New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default The Sword of Roses (IC)

The Sword of Roses

"It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

Spring came early this year, which meant plentiful game awakening from their hibernation. It also meant the humanoid races of the land would be traveling their roads again to hunt, trade, and generally cause their mischief. That was what Chenizir always thought of the humanoid races; mischief. They were never content to themselves. They warred among themselves over land and resources, and generally bringing down the property values of the local forest neighborhoods.

However, there was one particular breed of humanoid that was the worst of all-- the "Adventurer". They kill, steal, and cause trouble for the right price. Or the wrong price. They were the fooling kind that traversed across the lands to delve into a dragon's lair in pursuit of riches and fame. Today was sadly another one of those days for Chenizir.

The elder blue adult dragon laid upon his hoard. Gold and silver coins scooped up and pressed against a wound on his side. The cold touch of metal eased the pain. It wasn't a serious injury, but to attack a dragon and rob them of even one copper piece was a serious injury to many a dragon's ego.

The elder dragon summoned his three children to him. He sat up and addressed them with the air of seriousness.

"My progeny, this day a group of humanoids have dared enter my lair. I fought them off, but not before they escaped with a small portion of my hoard. The coins and jewelry are of no consequence, but I wish to have retrieved four magical items they have stolen. My wound would slow me down, so I charge you three to spread across the land and locate them for me. I trust you all can prepare for this quest?"

Morlun, a midnight blue dragon of great pride, puffed out his chest. "I shall succeed at your task, father!"

Spiriah, by contrast, was willing to agree, but she wasn't sure if she should speak out of turn or not, so he erred on the side of caution and waited her turn.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Sword of Roses (IC)

Chaarix is in the middle of a bath when she receives the summons. One of her father's messengers delivers it, calling her the short way back to the place of her birth. It rankled her a little. Even though she was still young, she had worked, in her mind, harder than anyone to expand beyond her father's claws and overbearing nature. She had moved as far away as he would let her, establishing her own home in a small cave a little ways off from his. Still, she was in no position to refuse such a direct request. And she was very glad she didn't!

She hadn't know it was possible TO wound the great wyrm! That a group of the tiny humanoids had done so leaves her in a slight state of shock. This opened up a few possibilities the likes of which she had only dreamed. Succeed here and defeat them where Chenizir had failed, and, well, the future was full of opportunity. Still, if these humanoids could not be underestimated. They clearly possessed the means to wound a dragon far older and with much tougher scales than hers. Already, the beginnings of plots and plans began to play through her mind. Not necessarily good ones, but plots nonetheless. But first, she had to officially accept this quest.

Seeking to avoid mere parroting of Morlun's words, Chaarix replies, "Their names and their deeds will be remembered only as tales of woe and caution told by the two-legged races."

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Miltonian View Post
    Seeking to avoid mere parroting of Morlun's words, Chaarix replies, "Their names and their deeds will be remembered only as tales of woe and caution told by the two-legged races."
    "I will help find your stolen items as well," Spiriah then spoke up.

Morlun let out a snort. A thin trail of smoke emanated from his nostrils. "Have you wymlings ever dealt with the likes of humans? Elves? Do you know what a dwarf even is?" he asked in a stern tone. Morlun wasn't mean. However, as the oldest and only male of the siblings, he was protective of his younger sisters, and quick to scold when they had foolish ideas. Spiriah in particular.

She took a step back from the question. "I... I know what a dwarf is," she mumbled with a frown.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

4. - Top - End - #4

Chaarix, however, takes a step forward, towards Morlun. Static crackles around her mouth and in between her teeth. "I have," she says, though does not mention that she probably couldn't tell the difference between them unless they stood side by side. And maybe not even then. "The few that traveled too near to me soon learned the error of their ways."

She says this to impress Chenizir. The truth of it was that she preferred driving them away to killing them. The awe and terror she inspired were exhilarated. Although, there was that one time she had been challenged to a 'riddle game', with the life of the girl (or was it a boy? They looked similar) on the line. Chaarix had lost the game, but gained a number of delightful puzzles.

