New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Seaside 5: Kinda like One Piece without the anime

[Beach Party]

Teen Loves

"Neither am I, but I saw this article on 'questions to ask your partner' and so I'm trying one out." Karasu smiles at her response and hugs her. "That's just one reason why I love you. I'd do the same, regarding saving it for the future. I do have some money with the Nexus jobs I do that allow teenagers, like being an assistant medic or using my hunting skills to find lost pets." She kisses Natalie's cheek. "You know what else I'd do? I'd be willing to burn some of that money making you happy by taking you on a fancy date, treating you like the lady you are." Though if that ever happens, Natalie might think it's too much.

Jack & Chidi

"Well, you have a guy here who's interested, there are beverages in the tent, so let's simulate the bar experience." He suggests with a wink at her prior talk of taking an uninterested guy to a bar.

"Oh, Jack. You won't understand unless you're in a location where everyone uses them, and you can't contact people otherwise." So probably not ever. "If you get rid of all three rather than trying to learn to use one, or keeping one for emergencies, how is one to contact you?" Chidi asks, though knowing she likely won't change her mind. There's always someone more willing to discard what they don't understand rather than making an effort.

Anchor, huh? Chidi thinks this person is interesting, even though he'll end up never meeting her. "I see, sounds like fun. Except the shadow-stealing part. Though, in my world, shadows work differently. Darkness is simply the absence of light, not a force on its own... so if I were to lose my shadow, I'll get it back once I get back home. Which probably isn't possible, me losing it in the first place." He muses. Who knows? "Stolen shadows... the Nexus is a curious place."
    Purple Eagle's character list
    Love is the message.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Beach Party - Swimming Supers

"Maybe. But don't make it too easy. I like a good mystery." She really does. It's part of what she enjoys about superheroing. Jade finds some parts of swimming a bit odd. The way the water runs around her chest and through her hair. The difference in drag caused by a very different swimsuit. She keeps going. She can't let feeling weird stop her.
    Skye laughs and then has to cough up a bit of water. You see, she really is not good at swimming at all. She tries to imitate how Jade is moving.
    Look how strong and smooth the sueprhero seems. Maybe humans belong in the water.
    Okay, stay properly above water for a second. "I'll have to come up with a clue for you to find next time."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

3. - Top - End - #213
    Troll in the Playground

Jade laughs too, and has to slow down and start treading water. She wouldn't mind there being a next time. Skye is an interesting person to be around.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

[Beach Party]

"I haven't, Commissioner. The ant- er, city I was born in didn't have any. It didn't have a sun, either, strictly speakin'." Turning to Geneva, he says: "Dazzle means magic, ma'am, where I'm from. We have a peculiar way of speakin'. It confuses folk 'ere, so I try to keep it down. As for hobbies, it's mostly readin' and drinkin'. I'm tryin' to branch out and I reckon I'm open to suggestions. I tried making those fancy models people make, but... I had trouble."
    Last edited by Morty; 2020-06-01 at 01:53 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Orc in the Playground

Marlick Bay

"That is not the relic I seek, elf. There's another cave under this one, but I can't find an entrance to it. It's not in this cave, at least. Possibly elsewhere." It might even be an undersea cave, given how close they are to the sea, in which case it's likely flooded or tidal and there's no easy way to get down there. Which is a great pity.

Beach Party
    Prumathe & Girlfiend

"Cola's a really tricky flavour. It doesn't taste like anything much." And now I've remembered dandelion & burdock. Which is a really great flavour soda, pity I forgot about it earlier or Prumathe would be having some instead of lemonade. Also, curious as to how easy it is to tell Prumathe's text colour from Benedict's.

Teen Loves

"Any date with you is fancy enough for me, Karasu. Even if you took me to the shadiest, smelliest and most unhygienic dive bar around." Sounds like Weird William's. Not recommended. "What other questions are on that list, Karasu?" The hawk moves from Natalie's shoulders to her lap, and she starts to stroke its feathers.

Jack & Chidi

Jack winks back, and heads to the booze tent. "Pretty much everyone has one and I can't contact them anyway, because mine don't work." Then she thinks a moment. "What kind of emergency would I need to call someone for, anyway? I can defend myself, and I think the authorities would notice if a house burnt down. And if they want to contact me, they come find me. I've got some set hang outs. Trog's, and Stonetree Park, and the burger van on the roof of the big green office block." But Jack struggles to think of why somebody would need to contact her. She doesn't have a lot of skills or knowledge that's hard to find, except regarding the rooftop terrain of Inside. And that's common knowledge, just not at street level.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

6. - Top - End - #216
    Troll in the Playground

Beach Party - Prumathe and Girlfiend

Sekhmet checks the label. "It, uh, just says 'natural and artificial flavors.' Why don't they say what's in it?" She takes another sip anyway. She enjoys the fizziness, even if the taste isn't so great. "Do people drink a lot of bubbly drinks?" It's not something that was possible where she came from.

