New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Coronavirus is at my job

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    The masks they gave us are pretty massive. Like, a centimeter or two in front of my nose and mouth, they block a lot more angle downwards than I thought.
    Sounds like a mask that is way too large for you. These are supposed to be right up against your face...you know to block you breathing out around it.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Colossus in the Playground

Nah, it fits tight, I checked that. It just seems to be made of pretty thick material.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

3. - Top - End - #93
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Klorox View Post
    Just an update: our hospital in NJ was completely converted to a coronavirus hospital.

I work in a department that was totally not made for this. A department that has 10 patient bays, not rooms, no doors between people, no walls, only curtains.

There was no where else for these people to go. Basically, walking into my department was like walking into a patients room, all day.

We have N95 masks, sure, but the people sent from other departments to help had the full hazmat suits with internal air supplies.

We’re coding about an average of patient a day, and none came back.

I think it’s only a matter of time until much of my staff starts getting sick.

I haven’t seen my daughter for 6 weeks now.

The second wave will come, especially with these nuts wanting to go out and getting stir crazy.
    Eek.

First, it's awesome your name is Klorox and you're in healthcare.

Second, any additional updates?
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post
    What I've read is that if your glasses are fogging "You're doing it wrong" -- the breath is supposed to be going through the mask, not around the mask, otherwise much of the point of the mask (filtering particles from your breath) is lost. I've never been able to reach that ideal, though.
    I'm reminded of how at some point there were questions about everybody using masks, of some kind, (naturally at a point where there was a massive shortage) and the answer given back was "yes, but most ppl can't use them effectively anyway so we want to save them for the ones who really can use them ie medical personnel".

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    I'm reminded of how at some point there were questions about everybody using masks, of some kind, (naturally at a point where there was a massive shortage) and the answer given back was "yes, but most ppl can't use them effectively anyway so we want to save them for the ones who really can use them ie medical personnel".
    Actual medical grade masks SHOULD be saved for medical personnel. General face coverings are what is being recommended for the more general public.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post
    What I've read is that if your glasses are fogging "You're doing it wrong" -- the breath is supposed to be going through the mask, not around the mask, otherwise much of the point of the mask (filtering particles from your breath) is lost. I've never been able to reach that ideal, though.
    I've read that, in fact, that is a mistaken assumption. That what the mask does is redirect the breath away from the person you are speaking to. For a full filtering, it would need to be a fully hermetic mask, and that is not something that a folded cloth and a couple of rubber bands are going to accomplish against the power of the human lungs expelling air (a speed of about 1 m/s, google tells me).

Not sure what it the "correct" answer, mind you - it might be that I am doing it wrong, but if so, not sure how I could fix it. I cannot mold the cloth around my nose so that the air doesn't escape around it, short of super-gluing it in place.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-04-29 at 08:32 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

7. - Top - End - #97
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Chen View Post
    Actual medical grade masks SHOULD be saved for medical personnel. General face coverings are what is being recommended for the more general public.
    Correct. We had a very scary time when we were dangerously low on proper PPE, but we seem to have caught up now.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    Eek.

First, it's awesome your name is Klorox and you're in healthcare.

Second, any additional updates?
    LOL, thanks.

“Flattening the curve” seems to have helped. The hospital has plenty of cases, but we’re not overwhelmed anymore.

My unit is slowly going back to what it’s supposed to be like. We were housing Covid + patients for a while and My unit was not built for that. That being said, we didn’t have a choice. We were literally overrun with patients and the hospital had nowhere else to put them.

2 of my coworkers on my unit had tested positive, which made our work much harder for the two weeks they were gone.

Today is the first day in a long time that things really feel like they’re getting better. We have a less-than-usual patient load, but we’re here doing the type of work we’re supposed to. We have a full staff for the first time in almost a month.

Even better: this Friday should be the first time I see my daughter since early March. I miss her so much and can’t wait to spend the weekend with her.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Default corona virus fears

I know there's a corona virus thread about the science of it, but I wanted to start this as a "I'm scared/nervous" thread, where we could talk about how nerve-wrecking the direct or indirect effects of the pandemic or lockdown has/have been.

I've been relatively very fortunate. I still have my job, and I am able to work from home; it's stressful and harder than working in the office, but at least I don't have any major financial concerns, and I'm trying to appreciate the benefits of time with the family. Except very recently, nobody close to me has gotten the virus, and still nobody in my close family has it.

But, like, yesterday I went out to do a grocery run, and felt like crying afterwards from the fear of "what if I catch it". I'm not very afraid of dying from it, or even the direct discomfort of being really sick. BUT the idea of my kids suffering from getting sick, or being removed from me or my wife if we had to go to the hospital, or just being left alone if we died--that's terrifying.

Also, that riots are happening downtown sometimes is scary. I don't have to go downtown currently, and I live close but not in downtown, but it's something when I hear ambulances or police almost every night. (Most of that is likely there's a hospital nearby, but in light of riots having happened, it makes the sound a lot scarier.) That's not really related to the virus, but the idea of "if I have to go back to work, don't know if I'd feel safe traveling home at the end of the day" is an added stress.

So, anyway, I know I'm a lot better off than a lot of better in the present situation; I hope my mentioning my minor issues isn't offensive to anyone who is a lot worse off than I am. But I felt like it might be helpful to post something where folk can vent or just say something like "yeah, I feel that".

10. - Top - End - #100
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: corona virus fears

My personal cure for all worries is to live in the moment
    Get your physics out of my D&D!

Proudly Chaotic

Optimism is delusion pessimism will save the world

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

I hear you. I'm an 'essential' worker, so I've been working nonstop since this whole thing started. And my anxiety has been through the roof. It's become 'normal' for me to have a panic attack a couple of times a week. Eventually, being under so much stress for so long, I just sort of became numb to it. It's weird how well we can acclimate to just about any kind of scenario if we have to deal with it long enough.

So far, I've been lucky. I try not to go out unless I have to, and when I do, I always wear a mask. I keep a safe distance from everyone. And I wash my hands regularly. But it's been quite nerve-wracking. My state has been hit hard and they recently mandated wearing a mask in public, so hopefully that will help.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Getting an "essential worker" job is a big part of what's pulled me out of my own head and allowed me to be somewhat functional again.

Now I'm just watching other people stuck in a downward spiral. I want to help, but I don't know how. Especially since I can so rarely be there for someone in person.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

send them a card
    Get your physics out of my D&D!

Proudly Chaotic

Optimism is delusion pessimism will save the world

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    I know there's a corona virus thread about the science of it, but I wanted to start this as a "I'm scared/nervous" thread, where we could talk about how nerve-wrecking the direct or indirect effects of the pandemic or lockdown has/have been[...]

As I mentioned in another thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    In a few hours I'm going in for my third Covid-19 test this year, my cough is less than it was but I still have the sore throat I've had since March 15th, an x-ray last month should that I had pneumonia, but the previous two Covid-19 tests came back negative.

It's weird, back in April my crew of City and County of [Lankhmar] workers were given the task of making sure the morgue abandoned a couple of years ago could be quickly used again in case the bodies piled up and overwhelmed the new one.

During the last decade I've had to do repairs in there (and a couple at the new one), which was never pleasant. Right now (if it comes to that) they're probably going to use refrigeration trucks (like New York has), but (thankfully!) so far it looks like we're being spared what Italy and New York have experienced.
    Most days I go up to the Jail to do repairs, and now my temperature is read each time. I'm asked "Do you have any symptoms?", and I (truthfully) tell them "Since October" (since everyone else with experience repairing the jail fixtures is retired or on disability there really isn't anyone to replace me who actually knows how to do the usual repairs anyway).
    In the last several weeks the jail has been emptied out, cells that used to hold a dozen men now hold one to four. Otherwise in [Lankhmar] the streets are nowhere as empty as they were in late March but masks are ubiquitous now, and finally last week bookstores have been reopening!

My third test came back negative, my cough is minor now (nowhere near as bad as my late March/April one, or the cough I had last October and November, my sore throat is still bad, no fevers though.

I worry about catching and bringing the disease home to my wife and her sons (most of my work has been in a jail that has had some positive tests of deputies and inmates), my Mom has long had poor lungs and I worry about her.

So far [Lankhmar] has faired comparatively well (we had "shelter-in-place" earlier than most) but there's massive flare ups in the nearest State Prison, and a big increase in cases down State in [Imrryr, Melniboné] and that's worrisome.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!