5. - Top - End - #5

Chaarix, however, takes a step forward, towards Morlun. Static crackles around her mouth and in between her teeth. "I have," she says, though does not mention that she probably couldn't tell the difference between them unless they stood side by side. And maybe not even then. "The few that traveled too near to me soon learned the error of their ways."
    Morlun snorted again, but did not counter Chaarix's argument. "Their numbers are their greatest danger."

"Be at peace, Morlun," Chenizir spoke up. "The humanoids you seek are injured, so they will be weak for a time. However, they have several hours time a head start. Your quarry are two humans skilled in burglary, an elf trained in magic, and a dwarf of martial prowess. The elf bore markings upon their face I recognize from the northern lands and the dwarf the heraldry of a griffon. As of the two humans, I remember the salty scent of the sea upon their clothes."

Spiriah raised her head at hearing the description of a salty scent. "The ocean to the east?"

"And of your riches they stole?" Morlun asked. "There are four items, are there?"

"Yes," Chenizir answered. "A shield made of polished silver with perfect reflection, a sword with the hilt of a red rose, a crown of jade with sapphires that glow ghostly blue, and a cloak of moss with the scent of the fey. In the wrong hands, these items are dangerous. Each one had participated in the Lion's War."

Morlun narrowed his eyes at that. Spiriah by contrast tilted her head.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

6. - Top - End - #6

Chaarix is swiftly regretting her lifestyle of idle hunting and riddle-games. There was an ocean to the east? How far? She did not know. And furthermore, she had no clue what this 'Lion's War' was. However, she tried to give no outward sign, but the subtle change in posture and moment of hesitation would make it easy enough for someone who knew her well to tell.

In other words, Chenizir and Morlun can read her like a book. Spiriah too, if she is paying attention.

"And we can ensure that it won't matter, if we can catch them before they have time to learn how to use them properly," she says, "We should move swiftly. Find them before they can move too far and have a chance to rest. Which way did they go?"

7. - Top - End - #7

Chenizir nodded sagely with Chaarix's statement. "Time is of the essence; each day is another they will have traveled. I do not know if they understand the workings of the items as of yet. As for what direction, I can only surmise they scattered to the four winds. There is a magic that the elf used to prevent my scry spells from locating them. However, I etch a rune in every item I own. A rune only dragons can sense, and only when they are looking for it. The sword and shield went north, the cloak east, and the crown south. This is not a burden I wished to bestow, but it is important that these items are returned."

"It is no burden, but an honor!" Morlun stated. He turned to his siblings. "I shall track the sword and shield down. You two should each seek one item. If we split up we will not be noticed and can procure these items quickly."

Chenizir spoke up. "Trust in one another, and be wary. Humans in particular are crafty creatures. Although you are dragon, the races of humanoids are dangerous in numbers. Their knowledge and magic can prove adversarial." Chenizir laid down to rest on his hoard. "My construct servants can provide you with amenities before you go."

He waved a claw at the stone wall of his cave. Three nodules of stone budded and took the form of diminutive humanoid shapes. The forms bow before the dragons, awaiting orders.
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2020-03-09 at 05:53 PM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

8. - Top - End - #8

Trust in each other? Hmm. That could only go well. And would certainly end with Morlun taking most of the credit. On the other claw, Spiriah could be useful and was far less likely to put Chaarix down in order to advance her own position and goals.

...Actually, of them all, Chaarix was the most likely to do so. Morlun preferred compliance, sometimes even demanded it. And Spiriah was very concerned with acting properly that, though the idea might occur to her, it would take some doing to prompt her to act upon it.

"The crown shall be my task, then," she declares, "Since Spiriah seems to have a fondness for the ocean, it seems only fair that she be the one to pursue that avenue."

Once dismissed, she turns towards the conjured servants, eyes narrow. "So then," she says, "What can you provide me that I would actually need..."
    Last edited by Miltonian; 2020-03-09 at 10:29 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

"The crown shall be my task, then," she declares, "Since Spiriah seems to have a fondness for the ocean, it seems only fair that she be the one to pursue that avenue."

Once dismissed, she turns towards the conjured servants, eyes narrow. "So then," she says, "What can you provide me that I would actually need..."
    Morlun left the caverns without fanfare. He spread his wings and flew off in the direction of his own lair.

The stone servants shambled about in different directions. The first returned with meat on a large platter. About enough food to constitute a decent snack. The second and third returned with a wash basin, soap, and wooden scrub brushes. The basin was sized for a human, but the servants appeared not to see that as an issue.

