Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default L5R 3ER - Full Defense Posture

So I'm going to be running a L5R game soon using the revised 3rd Edition book and I have some questions about what actions can be done while in the Full Defense Posture.

First off, in the Full Defense entry it says:

"...you make an Agility/Defense roll and use that roll instead of your Reflexes x5 for determining your TN to be Hit. You may only apply this bonus against a number of opponents equal to your Insight Rank. You may allocate these uses as you are attacked, but you allocate these uses versus attackers for which you are unaware."

If I'm reading it correctly, that means that if I choose not to designate an attacker to apply the bonus to, and that attacker decides to attack me, if I am aware of him I can't apply my bonus to him. But if I am unaware of him, then I can apply this bonus against his attack, assuming I haven't allocated these uses towards other targets. Am I reading this correctly, or is this some kind of a typo?

Secondly, I've seen it said that you can't make an attack while in the Full Defense Posture. However, I can't find anywhere in the book where that is specified. In the Melee Attack entry it says you can move half your speed and attack while in the Attack Posture, and that you can move your full speed and attack if you make a Raise on the attack, but it does not expressly forbid an attack while in Full Defense. Likewise the Full Defense entry says nothing about not being able to make an attack. In fact, the only action that I see any mention of the Full Defense posture is the Move action which says you can only move at half your speed. I feel like I am missing something here. Could someone point me in the right direction?
    Be happy. Be mad. Be happily mad.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: L5R 3ER - Full Defense Posture

Quote Originally Posted by PersonofJid View Post
    First off, in the Full Defense entry it says:

"...you make an Agility/Defense roll and use that roll instead of your Reflexes x5 for determining your TN to be Hit. You may only apply this bonus against a number of opponents equal to your Insight Rank. You may allocate these uses as you are attacked, but you allocate these uses versus attackers for which you are unaware."

If I'm reading it correctly, that means that if I choose not to designate an attacker to apply the bonus to, and that attacker decides to attack me, if I am aware of him I can't apply my bonus to him. But if I am unaware of him, then I can apply this bonus against his attack, assuming I haven't allocated these uses towards other targets. Am I reading this correctly, or is this some kind of a typo?
    That is correct. Basically, you announce that you wish for these uses to be applied against targets you are not yet aware of, making you pay more attention to potentially hidden attackers rather than who you still see. It's not a great way of handling it, tbh, but that is in fact how it works.

What you could do to make it work somewhat better is that the GM asks before the PC is attacked if they wish to apply the Full Defense bonus against this attack or not when they are about to be attacked. "A ninja appears out of the shadow, raising his sword against you. Do you wish to use your defenses against him?" If there's a giant bushi wielding a tetsubo nearby that hasn't acted yet, it might make them want to consider who is the most dangerous one.

Quote Originally Posted by PersonofJid View Post
    Secondly, I've seen it said that you can't make an attack while in the Full Defense Posture. However, I can't find anywhere in the book where that is specified. In the Melee Attack entry it says you can move half your speed and attack while in the Attack Posture, and that you can move your full speed and attack if you make a Raise on the attack, but it does not expressly forbid an attack while in Full Defense. Likewise the Full Defense entry says nothing about not being able to make an attack. In fact, the only action that I see any mention of the Full Defense posture is the Move action which says you can only move at half your speed. I feel like I am missing something here. Could someone point me in the right direction?
    Page 171 in the Revised Corebook (or 168 in the not-Revised Corebook) lists a table of what actions you can't and cannot do in Attack Stance, Full Attack Stance, and Full Defense Stance. All forms of attacks are listed "No" under Full Defense, including spellcasting (Misc. Action - Complex).

EDIT: While I understand the appeal of 3rd edition for its bigger numbers and Free Raises galore, I do recommend maybe porting in the more streamlined combat system of 4E. It does help things run more smoothly, in my opinion and experience. It also does away with Tides of Battle, the Stances are a bit more varied and simplified, but easier to use.
    Last edited by Faily; 2020-03-08 at 11:18 AM.
    RHoD: Soah | SC: Green Sparrow | WotBS: Sheliya |RoW: Raani | SA: Ariste | IG: Hemali | RoA: Abelia | WftC: Elize | Zeitgeist: Rutile
    Mystara: Othariel | Vette | Scarlet

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    While I understand the appeal of 3rd edition for its bigger numbers and Free Raises galore, I do recommend maybe porting in the more streamlined combat system of 4E. It does help things run more smoothly, in my opinion and experience. It also does away with Tides of Battle, the Stances are a bit more varied and simplified, but easier to use.
    I know the OP, and the reason we're using 3rd is because, well, we have the books. We've sat on them for over a decade at this point, but that's why we're using 3rd. I didn't know that there was an appeal for bigger numbers between 3rd and 4th editions.

Perhaps we'll look at 4th edition books in the future, since this isn't the first time I've heard someone say 4th is a pretty good system.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Guard View Post
    I know the OP, and the reason we're using 3rd is because, well, we have the books. We've sat on them for over a decade at this point, but that's why we're using 3rd. I didn't know that there was an appeal for bigger numbers between 3rd and 4th editions.

Perhaps we'll look at 4th edition books in the future, since this isn't the first time I've heard someone say 4th is a pretty good system.
    If you guys like 3E better, than you go with that. All groups are different.

I'm personally a fan of 4E over 3E, but I miss a lot of stuff from 3E. But if I had to go back to 3E, I'd want to drag the combat system of 4E with me because it's much easier to work with.
    RHoD: Soah | SC: Green Sparrow | WotBS: Sheliya |RoW: Raani | SA: Ariste | IG: Hemali | RoA: Abelia | WftC: Elize | Zeitgeist: Rutile
    Mystara: Othariel | Vette | Scarlet