New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ragnar's Vault

1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Ragnar's Vault

With something resembling a battlecry from the insane kobold, the ambush is launched!

Karsten breathes a prayer and opens with an impressive volley against one of the two large elementals, all of the attacks striking true. One after another they punch through the core of the elemental and split its very heart open, a scream dying to the winds as the elemental dissolves into wisps of flame.

The hunter launches forward at the other large elemental on his griffon. Orsleff's lance catches the creature of flame by surprise, tearing a gouge into his side and nearly rending an arm clean off. His faithful steed rallies under him, his attacks landing but barely making an impact on this partially-insubstantial creature.

The elemental dodges out of the way of Paranomasia's bolt of thunder, but still takes some damage from it, and can't dodge the magic missiles! When it turns to lay a hand on the griffon, the already hurting creature of fire lets out a scream of its own as its hand freezes solid from the connection. The cold runs up his arm, flames flickering out as it goes until the elemental dissolves in a flurry of snow and ash.

Celebration is short lived, as a small pack of wardog-looking fire elementals rush at the group with surprising speed! Two of them leap up onto the rooftop that the group is positioned on, a third attempts to join and fails, while the other three circle the building for the moment.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Given that the shortest range of all your declared actions so far is Comet's partial charge, I'll place your starting distance at the max allowed for that action: 40ft to the closer of the big guys. This means about 70ft to the further, and I'll mark that as the one that Karsten attacked for what should now be obvious reasons. (Had I realized you guys were gonna be getting that close, I would have placed further emphasis on the stealth checks. Ah well, next time.)

Both huge elementals are dead. There are six wardog elementals. Currently, I have the following mental image of the battlefield (not having a map for this lol... there'll be maps later): Orsleff and Comet in the air, out of the reach of the wardogs just barely, getting passed by; and the rest of the group some 50-60 ft back by now, taking advantage of a rooftop for elevation, since the rest of you are all significant range or declared to be hanging back. Unfortunately, the wardogs have closed that distance since they move 60ft per round.
    If you need me for anything, or I forgot about something, PM me and I'll see it.
    Undead- er, undying gratitude to linklele for the avatar.
    Quote Originally Posted by frogglesmash View Post
    I guess I'll amend my original statement and instead say that Pathfinder is close enough to 3.5 to spark an argument about how close it actually is.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Firbolg in the Playground

AssassinGuy

BARD tries to discern these war-dogs elementals with his past knowledge.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Knowledge (Planes): (1d20+6)[24]

Last edited by Yas392; 2020-03-27 at 10:04 PM.

3. - Top - End - #63

They appear to be simple elementals, probably a bit weaker in strength and defense as the other guys so they should drop easier.
    If you need me for anything, or I forgot about something, PM me and I'll see it.
    I guess I'll amend my original statement and instead say that Pathfinder is close enough to 3.5 to spark an argument about how close it actually is.

4. - Top - End - #64

AssassinGuy

BARD leans forward to see the emberlings.

"These aren't as strong as those one we put down or even unique. I'll see what you people are doing before I make my move. If you want any suggestions or options from me, ask away."

The half-orcs shrugs. RAVEN watching his master, nestled within a nearby tree and loitering unless provoke by fire in which it will then hop to another tree.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2020-03-28 at 04:51 AM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

Karsten stood his ground and let loose another volley at the wardogs that made it onto the roof.

Spoiler
    Show

Full Attack, same as before.

