New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Seaside 5: Kinda like One Piece without the anime

Beach Party - Swimming Supers

"I kinda have to. There's always more criminals than heroes at work." Jade thinks about the second question for a moment. "If they're easy to catch, I just anonymously turn the information I have over to the police and they can take care of it. I'm more concerned with things they can't handle." Like supervillains or extremely clever criminal masterminds.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

2. - Top - End - #242
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Beach Party]

Swimming Supers

"Why is that, that there are so many more criminals?" Skye asks, sounding a little bit like someone who already has the answer.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

3. - Top - End - #243
    Troll in the Playground

"Criminals are dangerous. If they break one law, what others might they be willing to? Most people don't have the courage to stand up to them for no reason. It takes unusual events to make a hero." Jade feels pretty good about this explanation.

My Nexus characters

4. - Top - End - #244

Default [Beach Party]

Swimming Supers

"Are the police not heroic, for standing up to these people? And don't superheroes break some of the laws themselves?"
    Skye shakes her head.
    "Think of the appearance of crime like a mystery."
    And then she pops underwater to swim a short distance away, looking delighted when she breaks the surface again.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

5. - Top - End - #245
    Orc in the Playground

Beach Party
    Sekhmet & Boyfiend

Prumathe does notice, but doesn't comment. It'll make Sekhmet feel more self-conscious, and that's not a good thing. Not at a beach party, at the very least. He'll bring it up later, when they're alone, maybe. Besides, most people's canine teeth are slightly pointed. The black tongue is more unusual, however. "You liking the sausage if not the cola?"

Teen Loves

"Yes, takes months. He's nineteen about now, too. Black hair, green eyes, he used to be taller than I am but I've grown since then." He likely has too, but Natalie can't say for certain. "Can't really speak for the accent. He's been in Frankia for three years or so now, that might have had an impact- and the fact this accent would have marked him a target by those sympathetic to the English Reformative Democratic Establishment will have, too. Or whatever those murderers and anarchists are calling themselves now." Natalie doesn't like them, which is understandable. "Three things... A sextant, a compass and my spellbook. With the compass and the sextant, I can figure out where I am. Once I know that, I can use my spellbook to figure out which leylines I should pull to bring anything else I need to me." Conjuration might be cheating for this question.

Jack & Chidi

"Because you don't get it. I don't want people telling me what to do, where to go, who to talk to or anything. I have a chest full of gold, I could buy or rent anywhere I wanted- but I don't, because that's not the point. The point is I'm free. I've got no responsibilities tying me down to one place, no people relying on me, no boss or landlord telling me what to do or how to live my life. My life is mine, and I live it the way I want to." A tent or something would probably be appreciated, if only for the increased options in camping on rooftops when it's raining.

Jack thinks the offer over. "If you're good, sure. And we can rent a room in Trog's, I guess." Why bother when Jack knows of many free places to sleep that are just as comfortable she doesn't quite get, but figures it's probably a groundpounder trespassing thing.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

6. - Top - End - #246
    Troll in the Playground

Beach Party

Swimming Supers

"Of course they are. I wouldn't be here if I didn't believe the cops were doing important work. There's far more police than superheroes, and far more mundane criminals than supervillains. If anything, they're far braver. It takes guts to stand up against injustice without any special powers." Jade sighs when the legality of superheroes is brought up. "In a better world, there would be no need for superheroes. But as long as people can have powers beyond the human norm, some of them will abuse those powers, and those without powers will be unable to stop them." She shakes her head. "The worst I've done is search and seizure without a warrant. I'm not the type to play judge, jury, and executioner. I make sure that villains I catch go to the police and the courts for justice. I'm only concerned with preventing or stopping their crimes, not with punishing them for it." She knows of other "heroes" who kill in the line of duty, and she doesn't condone it at all.

Prumathe and Girlfiend

The teeth are slightly more pointed than those of normal people. Otherwise it wouldn't have needed mentioning. "It's good. Very good."

My Nexus characters

7. - Top - End - #247
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Beach Party!]

"Dazzle and magic. I suppose that makes sense! It's fascinating when the Nexus doesn't translate some words while translating others. Usually it has the most trouble with words that don't have an equivalent in another language," Geneva replies. Oh no, she's talking about nerd things now. "Linguistics isn't exactly my field of expertise but I have a friend who has studied the Nexus' transnational properties extensively, but I've picked up on a few quirks. Sometimes people can use untranslated words intentionally. Sometimes the Nexus just doesn't pick up on things, or uses a literal rendering. Many of the Equish words for 'friend' get some really odd literal translations, like 'sky-hook'."

Most people probably just ignore the Nexus' translation. Take it for granted that they'll be understood.

"I've had some fun trying to learn English words without Nexus-support, but my accent is terrible. Like Nick? He's from a place called 'Calneghfoehngah'."

Hoo boy. That was probably supposed to be 'California'. It sounds like Geneva can't pronounce an 'R' sound. She's pretty good at making horse-y whinny and nicker sounds, though.

She poofs her head feathers out in frustration.

"Foehn. Foooeh. Ugh! I can't ever get the 'R's to sound right! *snort*Hahah!"

Apparently she thinks it's funny.

"What kind of models do you make? That sounds like fun."

Meanwhile!

Oh no.

She upset Nick somehow.

There's only one thing to do.

Khannie gives Nick a hug.

Navvy isn't totally sure what's going on, so he gives Nick a huge, too.

[Marlick Bay]

The elf just crosses its arms and looks contrary. It answered Benny's question and it isn't ITS fault if he didn't like the answer.

Any of Benny's ideas about where the other cave might be COULD be correct, but it's hard to tell. At least from here. The engraving on the table isn't detailed enough to give instructions. If only one of the cultists had a journal that might contain such information...

Oh right.

Benny pocketed one of those, didn't he?

Sekhmet will be able to feel... something. Just sense of down.

And crashing waves.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmćre Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Troll in the Playground

Marlick Bay

"Down. We must go down. And waves, crashing waves," Sekhmet mutters in reply, slightly trancelike. She's bending down onto her knees now, brushing her hands along the floor. "Far below. The last piece. It must be made whole again."

My Nexus characters

9. - Top - End - #249
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Marlick Bay]

Crashing waves...maybe there's a cave right where the water hits the shore, where Zophiel first went after the first call. "Unless there's a better path inside here to get there," he says, "there might be a cliff cave somewhere I went this morning."

Regardless, that's not the important part.

Zophiel moves up to Sekhmet and taps her on the shoulder: Sekhmet's been sort-of under the influence of this weird mental...thing for almost this whole day. Hoping the tap on the shoulder can knock her out of the trancelike thought process. "Why does it need to be whole?" he asks. That's what he's been wondering this whole time, in the back of his mind.
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2020-06-07 at 01:07 AM.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Pixie in the Playground

[Beach Party]

Teen Loves

Karasu's quiet and doesn't have much to say, but she notes all of this information she's receiving. ERDE anarchists, her brother has a different accent but looks like he'd be her brother - obviously - and is 3 years older. When her girlfriend is done, she gets squeezed. "Know that whatever happens, I'll always be by your side, Talie. I have no reason to leave anymore."

When Natalie says her three, Karasu exclaims. "That's cheating, Tal! Yeah, you could say that with my three, I can make hundreds of things, but those are things I have to make myself. With your three, you can bring hundreds of things already-made!" She laughs and grins. "If I ever get deserted on an island, I hope I have you with me, even more so now."

"So, we're almost done eating, and there's water waiting for us to jump into it. Let's go swim." But then she remembers another question. "A quickie: If you could time-travel, when and where would you go?"

Jack & Chidi

Chidi frowns a little. He's not going to tell her how she should live her life, but given the humble upbringing he's had, the son of a single teen mother who had to work to get where he is, her declaration comes off to him as nothing more than selfish hedonism. "You're right, I don't get it. Never will, either, I guess." Then he drops the subject.

Her reaction tells him she probably has better ideas on where to sleep... but considering those places could be abandoned houses or whatnot, he doesn't press the issue further. "Awesome." He eventually gets curious enough that he ends up asking, anyway. "Or, do you have a better idea on where to spend the night?"

Then he points at the sea. "Let's go swimming. I can store your bag in my inventory if you want."
    Last edited by Purple Eagle; 2020-06-07 at 03:26 AM.
    Purple Eagle's character list
    Love is the message.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Orc in the Playground

Marlick Bay

Benedict frowns at the elf. If he had his way, that elf will find itself chained to a table as he vivisects it to find out how it works later. He doubts he'll have his way, but he can live in hope. He does pull out the journal he found and starts reading it, skimming it for clues or better yet a map. Hopefully those cultists knew a way down there, because otherwise he's wasting his time.

He hears what Sekhmet says, though. "It must be brought together because it is broken and the pieces compel those that hold them to repair it. The tiefling has the mental fortitude of a wet paper bag, it seems, and I really think completing it like some second-hand jigsaw puzzle is a very bad idea." Hopefully Sekhmet has the mental fortitude of a wet paper bag. Otherwise Benedict's desire for one of the relics is riskier than he'd like

Beach Party
    Prumathe & Girlfiend

"I'm really glad to hear it, Sekhmet." He takes a bite and reaches over to give her a hug, as he's nearly finished. "You wanna go swimming after this, or sunbathing, or find someone to talk to? Other than me, I mean." Prumathe wouldn't mind meeting some of Sekhmet's friends, but the ones she saw earlier made her uncomfortable. So that seems unlikely.

Teen Loves

They aren't literally anarchists, Karasu. Natalie believes their actions are destined to result in anarchy, but that is most likely not the political theory they follow.

"I'd be limited to stuff I know the location of, actually. Same as always. I can't just reach out blindly and hope I find what I need. Well, I can, but it won't work." And then another question, a rather silly one. "I'd go home. To when I was ten, I think. See myself, Dad, and my brother all being a family. Maybe... maybe I'd go back sooner, so I could meet my Mum and remember her, but... I don't miss her like I do Dad." Natalie's crying now, but she hasn't seemed to have noticed. The suntail hawk moves up to Karasu's shoulders.

Jack & Chidi

Jack had a reasonably similar upbringing, in that she doesn't know who her father is. Everyone where she grew up is a semi-nomadic scavenger, thief and merchant, but even so a lot of people told Jack what she should and shouldn't do. Shouldn't follow her mother's footsteps, shouldn't talk to the humans, should hand over the shiniest baubles to the community's elders to barter for food and supplies with... Lots of people trying to tell her what to do, and much of the time 'what to do' included the things they didn't want to do themselves. "Couple places. There's a rooftop garden covered in thick, soft moss. Really comfy; I sleep there sometimes when it's not warm and dry. And there's a ladder leading most of the way up, so you can get there quite easy. Or an attic or something, but... I think you'd disapprove."

