Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 31 of 45 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Seaside 5: Kinda like One Piece without the anime

[Selekhael's First Quest]

The two boys exchange a glance. The younger glares the at the older. "This is important. What if the goblins get meaner?"

The older boy balls his fists and squares his shoulders-

-but relents.

"We were playing in the forest. The part of the woods da told us not to go in."

This story is already pretty great.

"There was this ugly thing made of stacked rocks with antlers and things on it and we knocked it over," he says.

"You knocked it over," his younger brother corrects. "I didn't want to touch it."

The older boy pulls a sour face.

"We heard yelling off in the woods. And that night the goblins started causing trouble."

Hmm...

Some kind of totem? Maybe? One way or the other, this is a potential lead.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

2. - Top - End - #902
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Selekhael's First Quest

"So maybe if it, uh, gets fixed, the goblins will stop?" Selekhael asks. She gives the kids a conspiratorial look. "Don't worry, your secret's safe with me." She means it. The only person she might possibly tell is Arukael, and he wouldn't tell anyone.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

3. - Top - End - #903
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Vahnavoi View Post
    [Pyramid on a volcanic island]

The man looks confused when Leah shirks away from his touch. "There's no reason to get upset" , he says, crossing his hands back on the table, sounding almost... hurt?

"But you are right, I am neither man nor god. As said, I am no-one. But do understand what that means. I am not the one on the chair, Miss Vulpan. I am not the one searching for the light. I am merely one of the shadows on the wall, cast by the prick of light you let in when you opened a passage into this structure. I can only point you to a direction. I hope it's the right one."

He leans back, pensive. "... now, as for what your companion is asking... I am not intimately familiar with this "Insatiable Night", but we are talking about some kind of a night goddess, yes? There are a fair few of those here, locked in the confines of the Octahedron. I can't say if directing you to any of them would be of help but... your companion was hoping to find treasure, correct? If she had simply asked, I would've directed her to the nearest treasury, but before this connection, I would not have been able to properly tell what she might find valuable. So... "

He taps his fingers together, looking up at the ceiling. "I suppose the question is, what, exactly, does your companion want to find? If it is within confines of this structure, I can show a path to it."
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    [Pyramid on a volcanic island]

Oh cool he can hear her.

"Okay not Nyx then," Magdalene replies. "Great."

That takes a big load off.

Whatever this thing is, it is unrelated to the slumbering gods or her home world. That's fine by her. So long as they remain asleep or dead or whatever that's best for everyone.

"If these gods are so small that they can be locked in a box I really don't care about them," Magdalene clarifies. She's not concerned with small gods. They're the least of her worries. "Whole reason I came down here was 'cuz of the gravity thing. That's what starts happening where Nyx has been eating holes in the world."

That sounds like fun, right?

She perks up at the mention of treasure, though.

"Reagents. Iron. Stuff I can build things with. Schematics for weapon designs. Or if you've got any magical gear laying around that I can use then hey I'm not picky," Magdalene rattles off. "Anything that would help me smash the servants of the old gods in the teeth better."

Some of them have lots of teeth for smashing.

[Pyramid on a Volcanic Island]

"Is that all you want?" Leah asks the Black Fox, curiously quizzical. "To direct us to where we want to go? What do you want in return?" These entities, while often abnormal, tend to be selfishly aligned. That's just some universal constant that applies to everything. As far as Leah knows. The Octahedron ghosts can prove her wrong here she supposes.

Though, Magdalene feels no such reservations about asking for directions. Well at least she was focused on an agenda and knew what she want. Leah's goals were more ambiguous. Investigate for the villagers. Find a way off the darkest timeline.

What does one ask for that?

Ehhh... she'd rather find out what this intelligence's angle is before she asks about anything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

4. - Top - End - #904
    Orc in the Playground

[ Pyramid Octahedron on a volcanic island]

The "Black Fox" reaches into the breast pocket of his suit and takes out a small notebook. "It sounds like your companion needs an armory rather than a treasury. There's as much scrap iron abandoned here as you two can carry out, in forms of various weaponry, but... for someone about to battle a god, your companion seems to think awfully small. I... hmmm..."

He browses through his book and pauses contemplatively when Leah asks him her question. "... quite honestly, I have not thought of an answer to such a question for so long, I really don't have an answer ready. What do I want... hmmm... let's focus on your companion's request first. Here.. wait..."