First Iterative: (1d20+24)[26]
    Damage: (1d8+21)[25]
    Manyshot Damage: (1d8+21)[23]

Blessing of Fervor: (1d20+24)[26]
    Damage: (1d8+21)[28]

Rapid Shot: (1d20+24)[32]
    Damage: (1d8+21)[29]

Second Iterative: (1d20+19)[22]
    Damage: (1d8+21)[29]

Improved Rapid Shot: (1d20+19)[34]
    Damage: (1d8+21)[22]

Greater Rapid Shot: (1d20+14)[34]
    Damage: (1d8+21)[27]

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Orleff Hamill
    AC 27, Touch 13, FF 25, CMD 27|Fort +12 Ref +12 Will +9|HP: 110/110

Orsleff and Comet turn to chase down one of the smaller elementals.
    Comet
    AC 34 (-2 charge -2 lunge), Touch 13, FF 30, CMD 29|Fort +11 Ref +11 Will +4 (+4 vs Enchantment)|HP: 85/85

Spoiler: Attacks
    Show

Charge - once more, with Power Attack this time, and the teamwork feats.
    Orsleff takes +2 to hit and AC from the blessing
    Comet takes an additional attack
    Orsleff & Comet are always flanking against large or medium creatures - these are large, right? If not, all attack rolls are at -4.
    Lance - attack - (1d20+22)[34], damage - (3d8+42)[53]
    Bite attack - (1d20+21)[24], damage - (1d6+15)[21]
    second bite attack - (1d20+21)[22], damage - (1d6+15)[20]
    claw attack - (1d20+21)[33], damage - (1d6+15)[17]
    claw attack - (1d20+21)[27], damage - (1d6+15)[17]
    rake attack - (1d20+21)[40], damage - (1d6+15)[21]
    rake attack - (1d20+21)[29], damage - (1d6+15)[17] - If this attack hits, bull rush [roll]+21[/roll] - if that beats CMD by 10, trip (1d20+21)[35]

Melee attacks against Comet do 6d4 cold damage to the attacker.
    Semper ludens.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

"Ack!" cried the kobold, "When I take over this land, we shall enact proper locations that dogs can't jump onto! You there! DIE!" He moves with the grace of a dancer away the canine, small bells chiming at every foot step.. and suddenly there was another earth shattering kaboom!

Spoiler: Mechnaics
    Show

Dance is my best perform skill.
    (5d10)[29] another sonic boom on a dog.

Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

8. - Top - End - #68

AssassinGuy

"Hack and slash it is."

BARD again swings his staff, hurling unmissable bolts at the dogs, prioritizing the one that is very wounded but not finished. He hopes that the bolts will do the job, putting the final nail in the coffin.

Show

Magic Missile: (2d4+2)[9]

He will take the +2 ATK/AC/REFLEXES option from blessing this round.

Current AC: 22

Last edited by Yas392; 2020-03-29 at 09:35 AM.

9. - Top - End - #69

Taking a half-step back to gain some distance, Karsten keeps up his rapid-fire assault as the wardog elementals leap up onto the roof. He manages a solid hit on one, dispersing it, then turns his attention to another and manages to finish it off right before it leaps at his face.

Comet charges another, demolishing it into wisps of flame, while Orsleff catches a fourth with his lance, almost taking it down in one hit. Right as it rears up to strike, a bolt of force hits it from behind and it collapses.

Of the two remaining, one gets smacked with self-righteous lightning from above, and they both turn tail to run in another direction.

10. - Top - End - #70

AssassinGuy

Seeing the remaining dogs escaping, he twirls his staff as if to charge up something.

"Oh no, you don't."

BARD then stops and points to the fleeing bunch, targeting the most damaged one between the two with yet another volley of force bolts.

Show

Magic Missile: (2d4+2)[6]

He will take the +2 ATK/AC/REFLEXES option from blessing this round.

Current AC: 22

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

Karsten shot another volley of arrows at the fleeing elementals. Better that they didn't escape to cause havoc somewhere else.

Spoiler
    Show

First Iterative: (1d20+24)[44]
    Manyshot Damage: (1d8+21)[27]

Blessing of Fervor: (1d20+24)[28]

Rapid Shot: (1d20+24)[43]
    Damage: (1d8+21)[22]

Second Iterative: (1d20+19)[35]]
    Damage: (1d8+21)[26]

Improved Rapid Shot: (1d20+19)[24]
    Damage: (1d8+21)[25]

Greater Rapid Shot: (1d20+14)[28]
    Damage: (1d8+21)[26]

12. - Top - End - #72

The archer and the bard keep their cool, and long before the fleeing pair of elementals are out of range (despite how fast they move), they have been downed.

