Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 106
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default E6 Horror Campaign, Pathfinder 1e

    So, looking to play a Horror Campaign with some decent action. My thought was sort of a blend between Vampire Hunter D and Castlevania. Level-wise, I'd like to start at level 3 at a minimum, but could go all the way to level 7 or 9. Standard rules are fine (even including the Horror rules from Paizo, such as Corruption and different levels of fear and/or madness).

    celticbear has offered to run the setting, here are his rules:

    Spoiler: Lifeline: World's End
    Show


    World's End

    "This is the place where the boogeyman sleeps, or so our mammas told use, aye?" an old, wheezing man laughs beside you as the dark mountains seem to pierce the sky in the distance, a stark contrast to the flat desert you had grown accustomed to.

    "They say no one's been on the other side, that no army large enough has been able to cross, only to contain," the man continues, still laughing and coughing and wheezing.

    "BE SILENT, VAGRANT!" one of captors, riding from behind on high horseback whilst you walk in chains, whips the old main with a crooked barbed wire. The old man shrieks, weeping for some form of solace that no one could ever hope to find in this doomed desert. He drops, never to speak again as the captor rides over him, his horse trampling whatever life he had left.

    World's end. The place where the boogeyman sleeps, or so your mammas told you. Now it's the place where you sleep. Now it's the place where you pray.

    Spoiler: WARNING
    Show
    WARNING!!!

    While this game will not violate any of Giantitp's laws of conduct by mentioning those unmentionable nasty subjects, this game is still a horror game. Your heroes will not be valorous, your heroes will be faced with sanity wrenching threats, and the only reward for your heroes exploits will be to go up the mountain once more, and kill more monsters. This game is gonna be hard on your PCs, and will contain all sorts of themes not suited for the light of heart. Insert Parental Advisory Sticker here :P


    Spoiler: Adventure Background
    Show
    Once, you were citizens of the greatest (and only) Empire the world had ever seen: that of the Lifeline. Named after a three pronged river flowing from a great central lake, this noble society had reached technological heights to that like the beginning of our Industrial Era. However, tribalism and barbarism still plague these lands. Be it from the Shamans of the Bearwood to the Witches of the Firewood, wild tendencies plague the landscape. And then, of course, there's World's End.

    Lifeline, as a continent, has yet to be wholly explored. To the far East, past a great and ceaseless desert, there lies a mountain range which sprawls from the very North to the lowest South of Lifeline called collectively "World's End". It is thought that the first settlers of the land may have come from the other side, but no one really knows what "The Other Side" actually is. Crawling through the mountain are a thousand and one nameless horrors in a million and five different varieties. They are uncountable by mortal numbers, and unfathomable by mortal minds.

    This ceaseless horde of monsters would quickly overrun the rest of the continent were it not for the diligence of the East Imperial Chancery, a bastion against such forces of evil, and the most impregnable fortress ever built by human hands. In the ancient history of the Lifeline, many unnatural hordes have come down the mountain to try and cut a swath through the mortal lands, but every time those of the East Imperial Chancery have fought them back. These fighting men face death and fear and blood every day, and remain an unwavering guardian. At least, that's what the Imperial propaganda would tell you. In reality, very few actually volunteer for positions in the Chancery, and the bulk of their forces are composed of criminals.

    Very few crimes have being sent to World's End as an actual punishment (unregistered magic users, murder, capital thievery), but it always stands as an alternative to thieves who want to keep their fingers, "women of the night" who wish to keep their tongues and ears, or tribesmen who want to keep their freedom. To those who take this punishment willingly, the Justicar determines the amount of time you must serve faithfully to the East Imperial Chancery, but there has never been a case that has been penaltied lower than five years. Abandonment of your new post is treason, punishable by death.

    Whether you are a volunteer, prisoner, or indentured native does not batter. You are all now nameless footsoldiers to be branded with a new name in form of a number on your first day in the East Imperial Chancery. Your mostly silent captors have informed you that your first day will be orientation, followed by a tour of facilities, and finishing with dinner and rest. You will be roused a little after midnight to embark on your first expedition into the mountains. He says that not many sleep on their first night. He says that not many make it past their first night. He says that you deserve this punishment, and laughs at you, his "noble" steed chuffing a bemused agreement. The brass lined towers shine with the last rays of sunlight. The Chancery is in your field of vision now. Gods help you.