She smiles at the offer of storing her bag in his inventory, whatever that is, and shakes her head. "Nah, I've got this." Reaching into the satchel, she pulls out a collapsible shovel and folds the blade at an angle, to make a hook shape. Shrugging the bag off her shoulder and holding it in the other hand, she beats her wings and flies up to a point about six metres or so up. She holds the shovel out, presses a button and lets go. The shovel hangs there, totally still, unattached to anything, even after Jack swings her bag over the hook and starts to descend.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Troll in the Playground

Beach Party - Prumathe and Girlfiend

Sekhmet finishes her food and looks out over the ocean. "Let's, uh, go swimming. She finds a trashcan to throw her rubbish in.

My Nexus characters

13. - Top - End - #253
    Pixie in the Playground

[Beach Party]

Teen Loves

"Hmm, true... still feels a bit like cheating, but it's not too cheaty." Karasu decides. "Though considering my beads contain my inventory, I suppose I'd be cheating as well."

Karasu has her own similarly tear-inducing answer, but once Natalie starts talking, she almost wishes she didn't ask. Almost, because as painful as it is, it's good that they can talk about it with each other. When the girl she loves starts crying and the hawk moves up to her own shoulders, she hugs Natalie tighter. "Oh, Natalie... I know how you feel. I'd go back to when I was five, before our parents were killed. Be a family again. Don't remember them as well as Bro Mirai, because he was 10 and I was so little."

She releases the hug and gently grabs Natalie's chin to face her, and presses her forehead against Natalie's. Seeing her cry, she wipes her pale girlfriend's tears with a finger. "Sorry for making you cry, love." She says, even though she's crying as well. A big part is because she misses her parents, and but there's also the fact that she empathizes with Natalie so much.

Jack & Chidi

"The rooftop garden sounds nice, actually! We can go there instead." Chidi decides. It'd be romantic too, if they had any romantic feelings for each other, which they don't. He decides it'd be good to know the location in case he ever decides to be tied down to someone.

He watches her with interest, wondering what she'd do. His eyes grow big when she gets the shovel to hang in space, unsupported, and just at the push of a button. "Wha... how?" Curious Nexus! "I want one of those!" He'll stand up, ready to go swim with Jack, still looking at the hanging shovel and wondering what's allowing that to happen. She'll have to distract him from it, somehow... or possibly just say what's allowing it to happen.

Zara and Abi?

(placeholder: Fel and Rosie)
    Love is the message.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

[Beach Party]

"Oh, what kind of models? Ships? Planes? Tiny robots?" Seems Nick has dabbled.
    "But ah, yeah. Pronunciation is...hard." And that's all that he has to say about that.
    Mostly because if he thinks about it too hard his brain remembers that beaks can't speak normal English and he stops being able to talk coherently so he just coasts by not thinking about it. At the very least that stunt Fortuna pulled did make him speak fluent Griffin. Anyone paying attention might notice that he puts a little bit more emphasis on G sounds as a griffin.
    He doesn't comment on the California thing. Mostly since the first time they discussed it Geneva made some comments on similar names and got upset. He can't remember the specifics, though.

Meanwhile!

Nick is hugged! That's good. He shakes himself all over.
    "Uh, thanks guys. I'm um. I'm good okay?" It seems he's back to normal again for now. Who knows what that was about? Nick and Nick, probably.
    Last edited by Deathkeeper; 2020-06-08 at 10:18 AM.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

[Beach Party]

"If we're bein' precise, ma'am, this is a slang, not a language," Michalson points out. "It's just a manner of speakin' where I come from, in Sigil. Particularly the lower classes. We call it the cant. But the Nexus sure does put its own spin on things. It translates languages, but not the cant, so I jangle people often." "Jangle" presumably means "confuse" or something like that. "I've been tryin' to make model planes. I like 'em, never seen anythin' like them before coming 'ere. But, uh." This is not a pleasant topic, so he decides to skirt it. "My right hand has trouble bein' precise."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Orc in the Playground

Beach Party
    Prumathe & Girlfiend

Prumathe's rubbish is also thrown away, and he heads into the sea. He'll probably stay waist deep at most; he's a good swimmer, in a pool. He's a little nervous about tides and doesn't want to be carried out to sea or anything.

Teen Loves

Natalie doesn't say anything at this point, just holding Karasu tight. "Don't be, Karasu. This is... Sad, but good sad. I'm remembering Dad, and sharing that. Y'know?" She's crying, but smiling too. As much as she misses her dad, the memories are good ones, and make her feel happy.

Jack & Chidi

"Unfortunately, I found that shovel in the same cave I found my chest of gold. I have no idea how it works, except magic. You know magic, you might have a better idea." No, Jack, Chidi knows technology. Alas, Jack doesn't see much difference between the two. "Come on, let's get in the water." Jack will drag Chidi if necessary.

Abi & Zara

Abi is arriving now. She's a fifteen-year-old girl with short green hair and currently blue-green eyes. She's wearing a bright blue tankini top and she's paired it with neon yellow bottoms, currently hiding behind the white-and-black striped beach towel she's wrapped about her waist like a skirt. She's also wearing a bumbag with some of her more important things in. When she sees Zara, she'll wave, her hand creating a rainbow again.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Troll in the Playground

Sekhmet is barely a swimmer at all. She's definitely not going in too deep. She doesn't take her necklace off to swim either. Her longer hair is all wet almost immediately. But it feels good to be in the water again. The last time she was swimming was also on a date with Prumathe. "This is great. It's been a while. I'm glad we can just take time off."

My Nexus characters

18. - Top - End - #258
    Pixie in the Playground

[Beach Party]

Natalie & Karasu

"Yeah... I like that we can share our feelings and cry together like this." Karasu comments, smiling back with the tears still streaming down her face. "I love you so much, Talie." She smiles, planting a small kiss on her girlfriend's lips.

"We should go and swim. Let me carry you into the water?" She offers.

Jack & Chidi

"I don't know magic, Jack. The best explanation I have is that something invisible is holding it. Or, the button is some sort of space-time anchor... which just raises further questions." Chidi keeps staring and trying to puzzle it out until he's dragged to the pool! "Yeah, swimming. Right." Anything to take his mind off what he just saw. He follows her into the water. "What makes you think I know magic?" He does ask.

Zara & Abi

Zara, the sixteen-year old Jewish girl with olive skin, wavy black hair and green eyes, arrives! She's wearing a modest black and pink swimsuit made up of a short-sleeved top, ankle length trousers and a swimcap for her hair, all made of water-resistant swimsuit material. She has a bag containing a few important things, such as a waterproof file containing some drawing materials.

She grins when she sees Abi, running towards her and giving her a hug and a kiss on the lips. "Hiya, Abi! I thought this would be a good opportunity for a Seaside date. I'm paying where necessary, as promised." She loops her hand in Abi's. "Let's go to the food tent for food and drink!"
    Love is the message.

19. - Top - End - #259

[Marlick Bay]

Benedict is not likely to pull that off with the rest of the party around.
    "We should go back where you went this morning. Show us the way there?"
    There shouldn't be much left to do in this cult hideout.
    "And once we get there, no one touch the relic until the whole area is secure, right?"

Beach Party
    Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Swimming Supers

"Of course they are. I wouldn't be here if I didn't believe the cops were doing important work. There's far more police than superheroes, and far more mundane criminals than supervillains. If anything, they're far braver. It takes guts to stand up against injustice without any special powers." Jade sighs when the legality of superheroes is brought up. "In a better world, there would be no need for superheroes. But as long as people can have powers beyond the human norm, some of them will abuse those powers, and those without powers will be unable to stop them." She shakes her head. "The worst I've done is search and seizure without a warrant. I'm not the type to play judge, jury, and executioner. I make sure that villains I catch go to the police and the courts for justice. I'm only concerned with preventing or stopping their crimes, not with punishing them for it." She knows of other "heroes" who kill in the line of duty, and she doesn't condone it at all.
    "You think the problem is people having superior powers? If something is always going to be abused, it ought to be taken away, don't you think?"
    Skye shakes her head.
    "It explains something, but there are villains who aren't so super-powered, aren't there? That tendency towards abusing that people have runs far deeper.
    She kicks her feet harder against the water and taps her fingers while thinking aloud, "Worst thing I've ever done...I wouldn't care to guess at that. People would probably disagree." There are lines even this supervillain doesn't cross, but keeping within the lines can have a high price as well.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

20. - Top - End - #260
    Troll in the Playground

"The powers aren't the problem. Where I come from, supergeniuses alone have cured the common cold, provided new sources of clean energy, and so much more. People with powers can prevent disasters that would devastate cities. The problem is that not everyone is satisfied with using their powers for good. Superheroes are necessary because there are supervillains." Jade feels strongly about this topic, and it shows.

My Nexus characters

21. - Top - End - #261
    Orc in the Playground

Beach Party
    Prumathe & Girlfiend

"Yeah, it's great. And the seaside is a wonderful place to spend time. I'd live here, if I could. Maybe get a boat and go sailing, animate it to do all the work for me so I can lie back and enjoy myself." Prumathe loves the smell of the sea. But he's not been on a boat; he might get seasick. He's kinda hoping another portal doesn't open up back to Sekhmet's parent's house. He can't imagine having to explain to her dad what's happened to her, all the changes that have occurred. Also, he'd be in his swimwear again, and that would be embarrassing again.

Teen Loves

"Yeah, let's." Natalie starts to get up, and nearly transforms into something to race Karasu to the sea, but then her girlfriend makes the offer. "Sure. Uh, how?" Natalie's standing up, which makes things easier. Whether Karasu picks a bridal carry or a fireman's carry won't really matter, she won't resist.

Jack & Chidi

"You could figure out what was wrong with my phones. They work through magic." Jack is a little surprised at Chidi's denial of magical knowledge, since he could help with that and so insistent that what she saw as a useless chunk of glass, plastic and metal was actually good for defending herself against muggers in ways that aren't simply using it as an improvised weapon. Jack's quite a confident swimmer, and she beats her wings to help propel herself through the water. Given they're from a mutant auk, a type of seabird, they're quite good at this, and the feathers are waterproof. Better than her jackdaw wings are, too.

Zabi

Abi takes Zara's hand and pecks back, her eyes going slightly pink as she does so. "I'm glad to be here, I love the beach. Sand, bright colours, crashing waves, fish and chips, groynes, all that fun stuff." Abi looks around and will try to drag Zara to the tent, where she's after fish and chips. "Do you want to share it? More romantic that way." Also probably cheaper, since rather than two small or medium portions they can get one medium or large one. But Abi does think it'd be more romantic to share it, and enforce a bit more closeness.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Troll in the Playground

No magical portals are going to open up today. That was a birthday miracle for Sekhmet. It's not likely to happen again. Sekhmet smiles. "I wouldn't mind living here either. There's plenty of space, and the sound of the sea is soothing. I've never been boating before." But she's seen boats. Her hometown had a large harbor.

My Nexus characters

23. - Top - End - #263
    Pixie in the Playground

[Beach Party]

Teen Loves

Karasu chooses a bridal carry. More romantic that way! She gets up and scoops Natalie up with her arms, glad to show off her strength to her girlfriend. "Up you go." She'll like it if Natalie puts her hands around her neck.

Once she gets into the water about waist-deep level, she'll drop Natalie back down, kiss her and then start wading in the water. "So, Natalie, another question. Are you an indoors-y person, or an outdoors-y person? I know you like to read and practice outdoors, but so do I... yet I prefer indoors." She playfully splashes some water at Natalie and grins.

Jack & Chidi

Chidi blinks at Jack, then breaks into a chuckle. "Well, there is the saying, 'any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic'..." He grins. "They don't work through magic, but technology. Now that..." He points to the shovel just hanging there. "That's magic... although there's the possibility it's some kind of advanced technology... or magitech..." Too complicated for him, though.

He's a really good swimmer, fast enough he can keep up with her unaided. "Those wings of yours are handy for swimming..." He comments.

Zaabi

"I love the beach too. So peaceful, full of things to draw, and last but definitely not least, so fun!" Zara follows to the tent, almost skipping as she walks. "Yes, yes let's share one. Oo, fish and chips, I like those two things! And maybe we could feed each other some." She adds, blushing a bit. "What about a drink? I want Pepsi Cola." She says, and fetches a mug of the stuff. "Then we can build sandcastles!"
    Love is the message.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Orc in the Playground

Beach Party
    Prumathe & Girlfiend

"Oh, really? That's something to keep in mind for the future, then." Going boating would be an interesting date, maybe for their anniversary or something. He's heard it's supposed to be relaxing, and given Sekhmet's life recently that sounds good.

Teen Loves

Natalie squeaks slightly as she's lifted, and blushes quite a bit. She does put her arms around Karasu's neck, just to feel a bit more secure. The hawk follows along, walking on its four legs. It won't get in the water, though; it's not a seabird, really. Natalie is dropped, which is a little awkward as she only just catches herself before she's dunked. She kisses when she's recovered, though. "Outside. Definitely. If I could stay outside for the rest of my life, I probably would. Inside's great, but... Outside smells nicer, y'know? Even when there's manure and stuff, there's also flowers and plants and just... Definitely outside." Natalie couldn't imagine living in a house without a garden. Even a balcony would make her happier, but not by much.

Jack & Chidi

"It works in a way I don't understand, it has a window that changes what it shows, based on how and where I touch it, it can send messages over immense distances and when it doesn't work, I can't figure out how to make it work. What's the difference?" And don't say 'technology makes sense'; Jack can't make sense of technology, as proven by her inability to figure out how to charge her phone. "They are, aren't they? The eyes don't get stung by the seawater, and the feathers don't get waterlogged like the rest of my feathers. Since I took them from a dying mutant bird thing in a flooded cave with breathable water, I think they're seabird wings." Just a bit of a pity it's not the rest of Jack's feathers that are waterproof, so she could fly straight through the sea as a jackdaw. That would be quite amazing.

Zaabi

"Ooh, dandelion and burdock, please." She'll take a can, rather than a mug; harder for sand to get in it, she hopes at least. Her eyes turn pinker at the suggestion of feeding each other, and she nods at the sandcastle comment, reaching into the bumbag and pulling out a small plastic shovel. "Way ahead of you, Zara."

25. - Top - End - #265
    Troll in the Playground

"That could be fun. Maybe we should try sometime?" Sekhmet splashes her way backwards in the water. "I bet if I tried to learn, I could swim really well. It's just like flying, right?" Does Prumathe know Sekhmet can fly? I don't think she's told or shown him.

My Nexus characters

26. - Top - End - #266
    Pixie in the Playground

[Beach Party]

Teen Loves

Natalie isn't just dropped unceremoniously, but gently placed in the water. "Guessed as much. As I've said, I prefer indoors, even though I'm outdoors most of the time. Maybe in the future, when we're old enough to get a place of our own, we'll have a house with a garden for flowers and plants for you to look at." Karasu says, doing the backstroke. "Just think, in a little less than two years we'll be 18, and freer. I can't wait."

Jack & Chidi

"For everything a phone does, there's an underlying technological process. It's complicated to explain, but relies on electronics, technology and non-supernatural stuff, unlike magic." Chidi notes. "All the reasons I can think of for that shovel hanging there are supernatural."

"Wait, breathable water? Tell me more about that." Dying mutant bird thing whose wings attached to her is quite interesting, but not as much as breathable water. That's definitely something he'd like to experience. "It does look like seabird wings, based on my limited knowledge of birds..."

Zaabi

First post did describe available food as cheese and sausages only; and the beverages (alcoholic or otherwise) being in a mug and being magically chilled, though. So perhaps they buy the fish and chips somewhere else.

Zara also helps herself to some cheese, because she loves that Cyprus cheese, and she's willing to share. She beams when Abi produces the plastic shovel, and points at the relevant tent once they leave the current tent. "Look, we can get animated sand and toy soldiers there, for our castle! Let's eat and chat first, though." She stretches her palm and fingers until it's wide enough to hold their plate and drinks.

