Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default 3.5 MoI & ToB game (filled)

Just like it says on the tin. I've made 2 or 3 in the past year or so, and the games usually fell apart before they even began.

I'm not looking for anything fancy at all. Simple 3.5, whatever books the dm is comfortable with (obviously magic of incarnum would need to be included), not a big fan of house rules or alternate rules otherwise. I'm not picky about starting level or party count, but I would hope that the game would last a fair few levels. No real preference for theming or tone.

That's it. Hope someone grabs hold!
    Last edited by Buufreak; 2020-03-28 at 09:19 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: I want to play a totemist

Just noticed my brain fart, I meant totemist. Definitely want to play a totemist.
    Baamaa lyh ayd so telg.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lol, where was the mistake? Pending interest depending on whatever DM you manage to summon.
    ~Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the Illya Avatar!~

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Will you be open to a game with only Magic of incarnum and ToB? starting lvl 2 and aiming at a few adventures to lvl 5 or 6?

I could perhaps DM something like that.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd be happy to see it go even further, but don't want you to play outside your comfort zone.

Now do keep in mind that parts of MoI and ToB rely on PHB1 content, so they would be on the table as well, assumedly.
    Baamaa lyh ayd so telg.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Auranghzeb View Post
    Will you be open to a game with only Magic of incarnum and ToB? starting lvl 2 and aiming at a few adventures to lvl 5 or 6?

I could perhaps DM something like that.
    Yea I'm curious what you mean by just those two.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

like PHI and PHII and those two as the only splatbooks. Though If you would be willing to play only with classes from ToB and MoI, that would actually be interesting. Though perhaps too limited.

I was thinking of a low magic world where Incarnum Users and Martial Characters excell.

8. - Top - End - #8

Curious. Perhaps remove the cleric, wizard, and sorcerer... Remove the spellcasting from the druid... What do you think of leaving spellcasting on ranger, paladin, and bard? The former two have variants that eliminate it if you prefer but I like the idea of having a limited form of each type of magic. I'd be perfectly happy with removing the spellcasting entirely though. Would suggest leaving out the PHBII classes, at least, as the Knight starts to feel like the ToB classes and the others are very arcane-focused. How do you feel about including Tome of Magic in addition to ToB and MoI?

I don't think you'll find it too difficult to get people to agree playing only classes from those two or three splatbooks. It adds a distinct flavor to the game, and places neat bounds on the power level.
    Last edited by The Kool; 2020-03-09 at 01:57 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Even a ranger could be made an initiator. Kinda true with Paladin and possible with Bard. But yea, I'd be willing to try that out.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm going to redirect attention to the op and the line about house rules.
    Baamaa lyh ayd so telg.

11. - Top - End - #11

Right, so no house rules. If one were to leave out certain classes from the PHB and declare the world low-magic, would that be considered a house rule?
    If you need me for anything, or I forgot about something, PM me and I'll see it.
    Undead- er, undying gratitude to linklele for the avatar.
    Quote Originally Posted by frogglesmash View Post
    I guess I'll amend my original statement and instead say that Pathfinder is close enough to 3.5 to spark an argument about how close it actually is.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Buufreak View Post
    I'm going to redirect attention to the op and the line about house rules.
    This, just this.

I made a proposition to the OP, if Buufreak is comfortable with it. I rather ban all tier 1-2 classes than house rule magic.

13. - Top - End - #13

That said, I'd probably try to use both systems if that was all.

14. - Top - End - #14

In my personal paradigm, I consider a declaration of which classes or magic systems exist just as much normal setting definition as what books are allowed, but I fully understand that not everyone agrees.

EDIT: To clarify, you mentioned something about banning T1 and T2 classes being okay. The problem is that you then have to define T1 and T2 classes. While some are generally accepted, others have to be given consideration because their tier is less obvious or not previously discussed. Thus, the end result is that you have to come up with a list of classes you're banning anyway. I just described this as cutting to the chase and being less arbitrary; for example, "all vancian casters" or "all full casters" are off limits, which in the scope of 3-4 books (PHB1, MoI, ToB) can be described with a short list (Cleric, Wizard, Druid), and in certain cases an argument might (might, not must) be made that certain classes are still playable with their spellcasting stripped away (Druid, Ranger, Paladin, looking at you). From a certain point of view, that's very close to what you already suggested, I was just pondering options to achieve the desired result. "PHB1, PHB2, MoI, and ToB, but please pick a class from MoI or ToB" is another very similar way of handing it, and was something you suggested as well.
    Last edited by The Kool; 2020-03-09 at 10:41 PM.
    If you need me for anything, or I forgot about something, PM me and I'll see it.
    Undead- er, undying gratitude to linklele for the avatar.
    Quote Originally Posted by frogglesmash View Post
    I guess I'll amend my original statement and instead say that Pathfinder is close enough to 3.5 to spark an argument about how close it actually is.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Kool View Post
    Would suggest leaving out the PHBII classes, at least, as the Knight starts to feel like the ToB classes and the others are very arcane-focused.
    I don't get that feeling at all. Dragon shaman, in particular, is all su and far more ritualistic worship than arcane study.