    Spoiler: Setting (Allowed Races and a note on Divine Magic
    Show
    Lifeline is not a colorful setting as opposed to Pathfinder's Golarion. As such, it has a few restrictions on what races are available

    ALL CORE RACES AND WHATEVER IS LISTED BELOW ARE ALLOWED
    Skinwalker
    Suli
    Aquatic Elf
    Changeling
    Deep One Hybrid
    Kitsune

    You may notice that all of the above races are not too monstrous looking, and can pass as human in a pinch. This is on purpose, while other races do exist, they're seen as an abomination by the Dogmatic Imperial society you live in. If you make me a good case for a race you want to play, then you are open to do so. However, the races above do not require an argument on your part, and can automatically be selected.

    DIVINE MAGIC

    For Plot Reasons and also to back up with the dark, dismal, oh sweet mama we're all going to die on this mountain vibes, all Cure, Restoration, or any other spell / ability that provides the recovery of HP or Ability Loss is now not allowed for selection. Clerics and others with the channel ability can only channel to harm, never to heal. The exception to this rule are spells that grant Fast Healing (nudges infernal healing) or grant Bonus Temporary HP (looking at you false life, but that's for later). I'd suggest that everyone take a look at the Heal skill, it might be useful...


    Spoiler: The Big Sixteen (Finally, we're all tired of hearing you talk, Celtic)
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

    Pathfinder First Edition

    2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

    The setting is Lifeline, which is described above.

    3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

    Uh, let's keep it in the four-six range, absolutely not fewer or greater than that.

    4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

    OOTS Forums

    5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

    First Level

    6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

    Standard 150, please note that all of your items while staying at the East Imperial Chancery will be stored in heavily guarded lockers

    7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

    All classes are open

    8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

    Only a few races are allowed (again see above), but you can make a case for others

    9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

    Rolling, and not in the normal way. Roll 3d6 seven times, keeping the highest six to arrange in your ability scores. If your total point values don't equal 20 Point Buy, you can spend points to make up the difference. As for HP, we'll be rolling for it at every level, including first.

    10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

    Yes this game uses alignment. There are no restrictions. You're just as likely to find a paladin here as you are an evil necromancer who got caught.

    11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

    Multiclassing in E6 games is hard to pull off, but if you think you can do it, go right ahead.

    12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

    Make your own die rolls please. I may make some in secret though.

    13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

    We'll be using E6, the rules for which can be found here. While we won't need to worry about Epic Feats for a while, some classes are not covered by the core E6 rules. In this case, we can work out which feats you are and aren't eligible for.

    14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

    I'd say a paragraph of why you've been doomed to World's End should be enough of a background. Post more if you feel like it.

    15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

    Probably a mix of all three, but a bit more in the hack and slash range.

    16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

    Besides E6, absolutely no third party content no exceptions. Other than that I think we're set!
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2020-03-11 at 05:31 PM.

    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

    He who laughs last doesn't get the joke.

    Spoiler: Stuff I Wrote
    Show
    Elite Races

    Goliaths [Part One, Part Two]
    Axiomite
    Nephilim

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Dixie
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Looking for an Action/Horror Campaign (PF 1)

    I too would be interested in something like this. Had a dhampir inquisitor I built for a vampire-focused game which unfortunately died early. I'd probably redo that character if we get a GM!

    EDIT: echoing a preference for spheres, but without's fine too.
    Last edited by rs2excelsior; 2020-03-08 at 02:51 PM.
    A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

    Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    EvilClericGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Re: Looking for an Action/Horror Campaign (PF 1)

    I'd be down for this. I'd also prefer spheres, and if we had spheres I'd probably go as a dual-channeler soul weaver who would be something of a "white necromancer" that harnesses both positive and negative energy, while turning the forces of undeath against the creatures of the night.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

    Mine started at a dinner party in the BBEG's estate.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Looking for an Action/Horror Campaign (PF 1)

    Quote Originally Posted by Giegue View Post
    I'd be down for this. I'd also prefer spheres, and if we had spheres I'd probably go as a dual-channeler soul weaver who would be something of a "white necromancer" that harnesses both positive and negative energy, while turning the forces of undeath against the creatures of the night.
    They do have a Soul Weaver archetype available for that explicit purpose called the Dual Channeler, but losing Bound Nexus is a significant loss.

    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

    He who laughs last doesn't get the joke.

    Spoiler: Stuff I Wrote
    Show
    Elite Races

    Goliaths [Part One, Part Two]
    Axiomite
    Nephilim

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    EvilClericGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Re: Looking for an Action/Horror Campaign (PF 1)

    I know, thats why I specifically called out "dual channeler soul weaver."
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

    Mine started at a dinner party in the BBEG's estate.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Looking for an Action/Horror Campaign (PF 1)

    So, we have a healer (with both AoE and debuff/buff potential), an off-healer/dps, an off-tank dps, perhaps an AoE, and we'd have a decent party (aside from someone to deactivate traps and unlock doors and chests). Just need a DM

    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

    He who laughs last doesn't get the joke.

    Spoiler: Stuff I Wrote
    Show
    Elite Races

    Goliaths [Part One, Part Two]
    Axiomite
    Nephilim

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Celticbear's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    R'lyeh
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Looking for an Action/Horror Campaign (PF 1)

    Enter celticbear, he has cool shades

    I'd be willing to run an E6 game but I gotta say nada to Spheres of any sort.
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

    Avatar by linklele

    Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    the biggest nerd ever who transforms into BEAR is of course alluring.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DaOldeWolf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Mexico
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Looking for an Action/Horror Campaign (PF 1)

    Posting interest. Pending for the Big16. I could play some kind of arcane caster to assist.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.

    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    It can also turn into a Star wars debate.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Looking for an Action/Horror Campaign (PF 1)

    Quote Originally Posted by Celticbear View Post
    Enter celticbear, he has cool shades

    I'd be willing to run an E6 game but I gotta say nada to Spheres of any sort.
    I'd probably need E6 rules to reference, but my instinct is to decline them.

    Edit: Actually looking at the ruleset, it seems thematic actually, so what level would you start us at? Would we start at level 6? Would we start with any epic feats?
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2020-03-11 at 12:27 PM.

    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

    He who laughs last doesn't get the joke.

    Spoiler: Stuff I Wrote
    Show
    Elite Races

    Goliaths [Part One, Part Two]
    Axiomite
    Nephilim

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Dixie
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Looking for an Action/Horror Campaign (PF 1)

    I am definitely game, pending a 16! I think E6 works well for a horror game, keeps enemies threatening. Im okay with starting a bit lower and working up to 6th, or beginning at 6th level.

    Spheres would be nice, but Id prefer a non-spheres game over no game at all.
    A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

    Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    ElfPirate

    Join Date
    Mar 2020

    Default Re: Looking for an Action/Horror Campaign (PF 1)

    Interested in E6 non spheres for sure

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Celticbear's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    R'lyeh
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Looking for an Action/Horror Campaign (PF 1)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bansheexero View Post
    Would we start at level 6? Would we start with any epic feats?
    Contains giddy, eldritch horror laughter

    We'll start at level 1, but you can find such information and more in the sixteen / Game Post, which can be found in the spoiler below. I would ask that the originator of this thread please change the name to "E6 Horror Campaign (PF 1e)", the tag to "Looking for Players", and to copy the code for everything that's in the spoiler into the OP

    Spoiler: Lifeline: World's End
    Show


    World's End

    "This is the place where the boogeyman sleeps, or so our mammas told use, aye?" an old, wheezing man laughs beside you as the dark mountains seem to pierce the sky in the distance, a stark contrast to the flat desert you had grown accustomed to.

    "They say no one's been on the other side, that no army large enough has been able to cross, only to contain," the man continues, still laughing and coughing and wheezing.

    "BE SILENT, VAGRANT!" one of captors, riding from behind on high horseback whilst you walk in chains, whips the old main with a crooked barbed wire. The old man shrieks, weeping for some form of solace that no one could ever hope to find in this doomed desert. He drops, never to speak again as the captor rides over him, his horse trampling whatever life he had left.

    World's end. The place where the boogeyman sleeps, or so your mammas told you. Now it's the place where you sleep. Now it's the place where you pray.

    Spoiler: WARNING
    Show
    WARNING!!!

    While this game will not violate any of Giantitp's laws of conduct by mentioning those unmentionable nasty subjects, this game is still a horror game. Your heroes will not be valorous, your heroes will be faced with sanity wrenching threats, and the only reward for your heroes exploits will be to go up the mountain once more, and kill more monsters. This game is gonna be hard on your PCs, and will contain all sorts of themes not suited for the light of heart. Insert Parental Advisory Sticker here :P


    Spoiler: Adventure Background
    Show
    Once, you were citizens of the greatest (and only) Empire the world had ever seen: that of the Lifeline. Named after a three pronged river flowing from a great central lake, this noble society had reached technological heights to that like the beginning of our Industrial Era. However, tribalism and barbarism still plague these lands. Be it from the Shamans of the Bearwood to the Witches of the Firewood, wild tendencies plague the landscape. And then, of course, there's World's End.

    Lifeline, as a continent, has yet to be wholly explored. To the far East, past a great and ceaseless desert, there lies a mountain range which sprawls from the very North to the lowest South of Lifeline called collectively "World's End". It is thought that the first settlers of the land may have come from the other side, but no one really knows what "The Other Side" actually is. Crawling through the mountain are a thousand and one nameless horrors in a million and five different varieties. They are uncountable by mortal numbers, and unfathomable by mortal minds.

    This ceaseless horde of monsters would quickly overrun the rest of the continent were it not for the diligence of the East Imperial Chancery, a bastion against such forces of evil, and the most impregnable fortress ever built by human hands. In the ancient history of the Lifeline, many unnatural hordes have come down the mountain to try and cut a swath through the mortal lands, but every time those of the East Imperial Chancery have fought them back. These fighting men face death and fear and blood every day, and remain an unwavering guardian. At least, that's what the Imperial propaganda would tell you. In reality, very few actually volunteer for positions in the Chancery, and the bulk of their forces are composed of criminals.

    Very few crimes have being sent to World's End as an actual punishment (unregistered magic users, murder, capital thievery), but it always stands as an alternative to thieves who want to keep their fingers, "women of the night" who wish to keep their tongues and ears, or tribesmen who want to keep their freedom. To those who take this punishment willingly, the Justicar determines the amount of time you must serve faithfully to the East Imperial Chancery, but there has never been a case that has been penaltied lower than five years. Abandonment of your new post is treason, punishable by death.

    Whether you are a volunteer, prisoner, or indentured native does not batter. You are all now nameless footsoldiers to be branded with a new name in form of a number on your first day in the East Imperial Chancery. Your mostly silent captors have informed you that your first day will be orientation, followed by a tour of facilities, and finishing with dinner and rest. You will be roused a little after midnight to embark on your first expedition into the mountains. He says that not many sleep on their first night. He says that not many make it past their first night. He says that you deserve this punishment, and laughs at you, his "noble" steed chuffing a bemused agreement. The brass lined towers shine with the last rays of sunlight. The Chancery is in your field of vision now. Gods help you.


    Spoiler: Setting (Allowed Races and a note on Divine Magic
    Show
    Lifeline is not a colorful setting as opposed to Pathfinder's Golarion. As such, it has a few restrictions on what races are available

    ALL CORE RACES AND WHATEVER IS LISTED BELOW ARE ALLOWED
    Skinwalker
    Suli
    Aquatic Elf
    Changeling
    Deep One Hybrid
    Kitsune

    You may notice that all of the above races are not too monstrous looking, and can pass as human in a pinch. This is on purpose, while other races do exist, they're seen as an abomination by the Dogmatic Imperial society you live in. If you make me a good case for a race you want to play, then you are open to do so. However, the races above do not require an argument on your part, and can automatically be selected.

    DIVINE MAGIC

    For Plot Reasons and also to back up with the dark, dismal, oh sweet mama we're all going to die on this mountain vibes, all Cure, Restoration, or any other spell / ability that provides the recovery of HP or Ability Loss is now not allowed for selection. Clerics and others with the channel ability can only channel to harm, never to heal. The exception to this rule are spells that grant Fast Healing (nudges infernal healing) or grant Bonus Temporary HP (looking at you false life, but that's for later). I'd suggest that everyone take a look at the Heal skill, it might be useful...


    Spoiler: The Big Sixteen (Finally, we're all tired of hearing you talk, Celtic)
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

    Pathfinder First Edition

    2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

    The setting is Lifeline, which is described above.

    3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

    Uh, let's keep it in the four-six range, absolutely not fewer or greater than that.

    4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

    OOTS Forums

    5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

    First Level

    6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

    Standard 150, please note that all of your items while staying at the East Imperial Chancery will be stored in heavily guarded lockers

    7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

    All classes are open

    8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

    Only a few races are allowed (again see above), but you can make a case for others

    9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

    Rolling, and not in the normal way. Roll 3d6 seven times, keeping the highest six to arrange in your ability scores. If your total point values don't equal 20 Point Buy, you can spend points to make up the difference. As for HP, we'll be rolling for it at every level, including first.

    10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

    Yes this game uses alignment. There are no restrictions. You're just as likely to find a paladin here as you are an evil necromancer who got caught.

    11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

    Multiclassing in E6 games is hard to pull off, but if you think you can do it, go right ahead.

    12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

    Make your own die rolls please. I may make some in secret though.

    13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

    We'll be using E6, the rules for which can be found here. While we won't need to worry about Epic Feats for a while, some classes are not covered by the core E6 rules. In this case, we can work out which feats you are and aren't eligible for.

    14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

    I'd say a paragraph of why you've been doomed to World's End should be enough of a background. Post more if you feel like it.

    15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

    Probably a mix of all three, but a bit more in the hack and slash range.

