Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 32 of 45 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Seaside 5: Kinda like One Piece without the anime

[Inside the Octahedron]

Leah frowns with some semblance of pity. But she surely can't hunt down the countless people inside and evict them. Nor is she familiar enough with engineering to even try her paw at lighting this place up which could take even longer. Not to mention whether such a thing would even be a good idea or not... "Take care of yourself." Leah offers in farewell.

It takes some effort to realize and pull out the syringe. What a strange feeling. Leah blinks a few times, looking from Magdalene to the syringe to her outfit. She was back. That's good. Unless this was another dream about reality... Nah. That kind of thing didn't happen.

"Y-yeah," Leah agrees with Magdalene and puts the syringe away. Undoing her restraints, she gets out of the chair. "See? No side effects. It was fine. Do you intend to go after the sword or the lantern?" She asks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

2. - Top - End - #932
    Orc in the Playground

[Adrift - coast of a volcanic island]

The elf hits the beast squarely in the chest, just before its feet leave the ground. It stumbles and falls into the water, creating minor waves that rock the elf's boat as it flails around, trying to get back on the rocks.

It clearly doesn't know how to swim, so even without a hole through its left lung, it might be out of luck. It doesn't take long before it runs out of steam and the elf can see its limp body floating just under the surface, its blood turning the water red.

There is no-one else in immediate vicinity. However, it's nearly guaranteed that everyone and everything with ears on this island hears the gunshot. The elf might want to consider getting on land and getting on the move.

---

[Inside the Octahedron]

When Leah pulls the syringe out of her head, the two big screens go dark for a moment before resuming showing what she sees. The flow of glyphs from the entrance tunnel slows down, then ceases, as do the waves of energy pulsing through the walls of the brain room. Leah gets to see the last burst go around the room before it dissipates.

Some glyphs remain on the black tunnel walls. They are more abstract now - but they're abstract in a more familiar way, resembling signs found in everyday buildings. There's a stick figure Leah running towards a jagged line, followed by an arrow pointing up in 45 degree angle - "stairs up this way".

The floating black slate comes to life too. If Magdalene or Leah look, it now displays a map projection of the interior of the Octahedron. They can even rotate the map in three dimensions, or zoom in and out, by touching it. There's a blinking dot showing where they are now. Rooms they have been in are shown almost solidly blue. Looking at the map, it's possible to tell that just like the brain room replaced the stairwell, the stairwell has now replaced the chamber Leah and Magdalene entered this room from; it's still shown on the map, but inaccessible.

The stairs go back up to the first entrance chamber, with picture of a stick figure Leah running out of a door drawn next to the entrance tunnel. Next to it, placed "East", is the chamber connected to the ice floe, and to the "West" are the two other chambers Magdalene and Leah entered when they were testing how the Octahedron functions. Tunnels they haven't tried yet are drawn just ending in black, with an arrow telling that the path might continue in that direction.

Next to the stairwell, there are four rooms decipted as mere outlines. One has an open chest and a pile of coins drawn inside it - "treasury". The second has a sword and a shield - "armory". The third shows a book and a pen - "archive". The last is just a long stretch of tunnel, with an oil lamp and arrow pointing to the side and... a circle with a blue dot in the middle, divided into six sectors, with every other sector colored solid blue and the rest dark.

If Leah or Magdalene touch these room outlines, they'll find they can rotate them and drag them across the map. Apparently, the map claims they themselves can decide where these rooms connect to the explored parts of the structure. Isn't that convenient?

3. - Top - End - #933
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Selekhael's First Quest]

One of our heroes slaps at spiders!

This works decently but there are a WHOLE bunch of them. Swarmy attacks are always the worst. The frantic sword swing doesn't seem to help that much, this goblin is awfully nimble. Also she's pointing and laughing at Selekhael. How rude!

Arukhael, meanwhile, decides that pulling out guns from the ARMORY OF HEAVEN might be too obvious and darts in for a sword attack! The goblin is still keeping her distance but this time around he's ready for that tactic!

His charge was a feint!

As the chain lashes out at him he cleaves off the last few feet with his sword, sending the end of the chain tumbling through the air only to flop uselessly against the ground.

The goblin seems pretty upset about this, hissing at Arukhael. "You idiots aren't worth my time. Let's bail, lads!" she shouts to the other goblins.

Looks like they're backing off!

...with most of the town's iron supply.

Well, at least the food and boats weren't destroyed?

