Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: I want to play a totemist

But wouldnt it stand to reason that bigger body makes bigger claws, and thus shapes larger natural weapons?
    Baamaa lyh ayd so telg.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Planetar

Well, here's Stavros Cedarborn, pretty much done subject to final tweaks and the notes below...

(1) I improvised a couple of fluff elements, which are absolutely subject to DM acceptance or fiat. Off the back of the rough idea that the setting is essentially a world slowly being consumed by the encroachment of the Waste over a generation, I've made up two things:

• Prior to the Waste beginning its encroachment, there was a legendary isolated monastery called the Crag at which martial adept training was practiced and taught. (This has a rough analogue with the original Temple of Nine Swords out of ToB, I haven't been any more specific than that, the Crag could be or contain almost anything). As the Waste encroached, though, the Crag fell, its location lost in the shifting sands.

• When the Waste began to encroach on human and goliath lands, an order/sect/organisation was formed out of martial adepts from the Crag. Calling itself the Oasis, the organisation, composed of small cells called Circles based in regions or villages, devoted itself to helping mitigate or hold back the effects of the Waste on human and goliath lands. However, as the Waste encroachment went further and further over the course of the generation, and particularly after the Crag was lost, morale suffered and the Oasis circles one by one were corrupted. Some turned to the view that the ends justified the means, rendering them more brutal or cruel. Other circles turned to outright banditry or protection rackets, though many hypocritically held onto their status as the Oasis or fooled themselves they were still following the Oasis mission.

These two fluff elements give Stavros a background and a mission in life: he is a disillusioned former member of an Oasis Circle, and his quest in life is to find the Crag. That's his main reason for travelling into the Waste. As said, this is all improvised off the rough setting details as known - if it's off setting or right off theme please let me know and I'll rework, I don't want to step on toes.

(2) I went with the 10 Minute Background method of building the character (though it did take me more than 10 minutes :) ), so I've included his background, three potential goals for the character, three associates, two secrets, and three memories into the sheet for the DM to ab/use. :) Will this do for character fluff details, or would you prefer something more specific?

(3) I notice part of the adventure will include exploration. As such I'm assuming wilderness travel will be a part of it, so I've bought up stuff like a Hydration Suit on the presumption there'll be environmental hazards given the Waste is a hot desert. Hope I'm right on that...

(4) I went and bought a dromedary camel as a mount, going off Sandstorm's specifications and again presuming we'll be going into the Waste. As such, also bought feed bags and I'm assuming a fair amount of stuff can be stowed in good old saddlebags. The mount is not intended for riding in battle. Hope it's on theme.

(5) Bitterleaf Oil: it's out of Races of the Dragon, and it provides a bit of natural, nonmagical healing at least to kobolds, and there's nothing that says it can't apply to humans. If this is a low magic setting I'm assuming there'll not be much in the way of magical healing around - is it okay for this stuff to be used?

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

GOT IT!

MoI, page 54: Damage Values: The damage values given for soulmelds
    that grant natural weapons are for Medium characters.
    Meldshapers larger or smaller than Medium should adjust
    these damage values as normal for weapons of sizes other
    than Medium (see page 114 of the Player’s Handbook).

That's the best citation I can find to argue that Larger creatures get larger weapons (and by effect, creatures with powerful build that can use larger weapons would get them, de facto, a la Gargun and their naturally larger claws).
    Baamaa lyh ayd so telg.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    Well, here's Stavros Cedarborn, pretty much done subject to final tweaks and the notes below...

(1) I improvised a couple of fluff elements, which are absolutely subject to DM acceptance or fiat. Off the back of the rough idea that the setting is essentially a world slowly being consumed by the encroachment of the Waste over a generation, I've made up two things:

• Prior to the Waste beginning its encroachment, there was a legendary isolated monastery called the Crag at which martial adept training was practiced and taught. (This has a rough analogue with the original Temple of Nine Swords out of ToB, I haven't been any more specific than that, the Crag could be or contain almost anything). As the Waste encroached, though, the Crag fell, its location lost in the shifting sands.