    16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

    Besides E6, absolutely no third party content no exceptions. Other than that I think we're set!
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

    Avatar by linklele

    Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    the biggest nerd ever who transforms into BEAR is of course alluring.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Looking for an Action/Horror Campaign (PF 1)

    Quote Originally Posted by Celticbear View Post
    Contains giddy, eldritch horror laughter

    We'll start at level 1, but you can find such information and more in the sixteen / Game Post, which can be found in the spoiler below. I would ask that the originator of this thread please change the name to "E6 Horror Campaign (PF 1e)", the tag to "Looking for Players", and to copy the code for everything that's in the spoiler into the OP

    Spoiler: Lifeline: World's End
    Show


    World's End

    "This is the place where the boogeyman sleeps, or so our mammas told use, aye?" an old, wheezing man laughs beside you as the dark mountains seem to pierce the sky in the distance, a stark contrast to the flat desert you had grown accustomed to.

    "They say no one's been on the other side, that no army large enough has been able to cross, only to contain," the man continues, still laughing and coughing and wheezing.

    "BE SILENT, VAGRANT!" one of captors, riding from behind on high horseback whilst you walk in chains, whips the old main with a crooked barbed wire. The old man shrieks, weeping for some form of solace that no one could ever hope to find in this doomed desert. He drops, never to speak again as the captor rides over him, his horse trampling whatever life he had left.

    World's end. The place where the boogeyman sleeps, or so your mammas told you. Now it's the place where you sleep. Now it's the place where you pray.

    Spoiler: WARNING
    Show
    WARNING!!!

    While this game will not violate any of Giantitp's laws of conduct by mentioning those unmentionable nasty subjects, this game is still a horror game. Your heroes will not be valorous, your heroes will be faced with sanity wrenching threats, and the only reward for your heroes exploits will be to go up the mountain once more, and kill more monsters. This game is gonna be hard on your PCs, and will contain all sorts of themes not suited for the light of heart. Insert Parental Advisory Sticker here :P


    Spoiler: Adventure Background
    Show
    Once, you were citizens of the greatest (and only) Empire the world had ever seen: that of the Lifeline. Named after a three pronged river flowing from a great central lake, this noble society had reached technological heights to that like the beginning of our Industrial Era. However, tribalism and barbarism still plague these lands. Be it from the Shamans of the Bearwood to the Witches of the Firewood, wild tendencies plague the landscape. And then, of course, there's World's End.

    Lifeline, as a continent, has yet to be wholly explored. To the far East, past a great and ceaseless desert, there lies a mountain range which sprawls from the very North to the lowest South of Lifeline called collectively "World's End". It is thought that the first settlers of the land may have come from the other side, but no one really knows what "The Other Side" actually is. Crawling through the mountain are a thousand and one nameless horrors in a million and five different varieties. They are uncountable by mortal numbers, and unfathomable by mortal minds.

    This ceaseless horde of monsters would quickly overrun the rest of the continent were it not for the diligence of the East Imperial Chancery, a bastion against such forces of evil, and the most impregnable fortress ever built by human hands. In the ancient history of the Lifeline, many unnatural hordes have come down the mountain to try and cut a swath through the mortal lands, but every time those of the East Imperial Chancery have fought them back. These fighting men face death and fear and blood every day, and remain an unwavering guardian. At least, that's what the Imperial propaganda would tell you. In reality, very few actually volunteer for positions in the Chancery, and the bulk of their forces are composed of criminals.

    Very few crimes have being sent to World's End as an actual punishment (unregistered magic users, murder, capital thievery), but it always stands as an alternative to thieves who want to keep their fingers, "women of the night" who wish to keep their tongues and ears, or tribesmen who want to keep their freedom. To those who take this punishment willingly, the Justicar determines the amount of time you must serve faithfully to the East Imperial Chancery, but there has never been a case that has been penaltied lower than five years. Abandonment of your new post is treason, punishable by death.

    Whether you are a volunteer, prisoner, or indentured native does not batter. You are all now nameless footsoldiers to be branded with a new name in form of a number on your first day in the East Imperial Chancery. Your mostly silent captors have informed you that your first day will be orientation, followed by a tour of facilities, and finishing with dinner and rest. You will be roused a little after midnight to embark on your first expedition into the mountains. He says that not many sleep on their first night. He says that not many make it past their first night. He says that you deserve this punishment, and laughs at you, his "noble" steed chuffing a bemused agreement. The brass lined towers shine with the last rays of sunlight. The Chancery is in your field of vision now. Gods help you.


    Spoiler: Setting (Allowed Races and a note on Divine Magic
    Show
    Lifeline is not a colorful setting as opposed to Pathfinder's Golarion. As such, it has a few restrictions on what races are available

    ALL CORE RACES AND WHATEVER IS LISTED BELOW ARE ALLOWED
    Skinwalker
    Suli
    Aquatic Elf
    Changeling
    Deep One Hybrid
    Kitsune

    You may notice that all of the above races are not too monstrous looking, and can pass as human in a pinch. This is on purpose, while other races do exist, they're seen as an abomination by the Dogmatic Imperial society you live in. If you make me a good case for a race you want to play, then you are open to do so. However, the races above do not require an argument on your part, and can automatically be selected.