How do you feel about including Tome of Magic in addition to ToB and MoI?
    I don't. Shadowcaster and truenamer are about the definition of half assed, so you are essentially asking for binder. As with the op, again, not looking for a mountain of bells and whistles.

This, just this.

I made a proposition to the OP, if Buufreak is comfortable with it. I rather ban all tier 1-2 classes than house rule magic.
    I'm cool with the occasional moderate level caster npc or villain. But I'm fine with a general blanket statement of "don't be that guy."

Quote Originally Posted by The Kool View Post
    tier stuff
    Neither the time or place, dude. Take it to the discussion board, not recruitment.
    Baamaa lyh ayd so telg.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Planetar

What, a 3.5 game that wants to put Tome of Battle up front? Count me in!

Basic concept: good old wandering swordsman, weapon of choice being the katana. At this stage I'm still tossing up between Warblade or Swordsage (or at least trying to work out which one would work better at these low levels for the katana) but I'm definitely interested to come along for this if you'll have me along!

17. - Top - End - #17

I'm assuming by "Don't be that guy" you mean just don't abuse the class rather than ban it straight out.

Also not to cause an argument, but is the binder really too many "bells and whistles"?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Ok, Buufreak. I'm willing to DM a game with the following ideas:

-Classes: MoI and ToB + Rogue, Ranger, Paladin, Fighter, Dragon Shaman, Dragonfire Adept, Bard and Barbarian. Won't house rule any class, but I will suggest using one of the many fixes for the soulborn.

-Races: MoI, Core, shifters and goliaths.

-Feats and PrC from PH, PHII, MoI, ToB, Sandstorm, Races of the Dragon. Any that fits a land that is slowly but irrevocably turning into a wasteland.

-LVl 2-3 fast leveling up by milestone.

-There are no gods, or at least they haven't answered in ages. Religion is shamanistic, either adoring dragons or magical beasts.

-the study of arcane magic is forgotten, but spellbooks can be found and it could possibly lead to someone learning magic.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Approved!!

Quick question, does a goliath meld large size natural weapons?
    Baamaa lyh ayd so telg.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Not sure about the Goliath

give me a few days to prepare the 16 and the setting. But you can start working with the crunch.

Fluff will be something along the following lines:

-A terrible event took place to the west, far beyond the unapproachable steppe, shamans felt it. And the fey folk (elves) and the mountain folks (goliaths and dwarves) felt it too. Since then, terrible sandstorms have swept the land and some of the once-thriving villages in the western border have been reduced to ashes and sand. This has been going on for almost a human generation, progressively pushing back villages, lakes, forests and trading routes.

Elves and dwarves have mostly ignored it, as their lives are long and they think this will pass as human things pass. Besides, their lands are protected by the dragon spine hills. Goliath's lands, human lands and some wilder forests to the north and south are suffering the worst effects. Individuals and groups try to find out what might be the cause. Some even venture into the once-dreaded steppe, where the savage tribes once roamed free and wild unified by the Ruler of the Greatest City Ever Built, far west into the unknown.

Adventure will be a mix of hack and slash, terror and exploring.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

As I've said before: I'm a very patient pink amorphous genie-demon-blob. Take all the time you need.
    Baamaa lyh ayd so telg.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Big 16

Spoiler: Sixteen
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
    Dungeons & Dragons 3.5

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

terror, exploring, dungeon crawl

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
    Looking for no more than 5 players

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
    Play by Post on the GitP Forums

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    Characters will begin the game at 3th level

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    Standard equipment for lvl 1 plus 4000gp of non-magical equipment. special materials, alchemy and others are ok.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

Classes: any MoI, any ToB + Rogue, Barbarian, Fighter, Adept*, Bard, Ranger, Warlock (but not clawlock), Hexblade, Duskblade(elves only), Swashbuckler, Dragon Shamans but not dragonfire adepts.

*Adepts get Turn undead at lvl 4.

*Paladins and soulborns are the same in this game still need to figure them out.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

all core(Monster manual included) +MoI +Sandstorm +Goliaths +Shifters.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
    28 Point Buy Abilities

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

Characters can be of any good or neutral alignment.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

Multi-classing has no xp penalty but is limited to 3 classes.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

Players will roll their own dice. DM will roll “behind the screen”

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

variant classes from the srd are generally accepted. And suggestion to fix the soulborn too. That is all. Please be kind and don't ask.

As the game advances classes like wizard or cleric may open up.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

A background for your character is required. Who are they? What are their goals? Why are they going into the wasteland?

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

different stuff

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

As specified above. Nothing else. Please read this and don't ask.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Planetar

Formally registering interest!

As said, looking at a martial adept: Swordsage 2/Warblade 1. Focusing on the katana.

And just to confirm so I don't get it wrong ... though it's not listed as equipment in PHB 1 or 2, I take since it's mentioned in ToB as an associated weapon of the Diamond Mind school - is a katana within the rules, and would a katana just be a masterwork bastard sword (as Oriental Adventures describes it) i.e. 1d10, 19-20/x2, +1 enhancement bonus to attack rolls due to the masterwork quality of the weapon? That is, there's no such thing as a "masterwork" katana, it's just a katana since it already has the masterwork quality?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    Formally registering interest!

As said, looking at a martial adept: Swordsage 2/Warblade 1. Focusing on the katana.

And just to confirm so I don't get it wrong ... though it's not listed as equipment in PHB 1 or 2, I take since it's mentioned in ToB as an associated weapon of the Diamond Mind school - is a katana within the rules, and would a katana just be a masterwork bastard sword (as Oriental Adventures describes it) i.e. 1d10, 19-20/x2, +1 enhancement bonus to attack rolls due to the masterwork quality of the weapon? That is, there's no such thing as a "masterwork" katana, it's just a katana since it already has the masterwork quality?
    Use that Katana from Oriental adventures. That's fine.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Any word on goliath and nat weapons?
    Baamaa lyh ayd so telg.

26. - Top - End - #26

I would be interested as a shifter barbarian / swordsage. It's not super important just yet but would it be possible to go in to weretouched master eventually? And to use the pre errata version of the class?

Edit: Also are flaws and/or traits allowed? and how do we generate hp?
    Last edited by Dread_Head; 2020-03-12 at 03:05 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Buufreak View Post
    Any word on goliath and nat weapons?
    Can't find anything that says they do so lets assume they don't get larger natural weapons from powerful build, if anyone can show me differently, please do.

They can use larger manufatured weapons. But that does not mean that soulmelds shaped by goliaths are larger than medium.

Quote Originally Posted by Dread_Head View Post
    I would be interested as a shifter barbarian / swordsage. It's not super important just yet but would it be possible to go in to weretouched master eventually? And to use the pre errata version of the class?

Edit: Also are flaws and/or traits allowed? and how do we generate hp?
    Max Hp

No flaws and no traits, flaws tend to be irrelevant. Let's just give everyone an extra feat usable either at lvl 1 or at lvl 5.

I will be very open regarding PrCs. If you can, for example, build a bard that qualifies for Incantatrix, go ahead. However, I reserve the right to ban anything that I deem out of place. In any case I'd appreciate if you could detail the differences between the errata version and the pre errata version.

28. - Top - End - #28

Max Hp

No flaws and no traits, flaws tend to be irrelevant. Let's just give everyone an extra feat usable either at lvl 1 or at lvl 5.

I will be very open regarding PrCs. If you can, for example, build a bard that qualifies for Incantatrix, go ahead. However, I reserve the right to ban anything that I deem out of place. In any case I'd appreciate if you could detail the differences between the errata version and the pre errata version.
    Great, extra feat will do nicely, takes so many to actually make shifting a worthwhile investment.

So post errata weretouched master capstone lets you use two uses of shifting to change into your alternate form which replaces your stats, effectively invalidating all your investment in it. It's basically a single animal very limited version of wild shape which sucks. Pre errata it acted more like lycanthropy, giving you a hybrid or animal form when shifted. Additionally you added the shifted stats on top of your regular stats rather than replacing them which synergizes much better with a shifter build.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Can't find anything that says they do so lets assume they don't get larger natural weapons from powerful build, if anyone can show me differently, please do.

They can use larger manufatured weapons. But that does not mean that soulmelds shaped by goliaths are larger than medium.
    Of note, from the same book we have the Feral Gargun, who like Goliath is a medium sized creature with powerful build. They also have natural claw attacks that deal 1d6, which is appropriate for a large size claw weapon. For further help of bridging the two races, Garguns also have Goliath blood, which makes them count as Goliath for the purpose of anything race would affect.

Just trying to sort it out before I go gen'ing a sheet.
    Last edited by Buufreak; 2020-03-12 at 01:27 PM.
    Baamaa lyh ayd so telg.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Sure, but those are the Feral Gargun's claws, not soulmelds. Yust like a Goliath using a medium sized sword uses it at medium sized damage. Not even monk is the same, since the unnarmed damage is actually the goliath's body. Soulmelds are natural attacks, but not the Goliath's natural attacks.