My Nexus characters

7. - Top - End - #217
    Pixie in the Playground

[Beach Party]

Teen Loves

Karasu's moved by Natalie's response and hugs her tight with one arm, planting a kiss on her lips before letting go. The bird should still be on her arm unless it moved offscreen, so she uses her free hand. "That can be our next date." She jokes, then laughs. "I wouldn't do that to you, Talie... but thank you, it means a lot to hear you say that."

She lets the bird rest on Natalie's lap, then thinks of more questions. "Hmm... okay, I got one: would you rather someone be honest and hurt your feelings, or lie to protect them?"

Jack & Chidi

Chidi grins when she winks back, and nods to himself. But then, with the checking him out as he did her, along with other signs, things are looking good!

"When it starts working, you'd be able to. Just try it out?" He walks with her to the booze tent to refill his beer mug. "What if you're not at your usual hangouts for some reason, or they end up at the wrong one? As for stuff happening to you, you could stumble into the lair of some demoniac intent on torturing you for fun, or something." Just some ideas. "Or, I could want to meet you again to have some fun." He winks again.
    Love is the message.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Orc in the Playground

Beach Party
    Sekhmet & Girlfiend

"Probably to keep the exact recipe a secret so it can't be copied by their rivals. Yeah, there's quite a few carbonated drinks available. Various brands of cola, dandelion and burdock, ginger beer- not alcoholic, most of the time, uh, lemonade, cherryade, limeade, orangeade and other fruit ades, sparkling water, and champagne and sparkling wine, too. Can't say if that's the same method, though, I'm not a brewer." There is at least one brand of alcoholic ginger beer in the UK. There's probably more carbonated drinks I'm not thinking of.

Teen Loves

I forgot it moved, oops. It'll probably curl up in Karasu's lap, then.

Natalie laughs as well with the joke, and leans back into Karasu. "Honesty. It might hurt my feelings, but lying... That can be a betrayal. But... There's situations where a lie would be a mercy, not a betrayal, especially if there's a very slim chance of me discovering the truth." Her thoughts on that situation include being informed of the death of someone she loves, her brother or Karasu maybe, with the words 'it was quick/painless/peaceful' and a general feeling of not suffering.

Jack & Chidi

"So I've been attacked and overpowered, and I use my phone to call. If I scream, anyone in earshot will know I'm in trouble and they're closer to intervene than whoever's going to answer my phone. If I'm not at my hangouts, I'm with someone. And if I'm not at one of my hangouts and you want to meet me again, then I've found someone else for that time and you should, too." Jack really doesn't like how useless something so allegedly useful feels to her. "And if I do get attacked, and I can't fight them off, I'll dump everything I carry and fly off, generally as a jackdaw. Muggers don't follow me then, and I can't use my phone... Nor does it help against peregrines. I've been chased a few times, as a jackdaw. That's scary." Mostly, though, jackdaws are smart and reasonably vicious- and Jack mostly flies in Inside, with a large pigeon population to feed the peregrines far better.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

Beach Party - Sekhmet and Boyhuman

"That's a lot." Sekhmet doesn't think anything of the mention of non-alcoholic beverages. Where she's from, there are no laws restricting alcohol, and she's had it before. She looks for a table that they can sit at while they eat.

My Nexus characters

10. - Top - End - #220

Jade laughs too, and has to slow down and start treading water. She wouldn't mind there being a next time. Skye is an interesting person to be around.
    Skye also begins treading water, and not getting any deeper. Okay, that's not as bad. Or as difficult.
    "Do you seek out mysteries, then? Are there any you're working on now? Most of the ones I deal with are very, uh, specific." Technical and scientific puzzles.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Marlick Bay

"That is not the relic I seek, elf. There's another cave under this one, but I can't find an entrance to it. It's not in this cave, at least. Possibly elsewhere." It might even be an undersea cave, given how close they are to the sea, in which case it's likely flooded or tidal and there's no easy way to get down there. Which is a great pity.
    "That's not what you asked it, though."
    Anchor looks to the others as they burst back into the room.
    Specifically, at Sekhmet.
    "There's another chamber, beneath us. Do you know, I mean, feel, the way there?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

