New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: OOTS #497 - The Discussion Page

Holy crap! Horace IK'd the caster! Awesome!

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Woot! Roy and Grandfather kung-fu action! Go, Fighter family, go!
    Last edited by Vulion; 2007-10-23 at 12:08 PM.
    Avatar by me. Coloring by Crimmy.

Come one, come all! My Drawngs! Here!!!

My Deviant Art Page: Turayl

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by OverWilliam View Post
    Man, every time you think 'could this stuff POSSIBLY get any cooler,' Vulion takes yet another level in Badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredthefighter View Post
    Thanks Vulion, you're awesome.
    Vulion, Awesome Incarnate, coming to an art request near you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calamity View Post
    Also, I'm surprised this thread hasn't exploded due to over-awesomeness yet Vul.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"Beats me. Let's find out together" Hilarious!
    Humble worshipper of the sexy, shoeless god of war
    Proud member of the official fan club

4. - Top - End - #184
    Halfling in the Playground

Zombie

Awesomist Grandpa in the whole wide world

5. - Top - End - #185
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by akumadaimyo View Post
    The sad truth of the evil adventuring party is most evil PCs really are that dumb. :-p (Mostly cause of the players though.)

Some people are forgetting that Roy's Grandfather would probably be 1st ed fighter. Not 3.5. I was hoping there would have been some jokes about that. "Back in my day we just had specialization" type jokes. If my jokes are stolen I'm totally calling you out on it too. :-p
    That joke was done with the captive dirt farmer.

"Back in my day we just had our Nonweapon Proficiencies and we liked them!"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Zentei's Law
    1. As an online discussion on the Order of the Stick forum grows longer, the probability of Miko Myazaki being mentioned approaches unity.
    2. He who mentions her in a disparaging way when irrelevant to the thread topic loses the argument.
    Fanclubbery list:

Miko fanclub.

Roy fanclub.

Hinjo fanclub.

The Chief fanclub.

The Xykon fanclub. Because Evil is just that cool.

6. - Top - End - #186

Zombie

i have a question though how does Horace have his sword back isnt it in the real world with haley im just saying...

7. - Top - End - #187

Quote Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
    i have a question though how does Horace have his sword back isnt it in the real world with haley im just saying...
    It's presumably a Celestial replica of it, like the armor Roy is wearing.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Zentei's Law
    1. As an online discussion on the Order of the Stick forum grows longer, the probability of Miko Myazaki being mentioned approaches unity.
    2. He who mentions her in a disparaging way when irrelevant to the thread topic loses the argument.
    Fanclubbery list:

Miko fanclub.

Roy fanclub.

Hinjo fanclub.

The Chief fanclub.

8. - Top - End - #188

Zombie

.. Ah then why dosent roy have a sword as well

9. - Top - End - #189
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

"Plane Shift!" Awesome :D

I laughed out loud at that bit. And the short work + fishing punchline + overall grandfather coolness made for a great strip. Thumbs up! (And thumbs up for some action, it was getting too peaceful...)
    That Belkar. As stubborn as he is stone cold sexy.

Still a Belkar fan.

10. - Top - End - #190

Because there can only be one Greenhilt Blade (in a given plane)!! It is special and stuff!!

Nah, Horace probably just commissioned a replica when trying out the Dungeon of Encounters that Only Just Challenge You, or whatever it was called.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Zentei's Law
    Fanclubbery list:

Miko fanclub.

Roy fanclub.

Hinjo fanclub.

The Chief fanclub.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Perhaps because his grandfather already has it. Sort of like: there can only be one copy of the object in any given plane of existence. It is a bit weak, but that is the best I can come up with
    Humble worshipper of the sexy, shoeless god of war
    Proud member of the official fan club

12. - Top - End - #192

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Deathwisher View Post
    Perhaps because his grandfather already has it. Sort of like: there can only be one copy of the object in any given plane of existence. It is a bit weak, but that is the best I can come up with
    Crap posibly

13. - Top - End - #193
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Very glad the Evil Adventuring Party didn't pop into Eric's room a few minutes earlier, when he was alone.

For the Motivational/Demotivational Posters, instead of "PLANE SHIFT - It happens," etc., I'm surprised no one has done just plain "SHIFT HAPPENS."

Urgh..."plain shift"...sorry, the *really* bad pun was unintentional...

14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    I knew that Roy would meet his grandfather. Seriously, if that Plane Shift thing happens to me in the afterlife I'm moving to a new heaven.
    Why? You don't think it was coincidence that they popped into the center of a group that enjoys fighting and needed about 12 seconds to kill them all do you?

This is a level of reality that has whole dungons full of encounters just powerful enough to really challenge you but not to actually win. Why do you assume that this ever happens in Celestia to anyone who won't enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by silvadel View Post
    More a very UNLUCKY adventuring party -- I mean they plane shift into a RANDOM part of the first level and have the bad luck to appear in front of a level 13 warrior, an archon, and what is probably an epic warrior from the third level of celestia...
    See above. That wasn't bad luck, the celestial realms are almost entirely under the control of Good deities. The Good deities don't have internal feuds serious enough to interfere with them screwing with that sort by dumping them into exactly the wrong spot. Hoping at random into celestia to kill the inhabitants is notably stupider than having your character stand on a mountain top in a lightning storm waving a sword over his head yelling "Thor is a Wuss". Some things are just asking for it.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lumenadducere View Post
    That...was extremely random.

It's good to see the grandfather, though. I was wondering if he'd show up.

I loved the "Frankly, I'm still surprised that he still liked girls" line. It's so typical old/conservative/manly-man-ish that for some reason I found it amusing.
    Heh, I took it as a Dumbledore reference myself.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beittil View Post
    Honestly i seriously think Roy is not suddenly going to be rezzed in 3 comics from now. I mean, how would his body get past an entire city full of hobbo's, an ocean and a fleet of ships in such short time :D

Not to mention that in the time all this business in Celestia takes place, on the mortal realm its still resting time for figures like Durkon.
    Remember how we saw Nale's date with Haley right up until the point where Elan came crashing through the window, and only then did we see the strips explaining how Elan escaped from jail and came to be able to crash through the window?

Something like that might happen.
    My favorite exchange:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    If your idea of fun is to give the players whatever they want, then I suggest you take out a board game called: CANDY LAND and use that for your gaming sessions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag
    Obviously, you have never known the frustration of being stranded in the Molasses Swamp.
    _______
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeavelli View Post
    Physics is a dame of culture and sophistication. She'll take you in, keep you warm at night, provide all kinds of insight into yourself and the world you never find on your own.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    Why? You don't think it was coincidence that they popped into the center of a group that enjoys fighting and needed about 12 seconds to kill them all do you?
    In a metagaming sense, Planeshift is a hilariously inaccurate spell like Wish. Blind casual shifting into hostile outer planes without valid plot reasons is liable to get you into the deadliest encounters the sadistic powers that be (that is, the DM) can come up with, like what just happened.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moon-faced Assassin of Joy

18. - Top - End - #198
    Dwarf in the Playground

My takes:

ZOMG RANDOM is exactly the point of the joke. Unlike running up or sneaking up on a party, planeshifting has no warning. There's nothing linking it to anything that's happening in the destination plane...this is the other side of what good adventurers do all the time, and I think it's great to see it from the other point of view. Going along your business and then *wham* adventurers killing everything in sight!

Secondly, I think it makes perfect sense, given the explanations we have, that Roy's grandfather has the ancestral sword, but Roy doesn't. Roy's still fixated on the moment of his death, and he dropped the sword while he was unconscious. Grandpappy, however, seems to envision himself in the prime of his fighting days...you think that's air they're breathing? ;)

19. - Top - End - #199

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by atteSmythe View Post
    My takes:

ZOMG RANDOM is exactly the point of the joke. Unlike running up or sneaking up on a party, planeshifting has no warning. There's nothing linking it to anything that's happening in the destination plane...this is the other side of what good adventurers do all the time, and I think it's great to see it from the other point of view. Going along your business and then *wham* adventurers killing everything in sight!

Secondly, I think it makes perfect sense, given the explanations we have, that Roy's grandfather has the ancestral sword, but Roy doesn't. Roy's still fixated on the moment of his death, and he dropped the sword while he was unconscious. Grandpappy, however, seems to envision himself in the prime of his fighting days...you think that's air they're breathing? ;)

Never thought about it that way now im sad

20. - Top - End - #200

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    Remember how we saw Nale's date with Haley right up until the point where Elan came crashing through the window, and only then did we see the strips explaining how Elan escaped from jail and came to be able to crash through the window?

Something like that might happen.

Great, now I keep imagining Elan and durkon plane shifting in just as Grandpa is about to start training roy. :p

21. - Top - End - #201
    Pixie in the Playground

Now THAT was filler =P

Still awesome to finally see Roy's grandpa tho'

22. - Top - End - #202

Rich Burlew and Roy Greenhilt - working together to show how an enemy can be "drawn and quartered."

23. - Top - End - #203
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'd say that's a safe bet - and should Roy have a son some day, a stack of gold says he'll go against dad and toss spells for a living.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My stack of gold says that Roy would be OK with that. I get the feeling he's smart enough to realize the lesson to learn from Eugene and learn it.
    Wait. I think I just failed a spot check. Really? I don't see anything. Exactly.
    Goblin Ninjas: Ummm... We're like RIGHT here. Wait! I think I just failed a listen check.

24. - Top - End - #204

BardGuy

Go, Go Family Rangers!

25. - Top - End - #205

Quote Originally Posted by cloneof View Post
    Go, Go Family Rangers!
    They're fighters.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Zentei's Law
    Fanclubbery list:

Miko fanclub.

Roy fanclub.

Hinjo fanclub.

The Chief fanclub.

26. - Top - End - #206

Quote Originally Posted by Fluff View Post
    Casting Spider Climb requires the subject eat a spider. This is a great way to get the party to trust you. Then feed them black widows. Does this qualify as alternate spell use?
    Actually, handing them the black widow to eat and then casting giant vermin instead of spider climb is a little more apt.

----

As for the sword, If they have an area of monsters just hard enough to give you a challenge, they need a store that has "arms without costing you a leg".
    Last edited by silvadel; 2007-10-23 at 12:06 PM.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Pixie in the Playground

Wahahahahahah, I wonder who they were....silly mid level evil doers and neer' do wells, plane shifting is for epic level neer do wells and evil doers
    ONLY MEMBER OF THE KEEP HIM IN THE DARK FANCLUB

House of Kato's "Chief Serf of Sanitation" "Vice-Assistant-Weekend-Chief Serf Executive"

28. - Top - End - #208
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Freelance_Henchman View Post
    How the **** is this *filler*!? We meet a new character, who is developed immediately because he is thrown into a situation where we can learn something about his disposition and abilities. We even learn something about his relation to his son and now his grandson.
    And in a strip, maybe two, maybe none, the character will vanish from the story, effectively never to return.
    There is no apparent role for Gramps in the story beyond this one-shot. We have Roy as the fighter, so he is not getting raised, and once this heaven series is done, we don't expect to be back. So there is no future for this character. And if at the end of this book somebody discovered there were 201 pages and they only wanted to print 200, we seem to be able to just snip this page out without trouble.
    So all we have here is a nice little strip that takes up some space.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

You're overthinking this.

When Roy died, he dropped his sword. When Roy appeared in heaven, his Spiritual Self Image was the same as the exact moment of his death. Horace, having been around the Celestial Block a few times, imagines having his sword with him, so therefore he has it.

In other words, all Roy had to do was think he had a sword, and he would have had it. But because he is a newly minted soul, straight from the Prime, he hasn't learned all of the Celestial Tricks yet....

.... either that, or Rich thought it would be funnier to have Horace toss him a sword in the middle of a battle.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

30. - Top - End - #210
    Pixie in the Playground

Totally enjoyed the comic today. Although, if you have evil parties planeshifting into heaven, are there good parties that planeshift into hell to try to kill things to get XP?