• When the Waste began to encroach on human and goliath lands, an order/sect/organisation was formed out of martial adepts from the Crag. Calling itself the Oasis, the organisation, composed of small cells called Circles based in regions or villages, devoted itself to helping mitigate or hold back the effects of the Waste on human and goliath lands. However, as the Waste encroachment went further and further over the course of the generation, and particularly after the Crag was lost, morale suffered and the Oasis circles one by one were corrupted. Some turned to the view that the ends justified the means, rendering them more brutal or cruel. Other circles turned to outright banditry or protection rackets, though many hypocritically held onto their status as the Oasis or fooled themselves they were still following the Oasis mission.

These two fluff elements give Stavros a background and a mission in life: he is a disillusioned former member of an Oasis Circle, and his quest in life is to find the Crag. That's his main reason for travelling into the Waste. As said, this is all improvised off the rough setting details as known - if it's off setting or right off theme please let me know and I'll rework, I don't want to step on toes.

(2) I went with the 10 Minute Background method of building the character (though it did take me more than 10 minutes :) ), so I've included his background, three potential goals for the character, three associates, two secrets, and three memories into the sheet for the DM to ab/use. :) Will this do for character fluff details, or would you prefer something more specific?

(3) I notice part of the adventure will include exploration. As such I'm assuming wilderness travel will be a part of it, so I've bought up stuff like a Hydration Suit on the presumption there'll be environmental hazards given the Waste is a hot desert. Hope I'm right on that...

(4) I went and bought a dromedary camel as a mount, going off Sandstorm's specifications and again presuming we'll be going into the Waste. As such, also bought feed bags and I'm assuming a fair amount of stuff can be stowed in good old saddlebags. The mount is not intended for riding in battle. Hope it's on theme.

(5) Bitterleaf Oil: it's out of Races of the Dragon, and it provides a bit of natural, nonmagical healing at least to kobolds, and there's nothing that says it can't apply to humans. If this is a low magic setting I'm assuming there'll not be much in the way of magical healing around - is it okay for this stuff to be used?

The fluff works

The character is pretty solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Buufreak View Post
    GOT IT!

MoI, page 54: Damage Values: The damage values given for soulmelds
    that grant natural weapons are for Medium characters.
    Meldshapers larger or smaller than Medium should adjust
    these damage values as normal for weapons of sizes other
    than Medium (see page 114 of the Player’s Handbook).

That's the best citation I can find to argue that Larger creatures get larger weapons (and by effect, creatures with powerful build that can use larger weapons would get them, de facto, a la Gargun and their naturally larger claws).
    Ok, that works.

It will take me a bit longer to set everything up. I'm in Spain and I work in education so right now it is a mess over here and we are trying to set up a platform so kids can take lessons on-line.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh dude, don't sweat it. My entire US state just closed all schools, including private and college. Take the time you need.
    Baamaa lyh ayd so telg.

6. - Top - End - #36

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Buufreak let's see some charater sheet.

I can start setting up things tomorrow.

we can start with two or three players or you could change the title of the thread so people know we are recruiting.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'll be working up a Dwarven Incarnate, NG Dorian Ironhide, with plans toward ironsoul forgemaster.
    Last edited by jesterjeff; 2020-03-14 at 11:01 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry, weekends tend to be busy for me. Rom Thok is still a bit bare bones, statistics wise. As for character and arc, I planned for him to come from the usual tribal society that Goliath are found in, but was one of the few practitioners of the shamanistic arts (or what the tribe deems as such). He uses the soul energy of the very spirits around him to adapt quickly to surroundings and situations, and only strikes out with the full force of nature when necessary.

Still young in his practices, the tribe has grown notice of the encroaching blight, and he was first to volunteer to journey and see what is becoming of the land. He isn't the brightest or the wisest of the shaman, but he is perhaps the strongest, and that, he considers, counts where it matters.
    Baamaa lyh ayd so telg.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

I'd like to post interest m'self. And I have a favorite Soulborn fix to offer up to you. If you decide you like this class, I'll put together an Azurin War Soul.

Edit: forgot to add the link to the fix.