11. - Top - End - #221
    Pixie in the Playground

[Beach Party]

Teen Loves

In which case Karasu strokes and pets the curled-up hawk, putting her other arm around Natalie. "That's what I'd say, too. I prefer blunt honesty, and hate lies. It might hurt my feelings, but it's better in the long run to have all the facts... even in those situations where a lie would feel merciful, I think I'd still prefer the truth... it'd probably hurt more if I ended up discovering the full truth after being lied to to help myself feel better." She explains. For instance, if something happened to Natalie, the full truth might hurt a lot now, but not as much as finding out later just how bad it was.

Not that she'd let anything happen to Natalie. No, she'd try her best to prevent that. "Hmm... another one, then it's your turn to ask me questions: which animal do you like best, and which do you dislike most?"

Jack & Chidi

"Assuming anyone's in earshot." He points out. When she talks about being with someone, he smiles widely and nods. "Heh, that won't be a problem for me, believe me. I knew you liked to have fun." He says the last part in confirmation of his growing thoughts. "In that case I guess I can reveal that the first day I was here, after joining MERC, I found an elf girl for a night of consensual fun. Elves don't exist in my world, but I loved reading stories with elves in it." It was every bit as fun as he imagined.

"You have a plan for everything, that's good. I'm just suggesting you incorporate a phone for one of those plans. Even if you never use it, keep it charged for emergencies." Chidi shrugs. "But, you do you. If you decide you don't need it, then do what you wish." He concludes, choosing a mug of chilled ale.
    Love is the message.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Troll in the Playground

Jade grins. "All the time. There's a couple crime sprees I'm working on right now. If I can find any connections, I can find the perpetrators." Many superheroes are part first responder, part detective, and Jade is no exception. Although she's no stranger to technical puzzles, albeit of a very different sort.

My Nexus characters

13. - Top - End - #223
    Orc in the Playground

Beach Party
    Prumathe & Girlfiend

Prumathe is about nineteen. In the UK, he'd be able to have beer. So, working by what's legal for me, he may have had some already. "I usually went for lemonade, when I was a child. Not that cola isn't also nice, it's just that cola is very acidic. Drinking too much will rot your teeth." Probably true for lemonade, as well, given it has similarities in recipe, but cola is the famous tooth-rotter.

Teen Loves

"If I found out tomorrow my brother was dead, I'd prefer to think he'd died quickly until I'd grieved. Knowing that he was dead and it wasn't quick... That would hurt a lot more all at once." And it would still hurt, even though at this point it's been years since she saw her brother. "Favourite animal... Of the ones I can turn into, the robin is my favourite. They're happy looking birds, and flying is a lot of fun. The lizard is my least favourite; it's so slow, and the eyes took some getting used to. In general... My favourite animal is probably the forest drake. And my least favourite is the cat." She has nothing against cats in theory, but they are predators and a lot of her forms are small enough to be prey.

Jack & Chidi

"It's more likely that there's someone in earshot able to help me than anybody I could try ringing on my phone." Somebody should tell Jack that the police force have phones, too. Although given that she can fly and is likely to get in trouble on a rooftop, perhaps the police are less useful than they would otherwise be. "Fine, I'll keep one and try to keep it charged so it works." Although Earl's first pay-as-you-go phone got cancelled because he didn't use it enough and the phone company didn't think it was being used at all (which it wasn't, since it was for emergencies only). Jack goes for a perry, cold but not iced or even necessarily chilled.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Troll in the Playground

Sekhmet almost drops her drink in surprise. "How quickly? Who thought that was a good idea?" The cola suddenly seems a lot more disgusting. Sekhmet doesn't want to lose her teeth.

My Nexus characters

15. - Top - End - #225
    Pixie in the Playground

[Beach Party]

Teen Loves

When Natalie talks about her brother, Karasu sympathetically hugs her and squeezes. "I... I see your point. It must be hell never knowing what's up with your brother." She kisses Natalie's forehead, stroking her hair with one arm and the hawk with the other. "Maybe it's my line of work, but if I heard my aunt Enitan died painfully, I'd prefer to know... that doesn't mean I'd like the other person being too blunt about how much they suffered." After another pause, she adds. "I wish I could help. If you need me to try something, anything... just ask, babe."

Oh yeah, favourite and least favourite animal. She's glad Natalie doesn't like the lizard, because of what she's about to say. "My favourite animal is the raven. But then my Japanese name translates to raven, which might have influenced things. Cool, intelligent birds. Least favourite is the lizard. Really, any small reptile, they make me squeamish, I don't like touching one." She shudders when she thinks of one touching her. "A lizard, gecko or frog is about the only animal that can make me scream."

Natalie's turn to ask questions!

Jack & Chidi

"Even though you can call the police on your phone if necessary? There are a number of hotlines: police, fire depratment, the army... I'm a soldier with friends in the police force, I know what I'm talking about. Or, would you sneak off to find the police when you're in danger?" A good question. "Besides, this is the Nexus. I'm sure there's sea police and air police, too." Chidi smiles when she relents, because he wouldn't want his new friend to end up in a situation where she'd find herself wishing she kept her phone.

Once they've gotten their drinks, Chidi walks with her back to their spot in front of the pool, drinking their drinks and arm around each other. "One more thing about the phone: I suggest you at least try and use it once every 90 days, so it doesn't get cancelled. You can use that once to call me so we can go out and have fun." Speaking of fun, however. "What do you do for fun?"
    Love is the message.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Beach Party - Sun-A-Way Stand]

Marin, having heard about a beach party, decides to go. After all, it took her forever to find a swimsuit that would actually work so it would be a huge waste if she never wore it.

It's a black one-piece turtleneck swimsuit. Swings low in the back, and the turtleneck acts as a tie with a long bow in the back to keep it up, the same way some bikinis work. Except instead of being thin or stringy tied together, it's thick. It, of course, has some minor modifications to it - mainly, a hole sewn in for her tail. It's really hard to put on a swimsuit like this when you have a tail, but for some reason she decided to get this particular model anyway.

The catgirl spent all her money just to pay for the tickets to get in, but supposedly it's worth it because she's been starved for attention recently and being at a party like this lets her be physically around other people without actually getting emotionally close to them.

Since she spent all her money to get in, she had resigned herself to just getting an awful sunburn, but...
    There!
    Someone's giving out free sunscreen!
    This is the best luck ever!

Marin walks up to the sunscreen stand. "H-hey," she says. "You still have some left? I'd like some."
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

Navigating the throng of sweaty, sunscreen-slathered beach-goers at the front of the 'Sun-A-Way' stand proves to be a somewhat difficult task, but eventually, Marin manages to cut through the crowd and reach the front of the poorly manned sample stand. The strangely-dressed man behind the stand appears to be having some trouble meeting demands, with numerous sample cups randomly set about the stand's surface. Once Marin comes into view, the man offers a friendly wave and warm smile, his bright teeth shining in the sunlight. "Uhh, for you, absolutely!"

Dr. Valiance, the man behind the stand, clears his throat awkwardly before reaching for a spare bottle and dexterously tossing it into the air! He could hardly remember the last time he'd seen someone so beautiful. Although, come to think of it, he could hardly remember the last time he'd left his laboratory, so maybe there was a correlation there. Man, it'd be a shame if this stuff, like, turned pseudo-humanoids inside-out or something. Pretty or not, she was at least kind enough to ask nicely for a sample, unlike the others; animals, the lot of them. Was that a poor choice of words?

Despite the many thoughts rushing through his head, Dr. Valiance manages to catch the bottle! An excellent display of showmanship made easier by the fact that the magnets he'd installed into the bottom of every bottle were naturally attracted to the magnets grafted onto the bones of his right hand. "Glad you found me when you did, miss! The sun is very dangerous. Did you know that one in five people will develop skin cancer before they turn seventy? Yup. Pretty scary. Two people die of skin cancer every hour! So. Remember that!" He flashes a finger gun with his spare hand before squirting an ounce of 'Sun-A-Way' into a small sample cup.

The lotion itself is white and viscous, and smells heavenly. "This particular batch is - uhh, 'lime-coconut' flavored. Er, scented. Makes you smell all tropical-like! Incredible! What makes this stuff real special is the fact that it actually gets stronger when exposed to ulraviolet rays." This was true, but the lotion was certainly not sunscreen. He'll pass the sample cup on towards Marin before nodding. "If there's a problem at all, a reaction or whatever, head back this way; I've got mild corticosteroids. All skin is unique, so!"

18. - Top - End - #228

That would be a huge shame if it turned people inside-out. Especially because Marin is one of those kinds of people who likes being right-side-out and enjoys having her insides inside of her.

...to be honest, she doesn't really consider herself beautiful, so if the Doctor told her that, she'd probably reply that he's overvaluing her or something like that.

"Thanks!" she says. "Yeah, skin cancer is serious business. But, does that statistic count towards, like, everyone in the Nexus? Because I'm sure there's probably more than that dying of it per hour." Probably. "I mean, I can't even imagine the skin cancer rates in longer-lived races like elves." When they turn seventy, they're still basically babies. Apparently. Marin hasn't met all that many elves, so she wouldn't know.

"So! Um, thanks," she says, accepting the sample cup. "I don't have any allergies so I should be fine." Lime-coconut smells good. Why isn't most sunscreen scented? "This is a promotional, right? What's the brand so I can get it at the store later?" she asks.

After receiving answers, she smiles and waves to leave the rowdy crowd, to find somewhere that she can put it on. She's pretty lucky that she decided to wear a one-piece instead of a two-piece, because otherwise she might not have enough to cover all the exposed skin.
    Finding a place in the shade, she starts applying the sample sunscreen onto her - starting, of course, with the most important parts, like her face, shoulders, back. But, of course, eventually getting everything.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

Fortunately for the good doctor, his more off-putting thoughts tend to be left unsaid. Once Marin brings up the bit about statistics, Dr. Valiance scratches at his chin, casually adjusting his teashade sunglasses in the process. She brought up a good point! He didn't take her for much of a statistician by her appearance, what a pleasant surprise! Shows him for taking her at face value. "Hm, that's a good point, actually." With a shrug, the man taps his fingers up against the stand. "I didn't come up with the numbers myself." A lie, he made them up right on the spot. "However, I'd assume they used some kind of calculation to determine relative age set against a human baseline."

He nods, squinting thoughtfully. "So, like. If the average elf lives five times as long as a human being, you just multiply the human age by five, and voila! In this case, seventy times five is three-hundred and fifty, sooooo! One in five elves will develop sun cancer by three-hundred and fifty years of age. Er, skin cancer." Dr. Valiance clasps his hands together before exhaling somewhat. "Ah, but it doesn't really matter, does it?" Then, she mentions something about a brand. Oh no. He had completely forgotten to think up a fake brand, or even create a crappy little website for people to search up. That's... such an enormous oversight. Yikes.

With a vacant smile, he comes up with a quick fib. "Oh, um. It's on the bottle, actually. Sun-A-Way. They... they make sunscreen."

"E-enjoy the... sand!"

--

The lotion itself is cool to the touch, its texture pleasant. Beyond its apparent function as sunscreen, it seems to serve as an excellent moisturizer. After about thirty minutes of being exposed to sunlight, however, the lotion will begin to sting and form rashes upon Marin's flesh.

Something was wrong.

20. - Top - End - #230

Well, that basically proves it: this guy Dr Valiance is just a part-time worker who got roped into helping out at this stand. Probably got, like, three minutes overview of the product before being told to give out free samples. Explains why he seems half-knowledgeable and half-uncertain about what he's saying.

Anyway, after putting on the sunscreen, she sits in the sand waiting for it to set so that she can do other things, like get into the water or watch all the...

Thirty-seven minutes later

The places that begin burning first are her shoulders. After all, that's the place that most consistently gets sunlight.

At first, she has no idea what's causing it. Stinging, itching, burning sensation. As more and more of it starts burning - her back, her arms, her knees, her upper neck - she notices a particular trend: it's not happening under her swimsuit. Or in certain body parts that would be naturally shaded. She hasn't done anything that would...oh! That sunscreen! She thought for sure she had no allergies, but...maybe a new one developed?

She looks around for where the stand was in relation to herself.
    There!

Marin pushes herself through the crowds to get back to the stand. "Hey, I thought for sure I didn't have any allergies," she says, "but, um...what was in the sunscreen? I think I've got some allergic reaction to it." As evidenced by the rashes.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

Fortunately for Nicodemus, he had gone out of his way to avoid providing a name as of yet. If anything went poorly, it wouldn't do well to just leave things like that out there for any old whoever to track him down. After all, he was supposed to be going legitimate! Big things down the road. After thirty minutes have passed, all the samples have been given out. Nothing terrible had happened, not yet at least, which meant it was time to leave the scene and wait for phone calls. Hopefully, he wouldn't receive any, given that a phone call would mean that something went terribly wrong. That's what these tests are for, though!

Not very good science, but it's not like he had a ton of resources available to him at the moment. Unfortunately for Dr. Valiance (and Marin, of course), the catgirl experiences a violent and unintended reaction faster than expected. As such, she manages to catch Dr. Valiance right as he finishes boxing up the last of the remaining sunscreen. "Oh, hey there. You're back." At first there's a smile. Then, a deep frown. Damn. That was faster than expected.

With a concerned expression upon his face, Dr. Valiance gestures for Marin to follow, though his arms are full. "Oh dear, would you say you've sensitive skin in general? Uhh, I'm not really qualified to tell you what's going on or whatever, but there's - well, they gave me a special cream if something like this happened, should clear this whole thing right up."

"Why don't you follow me, miss. Damn, I'm so sorry. Does it hurt?"
    Last edited by Hattish Thing; 2020-06-04 at 06:09 AM.

22. - Top - End - #232

The catgirl follows him.

"No, I wouldn't normally consider myself to have sensitive skin," she explains, as she follows. Never had a problem like this before. "At first, it just itched, but it started to make rashes that spread pretty quickly." Giving an accurate explanation of the symptoms might help, right? "Eventually it started hurting." She winces, as evidence that it hurts. "Um...it's worse on my shoulders and upper arms and thighs," she explains.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

After several moments, the pair arrive at a beachside street-corner. Palm trees cast eerie shadows over a rusty white van parked at one side of the road. With a frustrated expression upon his face, Dr. Valiance struggles on towards the back of the van, his arms still burdened with the heavy box of sunscreen. This heat was unbearable, as was manual labor. It was so much easier back at his old job; always a nameless goon around with nothing to do but haul whatever weird thing needed hauling right that moment. What happened to goons? Were they out of fashion? He needed goons.

With a grunt, Dr. Valiance sets the box upon the ground before unlocking the back of the van and pressing a button. The van doors open of their own accord with a soft, pneumatic hiss. The inside of the van is not much more appealing than the outside, complete with outdated furnishings and a strange smell. After a second, Dr. Valiance tosses the box in the back before marching on to the front. "I keep the corticosteroid cream in the front, its heat-sensitive. I guess it's more of a gel than a cream, though. It probably doesn't make a difference." Now he'd be thinking about the differences between a gel and a cream all day. He'd have to search up the definition at some point, it'd just bother him otherwise!

After several seconds spent rummaging through the front and tossing empty fast food containers out onto the roadside, Dr. Valiance pops on out with a small refrigerated container. It looks more like a lunchbox than anything. He'll pass it along to Marin and shrug awkwardly before continuing. "Okay, it's the blue tube in there. Should have the consistency of toothpaste! You're just gonna wanna rub it into the afflicted areas. I suggest you do that, like, as soon as possible. Don't wander too far, either?"

"Stuff is really expensive. Or so I hear."

--

The corticosteroid cream, if applied vigorously, does soothe the pain and prevent further damage. However, this is not corticosteroid cream. The unlabeled tube within the refrigerated lunchbox is, in fact, knock-out gel. Unfortunately, Dr. Valiance grabbed the wrong unlabelled tube prior to heading out to the beachside, meaning that Marin will likely fall unconscious into a state of cosmetic near-death about thirty seconds after applying the gel.
    Last edited by Hattish Thing; 2020-06-04 at 11:21 AM.

24. - Top - End - #234

[Beach Party - Sketchy Van]

Marin follows him to the pretty-much-unmarked van. "I see," she says, trying to ignore the weird smell of the van. He definitely needs a stronger car deodorizer. And probably needs to do a deep clean, too. Also, if that's his littering policy then it's no wonder his van stinks.

"Blue toothpaste stuff," she says. She looks through the refrigerated lunchbox, and finds the unlabeled container."Got it." Since it's so expensive, she'll make sure to use the minimum possible, make it spread out as much as she can. And might as well do it right here, since she doesn't want to be accused of wandering off with it.

So, Marin starts spreading the gel on - starting with the worst-affected places. Shoulders and upper back first. She's almost finished with her arms by the time its effect manifests.

As she passes out, Marin only has a few moments of intense panic trying to figure out what's happening. She then slumps to the ground, and the unlabeled tube falls out of her hand.
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2020-06-04 at 11:32 AM.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

In an attempt to be polite and avoid making Marin uncomfortable, Dr. Valiance turns away and taps absentmindedly at his van. A section of the van's exterior crumbles away as he does so, much to his chagrin. In an attempt to make conversation, he calls out over his shoulder periodically. "But yeah, so sorry this happened to you. You hate to see it." He scratches at his chin once more and sniffs deeply. "You know, you're the only person who had a reaction, which is pretty surprising - I mean, I guess relative to - well, nevermind." Hm, almost gave something away there. Gotta be more careful about what he says.