His brow furrows and he pulls the book almost comically close to his face. "There's this... sword, you could call it... that I thought would suit your need but... It's been stolen? No, that's not right... misplaced? No..."

He scratches his head.

"Given away? I think that's closest to truth. I cannot give it to you, because a copy of it already exists in the world you entered this structure from. I... have no idea how it got there... wait... maybe I do!"

He flips through his book furiously. It's like it has way more pages than it should, based on its thickness.

"Someone has managed to... light up a Lantern, I think that would be most descriptive. There's an entire subsection that is powered up. Now that I think of it... even if you find nothing else suitable in there, the Lantern itself would probably be useful to you. A Lantern can't kill the Night - that is conceptually impossible - but I imagine it would be quite effective against anything living in the Night. "

"This said, I cannot recommend you go there. Solitary Lanterns are extremely dangerous. You might not be able to come back."

5. - Top - End - #905
    Orc in the Playground

Adrift

A small rowboat, with no mast or paddles or even a rudder, is floating aimlessly upon the surface of the water. Sat in the vessel is an elf with blue-green skin, an orange eye and purple-black dreadlocks that cascade down their back. They wear a red leather greatcoat, black silk pantaloons, a black eye-patch, and buckled black shoes. Also in the small boat is a small brass-bound chest and a cutlass with a blade of glass.

The sea-elf is clutching the box tight to their chest, glaring at the world through their one eye and muttering incoherently.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

I don't use the Registry; ask for a description if you don't know what my character looks like.

6. - Top - End - #906

[Octohedron on several places]

"Mostly I just need stuff that makes what I can already do better. Every little bit counts when you're killing things to make sure an old god doesn't wake up," Magdalene clarifies. "I've... uh... got this connection to Silvanus, right? The Hart of the Forest. I feed it food and it feeds me power. Since it's hungry. All the time. I don't think it really knows what I'm doing? Or even if it knows anything. But I've got power to spare. I just need gear that works well with my magic or gear to protect me from whatever nonsense I have to fight."

She's trying to figure out how to explain this to...

A pyramid?

"Like, you saw that axe thingy I've got? That would be great for someone with a bond to Nyx but it's basically useless to me. Except for poking stuff I don't want to touch. Great for that."

The axe in question probably gave a decent taste of what this 'Nyx' character is about. Less night as such and more eternal night. That time when the last star has burned out and the universe is left in the cold dark forever.

"The heeeck is a lantern? I figure you aren't just talking about a thing full of lamp oil?"

"I dunno goblins are scary and crazy," the boy replies.

It's true.

Goblins ARE both scary and crazy.

You generally don't want to mess with them.

Regardless! Selekhael has a good lead! She'll be able to meet back up with Arukhael when the village meets in the town's largest building for dinner. Apparently it's a communal dining hall slash meeting place? A hearty stew of chestnuts, fish, clams, and oysters will be passed around for all to share. Our heroes will be introduced as traveling heroes here to put a stop to the goblin menace, a clear answer to the village's fervent prayers for relief. They all seem to be pretty happy that Selekhael and Arukhael are here.

As the food is being passed around Arukhael will whisper, "Did you find any leads? I got a few tall tales and rumors but they sounded like idle speculation. I guess the people here have been leaving food offerings out in the woods for the goblins but apparently that hasn't been helping."

7. - Top - End - #907
    Orc in the Playground

[Adrift]

If this poor elf is lucid enough to pay attention to their surroundings, they might notice the sea around them is steaming. Boiling, in fact. As their boat drifts into the clouds, the stench of sulphur might sting their nose.

This is caused by red-hot lava slowly oozing into the sea. Their boat has drifted to the coast of an island that is still in the process of being born. In time, waves and the bubbling of water might push the boat away, causing it to drift elsewhere, but...

... veiled by the steam, something is moving on a piece of recently-cooled rock. A pale, humanoid shape. It is moving very carefully, running its fingers on the ground, advancing inch by inch. When it reaches the water, it fliches and stops, squatting and waiting, resting its hands on the ground.

It has no eyes. It barely has anything you could call a face, really. If the lonely sea-elf was silent, they might pass this creature by with neither party ever noticing the other.

