New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: The Sword of Roses (IC)

The road does get isolated after a few miles. It's just a worn dirt path with some tree cover. No armored patrols around and it's around lunchtime, the man driving the cart doesn't seem to be worried about anything.

Of the two kobolds, one is napping, the other inspecting their bonds and wiggling their wrist, but doesn't seem to figure out an escape yet.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

2. - Top - End - #152
    Firbolg in the Playground

With a flourish, Chaarix slams into the ground right in front of the wagon. Her landing kicks up a cloud of dust, but she flaps her wings once and disperses it. Drawing herself up, she declares in a loud, clear voice, "Greeeetings and salutations! I am Chaarix and I have..." She pauses dramatically. "...Questions."

3. - Top - End - #153

The driver, the awake kobold, and the horse all jump with a start. Their collective faces figuratively turn ashen white with fright, and for now, they are stunned and do not bolt away.

The sleeping kobold awakens, yawns, and looks up. He chirps softly in his native dragonish language to the other kobold, "Oh neat, blue dragon."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

4. - Top - End - #154

Chaarix wishes she could close her nostrils. "Ah good. I see you're in a listening mood already." She grins, displaying an awful lot of teeth. "So! Onto the questions. First of all, what news from the town? Any other dragons sighted nearby? Second, where are you taking these kobolds and do you have more?"

She clears her throat. "Third, what's your price for all of them?"

5. - Top - End - #155

The driver stutters. "A-a-another d-dragon?! Y-You can h-have t-them! Ahhh!"

He cracks the reigns and the horse snaps back to reality and drives off the road in a seemingly random direction. The two kobolds tumble out of the cart onto the floor. They seems rather annoyed at this.

"Thanks for the ride, you donkey loving jack cart!" the sleepy kobold shouts in a decent common tongue.

The other one snorts. "Not even how that insult goes, idiot. And there's a DRAGON here, remember?" she reminds him, with no small amount of crankiness.

"Course I remember. Can't really miss the big beauty here," the sleepy one replies. "I'll just turn on the 'ol suave charm and win her over."

"You know she is right here and can hear you sound like an idiot."

"Tut tut. No kobold or dragon can resist, the smolder." He approaches Chaarix and makes this odd face, something between a smirk and half-lidded attention. "Hello, there."

The other kobold face-palms and probably thinks they about to get eaten.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

6. - Top - End - #156

Chaarix stares after the wagon for a long moment, then lets out a soft snort that sends tiny static bursts trailing through the air. "Rude," she mutters. Then, she turns her attention to her new 'acquisitions'.

"I can indeed hear you," she says, "And it's no use running. I can fly and your legs are shorter than mine. Also, he didn't leave the key, so I am going to have to break those chains at some point." She huffs dramatically. "The nerve of some people."

She lays down, assuming a more casual stance. "Come closer. I'll see if I can break them while we talk. I have some questions. First of all, are you slaves?"

Spoiler: Other Questions, as appropriate
    Show
    "Where were you captured?"

"How long?"

"How old are you?"

"...Is that old? Young? I can't tell."

"Do you have any special talents?"

"Alright. What's one reason I shouldn't eat you?"

7. - Top - End - #157

Quote Originally Posted by Miltonian;24552556"
    Come closer. I'll see if I can break them while we talk. I have some questions. First of all, are you slaves?"
    The male kobold seems a little put off that his odd facial expression didn't get a reaction. He sighs and approaches. The female is a little more cautious, approaching slower, and standing slightly farther away.

"We are... were slaves. Taken from our home in the north and sold to that lord whom you chased off," the female explains. "If not for you, we would be working his fields for the rest of our lives."

"Yeah, we be terrible farmers anyway," the male adds. "Can't grow mushrooms in sunlight."

"Smart kobolds can. You too lazy to try," the female cuts in.

"Where were you captured?"
    "Well, home is a big mountain. We call it Bolshaya Gora. We were guarding temple when humans attacked. They stole a sacred scroll, some shinies. Captured us."

"How long?"
    The male kobold giggles with a grin.

The female punches him in the back of the head. "Stop. Flirting."

"Ow, ow... okay. I stop," the male pleads. He takes a breath and looks at the sky, muttering something in some odd language. After a moment he nods. "We been gone about 16 sun cycles. By now home clan would think we dead."

"How old are you?"
    "...Is that old? Young? I can't tell."
    The female has to think a moment. "I'm fifteen years, he's thirteen years. We are considered almost adults among kobolds."

"Do you have any special talents?"
    The male kobold seems to perk up at this question. "Oh yes! I am a great and powerful sorcerer of ancient kobold magics!"