"Y'know, I'm wearing the swimsuit with pink because of you." She says with a smile.
    Love is the message.

27. - Top - End - #267

Spoiler: QUOTES
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    Moonwell: Keep Moving or Everybody Explodes

”Agh, [shist]!” Blanche staggers as the device explodes, ears ringing a little - it may not be very loud, but it’s still in an enclosed space, and her ears are still sensitive. Luckily it seems like she’s able to shake off the brief amount of flash that got to her eyes.

”Geneva! Get that [canoodle]ing thing out of here! Toss it at the Moonwell if you can but don’t get yourself killed trying it!” Blanche orders, moving over to check the halfling for injuries.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    [Moonwell Convergence]

Awen, hearing that, stops preparing the spell. "O-okay," she says.

She probably thinks Laz is some kind of orc with a bad skin condition.
    Either that, or she's thinking through what spells she has, since she has dealt with and controlled undead before. All the useful spells that would strengthen Laz would also either put her under Awen's control like a puppet - that seems squicky and gross - or would make Laz lose her self-control. Both options seem counterproductive, except in really emergency situations. That's not to mention the nearly useless spells, like making Laz appear not-undead. Once again, Awen decides that she's kind-of useless in this situation. Since that Blanche ditched and stayed on the other ship, what was even the point of Awen coming over here? Since there's really nothing helpful she can do...

While being lost in her thoughts and while waiting for the hatch to be torn off, Awen looks around and notices that GIANT DRAGON SKELETON. "That...that doesn't look good."

Okay, Laz has gone in. Awen flies over to the opened hatch...it's too small to fit her broom in as-is. And she can't just get off. So...after thinking for a moment, she moves the broom so she's no longer riding on it side-saddle (but with one hand on it) and holds it vertically like a pole. She wraps a leg around it to hold it steady.

She slowly flies down the hole, with the broom like that - and leaves it like that, to make it easier to maneuver in the hallways down there.

Forget about dark, the worst part is how hot it is here. Awen doesn't directly have any spells to solve that - besides, of course, trying to freeze everything - so she tries, at first, to just deal with it.

However, it's still too much.
    She blows out air and mimes grabbing the air. Awen then stretches out that breath. Moments later, there's a light breeze going down the hallway, especially around Awen.
    It's...not perfect but at least it's not awful.

"I...I'll follow," she says to Laz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    [Moonwell: Keep Talking and Hopefully the Ship Doesn't Explode]

Nah the barrier is good at keeping physical force out.

While Geneva COULD polarize it in such a was so as to minimize light blasting through it she would have had to know that was something she had to defend against and as such she's seeing spots now.

Blinking away the FLASH she wraps her barrier around the demonic bomb and takes off at full speed away from the ship! She's moving pretty darn quick and heading in the direction of the island. Once she feels like she's a comfortable distance away she whip the barrier-and-bomb around like she's winding up for a hammer-toss before lobbing it in the direction of the moonwell!

Pchooo!

Away it goes!

Hopefully she managed to get it out of here before it blew up because that would be a real drag.

Geneva doesn't like getting blown up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Approaching the Crystal Pinnacle

In addition to boarding from above, some of the engineers are tasked with cutting a hole in the side of the captured destroyer so they can attack from below as well as above, particularly as the security teams are taking pretty heavy fire. A steam cannon brought into the gut for repairs fires an incendiary bomb at the destroyer's upper deck, hoping at least to start forcing the goblins to keep their heads down and possibly even retreat. There's several explosions and the whole town shudders; those at the front of the captured destroyer can see the furthest of the six triple-expansion steam boilers used as power disintegrate as a hole opens in the town's hull. More explosions follow; fired from outside, Beverly-in-Hull's hull is ruptured in several places and it's not impossible for one of the torpedoes to damage the ship inside.

Beverly-in-Hull has six engines, each one directly linked to one of the massive paddlewheels- though there are two of those wheels at the back. One of the wheels is utterly destroyed, as is the engine behind it- the explosions cause a lot of damage, and the wheel on the opposite side is no longer powered either. The raft-town starts to veer off to the far side, turning as water drags on the immobile wheel as engineers try to either cut the whole thing free or restart that engine. The torpedoes also hit, and more engineers and townsfolk panic as the other two wheels on that side of the town are damaged and water starts flooding in. The steam cannons change target, firing a large quantity of incendiary bombs filled with fish-based oil and fragmentation shells at the destroyer, whilst those steam cannon that can't be pointed far enough down to fire on sea-based targets start firing at the approaching drones; the inaccurate weapons trying to fill the air with enough flaming oil and high-speed shrapnel to cause some casualties- though the drones aren't the slow-moving hydrogen-filled airships the guns were designed to fight off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Moonwell Convergence

Saint Lazarus tries her best to ignore the bear. Given how very different it is from her normal prey species, this is a lot easier than it could've been. If Anika had chosen to be an elf, well...

"We've got to keep moving. Time is limited," she declares, sprinting down the hall, oblivious to the ship's attempts to make a sweaty, uncomfortable mess of the rest of her party. That's not to say she's without any distractions at all, of course. Her stomach growls at her, and her mouth salivates expectantly, eager for the tasty meal it's come to subconsciously associate with periods of adrenaline and bloodshed. There has to be at least some demons made of meat, right? Or human-shaped minions she could tear into? They used to work with gnoll tribes a while back, right? She could probably sink her teeth into a gnoll without issue, though it wouldn't taste nearly as delicious as a human or elf.

The goblins on the upper deck are forced down by the cover fire, but the rest of the crew are starting to get armed and is coming out from the command deck to start firing back at the attackers. They're not nearly as good at shooting or fighting as the elite squad but many of them have had more than just basic training in firearms and can probably at least force some of the invaders to take cover.
    The elites are too few to handle the ones trying to cut a hole in the boat but the crew have some ideas how to counter a potential multifront attack for at least a little bit more depending on just how many invaders there are.

It doesn't look like the ship they were trapped in was going to last for much longer after all.
    Once it looks like all projectiles have hit their mark the loudspeakers on board the sea witch crackles to life once more. "YOU'RE SINKING, PLEASE SURRENDER, RETURN OUR SHIP AND ALLOW US TO HELP YOU!" The drones are still keeping their distance and aren't yet firing back at the ship so they're not trying to engage the dangerous fumes just yet.

[Moonwell Convergence]

While Awen, Anika and Laz can't see the explosion while being inside the ship they can still hear it well enough. But the obelisk ship is now far away enough that it isn't affected by the shockwaves which sent ripples through the VIGIL ship.
    The heat onboard the ship seems less of a deterrence and more of residual heat created by whatever engines that are running this thing as it seems to be coming from the walls all around them.

As it so happens Anika is the first to reach the bottom of ladder as she's, well, falling. She seems to have taken it remarkably well though as she's already on her feet once Laz managed to climb down the rest of the way.
    However, she's now an elf which might be a problem for Laz, especially as she has so much tasty meat exposed in that bikini of hers. The druid is standing with one hand placed against a huge metal door at the bottom of ladder. It looks like the kind you'd find on a submarine with a wheel in the middle of it.

She turns around to face the ghoul-knight once she approaches. "Hey, Saint Lazarus was it right? I think Awen is injured so I'm gonna try to mend her while you try to open this door. Pretty sure it has something to do with this giant wheel-thing but it feels like it's stuck." It's obvious that she isn't unaffected by the heat as beads of sweat is already forming all over her.
    She seems to be playing it off as of no concern however as she's waving to Awen to approach. She's going to work her healing magic and cause the witch's bones to mend if Awen allows her to.

If Saint Laz do attempt to open the door, she will have to put in some effort but eventually the wheel will turn. However, almost as soon as the door starts to open and Laz gets a view of the other side, the pit lord (made of 100 % pure demon flesh) she catches a glimpse of on the other side of the room beyond the door throws a large fireball at her.

Moonwell: Keep Moving or Everybody Explodes

The "bomb", or whatever the strange contraption is, will take some effort to remove as the demons seems to have impaled into the ships hull with such force that it looks like it would nearly be sticking out of it.

Of course, Geneva just removes the hull it's attached along with it once she warps the barrier around it. That does make it significantly easier.
    Once outside there isn't that much to prevent Geneva to fly straight towards the moon well other than the time it takes for the bomb to supposedly go off. She can see that the bats that survived the initial encountered with her and Laz have gathered in the trees a distance from the well but don't have the time to react before, as expected, the device suddenly explodes in a massive burst of red light.

The partly formed dragon body which just turns around as Geneva throws the device have to shield it's hollow "eyes" with it's partly formed arm as the light is so bright it even seem to blind the undead.

On board the VIGIL skyship Blanche will feel the entire ship violently shaking as the explosion sends shockwaves through the air. However, as long as they don't fall off, down the stairs or have something fall on them, they should be relatively fine.

[Moonwell EXPLOSION]

As the light of the explosion dies down those looking in the direction of the moon well can see that it has burned away nearly all of the jungle that was once surrounding the well, leaving it completely exposed.
    The only vegetation near the well that is left is actually the greenery closest to it as it seems to have been protected by some kind of forcefield, the field they saw those golems project from the camera Blanche had set up.

But it doesn't look like the forcefield survived the explosion either as now that it's visible to the naked eye they can see that the entire front of it is missing. Indeed, while it seems to have taken the brunt of the explosion it doesn't seem to have been able to completely protect it. A group of charred golems of the kind they saw earlier are standing in a semi-circle around the lake underneath the well and the ground underneath them is black and barren. Looks like the pit fiends on the island are moving about in a state of disarray.

Above the well it appears that the skeletal dragon is unharmed, or at least as unharmed you can possibly be as a half-formed skeleton, but the swirling purple cloud surrounding it has started to shrink away after the explosion.

"YOU [FOUL LANGUAGE] LOWLIVES! I'M GOING TO [INTERCOURSE UP] YOU, YOUR [PARENTAL INSULTS INVOLVING SUGGESTIONS OF INBREEDING]! JUST YOU WAIT!" The creature suddenly roars as two purple orbs forms within its hollow eye sockets.
    "I WILL BE BACK FOR YOU!" Despite not being fully formed, the dragon skeleton is now moving into the purple cloud for purposes unknown.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2020-06-12 at 09:47 AM.

28. - Top - End - #268

[Moonwell Convergence]

As it turns out, seeing Anika exposed in a bikini affects Awen: seeing someone with so little clothes causes her to turn away and blush. She, of course, tells herself that it's all because of the magic she used on herself earlier that's rewiring all her pain as pleasure. Which...to be honest, it probably half of it - and the other half is the fact that Awen is used to people wearing a lot more clothes.

"Y-yeah," Awen agrees. "I couldn't find anyone to drain healing from," so she'd really appreciate being healed, because that would mean she no longer needs to ride the broom in a hallway.

She flies closer to Anika and lets her heal her while praying that it actually takes: Awen has an inherent resistance to magic so sometimes even healing magic doesn't hold. This caused a problem in the infirmary back at the base once. Luckily, it seems to work nearly perfectly, as her broken legs are fixed.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

29. - Top - End - #269

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    "The powers aren't the problem. Where I come from, supergeniuses alone have cured the common cold, provided new sources of clean energy, and so much more. People with powers can prevent disasters that would devastate cities. The problem is that not everyone is satisfied with using their powers for good. Superheroes are necessary because there are supervillains." Jade feels strongly about this topic, and it shows.
    "It's not the powers that are the problem." Skye pauses. She has conflicting feelings about that.
    "Is it the people? Or is it the world?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

30. - Top - End - #270
    Orc in the Playground

Sirens wail and the townsfolk prepare to evacuate. The engines are shut off and the jaws open, as the engineers and guards cease their assault on the frigate and cut the harpoon lines keeping it in place; there's a small hole in the hull, but a lot of the engineers are surrendering to the goblins if they sail out of the Gut. Others are fleeing on a variety of other vessels; there's engineering boats with cranes, circular saws and other equipment driving out of the sinking town. On top deck, some of the buildings are being unbolted and accepting passengers; the plan is for them to float off the top of the sinking town to provide a nucleus for a new community, or at least serve as lifeboats. From the rear hatch, a barge- the remains of Beverly-in-Hull's last meal- sails out. The barge is relatively small and barely seaworthy, the engines and large sections of deck having been stripped and repurposed. It's being pushed by a pair of engineering boats, one with a hydraulic arm equipped with a pair of ripping jaws and the other tall and ungainly from scaffolding erected upon its deck. The barge itself is piled high with raw materials; there's one intact building, a domed structure in the middle made of brick, though the doors and windows have been removed. The spear recovered by the urbivore is here already; a group consisting of Gut workers, engineers and some hydroponics workers are trying to turn it into a sail.

If the goblins sent over lifeboats and rescue craft, the towndwellers are unlikely to resist the help, as currently it seems everyone is trying to escape with very little plan and quite a bit of panic.

Beach Party
    Prumathe & Girlfiend

"I don't know, not for sure. I can't really swim and certainly can't fly. Should be similar movements, at the least. I think." Prumathe doesn't know Sekhmet can fly; he also doesn't know how to swim very well.

Teen Loves

"Or a nice place in the countryside, with a short distance to a forest or something. That'd be nice, surrounded by nature." Natalie loves the countryside, particularly the safer parts. "Probably won't be practical, though. I'll be going to university or something, probably. Get a qualification so I can become a teacher when I'm ready." Hopefully she'll pass her course, if she does attend college or university.

Jack & Chidi

"You're right, I guess. Technological is worse than magic. Keeps you reliant on things that need feeding, not like magic. I've never had to attach my shovel to a wall to battery it." Although she can't talk to anyone with her shovel, either. Except possibly to explain why you shouldn't try mugging winged people. "So, right, I got this dice at a party, and I rolled it. It flooded Trog's and this little ships appeared, trying to sink each other. I stole the sails and pieced a map together out of them, to some seastacks and a waterfall. I flew over there as a jackdaw, and found a chest of gold on a seastack. There was a note saying the real treasure was where treasure always is, so I poked around a bit and found a cave behind the waterfall. Just inside was a dead bloke with a large bag, with the shovel in it and some ugly statue things. I got attacked by this mutant lady hiding in the floor, and water was trickling up the walls. I continued deeper into the cave to the point there was a fork, with a wall of water held in front of me, and I went through there. I could breathe fine. The other way had lots of birds, seabirds and stuff I think. I could hear them. I walked past a corridor full of water that was boiling and killed everything that went down there, so I didn't go down there. Instead I carried on, and found a chamber with a thing in it and a many-winged mutant bird, with six wings like these. At the end of the tunnel was a statue of this lady with wings holding her hands over her eyes. Well, the eyes in her face. She had other eyes, in her wings and hands and stuff. I gave her the thing and pulled a lever, before I turned and went back the way I came. The bird thing had swam into the death tunnel, and a pair of its wings had detached and survived. They connected to my back, and I've kept them. The other fork had closed, probably because of the lever, and that's how I got my shovel, a statuette that gives creepy dreams, my wings and a chest of gold. The dice was from a Thanksmas party hosted by Magtok." Thanksmas 2018, Earl thinks. She'd lost her finger by then.

Zaabi

Then Earl should reread that.

"Ooh, that looks cool. I wonder if we'd be able to keep the animated sand." Hopefully without losing it on the beach. That'd just be disappointing. Abi grins and her eyes turn slightly pink at the comment on Zara's swimsuit. "Aww, that's sweet of you." She reaches over and hugs Zara, taking a bite of whatever they got to eat, sausage or fish. "I've owned this one for about a year, now. I wanted a bikini, but Mum wouldn't let me get one. I like my body, and I don't burn. I barely tan. This is the best I could get." It's reasonably modest, Abi's two-piece swimsuit, but she's disappointed it's not a bikini.