But they're muttering. The faceless humanoid perks its misshapen ears and turns one towards the sound. "Gruu?"

Curious, it extends an arm towards the boat. Its arm is long, both proportionately and objectively much longer than a human's. But it still can't see what it's reaching at, so on its first few attempts, it just splashes the water near the boat as it drifts closer, before accidentally hitting its side and pushing it further away from the rocks. "Awooo!" , the creature howls disappointedly, splashing the water more vigorously and causing the boat to rock in a futile attempt to get it to drift closer.

8. - Top - End - #908
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gunsforhands View Post
    [Workout Beach]

The ink spear strikes true! Karasu wasn't really aiming at any part of the enemy in particular, so it hits the center of the tower and explodes, shattering it in a nice fireworks display. The ball underneath sputters and burbles in the waves as debris from its top splashes down around it.

Then, bubbles. In the pouring rain, the tide seems to retreat from the beach. The volleyball group knows that's not good. "Run!" one shouts over the storm. "Shouldn't we help?!" shouts another. "What?!" "I said-"

With a sudden roar, a wave rises up and looms over our heroes. Now with naught but a bit of loose metal sticking out of its top, the big ball rides its crest, aiming to ram Karasu with its face! Then Beth leaps up and beats it aside with the boat, so, at least that part's mitigated.

However they deal with the wave itself, the ball monster will end up stunned and embedded in the sand when all is said and done.
    [Workout Beach]

"Get ready, Beth!" Karasu yells as the tide retreats from the beach, no doubt in order to try and ram into any unlucky fellows in the shore with all its might. Karasu and Beth, for instance. She stretches out her hand to try and reclaim the spear, but only manages to liquefy part of it for absorption. "K***."

Karasu looks ready to bat the approaching ball, but Beth takes care of that, which leaves the oncoming wave. "Let's use the boat!" She suggests, digging her heels into the sand.
    Purple Eagle's character list
    Love is the message.

9. - Top - End - #909
    Orc in the Playground

Adrift- Volcanic Island

The elf doesn't notice the steaming water, not really. They're muttering and rocking slightly, but as the creature approaches and reaches for the boat, the elf's eye locks onto it and they hug the box tighter with one hand, reaching for the cutlass also in the boat. They stand, pointing the cutlass at the thing, holding the box tight with their other hand. They move with the rocking, staying balanced and the tip of their glass sword doesn't waver despite it. "What land is this? Are you a person, blind thing, or a beast?" The sea-elf's voice doesn't waver, and they aren't scared by it despite its ferocious appearance. Whatever put them in this boat, with no oar, rudder or mast, and no supplies, was far more terrifying than the creature ashore.

I don't use the Registry; ask for a description if you don't know what my character looks like.

10. - Top - End - #910
    Ogre in the Playground

"I've got a good lead. I'll tell you later." Selekhael made a promise not to get those kids in trouble, so she won't talk about it around all these other people. She'll tell Arukael when the two of them are alone. For now, she just enjoys the meal as much as she can and waits.

My Nexus characters

11. - Top - End - #911

[Selekhael's First Quest ]

The villagers, of course, want the heroes to regale them with tales of their deeds.

Arukhael is pretty happy to oblige, telling them about a village where its water supply had been claimed by a particularly foul tempered elemental.

He, of course, managed to drive off the dreadful fae beast.

Will Selekhael feel comfortable enough speaking to a large group of people to make mention of Marlick Bay?

One way or the other, the dinner will eventually end and the people will return to their homes SURE that before long their goblin troubles will be over.

Which means?

Once our heroes are in that abandoned house again it'll be time to talk leads.

What did Selekhael find?

12. - Top - End - #912
    Ogre in the Playground

Selekhael seems pretty quiet throughout the dinner. Buy when she and Arukael meet afterwards, she's ready to say what she found. "Some children said they knocked over a, uh, totem, in the forest. The goblins started attacking that night." It's not much to go off, but it might be helpful. Barring any other useful insights, Selekhael will most likely sleep on it and decide what to do in the morning.

My Nexus characters

13. - Top - End - #913

"I really wouldn't be shocked if the goblins set up a bunch of totems hoping someone would knock one over so they would have excuse to cause trouble," Arukhael reasons. Apparently he doesn't have very high opinion of goblins.

But Selekhael met some at GLoG didn't she?