The female clenches a fist, ready for round two. "He knows some apprentice magic. I am skilled scout; I know stealth and getting into places unseen."

"Alright. What's one reason I shouldn't eat you?"
    "Well, you look a bit like the other dragon in the city. You looking for her? Don't eat us and we can help you get into city. Sneak you in, you meet other dragon."
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2020-06-09 at 04:59 PM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

8. - Top - End - #158

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    The male kobold seems a little put off that his odd facial expression didn't get a reaction. He sighs and approaches. The female is a little more cautious, approaching slower, and standing slightly farther away.

"We are... were slaves. Taken from our home in the north and sold to that lord whom you chased off," the female explains. "If not for you, we would be working his fields for the rest of our lives."

"Yeah, we be terrible farmers anyway," the male adds. "Can't grow mushrooms in sunlight."

"Smart kobolds can. You too lazy to try," the female cuts in.
    Chaarix snorts. "That was no lord. That was a farmer, similar to the ones in a small village I know. I have slain a lord before." She considers for a moment. "I am not sure," she says, "What makes the difference, other than the clothes and general air of snobbery."

She follows this up with a grin and smug look. "Well, who says you've escaped slavery?" She lets that hang for a moment, then dismisses the thought with a wave of her claw. "But no. I prefer servants. They're more loyal and better treated. Also, they receive compensation for their loyal and obedient service." She emphasizes those two words. "And get to bask in my magnificent presence whenever they want, of course."

"Well, home is a big mountain. We call it Bolshaya Gora. We were guarding temple when humans attacked. They stole a sacred scroll, some shinies. Captured us."
    Chaarix's eyes glint with a strange light. A golden light. It seems that humans steal frequently and readily. She is not fond of the idea of them giving her the same treatment. "Were there any others captured?" she asks.

The male kobold giggles with a grin.

The female punches him in the back of the head. "Stop. Flirting."

"Ow, ow... okay. I stop," the male pleads. He takes a breath and looks at the sky, muttering something in some odd language. After a moment he nods. "We been gone about 16 sun cycles. By now home clan would think we dead."
    Chaarix, for just a moment, sways her hips and lets her tail perform a half-wag. She smirks at him. "I assure you, however long it is, it's not long enough."

The female has to think a moment. "I'm fifteen years, he's thirteen years. We are considered almost adults among kobolds."
    Chaarix nods, accepting this answer. For a moment, she feels a twinge of pity for creatures with such short lives. "I understand," she says, "And it is good that I have found you so early in your lives then." She grins.

The male kobold seems to perk up at this question. "Oh yes! I am a great and powerful sorcerer of ancient kobold magics!"

The female clenches a fist, ready for round two. "He knows some apprentice magic. I am skilled scout; I know stealth and getting into places unseen."
    An apprentice is still more magical than Chaarix. She raises a scaled eyebrow. "Oh indeed? Well, then that is fortunate. I am unlikely to make meals of either of you, then." Her tone is teasing, light, and it is clear she speaks in jest.

"Well, you look a bit like the other dragon in the city. You looking for her? Don't eat us and we can help you get into city. Sneak you in, you meet other dragon."
    And there it is. Proof that Spiriah let herself be captured. Chaarix's eyes narrow. "Yes. Yes, I would very much like to meet her. Is she being sold too, like you were?" Her tone is bitter now. Angry. Static crackles around the edge of her maw. "Human lords gawking at her, planning to turn her into a pet or a--"

She stops. Lords. That's the answer. The lords held the power. A human with that title seemed to be able to do whatever he wanted to whoever he wanted, and yet he was still a human. A thrill goes through her. Now, imagine what a dragon could do with that title? "...Tell me," she says softly, "How do humans become lords?"

9. - Top - End - #159

Quote Originally Posted by Miltonian View Post
    She follows this up with a grin and smug look. "Well, who says you've escaped slavery?" She lets that hang for a moment, then dismisses the thought with a wave of her claw. "But no. I prefer servants. They're more loyal and better treated. Also, they receive compensation for their loyal and obedient service." She emphasizes those two words. "And get to bask in my magnificent presence whenever they want, of course."
    "Uh..." the male seems to connect two-and-two and now seems a little less confident. "Well, basking seems like a good thing?"

"We can definitely work for you, great one," the female chimes in. "Elders tell us that we are descendants of great dragons, and they were once the rulers of our mountain. Your offer is much fair compared to toiling in the fields for a human who cares little of our needs."