Spiriah approached Chaarix and looked between her and the servants. "Can I talk to you in... you... you want a bath now?" she asked.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

10. - Top - End - #10

Chaarix stares at the bath with a mixture of surprise and growing annoyance. "Very funny. Hilarious," she says to the golems, "I am laughing on the inside. Can't you tell? Maybe you should look closer."

She turns to Spiriah, a little heated. "No. It appears these things have grown a sense of humor. Suddenly," she says, "And very unwelcomely, might I add."

She eyes the meat for a moment, but only a moment, before reaching down and gobbling it up. Never turn down a free meal. Chewing quickly and swallowing, she says, "Talk in private. Right. Lead the way. I'll follow."

11. - Top - End - #11

Chaarix stares at the bath with a mixture of surprise and growing annoyance. "Very funny. Hilarious," she says to the golems, "I am laughing on the inside. Can't you tell? Maybe you should look closer."
    The stone constructs do not react, but remained at attention, steady as a rock.

She turns to Spiriah, a little heated. "No. It appears these things have grown a sense of humor. Suddenly," she says, "And very unwelcomely, might I add."

She eyes the meat for a moment, but only a moment, before reaching down and gobbling it up. Never turn down a free meal. Chewing quickly and swallowing, she says, "Talk in private. Right. Lead the way. I'll follow."
    Spiriah gave the things an inquisitive look. "I don't think they know humor?" She shrugged.

The youngest sibling led the way down a side tunnel into another chamber. Chaarix might have remembered this was once used as a nursery for the three at various times. Now it appeared to have little inside but a pile of old furnishings that their father no longer used, yet kept anyway. Spiriah sat down and let out a slow sigh.

"East lies a great human city by the sea; with giant ships that sail across it, carried on the winds. They're... fascinating things to watch." Spiriah paused. She seemed embarrassed for a moment. "No, I never actually been on a ship. Not yet..."

"I have maps from the surrounding realms. To the south lies swampland, dotted with little human villages. Beyond that there is a great shallow lake with a large elven city. So... you might be tracking the elf that attacked out father."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

12. - Top - End - #12

Chaarix is all too happy to leave the golems behind. She does make a note to dive into a lake on her way out, though.

She seats herself on the edge of the room, leaning against the wall and making herself comfortable. She is a little too big to sit in her old perch, after all. And, barring some serious magic, she will never be that small again. A faint twinge of something akin to nostalgia tugs at her heart, but she quashes the feeling for now. There are more important things.

Though she pays careful attention to Spiriah's explanation, she tries to look a little bored by it, as if this is all information that she knew. "Of course...a ship," she repeats, "Well, if it would make you happy..."

She nods. "I probably should look at those maps, if you are willing."

13. - Top - End - #13

Though she pays careful attention to Spiriah's explanation, she tries to look a little bored by it, as if this is all information that she knew. "Of course...a ship," she repeats, "Well, if it would make you happy..."

She nods. "I probably should look at those maps, if you are willing."
    "Happy... well, not if father ever saw me gallumphing with humans. That's a funny word they use. 'Gallumphing'. I don't know what it means but the sailors use it a lot when they return from fishing and gather together in big buildings."

Spiriah looked around as if she checked to see if anyone was listening. She drew closer. "I have them in my place. I can show you the maps, but you have to promise never to discuss what else is in my lair. Ok?"
    Digo Dragon - Artist

14. - Top - End - #14

"Gah-lumf-fing," Chaarix repeats, sounding out each syllable with a slightly incredulous tone. It is a little awkward to get her mouth around, but she manages it. She frowns. Spiriah sure did know a lot about these humans. "Interesting..."

She rouses herself from her internal meditations and leans in conspiratorially. "Seems only fair," she says in agreement, "I will keep your secret, whatever they might be."

A smarter person might have seen the dangers of open-ended promises like that, promises which are too easily abused. Of course, Chaarix, for all her pride, is not as smart as she thinks she is.

15. - Top - End - #15

"Okay, then if you will follow me?" Spiriah leaves the room and leads the way upwards through the long, spiraling warren of rooms to the top of their father's lair. It was the path most difficult for a non-flyer to use, and thus, less riddled with traps. As the exited the cave, Spiriah unfurled her wings and stretched first. Then, she took off into the sky towards the east.

She swayed on her path to use clouds as cover from the surface below. It was dense with forests and mountains, but Spiriah was very cautious thanks to all the drilling Morlun did to plant a healthy amount of fear into her. It helped that her scales were a very light blue.

The flight took about an hour. Spiriah didn't move far from her father's lair, and maybe that was beneficial in this case where time was short. She spiraled down and landed on a hilly landscape covered in trees. A large lake adorned the hillside, rolling downwards at a steady pace.

"This way," she whispered. "Um... hold your breath." The young dragon dove into the water and through a cave just beneath the surface. It curved back upwards into a homely cave that allowed a young dragon to live... "cozily".

She shook off the water and the rolled herself onto a large pile of finely-cut furs and woven rugs. Chaarix could tell were all crafted by humans.

"Go on, dry yourself off on them," Spiriah said, rolling off them to let her older sister try.

Did Chaarix dare try?
    Digo Dragon - Artist

16. - Top - End - #16

Chaarix flies along behind Spiriah quietly, lost in her own thoughts. The elf was the wizard, right? Yeah, that's what she thought she heard anyway. Magic was a powerful force, and one she knew little of beyond her natural sensitivity to it. So powerful that, if it could be bent to her will... Well, wasn't that an interesting thought?

"Holding breath," Chaarix quips and dives in. She stays right on Spiriah's tail, not wanting to get lost in here. She emerges from her impromptu bath and shakes slightly upon exit. However, Spiriah's request shall not be ignored. At least not one so minor as this. She sidles over and plops down, rolling on her back and and trying to dry off.

17. - Top - End - #17

The collection of furs and rugs seem to uncharacteristically absorb the moisture with wondrous speed.

Spiriah seems pleased. "Let me find the map for you!" she chirps, and shuffles cautiously through the small passage into the next room. With only a casual observance, Chaarix can see that Spiriah has been collecting human things. There's a collection of fine pottery jars in one corner, most with lids secure on top (what may be inside them is unknown without lifting the lid).

"I found them. Come here!"

The next room has a large makeshift table made of wooden planks and metal clamps. A collection of maps Spiriah has made rest on top, along with journal entries she has written and a few books. On the far side of the room is a modest pile of treasure. Above that two shelves with bottles. In each bottle is a miniature model of a human ship.

Spiriah unfurls the map all the way. "If you're going south, you'll want to avoid human villages. They get easily spooked by dragons. I marked all the ones I've seen here. There aren't many. Though, um, if the one carrying the crown is really injured, they might stop at one of those villages to rest."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

18. - Top - End - #18

It is good to keep potential allies happy. The strange, absorbent qualities of the furs are, however, a question she will have to solve later. She leaves them where they lie and follows Spiriah.

"Mm-hmm," she says, studying the maps and attempting to commit them to memory. It...probably won't go well, but she does her best.

Spoiler
    Show
    (3d6)[11] vs. IQ?

She points to one of the villages. "So, humans live here. What sort of humans? Dangerous ones or the kind that run away screaming and don't stop until they pass out or something heavy falls on them? And if I'm to avoid them, how am I supposed to find the elf? I can't just fly around and hope to spot him. Or her."

19. - Top - End - #19

Spiriah answers, "Most of the humans are skittish, like... like bunny rabbits. They'll run if they see us. A few might be brave enough to try and intimidate us into leaving, but I don't know if they would actually hurt us or retreat if you stand your ground. I don't try to cause them trouble; they might form a mob and look for my lair."

She thinks about how to find the elf. "Well, if the elf is badly hurt, then they'll probably go to this village. There is a human there who heals the sick. She seems nice. Lives in a red painted 'house'. If the elf isn't badly hurt, um... they might go through these small villages down this road. It's the fastest route to the elven city."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

20. - Top - End - #20

Chaarix raises what passes for an eyebrow. "Bunny rabbits?" she repeats incredulously, "Only larger, stronger, and more prone to forming mobs and chasing us down. Or banding together and stealing from father's hoard." She glances around conspicuously, not exactly trying to hide her examination of Spiriah's home. "You do seem to be the expert, though, so I will take your word for it."

In truth, Chaarix was very unimpressed with Spiriah's depiction of humans clashed a bit with what she already knew, but then again, Spiriah liked to hide and, apparently, observe the humans from a distance. Also steal, but that was fine.

"So," she says, "It would have been a good idea to ask how injured they were, then." Hindsight is 20/20.

21. - Top - End - #21

"Yeah, we... oh. We didn't ask how injured they were," Spiriah announced. She fidgeted two clawed fingers together in thought, then said,

"Well, father is quite powerful. If he trusts us to track these thieves down, then... they are probably very injured, right?"
    Digo Dragon - Artist

22. - Top - End - #22

"I would hope," Chaarix says, "That he has a little more faith in us than that. But I would not complain if they were."

She studies the maps a bit more and nods. "Right. I will check the house with the red paint job first, then, and see if I can find the elf. If I can't, then I should be able to fly faster than he or she can walk. Wouldn't be too difficult to catch them before they can get all the way home."

23. - Top - End - #23

She studies the maps a bit more and nods. "Right. I will check the house with the red paint job first, then, and see if I can find the elf. If I can't, then I should be able to fly faster than he or she can walk. Wouldn't be too difficult to catch them before they can get all the way home."
    "Well, I kind of hope they are really injured. I don't want to cause humans to think I'm huge and menacing and must be slain! Oh, I do hope Morlun doesn't cause a scene in the dwarven lands." She wibbles a bit in place, but calms down.

Spiriah takes a deep breath. As she slowly releases it, light wisps of white comes out her nostrils. "I wish there was a way we could talk to each other. I don't know that kind of magic though. Most of mine is about hiding. Well, I think we should both get going if we want to catch up with them."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

24. - Top - End - #24

Chaarix glances back at her glistening scales. Though she didn't have the magical talent of her sister, her scales were very, very hard and capable of taking a beating. She quietly says, "I don't know that magic either."

She hesitates, but lays a claw on Spiriah's shoulder. "I am sure Morlun will...act wisely." She is not sure of that in the slightest,but wants to offer some comfort.

25. - Top - End - #25

"Wise for him would be to not setting everything on fire," Spiriah grumbles.

She steps over to a second table, full of... oddities made by humans. She picks up a tiny scroll case on a long rope and brings it back for Chaarix. "Here, you can take my map to navigate. I have another copy I can use to fly east. It's all I can offer to help you."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

26. - Top - End - #26

Chaarix takes the map and awkwardly holds it in one claw. She will need to grab some sort of sling for carrying things while she is at it. That's alright. She'll set out tonight and be sure she has everything she needs today. "Thank you," she says, "It may be all you can offer, but I'll take it anyway." She grins. "This is already far more useful than anything else I've got. Now I can tell which direction I'm supposed to fly."

She glances backwards and adds, "Buuuut getting it out of here might be a problem. How did you get all this stuff in here, past the water?"

27. - Top - End - #27

She glances backwards and adds, "Buuuut getting it out of here might be a problem. How did you get all this stuff in here, past the water?"
    "It wasn't easy. Here, use the scroll case I store it in." Spiriah holds out the little tube. "Keep it closed tight and it'll keep your map dry inside it. You can tire the rope into a knot. Like a sling. Humans do it all the time to carry things."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

28. - Top - End - #28

With some effort, Chaarix does just that. Working a rope with claws is slightly difficult, since you have to try not to cut the rope apart. Still, she manages to get it tied over one shoulder and around her torso. "I think this should do it," she says.

She rises and looks towards the entrance. "Well, thank you. I do hope Morlun knows what he is doing. You seem to know quite a bit about humans, so I am sure you will do just fine with them." She chuckles. "Who knows? They might find you cute."

29. - Top - End - #29

"Cute? No, they only see a monster," Spiriah says. She looks... disappointed too. "I keep my distance, just like father said I should. He's usually right about these things."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

30. - Top - End - #30

"Usually," Chaarix agrees grimly, "But not always. And in this mission, we may not have a choice. Be prepared to try and get them on your side. At the very least, a divided enemy will be easier to defeat."

She idles for a moment, though, wanting to make sure that Spiriah does not have any other advice yet too proud to flat out ask for it.