netflix show)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Yeah from memory when the curse took into effect we see it spread all over his body to his heart if I recall correctly.

    ———

    Perhaps Hector will need to renounce his humanity and become a monster to escape the curse.
    To be fair, it seems like forgemasters have some ability to break curses, as evidenced by Isaac himself.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

    Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

    Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

    Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

  14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground
     
    lord_khaine's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006

    Default Re: Castlevania Season 3 (the Netflix show)

    Why do people assume that if you remove the ring or the finger the curse will go away?
    Because we were told that trying to take the ring off would hurt so bad it was impossible.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

  15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Lost in the Hinterlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Castlevania Season 3 (the Netflix show)

    I finished Season 3 tonight. I actually enjoyed it a fair bit. I mean, it was bittersweet as hell, but that goes well with the whole Gothic Horror vibe.

    I was a bit apprehensive going into it, seeing as Season 2 amounted to “Vampires argue about politics while Trevor, Sypha and Alucard go to a library. Also, Dracula is a sad old man aaaaaaaaaand now he’s dead.” That was a little disappointing.

    This season had some scale to it, and even a few surprises. Also, I think we can all agree that Trevor dual-wielding whips was hella cool.

    I imagine Season 4 will have Camilla’s forces and Hector’s army battling it out, with Trevor, Sypha and Alucard getting dragged into the conflict. (Whoever wins, it would certainly be bad for everyone.)
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2020-05-10 at 05:36 PM.

  16. - Top - End - #76
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Castlevania Season 3 (the Netflix show)

    It's kind of a running joke with Warren that he's brought in specifically to do his take on a given thing not necessarily interested in the original. And with the occasional weird tangent, like how Iron Man is a modern version of mushrooms.

    Grant is mostly supposed to be a thief/rogue and has some pretty simple reasoning
    Spoiler: Background
    Show
    His family was killed by Dracula, and his status in III as a result of a failed attempt to defeat Drac. Judgement also throws in that he also falls for Sypha.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •