New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Sword of Roses (IC)

Chaarix screeches to a halt and stands still as her vision clears. She blinks rapidly, squinting at the human in front of her. She eyes the woman, turns towards the goats, and slowly backs away. She even sits down, trying to look un-threatening, but majestic for the moment.

Well, this was new. She eyed the woman's injuries with slight concern. "Are you...alright?" she asks. Wait, what was she doing? She had more important things to worry about. "And where is the elf?"

2. - Top - End - #62
    Spamalot in the Playground

"I'm fine. The elf... got away though," the human replied. "Managed to... break something in his bag. Spilled some shards on the ground over there." She points to the area.

"When I find that elf, I'm going to tear him in half."
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

3. - Top - End - #63

"Mmmm," Chaarix agrees, nodding, "Well, I suppose you did what you could." She grins. "I managed to cripple his hand, so I think I am having more success in tearing him apart so far."

"Now, which way did he run? I must pursue him."

4. - Top - End - #64

The human points the way south. "Through the woods that way. Nothing but trees for miles. There's an open road to the east that goes down to a small village, but I think he's gonna avoid the open sky if you're after him."

She pauses, then adds, "...so why ARE you after him?"
    Digo Dragon - Artist

5. - Top - End - #65

Chaarix spreads her wings and makes ready to take off. "He stole something from me," she growls. It's not exactly the truth, but she doesn't need to know that. "And he is going to learn why that is a bad idea." She pauses for dramatic effect. "After I burn the forest down around him."

6. - Top - End - #66

Quote Originally Posted by Miltonian View Post
    Chaarix spreads her wings and makes ready to take off. "He stole something from me," she growls. It's not exactly the truth, but she doesn't need to know that. "And he is going to learn why that is a bad idea." She pauses for dramatic effect. "After I burn the forest down around him."
    The woman nodded slowly. "Aye, well that little rotgrubber stole something from me as well. I on't suppose you... ah, want some help? He seems a slippery goat, and... well you ran headlong into a pen of those like you didn't see it."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

7. - Top - End - #67

Chaarix pauses mid-takeoff and settles back on the ground. "Help?" she repeats, incredulous, "You are wounded and you don't even have scales." She bristles a little bit. "Yes, well, there was a bright light and I couldn't see clearly for a minute there. It is gone now. I assure you, I am perfectly fine."

Still, if he pulls the same trick again, what will she do? Chaarix studies the human once more. "You...fought of three others. Who were they?"

8. - Top - End - #68

Still, if he pulls the same trick again, what will she do? Chaarix studies the human once more. "You...fought of three others. Who were they?"
    "I'm not positive, but I have a lead. They came to my village a couple days ago and stayed at the inn there the entire time. The elf only showed up today--quite wounded--but those three helped heal him. They stole a large supply of medicinals from our apothecary and... well I gave chase. I remember them having a symbol tatooed on their arms of a raven. I think they're some kind of mercenary group from the city to the south. That's where I'm going."

She looks down at her wounds, then shrugs. "I guess I'm pretty battered, but what's my alternative? Go home in shame for for giving up so soon? I didn't know a dragon was involved and well.. you are a dragon, right?"
    Digo Dragon - Artist

9. - Top - End - #69

Chaarix is mildly offended that she can't recognize a dragon when she sees one. Still, that is her problem, not Chaarix's. "Yes," she says, "I am a dragon. Thank you for noticing."

She considers her options. A second pair of eyes would be very helpful, if the elf tried that spell again. Still, she has no time to wait for her to trod along on the ground. She crouches lower, putting her chest near the ground. "I need a guide," she says, "And a second pair of eyes never hurts. Can you hold on tight?"

10. - Top - End - #70

She considers her options. A second pair of eyes would be very helpful, if the elf tried that spell again. Still, she has no time to wait for her to trod along on the ground. She crouches lower, putting her chest near the ground. "I need a guide," she says, "And a second pair of eyes never hurts. Can you hold on tight?"
    "Can I hold...? Oh, you mean for me to ride with you? That's... going to be a new experience. Sure." She ties her warhammer securely to her back and moves to climb up on Chaarix.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

11. - Top - End - #71

Chaarix lets her climb up, seeing absolutely nothing wrong with this. And if no one ever teaches her about horses and how humans view creatures they ride, she will continue to see nothing wrong with it.

"Do not slip," she says, "Creatures without wings fall very fast and are hard to catch."

And with that, she will take to the air. "In which direction did her run?" she calls back to her passenger.

12. - Top - End - #72

"Uhh..." She holds on tight, though sounds confused instead of startled. "Let's see... he went through those tall trees there and kept going..."

The woman continues to direct Chaarix over the forest.

"You know, I don't think I ever got your name. Mine's Abigail. Former squire and former apothecary to my mother. Only because I quit. I mean, I just don't know what I'd do with my life, and riding a dragon never crossed my mind honestly." She sounds pretty calm about it all.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

13. - Top - End - #73

Chaarix heads for those trees and wings over, peering in between them, trying to spot the elf in the gathering gloom. Not having the sharpest senses for a dragon, it might be a trial for her, but she will keep looking. And if all else fails, she can burn the forest down around the elf's ears.

She considers her answer for the moment, but sees no reason to deceive her. "Chaarix," she says, "Chaarix the..." Crud. She hadn't thought of a cool title. "...Blue."

14. - Top - End - #74

"Blue is a nice color," Abigail responded. "Well Chaarix, it might take us a while to find this elf through a forest. We could instead fly ahead and find a clearing they'll likely come through. We might ambush them. Though maybe you have a better idea? I read that dragons are super-smart and know a lot of ancient sites and secrets."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

15. - Top - End - #75

"We are," Chaarix says, ego appropriately stroked, "But currently, mine is telling me to listen to the person who knows the area better than I do." She looks down, taking a survey of the land below her. "You pick the clearing you think looks likely. I'll take us down there. And don't forget to hold on tight!"

16. - Top - End - #76

"Over there, that one I'm familiar with." Abigail points to a clearing that appears to have a lot of scattered strangely-shaped stones. Many cylindrical ones.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

17. - Top - End - #77

Chaarix wordlessly wings her way over to it and lands. She lowers her shoulders to the ground, giving the woman a chance to slip off. She looks around and notes the stones around them. "Might be able to hide behind these," she says, "You are sure he will come through here?"

18. - Top - End - #78

"A spooky temple ruin made of stone that won't easily burn from dragon's breath?" Abigail says cheeky, "Yeah, I think he will."

She looks around the runs, pointing to large parts where Chaarix could hide. "I used to come out this way as a child. The elders said it was once a place of worship for the elves. They abandoned it long ago, moved further south to better lands I guess. Tried to prove to my friends I wasn't scared of the stories that this place was haunted. Hmm... can't remember what being scared was like."

Chaarix could see a few hiding spots. Some places would give her a lot of cover (+4 Stealth), but would make it difficult to just leap forth and attack from (+2 active defense for target). There is a nice conservative hiding spot that gives some cover and puts her in a decent position (+2 Stealth, no bonus to active defenses). Or maybe Chaarix wishes to try that one high spot that isn't very good for hiding, but it would give her a nice attack from higher ground, difficult to avoid (No stealth bonus, -2 Active defenses to target).

Abigail looks for a suitable spot to hide.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

19. - Top - End - #79

Chaarix looks around, frankly unimpressed. Spooky. Huh, yeah right. She huffs. Humans were strange, but they were also small. No wonder they had such benighted fears. "I see," she says, trying not to let her true feelings show.

Still, looking around she can't say she likes many of her options. But, in the end, she supposes that it would be best not to be seen and have a chance at an ambush than it would be to have him spot her before she even got a shot at him. She points to the well-concealed spot. "I shall be there," she declares, "And we shall attempt to take him down before he can cast another bloody spell."

20. - Top - End - #80

"Sounds like a plan," Abigail responded.

The sun began to set now; darkness crawling upon the land. As the light began to dim, a light in the woods to the north came into view. I approached slowly, rustling under the tree branches. Three figures stepped out into view, one being the elf that Chaarix was looking for.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

21. - Top - End - #81

Chaarix waits, eyes fixed directly on them. The gathering darkness would make it more difficult to fight, but spraying down their general area with bolts of bright lightning would probably hit a good number of them. She waited patiently, biding her time until they are all within easy range, and then sent a surge of power to her legs. Leaping on top of the stones, she let out a roar and bolt after bolt of lightning, striking all three.

"You can't run forever, elf!" she bellows.

22. - Top - End - #82

The targets cook a bit, caught completely by surprise. They spread out, preparing spells of their own. The elf and one minion manage, a bit with effort, to get spells charged in their hands. The second minion fairs poorly and his spell bursts in his face, injuring him. Abigail jumps out from her hiding spot and attacks this unfortunate minion, smashing her war hammer into his chest with a loud crunch. He is not in good shape.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

23. - Top - End - #83

Chaarix learned her lesson this time and approaches a bit more cautiously as she evaluates the elf's defenses. She lets out a booming laugh and taunts them loudly. "Aw. Did that sting a little? Well, there is more where that came from!" She raises a claw and grins.

Spoiler
    Show
    Chaarix will spend the turn moving forward and evaluating the elf's defenses. After all, if she moves and attacks, she can't dodge whatever spells are thrown at her. And, if she needs to Deceptive Attack, it is best to have some bonuses.

24. - Top - End - #84

"GRRR!" The elf brashly throws his spell at Chaarix, not even taking the time to properly charge it up. Flames surrounding an orb of magic light up the night as it hurls towards Chaarix!

Throwing (fire spell-14) (3d6)[12] (one dodge/defense from Chaarix please)

The other minion with a spell continues to charge energy into it. Meanwhile the minion down on his luck pulls a dagger and fights Abigail. He lands a hit, but it doesn't seam to penetrate her armor. Her warhammer clobbers him in the chest, sending him to the floor in agony. Chaarix is up next.
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2020-04-15 at 05:58 PM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

25. - Top - End - #85

Chaarix beats her wings and darts to the side slightly, avoiding the thrown fireball. This time, she steps right up to the elf and brings her head down, jaws wide. But the attack does not come from there. The real attack comes from her claw, shooting up from below. There are no fancy tricks this time, no going for the limbs. This one is headed straight for the body.

26. - Top - End - #86

The elf plays right into Chaarix' deception! He dodges her teeth, only for the claws to connect with their target!

(damage?)
    Digo Dragon - Artist

27. - Top - End - #87

The strike was SOLID. The elf stumbles back, blood dripping from a nasty gash down his chest.

"Damnit, can't fail her..." the elf mutters. He tries casting a spell despite his grave injury. He manages to keep focus, and a familiar magical energy comes into his palm again.

The minion near him unleashes his charged bolt of fire at Chaarix. "Burn, dragon!"
    (will need a dodge/defense).

Abigail takes a blow to her side, but she swings back and drops the unlucky minion. She turns to help Chaarix.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

28. - Top - End - #88

Chaarix sighs and sidesteps the burning missile and raises what passes for an eyebrow. "Seriously? You go to all that work to get my attention and the only thing you can think to say is 'Burn, dragon'? Do you know how moronic you sound right now?"

Still, she does not neglect her target. She expected the claws piercing his stomach to do him him, but it seems that was not the case. Oh well, there's always a second swing. And, still reeling from the first, he's very unlikely to avoid this one too.

29. - Top - End - #89

This latest blow was the one. The elf fell to his knees, unable to fight. He couldn't keep going and collapsed on the ground. The last minion turned and ran for the woods, hoping to disappear in them and take his chances with something less murderous, like wolves. Abigail thought to give chase, but she saw the bag the elf was carrying and she was more interested in that so she did not chase.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

30. - Top - End - #90

Chaarix withdraws her talons from the elf's chest and lets him sink to the ground. She watches him slump down and become still, all the rage and rush of battle giving way to a quiet calm. With a graceful slowness, she raises the bloodied claw up and stares at it. She had killed things before during hunts, of course, but this was different. This time was the first where she had faced an actual enemy. Now, she truly was the essence of nature, red in tooth and claw.

Also, the treasure. Can't forget the treasure.

She leaned in close and began looking the elf over. "You see a crown anywhere?" she asks Abigail.