    DIVINE MAGIC

    For Plot Reasons and also to back up with the dark, dismal, oh sweet mama we're all going to die on this mountain vibes, all Cure, Restoration, or any other spell / ability that provides the recovery of HP or Ability Loss is now not allowed for selection. Clerics and others with the channel ability can only channel to harm, never to heal. The exception to this rule are spells that grant Fast Healing (nudges infernal healing) or grant Bonus Temporary HP (looking at you false life, but that's for later). I'd suggest that everyone take a look at the Heal skill, it might be useful...


    Spoiler: The Big Sixteen (Finally, we're all tired of hearing you talk, Celtic)
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

    Pathfinder First Edition

    2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

    The setting is Lifeline, which is described above.

    3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

    Uh, let's keep it in the four-six range, absolutely not fewer or greater than that.

    4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

    OOTS Forums

    5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

    First Level

    6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

    Standard 150, please note that all of your items while staying at the East Imperial Chancery will be stored in heavily guarded lockers

    7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

    All classes are open

    8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

    Only a few races are allowed (again see above), but you can make a case for others

    9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

    Rolling, and not in the normal way. Roll 3d6 seven times, keeping the highest six to arrange in your ability scores. If your total point values don't equal 20 Point Buy, you can spend points to make up the difference. As for HP, we'll be rolling for it at every level, including first.

    10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

    Yes this game uses alignment. There are no restrictions. You're just as likely to find a paladin here as you are an evil necromancer who got caught.

    11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

    Multiclassing in E6 games is hard to pull off, but if you think you can do it, go right ahead.

    12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

    Make your own die rolls please. I may make some in secret though.

    13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

    We'll be using E6, the rules for which can be found here. While we won't need to worry about Epic Feats for a while, some classes are not covered by the core E6 rules. In this case, we can work out which feats you are and aren't eligible for.

    14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

    I'd say a paragraph of why you've been doomed to World's End should be enough of a background. Post more if you feel like it.

    15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

    Probably a mix of all three, but a bit more in the hack and slash range.

    16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

    Besides E6, absolutely no third party content no exceptions. Other than that I think we're set!
    Ah, well, does E6 support Hybrid classes? As I mentioned before My character's signature weapon is a Whip and I had planned on going Mysterious Avenger, which is a Swashbuckler archetype. Of course, I can't get to Whip Mastery until level 3 (a Fighter could get it at level 2, but misses out on some of the seeds that make Swashbuckler a better fit), but Slashing Grace is doable prior to Whip Mastery, as both Weapon Finesse and Whip proficiency are covered by the archetype. Precise strikes help bring a bit more bang for the buck at level 3 (Swashbuckler Deed) and Piranha Strike gives some decent pain as well. That said, I need to figure out back-up until that point.

    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

    He who laughs last doesn't get the joke.

    Spoiler: Stuff I Wrote
    Show
    Elite Races

    Goliaths [Part One, Part Two]
    Axiomite
    Nephilim

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Celticbear's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    R'lyeh
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Looking for an Action/Horror Campaign (PF 1)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bansheexero View Post
    Ah, well, does E6 support Hybrid classes? As I mentioned before My character's signature weapon is a Whip and I had planned on going Mysterious Avenger, which is a Swashbuckler archetype. Of course, I can't get to Whip Mastery until level 3 (a Fighter could get it at level 2, but misses out on some of the seeds that make Swashbuckler a better fit), but Slashing Grace is doable prior to Whip Mastery, as both Weapon Finesse and Whip proficiency are covered by the archetype. Precise strikes help bring a bit more bang for the buck at level 3 (Swashbuckler Deed) and Piranha Strike gives some decent pain as well. That said, I need to figure out back-up until that point.
    We can probably figure something out, though again I'd have to stress that multiclassing in E6 is pretty harsh on your already limited progression
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

    Avatar by linklele

    Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    the biggest nerd ever who transforms into BEAR is of course alluring.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Looking for an Action/Horror Campaign (PF 1)

    Quote Originally Posted by Celticbear View Post
    We can probably figure something out, though again I'd have to stress that multiclassing in E6 is pretty harsh on your already limited progression
    It's not Multiclassing, it is a hybrid class (blending fighter and gunslinger, although without guns save for one or two archetypes, like the Picaroon) with a single progression.

    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

    He who laughs last doesn't get the joke.

    Spoiler: Stuff I Wrote
    Show
    Elite Races

    Goliaths [Part One, Part Two]
    Axiomite
    Nephilim

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: E6 Horror Campaign, Pathfinder 1e

    So, Hopefully I get some decent rolls

    Ability Score Rolls
    (3d6)[13]
    (3d6)[7]
    (3d6)[10]
    (3d6)[15]
    (3d6)[14]
    (3d6)[15]
    (3d6)[10]

    HP Roll
    (1d10)[3]

    Edit- Wow, 3 HP at level 1 is freaking harsh
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2020-03-11 at 05:37 PM.

    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

    He who laughs last doesn't get the joke.

    Spoiler: Stuff I Wrote
    Show
    Elite Races

    Goliaths [Part One, Part Two]
    Axiomite
    Nephilim

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DaOldeWolf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Mexico
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: E6 Horror Campaign, Pathfinder 1e

    (3d6)[4]
    (3d6)[10]
    (3d6)[9]
    (3d6)[13]
    (3d6)[12]
    (3d6)[16]
    (3d6)[14]

    HP Roll
    (1d6)[2]

    Since I usually roll terribly for character creation, I wont try and look surprised.

    Edit: All things considered, this is probably one of the best rolls I have ever gotten. I will just need to make that 9 into a 10 to get the 20 buy point equivalent.

    Even if my HP leaves me as sturdy as wet paper. I suppose its a good thing I want to play a caster.
    Last edited by DaOldeWolf; 2020-03-11 at 07:26 PM.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.

    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    It can also turn into a Star wars debate.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    hannahbbug3's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    In the Clouds
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: E6 Horror Campaign, Pathfinder 1e

    Let me at least see what the dice say.

    (3d6)[10]
    (3d6)[8]
    (3d6)[13]
    (3d6)[11]
    (3d6)[11]
    (3d6)[14]
    (3d6)[16]

    The dice seem to say yes, I should build something. Gave me exactly a 20 point buy with nothing that's really a dump. Will be back for HP when I pick a class.

    EDIT: If we choose a class with an animal companion, do we have our companion with us from the start?
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2020-03-11 at 06:47 PM.
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

    If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

    -Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Dixie
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: E6 Horror Campaign, Pathfinder 1e

    Gonna roll some ability scores (holding off on hit die until I see what class I wanna go with)

    (3d6)[12]
    (3d6)[12]
    (3d6)[13]
    (3d6)[13]
    (3d6)[10]
    (3d6)[15]
    (3d6)[3]

    So, the character I was initially thinking of used a race which isn't on the list. The concept was a dhampir inquisitor, focused on killing vampires--her mother was taken by a vampire (resulting in her), and focused around hunting down said vampires while fighting the more vampiric urges she gets. If that concept's a bit far outside what you think would work, that's fine--it was a heavily vampire-themed game I originally made the character for, so it'd be a bit of a looser fit anyway.

    EDIT: whooo, that 3! I am very glad we're dropping a roll! Overall a good set, 17 point buy (I was surprised, figured that would be a bit over). I'll see what I want to bump up once I get a class nailed down.
    Last edited by rs2excelsior; 2020-03-11 at 06:54 PM.
    A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

    Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Nishai's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    In a house, EST

    Default Re: E6 Horror Campaign, Pathfinder 1e

    Alright I am interested in this one lets see what the dice gods give me.

    (3d6)[9]
    (3d6)[10]
    (3d6)[11]
    (3d6)[5]
    (3d6)[9]
    (3d6)[5]
    (3d6)[7]

    What?T he point buy calculators don't even go low enough to count a 5. Oh my god.
    Last edited by Nishai; 2020-03-11 at 06:56 PM.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DaOldeWolf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Mexico
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: E6 Horror Campaign, Pathfinder 1e

    Quote Originally Posted by Nishai View Post
    Alright I am interested in this one lets see what the dice gods give me.

    [roll0]
    [roll1]
    [roll2]
    [roll3]
    [roll4]
    [roll5]
    [roll6]

    What?T he point buy calculators don't even go low enough to count a 5. Oh my god.
    The good news is that:

    Quote Originally Posted by Celticbear View Post
    If your total point values don't equal 20 Point Buy, you can spend points to make up the difference.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.

    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    It can also turn into a Star wars debate.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Nishai's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    In a house, EST

    Default Re: E6 Horror Campaign, Pathfinder 1e

    @daoldwolfe You are correct and if I did my math right I have a 33 point buy to fix that and make it a 20 point buy.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Dixie
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: E6 Horror Campaign, Pathfinder 1e

    Yeah, with that set you're basically just doing 20 point buy normally. The dice gods giveth, and the dice gods taketh away...
    A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

    Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Celticbear's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    R'lyeh
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: E6 Horror Campaign, Pathfinder 1e

    Quote Originally Posted by rs2excelsior View Post
    So, the character I was initially thinking of used a race which isn't on the list. The concept was a dhampir inquisitor, focused on killing vampires--her mother was taken by a vampire (resulting in her), and focused around hunting down said vampires while fighting the more vampiric urges she gets. If that concept's a bit far outside what you think would work, that's fine--it was a heavily vampire-themed game I originally made the character for, so it'd be a bit of a looser fit anyway.
    Seeing as my predilection is to maintain that races be contained to human looking half breeds, I see no reason why you can't be a dhampir. I'm kinda wondering why past celtic didn't put in the list, stupid past celtic.

    As for animal companions, they'll be treated like your belongings. They'll be locked away save for treks up the mountain. Unless you have some way to summon them, and keep them secret, that may lead to problems to spellcasters who rely on their birds to act as spellbooks.
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

    Avatar by linklele

    Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    the biggest nerd ever who transforms into BEAR is of course alluring.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DaOldeWolf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Mexico
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: E6 Horror Campaign, Pathfinder 1e

    Quote Originally Posted by Celticbear View Post
    Seeing as my predilection is to maintain that races be contained to human looking half breeds, I see no reason why you can't be a dhampir. I'm kinda wondering why past celtic didn't put in the list, stupid past celtic.

    As for animal companions, they'll be treated like your belongings. They'll be locked away save for treks up the mountain. Unless you have some way to summon them, and keep them secret, that may lead to problems to spellcasters who rely on their birds to act as spellbooks.
    So, what was the decision on hybrid classes? Are they accepted?
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.

    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    It can also turn into a Star wars debate.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Celticbear's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    R'lyeh
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: E6 Horror Campaign, Pathfinder 1e

    Quote Originally Posted by DaOldeWolf View Post
    So, what was the decision on hybrid classes? Are they accepted?
    Ah, my apologies, yes, Hybrid classes are a-okay, it's just like with any of the other non core classes there may be complications later.
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

    Avatar by linklele

    Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    the biggest nerd ever who transforms into BEAR is of course alluring.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    hannahbbug3's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    In the Clouds
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: E6 Horror Campaign, Pathfinder 1e

    Quote Originally Posted by Celticbear View Post
    I'm kinda wondering why past celtic didn't put in the list, stupid past celtic.

    As for animal companions, they'll be treated like your belongings. They'll be locked away save for treks up the mountain. Unless you have some way to summon them, and keep them secret, that may lead to problems to spellcasters who rely on their birds to act as spellbooks.
    Am I sensing a CallMeKevin fan?

    And I think I've found a way to have a friend along. I'm going to be building a spiritualist with the totem spirit archetype. How do you want to handle HP for the companion? RAW they take average at every level, but also RAW PCs get full HP at first level and that's already been changed.

    Speaking of!

    HP - (1d8)[3]

    HP for Companion if needed - (1d8)[5]
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

    If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

    -Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    hannahbbug3's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    In the Clouds
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: E6 Horror Campaign, Pathfinder 1e

    And just realized my companion has two HD at first level, so here we go again!

    (1d8)[7]
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

    If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

    -Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    The middle of the earth.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: E6 Horror Campaign, Pathfinder 1e

    I'm always interested in some horror themed fun, and this seems like it could be challenging.

    I'm thinking that a Dwarf Invulnerable Rager Barbarian might be a decent choice given the tough times ahead.

    (3d6)[7]
    (3d6)[5]
    (3d6)[11]
    (3d6)[9]
    (3d6)[9]
    (3d6)[14]
    (3d6)[6]

    HP: (1d12)[1]

    Edit: wow, those are hideous stats, so that's just a 20 point buy. Of course I would roll 1 hp... any chance of getting a re-roll on my D TWELVE with that 1? I mean, rolling 1 hit point on a frontliner character sucks, but rolling a 1 as the foundation of my hit points is just literally crippling. A shame to not get to play from shanking a single roll during character creation.
    Last edited by Tevin; 2020-03-11 at 09:04 PM.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Celticbear's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    R'lyeh
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: E6 Horror Campaign, Pathfinder 1e

    Quote Originally Posted by Tevin View Post
    Edit: wow, those are hideous stats, so that's just a 20 point buy. Of course I would roll 1 hp... any chance of getting a re-roll on my D TWELVE with that 1? I mean, rolling 1 hit point on a frontliner character sucks, but rolling a 1 as the foundation of my hit points is just literally crippling. A shame to not get to play from shanking a single roll during character creation.
    Alright, because literally everyone is rolling bad HP, if you roll lower than half HP, then increase your HP to half.
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

    Avatar by linklele

    Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    the biggest nerd ever who transforms into BEAR is of course alluring.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •