New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91

Default Re: Your Thoughts on the Artificer

Quote Originally Posted by RedMage125 View Post
    I mean this in a helpful tone, because you said you were AFB:

E:RftLW, page 59: "As part of the same bonus action, you can direct the cannon to walk or climb 15 feet, to an unoccupied space, provided it has legs."

Obviously, a willing creature can allow it to enter its space.
    Yes, exactly--it's not a climb speed, it's more like Spiritual Weapon movement. For instance, you can't Longstrider it, and difficult terrain would not reduce its movement to 7.5'. Technically by RAW (not a compliment) it could even move through space occupied by hostile creatures, as long as the destination square is unoccupied.

If it were a creature with a walking/climbing speed of 15' it couldn't do any of that.

None of this matters in play though because a reasonable DM will just have it do something reasonable instead of sticking to RAW.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    The party I DM for was swarmed by a mob last night, close quarters melee combat, and the enemy wizard dropped a couple of fog clouds to make ranged combat less good, and the party sorcerer (shadow) dropped a darkness at one point to cover a withdrawal.

Artificer had summoned protector cannon.
    Using a bonus action, he on each round ensured that 1d8+mod Temp HP were applied to his party members. To include himself, each round at least two of the party were within range, and they got 7, 8, 8, and 9 for the four rounds the canon was up.

It ended up being worth greater than 50 HP of damage prevention: my little mooks were kind of hot on their to hit rolls, but they kept hitting Temp HP.

Beats a first level heal spell by ... a lot.
    I call him Protector Cheese now.

Eldritch Cannon: Protector offers damage mitigation round by round ... as long as the enemy does not think to (or in our case, can't see to) knock it out.
    Good luck. It has high AC and gives itself the THP as well lol.
    I have one player who is using the protector as a mini off tank Because of this.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stoutstien View Post
    Good luck. It has high AC and gives itself the THP as well lol.
    I have one player who is using the protector as a mini off tank Because of this.
    not worried, it's a fun group and if I need to ramp up challenge, it's easy to do in this edition.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society