War Soul
    Last edited by LairdMaon; 2020-03-15 at 06:07 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: 3.5 MoI & ToB game (now recruiting)

May I use this DFA Fix?

Woops, read the proper 16. My bad!

Edit: Probably gonna go Totemist.
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2020-03-15 at 06:54 PM.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by LairdMaon View Post
    I'd like to post interest m'self. And I have a favorite Soulborn fix to offer up to you. If you decide you like this class, I'll put together an Azurin War Soul.

Edit: forgot to add the link to the fix.

War Soul
    Accepted. Anything is better than the MoI out of the box Soulborn.

I was tempted to use Bel Gareth's fix to Incarnum but Buufreak expressed a preference for little Home Brew. The exceptions are paladin and Soulborn.

Can't say when can we start. At work, we are trying to set up a platform for online teaching for the quarantine... or we could lose some serious money...

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Auranghzeb View Post
    Accepted. Anything is better than the MoI out of the box Soulborn.
    Spectacular! I'll have a sheet done before long.

Can't say when can we start. At work, we are trying to set up a platform for online teaching for the quarantine... or we could lose some serious money...
    As a father with kids, thank you for what you're doing!

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by LairdMaon View Post
    Spectacular! I'll have a sheet done before long.

What about next Monday to start?

As a father with kids, thank you for what you're doing!
    There's also the selfish income thing... so nothing to say thanks about. Though if I didn't care for the kids I would work somewhere else :-)

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Dawli the wanderer Neutral good Dwarven Ranger.
    Last edited by Monsterpoodle; 2020-04-28 at 04:07 AM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

I'm very interested in this and would like to request this Soulborn fix.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    I'm very interested in this and would like to request this Soulborn fix.
    Sorry, somehow I completely missed this.

Fix approved, you can start working on the sheet.

What about next monday to start?
    Last edited by Auranghzeb; 2020-03-18 at 07:33 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

looks interesting - a smig late to the party but I can get something for this
    question GM
    as MM and i presume by that it is all (MM1-5) do you have any issues with allowing the petal MM3 p120 LA+2?
    I can do other things if not

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

not a big fan of petals pixies and other similar races. So I rather if you chose something else.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

not a big fan of petals pixies and other similar races. So I rather if you chose something else.
    sure thing,
    https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1654849 -edited is more or less mechanically done
    Last edited by samduke; 2020-03-18 at 12:07 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Don't have any fluff up yet, but I have the crunch pretty well finalized for my Azurin Soulborn/Crusader. I should have it completely finished later today.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2020-03-19 at 04:23 PM.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Just op checking in. I know things are kinda insane right now, world what it is. Stay strong, gamers!
    Baamaa lyh ayd so telg.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I feel you. By Tuesday I'll have a clearer idea on whether I can actually DM the game. Remote work is pilling up. and the motivation for p&b is going away by the minute during the quarantine.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

I'll have Ahz, the Fremen-flavored Harpooner (Azurin War Soul) done pretty soon. He's nearly complete already.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Could someone make a nice table?

We can start next Tuesday-Wednesday. Days are a bit indiferent in the current state of affairs.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm on mobile, I can make one in a few hours.
    Baamaa lyh ayd so telg.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

Ahz, Azurin War Soul

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

So today went to hell in a hand basket. If anyone wants to beat me to the table, go for it. Otherwise, it'll be sometime tomorrow.
    Baamaa lyh ayd so telg.

29. - Top - End - #59

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Planetar

As requested. For the moment I'm only tabulating those who've got an actual CS together, whether it's bare bones or not...

Player Name Character Name Alignment, Race, and Class/es
    buufreak Rom Thok CG Goliath Totemist
    Saintheart Stavros Cedarborn LN Human Swordsage/Warblade
    Monsterpoodle Dawli the Wanderer NG Dwarven Ranger
    samduke Bonnie N Human Swordsage
    Rizban No Name Yet? LG Azurin Soulborn/Crusader
    LairdMaon Ahz LG Azurin War Soul

Hyperlinks in the class names are to approved fixes of classes.