[Inside the Octahedron]

"Nah I don't think so," Magdalene replies with a shrug. "Not keen on getting lost in this place. And I don't really do swords. Might be able to strip the enchantment buuuut... I dunno. All the stuff in here is weird."

Really weird. Maybe even the weirdest.

"I guess I can check out this armory? See if there's anything I can use. Gotta have raw materials, at least."

Then the activity on the map catches her attention.

The dot must be them, right? And there's the way they came in. Magdalene touches the screen and is a bit surprised when things move around. Even more surprised when it seems like she can just scoot rooms around? Granted it DID seem like this place was rearranging itself. Apparently they can rearrange it too?

Magdalene tries shifting the armory so that it's adjacent to the control room. Maybe this expedition will be worth her while after all?
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

4. - Top - End - #934
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Selekhael's First Quest

It's probably better to eat than to have plenty of metal to work with. That's Selekhael's story and she's sticking to it. She pulses some entropy to rot the spiders off of her and tries to regain her composure."Phew. That was, uh, bracing." It leaves her with questions. Where did she learn to fight like that? Why was the chain turning things into spiders?
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

5. - Top - End - #935
    Orc in the Playground

Coast of a Volcanic Island- Adrift

If that thing has friends, or a pack, then this island is no longer a safe place to be. But the elf has no way of getting away- no oar, no mast, no sail, not even a rudder. Just a boat, a gun, a cutlass, a box and a single shot for the gun. So, clutching the box against their chest, the sea-elf decides to get as far from the boat as possible. They'll jump ashore, using the dead beast's corpse as a stepping-stone if necessary, and hiking to the pyramid on the peak of the island. They're muttering again, under their breath, though as they aren't the most practiced at walking on shore, it's probably not as loud as the stones that shift and crunch underfoot, let alone the ones that skitter away.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

I don't use the Registry; ask for a description if you don't know what my character looks like.

6. - Top - End - #936

Yeah!

Take that, spiders!

They're easily dispatched by Selekhael's hackery.

"Yeah, you get use to it," Arukhael replies with a nod. "And... you get use to not being able to save everything."

The blacksmith's shop is given a forlorn look.

"That will probably mean more weapons, armor, and goblins if we decide to try hitting the Briar Patch. But... at least that's stuff we can probably recover for the village. If they had-"

"aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAH-*SPLAT!*

Oh hey.

That goblin Arukhael had launched into the sky finally came back down.

"-destroyed the food stores or the boats that would have been a much bigger problem for the village. I think we probably made the right call."

7. - Top - End - #937
    Ogre in the Playground

"I, uh, know I'd rather have food to eat than, uh, metal to work with." Selekhael stows her blade and turns to the wrecked blacksmith shop. "I, uh, think I might be able to help fix this though." She focuses her powers. Reverse entropy. Turn back time. Make chaos into order. She can do all that right? She can probably restore the structure at least, if not the stolen goods.

My Nexus characters

8. - Top - End - #938

This one, sadly, is a little bit of a stretch. Selekhael will be able to feel her connection to the Sphere's straining. Such a thing might be possible, but not in Selekhael's current state. Not at her level of mastery.

Arukhael watches, curiously. He has an idea of what she's up to.

"It would be easier if you could invoke Matter or Shape. Or even Quality. I'm Restoration in the same way you're Forgiveness. I could probably pull us both back to stop the goblins from hitting the smithy, too, but that would produce a bunch of paradox. Though..."

He gets a thoughtful look.

"You know, I think if we worked together I think we could pull it off. I use Restoration to send us back and right a wrong. Then you use Forgiveness to clear the paradox we generate. The time-debt will still have to go somewhere. The price still has to be paid. But I bet you could dump it onto one of the goblins."

Hey there's an idea!

"Though keep in mind, if we use our Paths here and now then we probably won't have them available when we're in the Briar Patch dealing with the rest of the goblins. It takes quite a bit of rest and recuperation to recover a spent Path ability."
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2020-10-21 at 01:17 AM.

9. - Top - End - #939
    Ogre in the Playground

"I, uh, think we should do it. For these people's sake." Selekhael looks to Arukael for confirmation. Is it a good idea? They beat the goblin leader once without whatever paths are. They could probably do it again. Right?

My Nexus characters

10. - Top - End - #940
    Ogre in the Playground

[Inside the Octahedron]

Leah rubs her head for a moment before looking at all the new information. "It really is a very... Umm... Helpful entity, isn't it?" Entities. Whatever. They're still just as weird as Magdalene claims.