The group stands on the outskirts of the village. Fires are getting closer, and townsfolk are doing what they can to protect their homes. For a moment, the area around the group is quiet.
    Last edited by The Kool; 2020-04-01 at 08:37 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

"I'm getting back to work on the fires. Keep an eye out for more elementals, or those Kobolds. They might have turned out to be small fry, but we can't have those little arsonists running free in the woods."

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

Orleff Hamill

Orsleff and Comet try to beat out and smother some of the fires. Neither of them are afected by the flames. They also keep an eye out for any more hostile action, or people who need to be rescued.
    Semper ludens.

15. - Top - End - #75

AssassinGuy

"No time for celebration. This is just the first wave."

BARD again takes out his decanter with one hand after freeing it from the staff. He commands water to spring in "fountain" level to put out the fires as he maintains a straight stance and a slight bend head. To spectators, he looks like someone watering a plant except he is doing it to the spreading embers. He is ready to command the decanter to stop and stow it away in his haversack if new enemies are in sight. RAVEN watches his master as always not moving from his untouched tree unless provoked by flames and enemies.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2020-04-03 at 09:22 AM.

16. - Top - End - #76

After taking a moment to breathe and recollect themselves, the group is keeping a close eye on their surroundings. Unexpectedly, the next creature to approach them is an old man from the village. He comes bustling up with surprising gusto for a beard as white as his, worn tunic rippling in the wind of his passing. "Excuse me, saviors! I could use your aid!"

He calms down slightly upon reaching the group, taking a few deep breaths and shuffling the scrolls and journals in his arms to pull out one in particular. "These beasts of flame... They are not from this realm! They are from the plane of pure fire, and something has called them here. This mountain bears an ancient connection to the plane of fire, and I suspect that Ragnar, the mad inhabitant of this mountain, has awoken it once again." As if on cue, the ground shakes and a plume of smoke rises from the mountaintop, lit from below by an orange glow. "I need no longer suspect," he says in awe as a scroll tumbles from his arms. "I have spent my life studying this land and its history and connections, but I did not expect to see it play out before my with my own eyes..."

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

"What an unfathomable fiend that wrot fire upon the land! " the kobold says shaking his fist in the air. "Does he not know who the true ruler of this land will be?!... Once I figure out what to do after taking over the world." the last part he mutters to himself. The villains of stories rarely ever think their choices through, but not Paranomasia! He was after all a supervillain! "Who is this Ragnar and why did you build a village near him?!"

18. - Top - End - #78

AssassinGuy

BARD looks at Paranomasia.

"He is a dragon as the kobolds told us, my young protege. A massive dragon if overlord is an indication of their size and ego. And a good question."

The half-orc taps the ground with his staff three precise times.

"Why would anyone build a village near an ancient portal to the plane of fire? Safeguarding duties? Benefits? Tradition? Curiosity? The first three I can get. The fourth madness. I would not be surprised if someone built this village out of sheer coincidence or a fiery planar being from the other side founded this village before the portal gets closed. So my good elder, care to tell us the history behind this?"
    Last edited by Yas392; 2020-04-05 at 05:07 AM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

"Maybe someone found a hot spring," Karsten suggested wryly.

20. - Top - End - #80

"The village grew here during a time of peace after the portal had already been sealed." The old man gives a weary sigh. "Most never knew about the portal, and I figured it was best not to tell them. As long as it remained asleep. I had hoped the dragon moved on..."

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

"This is why heroes are always in short supply, forgetting portals till people die. Course villains none to wise thought to control the power that brings their demise." he hums, pausing. "But dragons? Why does it have to be dragons? Stupid pompus arrogant jerks the whole lot of them! Parading around in the dungeons.. Though I've never seen a dragon in a dungeon. Usually its more of a cave system. Next you'd tell me the is ogres in the obsoletes and trolls in the bathroom! Wait.. no, Towers. Trolls in the Towers."