They seemed like a nice enough people there, right?

Maybe these are some other sort of creature under the same name?

Regardless, Selekhael lays down on the straw and closes her eyes-

-and then immediately is beset upon by horrible screeching, the sound of splintering wood, and missiles being hurled at the houses. Judging by how much darker it is time has obviously passed, but it will feel as though no time at ALL had transpired for Selekhael.

Weird.

"Goblins are here,"
    Arukhael says, cracking his knuckles. "We want to drive them off. There's a good chance that they'll flee when they see signs of resistance. Don't let any of your unbound shape show or the villagers might freak out."

He'll wait a moment for Selekhael to gather her wits and then hurry out of the house!

Upon following him Selekhael will be met with a most unwelcome sight.

Goblins.

Lots of them.

They look... human. Or at least recognizable as human. But all of their proportions are off, making them appear monstrous and deformed. Too short. Too tall. Limbs all the wrong shape. Faces distorted to resemble beasts. It's like someone took the human body and mushed it around like putty, yielding things that are each as unique as they are awful. They're clad in crude iron armor all in bits and scraps and wielding cruel looking cobbled together weapons. The largest of them is maybe half again as tall as an adult human and impossible spindly, almost spider-like.

One group of goblins is heading toward the fisherman's boats to smash them to bits.

A second group of goblins with torches looks to be headed toward the building where all the shucked chestnuts are curing to set the food store alight.

A third group of goblins is trying to break into the black smith's home to make off with the town's iron supply.

Our heroes will be able to stop two of these three heinous misdeeds. Which part of the town will they save?

14. - Top - End - #914
    Ogre in the Playground

Selekhael draws her flaming sword and runs after the goblins at the fishing boats. "Hey! Stop it!" She waves the blade around sort of threateningly, but she's not exactly great at it.

My Nexus characters

15. - Top - End - #915
    Ogre in the Playground

[Octahedron in the mind]

Leah shrugs apathetically. She can't attest to Magdalene's choices or desires. They only just met! Theoretically. It's possible in the future they'll have met back in the past, but Leah hasn't reached that level of divergence yet.

It's also pretty telling that the man of many didn't know what he wanted, immediately focusing on Magdalene's request. It was entirely possible that despite all the next level metaphysical nature of things, the 'Black Fox' was simply a guide, some AI designed by an even higher power to guide people around the Octahedron. It has been known to happen.

The Lantern definitely didn't sound like one as colloquially defined either. It was probably a designation of some kind. More a title than a noun. Maybe a power source.

"What do you have that can drastically split the current timeline from its course?" Might as well see what's up on offer.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

16. - Top - End - #916
    Orc in the Playground

[Adrift - coast of a volcanic island]

The creature can't see the sword pointing at it, but it can recognize the threat in the sea-elf's voice. It takes a step back and stands straighter to appear more intimidating, a low rumble reverberating from its chest. "Grrr!" From head to toe, it is almost three meters tall, in shape somewhere between a gorilla and a giant human. Its thin lips pull back, revealing it does have at least a mouth, with yellowed teeth and prominent fangs.

It is unlikely it can speak the elf's tongue, but it might not be completely mindless either. There's a tattered rag draped around its waist, serving as a loincloth. Why, is not clear.

But beyond that, now that the elf is standing up, they can better see their surroundings. Mostly there's just black volcanic rock, trickles of lava and steam above the waters, but rising from behind a small hill, there is something shiny.

Something golden.

The gilded top of a white, limestone pyramid.

---

[Inside the Octahedron]

"I call them Lanterns, because they have the same relationship to me as a lantern has to a shadow on a wall" , the "Black Fox" answers Magdalene's inquiry, "and the same relationship to forces that create the world that you came from, as a lantern might have to a star. They project light and where something crosses that light's path... in practical terms, they alter observable reality within this structure. Fiercely. Outside of it, I can only hope their effect is drowned out by some greater light. But that's only a part of why they're dangerous to you."

He looks gravely at Leah. "The real reason why I'm worried has to do with your former question. About what I... want. This place is not really meant to have people in it anymore - like said, its creator closed shop and turned off the lights. But the Lanterns, they do not really have a purpose if there are no people watching the interplay of light and shadows they cast. I don't know how well they might've taken this dilemma. It's possible the Lantern I could point you would want you to stay. Forever. "

He gives Leah and Magdalene some time to chew on that as he resumes browsing his notebook.

"As for your latter question... you have seen how the Octahedron touches upon multiple places. In fact, it touches upon multiple worlds. It does so with no regard to... time. As such, while your personal worldlines will progress linearly within, depending on which exit you are approaching, the direction of your worldline - your arrow of time - is not constant in respect to the world you entered the Octahedron from. It would be possible to plot some complex path through this structure and the worlds it touches, that would lead you to some moment before you entered this structure." He shrugs. "I can't say much more than that, because I would need a lot of additional details to construct such a pathway. If you had a Lantern, you could probably construct one yourself. From there, you could try to create some paradoxical situation, but... I'm sorry. I cannot foretell what that would do to your world."

17. - Top - End - #917
    Orc in the Playground

Adrift- Volcanic Island

The elf clutches the box tighter, and takes a step back, toward the rear of the boat. They don't want to fight the thing- it's bigger than they are, and whilst blind it doubtless has other senses that make up for it.

They swing the cutlass so it bites easily into the side of the boat, then reach into their coat, withdrawing a snap matchlock pistol. They prepare the weapon for use, loading in a ball and gunpowder; the gunpowder was in a small jar, not a proper powder-horn, and it is now empty, and they try lighting the match with a snap of their fingers, but nothing happens. They try again, to same effect, and frown before pulling a crude spark-maker from their coat. It's quite a slow process, during which the beast could wander off, or call for help. The elf will aim at the centre of mass when ready to fire, but won't pull the trigger this post. The smell of gunpowder and the pungent reek of the match-cord could alert the beast, or the snap of the flint and steel.

18. - Top - End - #918

Selekhael threatens some goblins!

The three nasty little things, armed with crude hammers, look up from their delightful spree of destruction and decide that breaking the knees of this dumb human running toward them will be WAY more fun than breaking some boats. With a whoop of malevolent mirth. One of with a long, weaselly body and disproportionately small limbs tries slipping around behind her while the other two (one with a disquietingly owl-like visage and the other resembling a misshapen potato more than anything else) attack from in front!

Selekhael may be surprised to find that the dance of combat comes far more naturally to her than it would have before. How to move, how to anticipate, and how to cut.

As for Arukhael, he takes off toward the storage houses to try to save them from the torch. He's pretty swift of foot and he has certainly dealt with this sort of nonsense before. He sweeps one hand to the side, calling upon the Sphere of Motion, and catches one of the trio of torch-bearers with a brutal acceleration that launches the goblin skyward and a dizzying pace.

"WHAAAAaaaaaaaa...!" howls the goblin as goes rocketing off out of sight.

The other two nasty little fae, one with a nose so large it practically consumes its whole face and the other with one arm significantly larger than the other round on Arukhael and charge him! It looks like those torches are in fact spears with some gross burning material skewered on the ends.

The third group of goblins is busy smashing down the door to the blacksmith's home. That's probably no good. While this is all going down the spidery looking goblin in charge of this raid appears to have taken note of our heroes.

~Temporal Discontinuity~

The goblins seem pretty pleased by the fact that they're getting to try to smash in the blacksmith's door unhampered but then they get a rather unpleasant surprise.

Selekhael and Arukhael appear!

...again.

There are, apparently, now two pairs of them.

Seeing that they've got foes to deal with where as before they hadn't the trio of goblins immediately round on our heroes brandishing their crude weapons.

Selekhael will right away feel that twisting, tightening sensation. "Don't clear the paradox yet. Not until we're ready to leave," Arukhael warns as he readies himself to fight off the three goblins. With both of them here it should go pretty quickly. "I'm thinking dump the hot-potato on the big goblin before we snap back to the present."

The big goblin, meanwhile, looks a bit concerned by this development.

[Octohedron in Several Places/Times at Once]

Man.

The weirdness level on this little adventure is pretty high on the scale even by Magdalene's reckoning.

"Not really down with the staying somewhere forever bit," she admits. "I got monsters to kill and stuff."

Very important monsters to kill!

If the servants of the old gods manage to wake up their masters then bad things happen. Arguably worse than the bad things that are already going on!

"You said that sword isn't in the pyramid anymore right? Which way am I going?"
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2020-10-21 at 10:27 AM.

19. - Top - End - #919
    Ogre in the Playground

Hop back, slash low then high again, drive the goblin off balance. Speed up, move faster than normal, chop the other. This comes so naturally, it's weird. She's always been told killing people is wrong, but it's so easy. The strangely shaped sword sings in her hand. She's surprisingly good at this.

Discontinuity

"Should we, uh, be talking about out plans when she's, uh, right there?" Selekhael asks. She draws her sword again to chop at one of the goblins, but she seems a bit disoriented. She's here, but she's also over there? Did she really look that angry? Hopefully her being here doesn't distract her from killing the boat goblins. Maybe with a little emotional manipulation, she can make herself and Arukael seem unimportant to their past selves?
    Last edited by bc56; 2020-10-21 at 10:54 AM.

My Nexus characters

20. - Top - End - #920
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default [After Marlick Bay - Coast Crawling]

Zophiel finds it a little weird to be back around, too.
    Actually, nevermind, he found it really weird to be alone. Comparatively, being back isn't that weird.

Upon noticing how far back Anchor is, he slows down so she can catch up, and then keeps to her pace.

After a while, they get to a pretty wide river. The kind of river that looks like it could frequently have decent-sized boats traveling up and down it. Definitely deep enough that you can't wade across. The water's not moving too quickly, either, so it could easily be the kind that would have a town upriver.

"So...I'd guess that there's a trading center up there," the paladin says. "It's where I'd build one." And, a trading center probably not only has maps, but it probably also has a main road that goes right up to Inside.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

21. - Top - End - #921

Sure Selekhael had been told that killing people was wrong but do these things really count as people?

Her thing which is like a sword cleaves through one of the goblins in a riposte after it swung wide and it instantly disintegrates into a heap of old rags, rust scrap, and a gross corroded hammer. She skewers the second goblin and the case is much the same. Just magic around a core of old junk. No blood, no bones, no brain, no nothing. Dreams that have somehow chewed their way up through the foundation of the world and glomed onto some garbage to provide themselves with some degree of physicality.

Dark imaginings like these goblins shouldn't exist in the Waking World. These people shouldn't have to live in worry of offending a bunch of figments that make no sense.

The remaining potato-goblin, not to be discouraged by its fellows being destroyed, sweeps its mallet at Selekhael's legs again in a bid to shatter a knee-cap.

Meanwhile!

The two goblins move to flank Arukhael, but he steps into their attack, dodging a spear thrust and slicing the end of the weapon off before dispatching the welder. It takes some quick footwork to avoid the other goblin's counter attack, leaving Arukhael slightly off balance. Though not off balance enough to invoke Motion and flatten the disgusting little snoting into the ground. A heap of rubbish in a shallow crater is all the marks its passing.

Temporal Discontinuity

Selekhael skewers one of the goblins without too much difficulty. They really aren't that great at fighting. At least these ones aren't. Sure they're vicious little things but typically these smaller goblins come in much larger swarms. They weren't expecting a pair of Aspirants to fight back, they were only expecting frightened settlers.

Arukhael dodges a cleaver swipe and ripostes with a sweeping slash, bisecting the goblin and reducing it to a heap of rubbish. Seeing that it is out-numbered and clearly out-gunned, the remaining goblin begins shouting vulgarities at our heroes as he beats a hasty retreat toward the forest.

"I think we're fine. That was nice and quick,"
    Arukhael says, nodding toward the big goblin still some distance away. "Okay, just like when you dropped your paradox on me. But this time really reach deep and grasp hold of your Path, that feeling of Forgiveness that defines you. Clear away the debt on me, too. Once you're done I'll snap us back. We want to spend as little time in the past as possible."
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2020-10-21 at 11:38 AM.

22. - Top - End - #922
    Ogre in the Playground

Crack!
    All too human bones break. Selekhael drops to one knee and brings her blade down on the last goblin. Gah, that really hurts. She lowers her hands to her wounded knee and calls upon the sphere of Growth. Bones, grow back into place. Flesh, knit back together. Hopefully, she'll be able to stand in a few seconds.

Discontinuity

Selekhael does as told reaching deep inside herself. Forgive me. Forgive him. It's the goblin's fault. Who is she asking? She's not sure. But it will probably work, right? She transfers the paradox to the big goblin then grabs Arukael's hand. "Okay, uh, let's go back."
    Last edited by bc56; 2020-10-21 at 12:06 PM.

My Nexus characters

23. - Top - End - #923

Getting smashed in the knee really sucks.

Normally this would take someone pretty cleanly out of a fight but hey Selekhael has access to the universe's debug menu so why not abuse it right?

Applying Growth to her knee does indeed cause it to knit itself back together incredibly quickly. This is a good thing because that large, spindly goblin is heading straight toward her! She reaches for her waste, drawing a length of iron chain covered in hooks, and-

Gets blind-sided by a Motion wave from Arukhael, sending her rolling across the ground like a tumble-weed.

Only to spring back to her feet as if nothing had happened, a wide leer spreading across her face.

"Ballsy of a couple wizards sticking out their necks where they can get lopped off," the goblin sneers, lashing the chain at Arukhael who nimbly leaps back to-

Oh wait.

It wasn't actually aimed at him.

It was aimed at the ground near him, tossing up a curtain of grass and mud-

-that turns into a curtain of spiders which are flung all over him.

Yay! Spiders!

~Temporal Discontinuity~

The big goblin staggers suddenly, as if a great weight had just been dumped on her shoulders.

Arukhael gives and nod and then the two Aspirants vanish.
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2020-10-22 at 12:14 AM.

24. - Top - End - #924
    Ogre in the Playground

Selekhael raises her weapon and fires a blast of entropy at the goblin. "You leave these people alone! They didn't do anything to hurt you!" She lunges with her weapon to chop at the goblin if she can. She seems to have warmed up to the idea of killing things rather quickly. But these goblins rub her the wrong way.

My Nexus characters

25. - Top - End - #925
    Ogre in the Playground

[Octahedron]

"So is that what you want then? People gone so you can sleep in peace again? I'm just wondering because you showed up quite near a village. I can put keep out signs nearby if that's your angle." Or better yet, bury the rest of it in even more rocks. Leah can't do anything about ALL the entrances, but she can at least do that much.

Leah waves her hand. "Well, thanks for the offer anyways. Doesn't sound like anything we haven't tried already or deemed too extreme." There's always a level to time travel you always want to avoid in favor of keeping the rules of reality.

"And thanks for the illusory dinner. I guess. You can send me back now. In psychic equivalent terms." So that she can stop wearing this awful dress for one.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

26. - Top - End - #926
    Orc in the Playground

[Adrift - coast of a volcanic island]

The beast is confused. It lowers its knuckles to the ground and tilts its head. For a moment, thin red slit appear on its cheeks, vibrating as it draw in a deep breath, then close and fade back into its pale skin. "Gruu?" Apparently, it does have nostrils and a sense of smell too. But it doesn't comprehend the danger signified by this smell and these strange sounds. Even if it could see the gun, it would have no concept of what it is. The sea-elf can see it shift its weigh, preparing to leap.

Better hurry up with that shot, or the creature will jump and, most likely, capsize their boat on impact.

---

[Inside the Octahedron]

"I do not sleep. But I'd prefer non-existence to being forced to act against my purpose. I have watched... countless people wander into the dark, unable or unwilling to comprehend my instructions. They have adapted to living in the dark now, but... this place, is not meant to be dark while people are in it. And it's not meant to have people in it while it is dark. I... wish I could... "

The "Black Fox" puts his book down, sighs and leans his head in his hands. "... sorry. That got away from me for a moment. I perfectly understand if you wish to seal the entrance from the outside. It may not help those who are already trapped here, but at least it will prevent others from your world getting lost in the dark."

He grabs his book and puts it back in his pocket, then stands up and picks up his hat. "The sword is in the world you came from. I cannot tell where, my ability to locate it stops at the boundary of this structure. If you and your companion are willing to take a slight detour, I can reroute you through an archive on your way back. You might be able to catch a glimpse of the moment when the sword was given away. After that, retrace your steps, find the entrance you came from, get out and close it from the outside."

He puts his hat on and nods. "It has been a pleasure, Miss Vulpan."

Suddenly, Leah becomes acutely aware of sitting on a chair - the chair, back in the brain room. She can feel her restraints and she can feel her left hand, still wrapped around the syringe. If she focuses, she can move that hand - her flesh-and-blood hand - and pull out the syringe, ending the flow of ectoplasm into her brain and causing her to wake up.

27. - Top - End - #927

With surprising speed the goblin skitters out of the way, avoiding the wave of entropy even as the-

Well.

There really isn't anything nearby to wither. Mostly just mud streets. The the wall of that house over there weathers really quickly. Given how weathered all the buildings here are already it isn't particularly noticeable, especially in the dark. The goblin is quick and given the long reach of her chain she doesn't have any reason to want to be in swording range with Selekhael.

"And?" the goblin laughs as she lashes her chain at Selekhael. The impossible magic that suffices the weapon will make getting struck by it notably uncomfortable. To make matters worse, anywhere it strikes the mud will explode in a shower of spiders. Normally just having spiders all over you isn't that bad, but these spiders are propelled by malevolent intent and will bite mercilessly.

As Arukhael has discovered.

"AH! SPIDERS!" no one really likes to be covered in biting spiders it isn't fun. He panics briefly (most everyone would) before realizing he has a solution to his arachnid problem. He invokes the Sphere of Quality, the quintessential concept of a thing, and focuses on... mud? The spiders covering him are not spiders. They are mud. Mud is what they ought to be and mud is what they are.

Now a bit muddy and less covered in spiders-y Arukhael is already feeling quite a bit better.

[Pyramid on a Volcanic Island]

So that's it.

Some sort of old... thing.

Shadows on the walls. Some kind of simulated reality? Or... Magdalene isn't sure. This sort of stuff is WAY above her pay grade. She typically just kills things that are in need of killing because they're trying to wake up an Old God and get everyone else killed.

She'll wait for Leah to wake up, considering options here. She could go on a detour and maybe find out where a sword is that may or may not be able to help her. Granted she doesn't really do swords. She might be able to strip it of its magic and apply it to something else? Assuming it is magic. Assuming that's possible. Whole bunch of unknowns here that are not knocking a Nyx cultist's teeth out.

"That was something," Magdalene will comment when Leah comes to.

28. - Top - End - #928
    Ogre in the Playground

Selekhael jumps frantically out of the way of the chain and swings her blade wildly at the goblin. But AAAAAH! Spiders! She beats her legs with her hands, panicking. "Gettoffgetoffgetoff!" She seems pretty incapacitated by this development. She can't flee, which her old instincts tell her she should, nor can she redouble her attack, which her new ones encourage. So she just slaps at her legs repeatedly to crush the arachnids swarming over her.

My Nexus characters

29. - Top - End - #929
    Orc in the Playground

Adrift- Volcanic Coast

The marooned elf fires their pistol at the beast, aiming for the centre of mass. They're missing an eye, and the weapon is old enough it predates rifling, so it's not too accurate- though the range is very short. Once fired, whether hit or miss, the sea-elf drops the pistol into the boat and tugs the cutlass out of the wood, holding the box tight to their chest and glaring around to make sure nothing else is nearby.

If there's no immediate response, they'll retrieve the pistol and put it back in their pocket. The force of firing the snap-match lock extinguished it, so there's no need to put it out and it's less of a fire risk.

30. - Top - End - #930
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Eagle View Post
    [Workout Beach]

"Get ready, Beth!" Karasu yells as the tide retreats from the beach, no doubt in order to try and ram into any unlucky fellows in the shore with all its might. Karasu and Beth, for instance. She stretches out her hand to try and reclaim the spear, but only manages to liquefy part of it for absorption. "K***."

Karasu looks ready to bat the approaching ball, but Beth takes care of that, which leaves the oncoming wave. "Let's use the boat!" She suggests, digging her heels into the sand.
    "Right!" Beth flips the boat around, positioning it to catch the wave. "Jump on!"

The entire beach is briefly submerged in the surf attack. Some distance away, a sudden rush of water splashes onto a country road next to a no parking sign.

When the wave retreats, the ball hops up and down and shakes sand out of its bleary eyes, scanning the area for prone humans. Beth and Karasu are in the last direction it looks; they rode the boat out with the wave and got directly behind the enemy while it was disoriented.

Now, Beth is rowing at top speed, aiming to ram the monster just as the boat hits the shoreline. If Karasu adds her power to the effort, they will probably ram it through and be done with it, but maybe she has a flashier finisher in mind.
    Nexusites, Dorothy.