"Alright. Armory it is." She'll accompany Magdalene long enough to check it out. Wouldn't want to leave anyone alone in here. As Magdalene moves the room on the map, Leah heads to this room's exit to look out and see if things have shifted as the map displays.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

11. - Top - End - #941
    Orc in the Playground

[Pyramid on a volcanic island]

As the elf hikes up the hill, they soon find that the pyramid is not on the peak of the island, even if its top barely rises above the rest of the terrain. The ground slopes back down towards it from the top of the hill, becoming almost level towards the base.

The pyramid rises to height of twelve meters from the ground, but it looks like it could extend much deeper into the basalt. It seems to be slightly slanted away from the elf, though curiously, no trickle of lava nor water flow towards it from this direction.

If the elf takes a moment to survey the island from the hill, far to their right, the elf might catch a glimpse of more evidence that they're not alone on this still-forming landmass. There's a motorboat anchored near the island, waiting for its passenger to get back. On the side of the pyramid facing that boat, is a deep black spot, or perhaps a hole.

If the elf descends towards the pyramid, they will quickly find out why nothing flows downhill towards it. There's a disturbance in their inner ear as the slanted pyramid seems to turn perfectly upright, with everything else becoming slanted relative to it! What was downhill is now closer to level ground and what was level is now uphill towards the base.

---

[Inside the Octahedron]

Magdalene's attempt works. As she slides the armory next to the brain room on the map, it pushes the stairwell out of the way and clicks into place, becoming solid blue. Simultaneously the actual passage out of the room transforms. Where there moment ago was a sign pointing to the stairs, there is now a sign for the armory. The armory opens before Leah and Magdalene as a long hallway, three meters wide and tall, with alcove after alcove on both sides of it. The map now informs them that this hallway will eventually end in a large, cubical room, but is vague on how long the hallway actually is. Just looking down the actual passageway, it seems clear something's not drawn to scale.

The first alcove to the right has a black mannequin, seemingly constructed from the same stuff as the interior walls, against white limestone (apparently) background. It's dressed in a beige uniform, a white cap and black leather boots. Against its shoulder rests a flintlock musket and a cavalry sabre hangs from its belt.

Opposite to it, in the left alcove, is another mannequin dressed in a blue tunic and a white sleeveless cloak, with a black cloth wrapped around the head and face. Tugged in its sash are two flintlock pistols and a scimitar. Slung around its shoulder is another musket.

Variations of such attire and equipment repeat for the next two hundred alcoves or so. Flintlock muskets and pistols, bayonets, sabres, scimitars and large knives, occasional crossbows and a very occasional revolver, sometimes barrels of gunpowder, axes, pickaxes, shovels, crates of ammunition... there is, indeed, a lot of "scrap iron" here.

But not all of this stuff is intact. Some of the weapons are broken, some of the uniforms stained with blood, cut to shreds or riddled with holes. A lot of this stuff wasn't brought into this place in pristine condition and places neatly where it is now. Someone - a lot of someones - fought and died wielding these weapons and wearing these clothes. Some of the mannequins are clearly positioned to replicate their often gruesome final moments.

The longer they walk, the less this place seems like an armory, and more like a museum for a failed incursion into the Octahedron. Possibly several failed incursions.

After the first two hundred alcoves, the equipments of the mannequins changes. There are now a lot of large shields in bright colours, primarily made of wood and leather. They are accompanied by spears of various lengths, some clearly meant for throwing. There's also lot of composite bows, arrows and slings. The mannequins are mostly clothed in just loose pants or loincloths, some being entirely unclothed.

This continues for next three or four hundred alcoves and if Leah and Magdalene are still going, there's still no sign of the large room this hallway is supposed to lead to.

12. - Top - End - #942

Arukhael nods, a smile tugging at the corner of his lips. "For their sake. We're not just here for a quest or filling up reliquaries. We're here to help these people. Hold onto that compassion and never let go of it."

Then he'll reach out to take Selekhael's hand and-

~Discontinuity~

To any outside observer it will look as if Selekhael and Arukhael briefly flickered. Such an observer wouldn't notice that the smithy is now intact and none of the town's iron supply had been stolen.

Because of COURSE they wouldn't notice such a thing.

Nothing of the sort had happened!

"By the King, they did it. You did it!" shouts one of the villagers, overjoyed. "They drove the goblins away!"
    "They saved our food."
    "And our homes."
    "Maybe our lives!"
    "Thank you, heroes! The King bless you"

And there was much rejoicing!

Selekhael will feel that sensation of filling again. And the weirdest feeling that she had just reached the end of the beginning. This quest has just started, after all. They still have the goblins in the Briar Patch itself to deal with.

"Good job," Arukhael says.

[Inside the Octohedron]

"Definitely seemed like just some guy," Magdalene remarks as she experimentally tries to take the map-slate with them. She isn't sure if it'll work but being able to rearrange the octohedron regardless of where they are in it might be helpful. But hey, if not? They can always just come back to the control room right? It's right behind them.

Map in hand or not, Magdalene heads into the armory. She'll stop to examine the first mannequin, fingering at their equipment. "Just mundane stuff. That's a shame. Ah well, iron is iron I guess."

She'll mostly be collecting swords and sabres, tucking them away into her backpack. It really begs the question of how much stuff she can fit in there.

After a few minutes a thought seems to occur to her.

"I'm thinking these are all people who died in here... he you wanna bail or see what that big cube room is supposed to be?" she asks Leah. Magdalene is hoping there might be something more substantial once they get out of this display hallway slash monument to the lost.
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2020-10-22 at 12:20 AM.

13. - Top - End - #943
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gunsforhands View Post
    "Right!" Beth flips the boat around, positioning it to catch the wave. "Jump on!"

The entire beach is briefly submerged in the surf attack. Some distance away, a sudden rush of water splashes onto a country road next to a no parking sign.

When the wave retreats, the ball hops up and down and shakes sand out of its bleary eyes, scanning the area for prone humans. Beth and Karasu are in the last direction it looks; they rode the boat out with the wave and got directly behind the enemy while it was disoriented.

Now, Beth is rowing at top speed, aiming to ram the monster just as the boat hits the shoreline. If Karasu adds her power to the effort, they will probably ram it through and be done with it, but maybe she has a flashier finisher in mind.
    [Workout Beach]

Karasu does as bid, using the boat for cover until the wave retreats. She's quite glad to find they're now at an advantageous position to launch their counterattack before the monster can see them. As Beth begins to row, Karasu can sense what she's going for and adds her rowing power to the effort, gritting her teeth as she paddles for all she's worth.

"Take this!" She whispers as they ram the monster through, probably finishing it off.

Gee, despite the unwanted situation, this is fun! Or so she thinks at the back of her mind. Beth can hold her own, maybe getting to know more of her won't be so bad. She does respect strength and hard work, after all.
    Purple Eagle's character list
    Love is the message.

14. - Top - End - #944
    Orc in the Playground

Volcanic Isle- Pyramid Approach

The elf doesn't, just clutching the box and muttering under their breath as they approach. They stumble at the altered orientation, but don't otherwise react to the oddity. They'll circle the pyramid, possibly a few times, until they spot the boat and head towards it. The elf glances at it, but the technology of the motor is totally unfamiliar to them. They go to sit next to it, awaiting whatever strange sailors might pilot such a craft, when they spot the hole and go there instead, ducking into the hole if necessary, muttering and mumbling all the while.

I don't use the Registry; ask for a description if you don't know what my character looks like.

15. - Top - End - #945
    Ogre in the Playground

Selekhael just looks tired. Wow, they did a lot in just a short time. And she feels even fuller. "We, uh, still need to stop the rest of them. So they don't, uh, come back. And, uh, we should probably get some rest."

My Nexus characters

16. - Top - End - #946
    Ogre in the Playground

[Inside the Octahedron]

"Not a guy. Hmm... It needs a name. I'm going to call it Guide Goo from now on." Name entered!

Leah peers at Magdalene. Is she sure she hadn't heard the parable of the Portable Hole and Bag of Holding? That seems like the kind of thing you hear about when you're actively using one of them. "Really? Are you that hard pressed for metals where you come from?" To the point where she has to scavenge rusty blades from unknown eras?

The further and further they walk, the more Leah finds herself needing to avert her eyes. Boy it got hot in here real quick. Fortunately the floor is a nice place to stare at. "I don't care. Whatever gets us out of this hallway more quickly. This place is creepy." It's made no less creepy by Magdalene's theory that these aren't just mannequins, but a memorial to the dead. A theory Leah doesn't feel like she can refute.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

17. - Top - End - #947
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    Bombmercials

Such earpieces do indeed exist! They weren't commonplace where Blanche grew up, but thankfully the Nexus is quite used to a population of catgirls. Why, several enterprising headwear and electronics companies have actually managed to make a tidy profit catering to the local kemonomimi market. Not that this doesn't make the choice to direct through one feel anywhere less odd to the catgirl.

"Oh. Er, okay, yeah I can do that if you want. Nothing with 'nya' though, that's kinda where I'd prefer to draw the line." Blanche isn't strictly against playing a stereotype for this or anything, but the Anime Catgirl kind always rubbed her the wrong way something fierce. It always felt just so... infantilized.
    Bombmercials

"Oh, no, no, no. This is aimed towards a more general audience. Most viewers wouldn't even know of the 'stereotype' you're referring to. It'd just sound weird. Cat-puns are way more relatable since most people know what a cat is, right?"

"And the boss is hardly what you'd call 'people'." Miss Gilbling can be heard remarking somewhere nearby.

"Yeah! That dude came off like total creep when talked like that!"

"...erm, anyway! I was thinking somewhere along the lines of saying 'faster than a cheetah' while you strike a pose and turn towards the camera. The prop will be moving while you say the line so keep that in mind."

By now some of the crew have gotten into their own swimming gear, which are just full wetsuits, and have started to set up the rest of the equipment.

"All you need to do is keep up a suggestive pose and look at the camera to deliver your line. Think you can do that?"

18. - Top - End - #948

"Yeah, we can't stop here and just they don't raid again. Let's get some rest."

And so they do.

It's strange.

Selekhael lays down, closes her eyes, and then when she opens them again it's morning. No dreams. No waking up in the middle of the night. It's as if she had just skipped forward in time. The only other difference is that she doesn't feel exhausted anymore. Oh. And Arukhael isn't in the house anymore.

She'll find him outside talking with a small group of villagers. He waves her over as soon as he spots her.

"Hey! It sounds like the goblins have an outpost that isn't in the Briar Patch,"
    he says. "It's off in the woods near the spot where the villagers had been leaving offerings. We'll probably want to hit that first since it's closer, then go after the Briars next."

"Thank you so much for helping us," says the blacksmith. "We have some gifts for you both. As thanks for saving our village last night."

Then?

He offers a small satchel to our heroes. It contains provisions, roasted chestnuts and dried fish. Then he holds out a pair of steel rings. They're artfully, lovingly crafted. "I don't know how you did it, but you repelled all the goblins last night. The King is truly with you. You both are an answer to our prayers."

19. - Top - End - #949
    Ogre in the Playground

Honestly, sleeping like that is a relief. Before, Selekhael was often beset by nightmares.

"Thank you very much." Selekhael takes the food and the ring graciously. "You didn't have to." She doesn't need this, she has a home and food and things of her own. And she's not a hero. She isn't looking for glory or rewards or anything.

My Nexus characters

20. - Top - End - #950
    Orc in the Playground

As the elf approaches the hole in the pyramid, they can notice there are faint blue glyphs around the hole. When they reach the base of the pyramid, they experience an even stronger shift in gravity: the side of the pyramid is now level ground, the hole is a deep dark pit, and the rest of the world slopes up behind them like a colossal mountain.

The glyphs decipts an ascending line of cat girls disrobing and carrying some kind of amulets towards the pyramid, then a descending line of cat girls sans the amulets putting their clothes back on. But the sea-elf doesn't get to look at them for long before the glyphs change: they soon decipt the elf themselves carrying their box into the pyramid, then leaving without it.

If the elf jumps into the pit, gravity changes again, and the pit becomes a tube-like tunnel. The surfaces inside the pyramid are perfectly unreflective black, so what little natural light makes it inside fails to illuminate it even a bit. If there weren't glowing blue glyphs, even with a light source sight would be nearly useless as a sense in the utter darkness ahead.

---

[Inside the Octahedron]

Moving the hovering slate feels a bit like pushing a boat floating on water. It takes some effort to get it in the armory hallway, but once Magdalane does so, it begins following her movements on its own, staying at roughly one meter distant and positioning itself so that it keeps out of Magdalene's akd Leah's way when neither are intentionally looking at, or for, it.

While they discuss where to go next, it suddenly emits a sharp chime. If they look at the map display, a second entry chamber that exits to the volcanic island has appeared on it, along with a second blinking dot that seems to be on the verge of entering it.

It looks like the slate is alerting them to a new person from the outside coming into contact with the Octahedron.

21. - Top - End - #951
    Orc in the Playground

Pyramid on a Volcanic Island

The elf sees the carvings, appreciating the catgirl for a moment before it changes. They recognise themselves, fully clad, going in and coming out without the box. Their eye widens and they back off, going far enough from the entrance gravity shifts again, then sits on the ground and mutters louder. "The box. My box. Nobody else's. Except theirs. Yes, it's their box too. But it's mine, I'm in it. They are too. I'm in the box, that witch. Curses and doom upon that mutinous mage. I'll take her eye and feed it to the rats. Yes. The rats. They're in the box. No. No rats in the box. My mate. And I. I'm in the box. I'm here. My mate isn't. He's not here. Witch won't let him go. Yes, their box. My box. Their box. The rats, I'll feed her eyes to the rats. Don't trust witches. Never trust witches. Always blow harder than you. Always. My box. My mate's box. He's in it. I'm in it. My box."

It... kinda continues like that.

22. - Top - End - #952

Boy this whole apotheosis thing has been almost one hundred percent positive for her, hasn't it?

First all her fiendishness is purged and now she finds out that she doesn't have nightmares anymore, just peaceful dreamless sleep? She probably can't wait to tell her boyfriend about how wonderful it is. But first there's a village to save!

"We didn't have to, but we wanted to thank you both," the blacksmith says.

Our heroes will have the chance to bid the village farewell before heading off!

Once they pass the treeline Arukhael will speak up, "Always accept quest rewards from the people you help if they offer them," he advises. "Because to them it might just be mundane stuff. A little bit of food and simple jewelry. But the very fact that we got it from a quest makes it special to us. Try one of the rings on. See what happens."

Should Selekhael do so she's quite abruptly become aware of several very important things.

The Smith's Heart
    The ironsmith Jacob poured his heart and soul into this trinket; a resolute bulwark against the fae. While wearing it you resist 50% GOSSAMER damage and all GOSSAMER effects have their duration reduced by 50%.
    (Rewarded for completing Phase 1 of 'Goblin Griefers' without allowing any village objectives to be destroyed)
    Huh...

[Inside the Octohedron]

Oh cool they can move the map around.

That'll make this nonsense WAY easier. They can just move stuff around to get themselves back to the entrance.

"No steel mills anymore. The world got wrecked," Magdalene says. "So whatever weapons we can get for normies is great. We do whatever it takes to survive."

Sounds like her home world went through quite a bad timeline of its own.

She'll walk right past the figures with simpler weapons. At least until.

"Hey, look. Map's flashing," she says, pointing out the dot. "Looks like someone else came in? Do you think we should go let 'em know it's dangerous in here?"

Then why are you wandering around down here, Magdalene?

23. - Top - End - #953
    Ogre in the Playground

Selekhael's First Quest

"I, uh, don't know what any of that means, but, uh, it looks good?" What the heck is gossamer? But always keep quest rewards. Got it. Reducing damage sounds good. Making effects last less time is a bit more confusing. If gossamer is a bad thing, then that's probably good to have?

My Nexus characters

24. - Top - End - #954
    Ogre in the Playground

[Inside the Octahedron]

"If the world is that bad off where you live, why not leave? Move here. Not here, here, but the Nexus in general?" Emigration seems like the best course of action from a disaster world.

Leah's ears perk up at the chime and her attention snaps to the map. "Yeah, we should probably meet them and warn them out of here, less they keep the Guide Goo awake. Heck, they might be one of the people from the village."

Leah reaches to try and shift the map so that they're on an intercept course with any potential newcomer.
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2020-10-22 at 11:57 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

25. - Top - End - #955
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    Operation Sea Slug

Seeing the skeletal dragon reel might be one of the most gratifying sights of his life. Though...maybe his blood was burning a little too hot for the situation. Whoops. But they're alive, aren't they?
    Will's weapon reappears in his hand with a flash of light. Huh. Well, now that he has a second the front is kind of wedge-shaped. Surely that's not supposed to be an edge.
    "Hello again, Ma'am. We'd be very grateful for some help." What's with the sudden old lady routine? Is Lan trying to trick the demon thing into thinking she's a senile old lady instead of a spooky skeleton too? She might have been old before, but she had definitely seemed more all-there than someone who forgets about someone in fifteen minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    Operation Sea Slug

"Ah, yes." Lannereth chuckles. "Now I remember you." She spins her staff around with one hand. "Tit and Tat, or Will if you prefer-"

But she's interrupted as the dragon suddenly breathes out a black smoke towards the lich, immediately causing all the vegetation in the area to witter and die as it spreads outwards.
    But it doesn't wait for the smoke to clear instead it speaks words that neither of them will understand and a swarm of arcane projectiles start to swarm the area towards the location where Lannereth was standing.

It then starts casting another spell which seem to have a longer cast time as it just stands there channeling it for now. It clearly doesn't think that Lannereth have been destroyed yet.

Operation Sea Slug

Well, that wasn't good. Titania gets up from her knees and sets Leopold and Will gently onto the ground before ushering them towards a direction perpendicular to Lannereth. There wasn't going to be any lessons from the Prometheus School Of Running Away From Things today! "Go! Hurry! I'm going to try and at least disrupt the chanting but try to keep the pair of them in sight as you back off and find cover. Preferably something solid like a rock, deal?" She asks before turning towards a nearby tall tree. Despite her words, covering fire on their part and ample distraction would make things much easier for her. Maybe Will's newfound bravery would keep being in good use. It'd take her a few moments, so it was possible that the dragon can finish its casting before Titania can finish her work. Once she gets close to a tree that's tall enough, she literally takes a bite out of the truck with her mandibles, relying upon their great strength and cutting edge to carve a wedge in the front facing the dragon.

Despite the tradition of lumberjacks giving warnings, she doesn't yell Timber! after digging her claws and mandibles in to the backside and shoving with her shoulder to nudge the trunk just enough to make the tree fall. With a bit of luck on her part and ignorance on the dragon's, the large tree should hopefully fall right on its back.

26. - Top - End - #956
    Orc in the Playground

As the sea-elf suffers from their lapse of sanity, a skittering sound echoes from inside the pyramid. Then, as if on command...

There's a rat.

A big, white, eyeless rat sticking its nose out from the tunnel, its nose wriggling as it smells the outside air in confusion. It takes its first, awkward steps down the pyramid's side, apparently being less affected by the changing gravity due to its stature. As it gets closer to the elf, it becomes agitated and starts emitting high-pitched squeks.

Soon after, there's a second rat. Then, a third. Then, a whole lot of rats, scurrying down the side of the pyramid.

---

[Inside the Octahedron]

It's odd. The second blinking light stays just outside the new entry chamber, refusing to move into the pyramid proper. The new entry chamber remains just an outline. Apparently, whoever the new arrival is, they got cold feet. None the less, Leah manages to swipe the new entry chamber across the map... when the armory sort of snatches it and locks it in place.

As a result, Leah and Magdalene can see the hallway still ahead of them grow shorter. Alcove after alcove turns around and disappears into the walls. The opening into the cube-shaped room, the one that seemed to still be nowhere in sight, speeds towards them untill they're just a few meters away from its treshold. The map now claims that the new chamber is connected to the armory and to get to it... Leah and Magdalene just have to cross the cube-shaped room. They can even see the window to the outside world straight ahead, as small circle of light, maybe fifty meters distant!

The only thing keeping them from making a run for it, is that the floor of the room is filled with litter.

Rocks, bones, rocks attached to bones to form clubs, axes, knives, spears... war drums made of leather... helmets made of skulls... bows made of horns with strings of sinew... covering every bit of the floor, with the bottom-most rocks and bones having been ground to gravel and dust a long time ago. The room is, at the same time, a mass grave and testament to all the various ways you can turn your slain enemies into armaments for killing more enemies.

Standing in the corners, there are four or five large statues. They're roughly human in shape, each leaning on a sword as tall as a grown pine tree. Each is decipted wearing some kind of a robe, or very loose tunic accompanied by very loose pants. The swords seem to be actual steel, and the clothes, actual fabric. They all wear skull-like, bone white masks - going clockwise, the first resembles a wolf, the second a ram, the third a serpent, the fourth an eagle and the last a human. Red light gleams inside eyesockets of their masks, all of them seemingly staring at one spot in the room. At their feet and lining the sides of the room, as if forming sort of honour guards, are dozens of whole skeletons, somehow standing on their own with no flesh nor muscle to keep them up, clad in various bony armaments. Even at a glance, it's clear not all of these skeletons were assembled from single sources - some seem to mix and match remains of different creatures to create forms that look bigger, stronger and more horrifying. Not all are humanoid or even mammalian - some are clearly serpentine, other arrangments look like squids with spines for tentacles.

Close to center of the room, there is an altar or a small pagoda assembled from thigh bones. On the top, there is a single, sharp piece of flint with a bloody handprint on it. It radiates bloodlust and historical signifigance that can be felt before it is even seen. It is what all the statues seemingly look at. It would be impossible to know, but easy to imagine, that this very stone was picked up by the first ape when they decided they didn't like the second ape's face.

There are also rats. Or at least Leah can hear rats, squeaking, gnawing bones and... scurrying towards the exit in great numbers.

27. - Top - End - #957
    Ogre in the Playground

Operation Sea Slug

Will is not entirely sure what the plan is, but “get cover” is simple enough. He wishes he knew barrier spells right about now. He’s just going to have to assume the ancient magical skeleton does enough to protect herself. Will grabs Leo’s hand and ushers him toward a large tree that hasn’t withered to brittleness from the dragon breath.
    ”All right, bag of bones. You like beam-spam? I can do that, too.” Will lifts his arm as he brings his hand to the trigger, only to find his weapon folding down and clamping over his metal hand. Light leaks from his arm. It’s oddly soothing. Will squeezes the hidden trigger, sending a barrage of plasma shots at the monster. The normally arcing green plasma is instead glowing white-hot with magic.
    His aim isn’t any better, though. He’d have barely any hope of hitting anything if his target wasn’t the size of a building.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

28. - Top - End - #958

Arukhael likewise slips one of the rings on and explains, "It makes it so the magic those goblins were using won't hurt you as much. And if you get a bunch of fake spiders thrown on you they'll vanish faster."

No one likes being covered in fake spiders.

Or real spiders.

Okay, well, maybe someone does. Just not anyone here.

Trekking through the forest is pleasant enough. Fallen leaves grow more numerous and massive chestnut trees grow wider with every step. The air is the cool, crisp of autumn. Chestnut burrs litter the forest floor, growing more numerous with distance from the edge of the forest. There are signs of animals getting into them. Most of the walk traces a path along side a small stream just wide and deep enough that hopping over it would be impossible. Not much of an issue for our heroes, but certainly an impasse for a normal human.

Eventually they come to a rocky portion of the stream where one might easy pass over. And on a particularly large boulder sits a woman.

A woman with flowing water for hair and a dress made of foam.

"Oh! Hello travelers!" says the naiad. "Were you planning on crossing my stream?"

A faerie.

Though perhaps not a hostile one.

[Inside the Octohedron]

Looks like Leah made the call!

And there's the cube shaped room. Wow is it ever something. Bones! And creepy skeleton amalgamations! Magdalene smiles and points at one of the cobbled together horrors as she steps into the room without a second thought.

"Hey! Those remind me of these giant friggin' bone monster things from these ruins back home! Man, that really brings back memories. Those skeletons loved crossbows. I got shot so much that afternoon."

She is a really weird person.

"Well, I mean, I already came here," Magdalene explains as she strolls through the bone room and briefly glances at the bloody rock sitting on the alter. Oh yeah that is totally a magical object of some kind. But bloody rock really isn't her style. And she's pretty sure grabbing it will wake up those statues. She wouldn't mind taking those huge jerks apart later, but for now they need to tell this new person to shove off before they get eaten by rats or whatever. "But coming here meant getting lost and slogging through Silvanus for like a month and a half looking for a riftgate I could use. I figured out how to retrace my steps to get back home but the things that live in the Hungry Forest aren't very nice. If I tried leading normies through there they would one hundred percent get eaten or turn into monsters."

Bones are kicked aside casually as Magdalene strolls straight toward the exit as if there was absolutely nothing weird about this situation.

29. - Top - End - #959
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yes, we are." Hopefully this watery stranger who something feels off about will just let them pass, maybe even help them. If she turns hostile, Selekhael will have to kill her, and she's way more human seeming than the goblins. Selekhael doesn't make any hostile movements. No weapon drawn, no combative stance. She just wants to cross peacefully.

My Nexus characters

30. - Top - End - #960
    Bugbear in the Playground

Bombmercials

"Oh, er, okay. That makes sense." Honestly, you have to wonder what kind of stereotypes might exist throughout the nexus. After all, "nya" is just the specific sound that the Japanese language used to describe the noise a cat makes. Who knows how different the interpretations of "purr" or "meow" might be? "But yes, I can do that. Might take me a minute to get used to the movement of the prop though."
    Avatar by Gulaghar, thanks so much!

"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Magtok
    If it'll keep you from linking that abomination ever again, then fine. You're evil enough. You win.