He points at the old man, "Let it be known that I, Paranomasia will take over this village.. and probably appoint who ever is already leader to run it however they see fit... And If I have to utterly obliterate this.. This.. Ragnar, I shall do it! So keep those fires put out and the people safe, I want there to be a village with people, living ones here to take over when I get back or I might just have to go to the underworld and drag you all from its pits to live on this land again. And that will be very expensive to do!" He begins muttering to himself, "Could I even find a way to get to the underworld? Sure there is raise dead.. but that is so expensive.. so much diamond dust.. Well if I did a diamond dust racket, i could work at increasing the price..."
    Last edited by Triskavanski; 2020-04-05 at 01:44 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

Karsten shot the Kobold another dirty look, but decided to leave him to his grandiose delusion for now. "Where is this portal? And how do we go about closing it? Preferably for good, this time."

23. - Top - End - #83

AssassinGuy

BARD facepalms the elder's answer.

"Bah, coincidence. Oh no, no, no, no, that would not do as great of a tale."

The genteel half-orc shakes his head ad nauseum. He turns to the mountain as the top erupts fire again from whatever opening ritual that mad dragon has enact. He smiles at the rising smoke.

"Now that is a story to behold."
    Last edited by Yas392; 2020-04-07 at 01:30 AM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

Orleff Hamill

"Portals?" is all Orsleff says. He closes his eyes and rubs his face with a weary sigh.
    Semper ludens.

25. - Top - End - #85

"Portals. Yes. ...but! There is good news!" He fumbles with his stack of papers, drawing one forth and holding it up in trembling fingers. On the page was the sketch of a ring, inscriptions and notes on and around it. "There is an artifact, one of great power of beings of flame. With the artifact, and the right rituals, I can send these creatures back where they came from and seal the portal again! It has been done before, and I have the records of it and have been studying this. If you can bring me the ring, I can end this all!" He grins manically. "Will you help?"
    Last edited by The Kool; 2020-04-07 at 07:43 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86

AssassinGuy

BARD smiles as the old man narrates this artifact that can close the portals. His grin at the end unnerves the half-orc thereby causing the BARD to gauge his intentions while remaining nonchalant and relaxed.

"So you want us to retrieve the ring for you from the heart of the mountain where Ragnar lays waiting, correct?"

Show

Sense Motive (using perform (oratory) check in place of usual bonus) to detect lies and ulterior motives of the old man: (1d20+20)[40]

Last edited by Yas392; 2020-04-07 at 09:01 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

For the moment, for once, the kobold is suddenly quiet. He narrows his eyes looking at the old man, frowning slightly. "How very convenient." Paranomasia finally mutters to himself, growing suddenly rather suspicious of the old man. Evil always triumphs because good is stupid, most would be heroes would ignore the signs, like goatees and names like Doctor Insano or Mcmurderbath, but not the super-villain kobold. Then again, he looks around at the other heroes and BARD, perhaps it would be a good learning experience for them? After all it was often the job for the arch-rival to taught and tease the heroes until the inevitable team up in the final book where they had to take on the biggest foe they've ever faced, like creatures from the stars above or some sort of evil from the depths below.

Show

(1d20+27)[40] my own sense motive using oratory. Though Paranomasia believes there is a hidden evil within this mans words, cause its what he'd do. Well almost. Can't trust using some ancient relic of power to summon an unspeakable force of evil.. Never is quite under the villains control.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

Karsten was struck by the suspicion that the old man suddenly seemed a little too eager.

Spoiler
    Show

Sense Motive: (1d20+20)[31]

29. - Top - End - #89

The man pauses, taken aback by the half-orc getting a bit ahead of him. "Er... yes. It would be too easy if it were elsewhere, would it not? The good news is, my divinations have revealed the location of the artifact. The bad news is that the dragon seems to have discovered it first, and secured it in his mountain. It makes sense... it would be folly to make your move while the artifact that is your weakness is unaccounted for."

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

"All right." Karsten was willing to go along, for now. "How do we get to it?"