"Were there any others captured?" she asks.
    "No, they fled or were killed. We were the only two unlucky ones."

She smirks at him. "I assure you, however long it is, it's not long enough."
    The male kobold seems to blush with a bit of embarrassment, avoiding eye contact for the moment. The female just shakes her head.

They both seem more at ease now that they know they won't be eaten.

And there it is. Proof that Spiriah let herself be captured. Chaarix's eyes narrow. "Yes. Yes, I would very much like to meet her. Is she being sold too, like you were?" Her tone is bitter now. Angry. Static crackles around the edge of her maw. "Human lords gawking at her, planning to turn her into a pet or a--"

She stops. Lords. That's the answer. The lords held the power. A human with that title seemed to be able to do whatever he wanted to whoever he wanted, and yet he was still a human. A thrill goes through her. Now, imagine what a dragon could do with that title? "...Tell me," she says softly, "How do humans become lords?"
    "No, not to be sold or made a pet. Not gawked at either. The lord of this city keeps her hidden in a big chamber within his castle," the female answers. "In my failed attempt to escape, I happened to see her. She is in fair condition, but I do not know anything beyond that."

"Humans are made lords by a blessing from a king as I understand it," the male explains. "I do not know how one qualifies for this blessing. Seems arbitrary."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

10. - Top - End - #160

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    "Uh..." the male seems to connect two-and-two and now seems a little less confident. "Well, basking seems like a good thing?"

"We can definitely work for you, great one," the female chimes in. "Elders tell us that we are descendants of great dragons, and they were once the rulers of our mountain. Your offer is much fair compared to toiling in the fields for a human who cares little of our needs."
    Chaarix nods with a smug smile. "And I expect you to tell me your needs. You may have heard dragons are greedy, and it is true. So, I am loathe to let good servants suffer. It seems a terrible waste to me."

She chuckles. "In other words, I do not know what your kind requires. Tell me, and I shall provide it. Within reason. I highly doubt you eat gems and drink molten gold, so don't expect me to shower you in riches just for existing."

The male kobold seems to blush with a bit of embarrassment, avoiding eye contact for the moment. The female just shakes her head.
    This greatly amuses Chaarix.

"No, not to be sold or made a pet. Not gawked at either. The lord of this city keeps her hidden in a big chamber within his castle," the female answers. "In my failed attempt to escape, I happened to see her. She is in fair condition, but I do not know anything beyond that."

"Humans are made lords by a blessing from a king as I understand it," the male explains. "I do not know how one qualifies for this blessing. Seems arbitrary."
    "I see," Chaarix says, "Then, we must find a human to explain it. And I know of one who has been very accommodating today. Except for the small matter of not leaving the blasted key to your chains." She glowers at the iron links.

She pushes herself to her feet. "So, with you two bound like that, I am going to have to carry you in my claws until we catch up with him."

11. - Top - End - #161

"Oh, don't worry about me," the female says. She twists her wrists and with a couple soft cracks, she slips out of them. She rubs her wrists. "Alright, so you just have to carry my brother as I don't have any tools to break his locks."

"If I could gesture I could get out of these chains."

"If you could gesture, you wouldn't be IN chains."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

12. - Top - End - #162

Chaarix, again, raises an eyebrow. She has never seen someone do that before. In fact, it seems to violate the whole purpose of chaining someone up if they can just slip out again. "That does make me wonder," she says, "Why you didn't just slip out in the first place." However, she won't press the issue. "Very well. I suppose you get to ride on my back." She lowers a wing, forming a sort of ramp for the female kobold to climb up. As for the male, she gestures for him to come closer so she can easily pick him up.

"Oh. One other thing," she says, "What should I call you?"

13. - Top - End - #163

"That does make me wonder," she says, "Why you didn't just slip out in the first place."
    "If I tried to escape too close to the city, they'll just capture me again," she explains. "Also, couldn't leave my baby brother behind."

"Very well. I suppose you get to ride on my back." She lowers a wing, forming a sort of ramp for the female kobold to climb up. As for the male, she gestures for him to come closer so she can easily pick him up.

"Oh. One other thing," she says, "What should I call you?"
    She is cautious and climbs carefully onto Chaarix's back, being very gentle and light-footed.

The male walks up and stands there, unsure how to stand to be 'picked up'.

"I'm Zuri, and he's--"

"Zido, the skilled sorcerer!" the male interrupts. "Well, some day I will be, and my comic powers will be at your command, my lady... ship... dragoness... um, what is your name?"
    Digo Dragon - Artist

14. - Top - End - #164

Chaarix waits until Zuri has settled in between her shoulders and has a good grip. It is odd to feel scales on hers, even smaller ones. The smooth metal and cloth of that human (Abigail, was it? She couldn't remember at the moment. It probably wasn't important.) Still, she doesn't mind it too much. She throws a glance back at Zuri and says, "Be sure to hold on tight. I could catch you if you fell, but it would be a close thing."

She looks back to Zido and gauges how best to grab him. "I," she says, "am Chaarix, and you may call me such." She gingerly wraps her claw around his middle and picks him up. "Now," she tells him, "Please do not soil my claw. I know you've never flown, but you, at least, I can keep a good grip on." She grins.

She spreads her wings and crouches on three legs. With a whoop, she leaps into the air and furiously beats her wings until they are airborne. She circles upwards until she has some altitude, then looks for where the farmer might have run off to.

15. - Top - End - #165

"I," she says, "am Chaarix, and you may call me such."
    "Call you Such. I mean, Chaarix. Yes."

Upon take off, Zuri grips tight, not wishing to fall. Zido just lets out a squeak as he's carried into the air.

She circles upwards until she has some altitude, then looks for where the farmer might have run off to.
    Searching around, the farmer appears to have gotten his cart back on the dirt road to the farm. The farm buildings are impressively large, built almost like castles in themselves out of stone with large banners draped off them.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

16. - Top - End - #166

Chaarix does not bother hiding a grin at their reactions. She could get used to this. How sad it must be to be stuck on the ground and never know the joy of flight!

The farm is far more fortified than she expected. She begins to think this might not be a simple farmer after all. But even still, he is easily cowed. Chaarix lazily glides over the back of the cart and, mid-flight, calmly says, "You forget to hand over the key."

17. - Top - End - #167

The farmer stars screaming "Dragon! Dragon!" several times as he cracks the reins for the horse to run faster. Somewhere on the farm a bell begins to ring repeatedly.

Zido cranes his neck to look up at Chaarix. "Maybe we should just let my sister steal lockpicks in the next farm?"

"Or, we could burn this mother-farmin' place to the ground!" Zuri suggests.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

18. - Top - End - #168

Several responses spring into the dragon's mind. Well for one, Chaarix is loathe to turn away from her chosen course of action. She is proud like that. For two, she is sure that this farmer, if allowed, will immediately send runners to warn the town once he thinks it is safe. That makes things very inconvenient. Very inconvenient indeed.

"Hey!" she snarls, "You! Idiot driving the cart! Oh forget it..."

She decides the best course of action is simply to snatch the farmer off his cart and have a mid-air conference with him and studies how best to approach this for several seconds before attempting.

Spoiler
    Show
    As we seem to still be some distance away from the farm, Chaarix will take the evaluate action for three consecutive seconds, then strike from directly behind so as to deny him active defenses. This brings her up to 12 DX + 3 Evaluate.

(3d6)[18]

Edit: Rolled a 14 on the crit miss, which means I miss him and end up 1 yard past him.

...And her claw somehow misses him entirely, whizzing past his head as she shoots past the wagon. "...I am growing tired of this," she snarls.
    Last edited by Miltonian; 2020-06-11 at 09:24 PM.

19. - Top - End - #169

Zuri takes initiative and advantage of the positioning. "For Chaarix!" she squeaks and leaps off the dragon's back. Zuri body slams into the human, knocking them both to the ground. The human doesn't fair too well from the fall and looks injured, but on the flip side of that coin, he isn't capable of running now. Zuri somehow manages to roll with the momentum and only get scratched up.

Despite a lack of human driving, the horse continues galloping toward the farm.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

20. - Top - End - #170

Chaarix sighs heavily. "Is she always like this?" she asks Zido.

She swings about for a landing and comes to a halt just over the farmer. She puts on her best 'friendly' smile. "Hello sir," she says, concealing the venom she currently feels towards the man. She holds up Zido. "Key? Now? Thanks."

If he gives it up, she continues. "One other question. Who should I talk to about becoming a lord in this city?"

21. - Top - End - #171

Chaarix sighs heavily. "Is she always like this?" she asks Zido.
    "Not always, but don't be on her bad side when she gets quiet."

She holds up Zido. "K
    "Take it! Take it!" the human yelps. He throws the key at Zido, who catches it and frees himself.

Zido makes several wide gestures around. "Ahh, good to be free."

If he gives it up, she continues. "One other question. Who should I talk to about becoming a lord in this city?"
    "A... lord? Uhh... go talk to the Duchess of the city? She's in charge. She gives out Lord titles and land."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

22. - Top - End - #172

"Excellent," Chaarix purrs. She glowers at the man suddenly. "See? I am not unreasonable. All I wanted was a key that you forgot to give me and to ask a simple question. But no. You decided that riding around like a maniac was the best course of action." She sighs dramatically and sets Zido down.

"Now," she says, adopting a more businesslike tone, "Will you need help returning to your..." She looks at the walls and parapets. "...Fortress? Oh, and if you have any more kobolds, I would like to negotiate taking them off your hands. Not now, though. I can't carry them all. Two is quite enough for now. I'll come back later."

23. - Top - End - #173

"No, no, I'm alright! Yes! No more kobolds! Those two are all yours!" the human answers in haste. He scrambles to his feet and runs off in a random direction that isn't toward the farm. At the farm, a few figures have stepped out of the largest building, but seem to just be observing for now. Chaarix can see the little glints of light from the sun reflecting off what seems to be armor.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

24. - Top - End - #174

She raises a claw and points towards the farm. "Your home is...nevermind." She watches him run away, making no move to chase him. Her gaze shifts towards the potentially armored soldiers watching her. What was that motion humans made? Awkwardly, she waves a claw at them.

"Well, I think our work here is done," she says to her new companions, sounding more satisfied than before, "We caused a little panic and chaos, but got what we wanted. Now...what was this about sneaking into the city?"

25. - Top - End - #175

She raises a claw and points towards the farm. "Your home is...nevermind." She watches him run away, making no move to chase him. Her gaze shifts towards the potentially armored soldiers watching her. What was that motion humans made? Awkwardly, she waves a claw at them.
    Some of the figures seem to move slightly away? At least they weren't charging her, so maybe they were just hoping Chaarix would leave?

"Well, I think our work here is done," she says to her new companions, sounding more satisfied than before, "We caused a little panic and chaos, but got what we wanted. Now...what was this about sneaking into the city?"
    "Sneaking is easy for a little kobold, but not easy for big dragon. My suggestion is we steal a wagon to sneak you in as if we were bringing goods to market place," Zuri suggests.

Zido scratches his nose. "I have a more fun idea. I use my magic to turn Chaarix into wolf. We then sneak in and find this other dragon. Benefit is that we do not have a wagon with dragon in it at the market thinking of the next step."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

26. - Top - End - #176

Chaarix raises an eyebrow. "CAN you turn me into a wolf? No, don't answer that. Wolves tend to eat things. I doubt the humans would let a wolf wander about either."

She turns and begins walking away from the farm to set the humans at ease.

"Are there any other ways into the city?" she muses, "Perhaps through the water? "

Okay, think Chaarix. She needed to get in there, find Spiriah, find the thieves, grab the cape, and get out without dying. But, she knew nothing about the town, the thieves, very little about where Spiriah was, and the town had so many people that they would overwhelm even her.

Perhaps the best approach is simply to be as audacious as possible. No sneaking around. March forward like she could conquer the world, but be prepared to take to the air and fly away at the first opportunity.

"Tell me," she asks her kobolds as she explores the idea, "What were the slave markets like?"

27. - Top - End - #177

"I could turn you into a wolf!" Zido answered. "They're not much different than dogs. We just put a collar on you and they'll think you're just someone's pet."

Zuri rolls her eyes, but doesn't comment on that. Instead...

"The slave markets were... dirty and smelly. I think they sell people who are criminals? Everyone sold did crimes," Zuri explained.

"Our crime is being kobolds," Zido added.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

28. - Top - End - #178

Chaarix is now considering this with more care than she originally thought. "And," she says, "What about you two? Would you just be allowed to walk in? Or would you be sneaking in?"

She grimaces at their comment on their 'crime'. "And I assume the same holds true for the orcs. Well then. These people seem to be the very picture of open-minded tolerance and exactly the sort I want to have my sister in captivity." Silently, she adds, 'especially when she is so naive'.

29. - Top - End - #179

"Oh, orcs usually can walk in, if they behave. Humans just don't like kobolds. Always think that we're thieves and troublemakers," Zuri says.

"Well, maybe because we are?" Zido says, pointing to her.

"Shh! Anyway, we should all sneak. Can you swim? We could sneak in by the water, maybe steal a ship."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

30. - Top - End - #180

"Says the thief--" She winks at Zuri, "And the troublemaker." And a nod to Zido.

"Of course I can swim," Chaarix replies, completely unable to swim. "At the very least...it will get us into the city unnoticed."

She looks at the sky, trying to gauge how far it is to nightfall.