He does continue though. "I think it might have something to do with your - erm - nature, as it were." Have to take a good, long look as to whether or not dander was some sort of activant. Something was learned today! Something productive came of all this, which is a victory. She's been real quiet, though. Hm. Hopefully she hadn't run off with the gel. "Say, you okay back there? I don't think I got your name." Nicodemus turns back around and steps on towards Marin. "Hey, I'm coming back around, so. Try not to be naked or whatever." He glances back just in time to watch Marin collapse.

Oh, ****. Oh no, oh ****. Not again. Nicodemus pales, his heart rate immediately spiking. "Lady, are - are you okay?!" No response. Oh god, she was dead. Dead as hell. Nicodemus approaches her timidly before attempting (quite poorly) to sense a pulse. After he fails to do so, he stumbles away and leans up against the side of his van. Oh god, oh no! She was actually dead! If someone saw, who knows what could happen. He'd lose any chance at a new job with VIGIL, for sure! And he needed their funding desperately!

And so, with a deep frown, Dr. Valiance lifts Marin up off the cement after some struggle and haphazardly tosses her into the back of the van.

A few minutes later, the van is off.
    Last edited by Hattish Thing; 2020-06-04 at 12:16 PM.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Orc in the Playground

Beach Party
    Prumathe & Girlfiend

"Quite slowly. You'd have to drink quite a lot for it to have a noticeable effect. All foods really have some effect, cola just has more of an effect. And the damage wasn't discovered for fifty years or something after the first colas hit the market. It was a bit too late and the damage wasn't severe enough for measures to be taken." And Prumathe suspects the cola manufacturers had some influence in not banning the substance, too. "If you had a baby tooth and left in cola over night, you'd see the effect. So it's rather more rapid than most, but if you keep good care of your teeth and don't drink too much it should be fine."

Teen Girls

"I know something. I got a letter from him yesterday. He was alive as of three months ago, going by the date." Natalie hasn't told anyone that because it makes her sad, but also gives her hope. It's a complex bundle of emotions and she needs a bit of time to work through it all after reading it. And the date written inside generally means it's too old to actually do anything about what he writes. "He's thinking of making his way here, but... Well, if he manages it, he'll probably arrive before the next letter." He's not managed it in three months, to Natalie's knowledge, but there could be some chronological drift occurring, and until she rules that out or measures it she won't know how accurate the dates are. "So. Question. Um... If you were stranded on an island, what three objects would you take with you?"

Jack & Chidi

"That does make a lot of sense, but... I don't have a flat or apartment, Chidi. I break into forgotten and abandoned spaces in Inside to sleep in. Old attics, bricked off rooms, and that sort of thing. Pretty sure the people who don't live like that would disagree with it." Breaking and entering, trespass and sometimes burglary- though most of the time, the places Jack stays haven't seen anyone else for a long time. "I'll see if I can get battery back in one by the next time we meet, so we can introduce our phones to each other." Jack really doesn't have much clue about how they all work, and assumes her phone has to meet his phone before she can call him. Jack sits down next to him, stretching her legs out as she sips her perry. "Whoever I can find, really. Or I go explore the rooftops of Inside, find any new attics or something that look suitable for me to stay in if I need to."

27. - Top - End - #237
    Troll in the Playground

Sekhmet looks relieved. She still doesn't think she'll drink cola again after this. Not if it risks losing her teeth. As she opens her mouth to take a bite of her food, she runs her tongue over her teeth, just to be sure they're still there. They are, but Prumathe might notice that her tongue is tinted black, and her canine teeth are slightly pointed, more effects of her recent transformation.

My Nexus characters

28. - Top - End - #238
    Pixie in the Playground

[Beach Party]

Teen Loves

Sorry, birdie, girlfriend needs all the hugs. She wraps both arms around Natalie, stroking her back and pulling her head on her own shoulder, ensuring that she feels as comfortable and loved as Karasu can possibly provide. Eventually, she just uses the hand around her shoulder to hold her so that the birds can keep getting more pats.

She says nothing as well, just letting Natalie talk. When she's done, she pecks the top of Natalie's head. "So, we can say it takes months for each of his letters to reach you. I'll assume he looks like you, right? Black hair, green eyes, posh british accent... I'll keep an eye out, too."

Question time! "Hmm, good question... my OmniBeads..." She gestures to the beads on her left wrist. "... which will only work if it's on my wrist, but it's an object so it counts. Second, my ninjato. Useful for hunting and utility purposes. Third, a book to read. Once I'm tired of reading it over and over, it'd make good kindling for a fire. I can make shelter from wood, leaves, animal skins or solid ink. How about you, babe?"

Jack & Chidi

"Ah, that would be a problem... Why not join an org, then? They have lodgings. MERC, for instance, you can take on the recon jobs. If not that, I can hook you up with materials for a portable home... unless you find breaking into Inside locations fun." Chidi shrugs. At her description of exchanging phone numbers, he laughs for a moment, thinking it to be figurative... before he remembers that she has no idea how technology works. "I can just give you my number, you can dial it when you get home." She probably doesn't remember her number, so he offers to give his. Producing a pen and paper, he writes it down and gives it to her.

He laughs once more when she says she does whoever she can find for fun. "As for me, I'd say the same for the first one: go to a bar, have some drinks, find a pretty girl to spend the night with. My other hobbies are dancing, playing the harmonica, video games and working out." He stops laughing and smiles with a glint in his eye. "Wanna be friends-with-benefits, then? Means we're friends, with the added benefit of hooking up whenever we feel like it. We can start tonight, even. Go to Trog's and rent a room."
    Last edited by Purple Eagle; 2020-06-05 at 12:37 PM.
    Love is the message.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Barbarian in the Playground

Moonwell Convergence

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Moonwell Convergence]

Anika is currently a bear and bears don't have strong opinions on other people's faces unless it's regarding how eatable that face is.
    Currently Anika would give Laz's face a 1/10 rating, would not eat.
    She turns her attention to the hatch that she totally just found on purpose and swipes her paw at it. This is completely ineffectual and even she probably realized that as she didn't really try that hard as it likely would hurt her claws more than it would damage the hatch.

Laz attempt to open it is more effective however as she can feel it starting to loosen with a loud sound of metal breaking. She's going to have to pull again but eventually it does open up just enough for her and Awen to slide down through it. Underneath it is a shaft with a ladder carved into it that's illuminated by faintly glowing red orbs in-between each step.

But before they climb down the ladder they might notice something, the carvings displaying open lidless eyes have all mysteriously changed into simple lines as if they just closed while they weren't looking. This seems to suddenly turn the entire ship, the hatch they just broke open included, invisible.
    The shaft is still there but it now looks like some kind of weird rift in reality that they would have to climb into.

If they do, they will find that it's uncomfortable warm inside the obelisk ship. The temperature well above that which most humanoids are comfortable with. It probably won't bother Laz but Awen might need a spell to not be drenched in sweat or have trouble breathing down there.

Of course, once they've either just jumped/flied down into the hatch or started climbing the ladder they will notice that the sunlight coming through the breach Laz just created suddenly disappears. Did the hatch close? Nope.
    It's just a bear trying to come through and not quite fitting.

A transformation later Anika still struggles a bit as she's larger than both of them even with all that armor Laz is wearing. "Stupid... okay, there! I'm throuuu-"

And so the druid falls down the hatch.
    Saint Lazarus tries her best to ignore the bear. Given how very different it is from her normal prey species, this is a lot easier than it could've been. If Anika had chosen to be an elf, well...

"We've got to keep moving. Time is limited," she declares, sprinting down the hall, oblivious to the ship's attempts to make a sweaty, uncomfortable mess of the rest of her party. That's not to say she's without any distractions at all, of course. Her stomach growls at her, and her mouth salivates expectantly, eager for the tasty meal it's come to subconsciously associate with periods of adrenaline and bloodshed. There has to be at least some demons made of meat, right? Or human-shaped minions she could tear into? They used to work with gnoll tribes a while back, right? She could probably sink her teeth into a gnoll without issue, though it wouldn't taste nearly as delicious as a human or elf.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

30. - Top - End - #240

Jade grins. "All the time. There's a couple crime sprees I'm working on right now. If I can find any connections, I can find the perpetrators." Many superheroes are part first responder, part detective, and Jade is no exception. Although she's no stranger to technical puzzles, albeit of a very different sort.
    "You can work on more than one crime spree at once?"
    That is impressive. She would surely get the clues all mixed up if she tried.
    "And the criminals don't make themselves too easy to catch?" she teases.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine