New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: IC Lords of Ruin (Spheres PF1)

The guard responds, "Do you see that support arch?' He points to a arch of carved metal supporting the stone above, which lies just past the few buildings you see behind him. "Anybody with giant blood triggers it. It will compel you to leave and render you increasingly sick if you try to stay. I was not officially designed to work against giants, but that is its current attunements. Enter the building I mentioned behind me, give your name and reason for entering, and they will place a special arcane mark. It suppresses the mythal's affect on you. Any violence or crime you try to commit will remove said mark, placing you under its effects again."
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2020-04-30 at 06:48 PM.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

He who laughs last doesn't get the joke.

Spoiler: Stuff I Wrote
    Show
    Elite Races

Goliaths [Part One, Part Two]
    Axiomite
    Nephilim

2. - Top - End - #152
    Colossus in the Playground

Krova pauses, then looks to her allies.

"Can any of you examine these mythals and markings? I am not comfortable with being touched by magic I am not certain of the nature of."

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ettin in the Playground

"If I hadn't seen what I'd just seen..." Volistad grumbled but didn't finish his thought out loud.

"Let's see. I might know a thing or two about this."

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+20)[23] Spellcraft (Bluff) via Pageant of the Peacock

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Volistad is taken aback by the massive surge of sensory overload as he tries to decipher the mythal's properties. Tfhe only thing he could sense was an overwhelming degree of Abjuration energy (in terms of spheres, it would be a blend of Protection and Fate). His pupils constrict to near pinheads,

Spoiler: Effects on Volistad
    Show

He is both dazzled and dazed for (3d4)[7] rounds.
    It would feel like staring directly at the sun, while standing 20 ft away from its surface.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ettin in the Playground

Volistad covered his eyes and staggered away. It took him almost a minute to regain his composure.

"It's... it's powerful. I'll give it that."

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

As Krova inspects the guard, she detect neither deception nor malice. Though he does have have some irritation regarding giants, it seems to be more a matter of his upbringing (dwarves tend to have an innate emnity towards giants) as well as the tensions brewing during the war.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

7. - Top - End - #157
    Troll in the Playground

Calben Traser
    Perception +4|AC 23 (+4 vs giants), Touch 12, FF 22, CMD 15|Fort +6 Ref +4|HP: 54/68

"So. We are in. And for lack of a clear plan, I suggest we take the lay of the land and see what the good citizens of Mzarik say in these troubling times." He rubs his hands together gleefully. "And yes, by that I do mean hit the taverns."
    Semper ludens.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Seems reasonable enough. We are not truly a diplomatic delegation, so we're unlikely to be admitted to see those in charge.

He turns back to the guards. Unless you are aware of anyone we could talk to about helping the war effort?

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

The guard responds, "We are doing what we can in order to remain neutral. Any help we give one way or the other would threaten that status, which we can ill afford at the moment. Even if I was aware of anybody, I would not tell a group of five random strangers and their two pets."

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground

"Well then, who better to provide aid than a crew of random strangers you can happily deny having any dealings with?"

11. - Top - End - #161

"I am going to stay out here," Krova informs the group. "The mark, it is too far for me."

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

With that, the group sans Krova enter the registration center, where a Dwarven woman with an odd looking stamp, motions Volistad to step forward to her desk.

"I assume the guard informed you about the rules regarding the mark? This provides you shielding within the mythal. Should you attack or break any standard laws like committing theft and such will remove the mark, subjecting you to great discomfort until you leave Mzarik. We recognize that more nuanced laws specific to specific cultures may put restraints outside of the stronghold, so regarding that, it is hit or miss regarding the mark. If you are incapacitated by the mythal, one of the town guards will deliver you back to the checkpoint outside of the Ward's vicinity. Now, hold out your arm, so I can give you the marking."

Meanwhile, outside of the checkpoint there is a tavern, a bank, and a trade shop for purchasing souvenirs and other trinkets.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground

Calben Traser
    Perception +4|AC 23 (+4 vs giants), Touch 12, FF 22, CMD 15|Fort +6 Ref +4|HP: 54/68

"Before we go Krova...". Calben rummages around for a few seconds and comes up with a pewter mug. He says a quick phrase in Gnomish, then hands the mug to Krova. ""A ward against Fire Giants. Keep it out in the open, and they won't want to get anywhere near you. Just to be safe. Should last until evening.""

Spoiler: The spell.
    Show
    Powerful Lure to repel Fire Giants. For the next 10 hours, Fire Giants of 10 HD or less won't go within 200' and Line of Effect, or remain there, unless they pass a Will save DC 21.
    Con damage to my companion (1d4)[4]. Fort save vs Addiction DC 10 (1d20+6)[22]
    Semper ludens.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

The attendant asks Volistad to extend his arm. As he does so, she takes the stamp next to her and presses it onto his skin. The mark itself is not truly physical, and it sits just above his actual skin, and it sheds a luminous glow of pure green. The image it produces is a stylized shield.

After placing the mark, the attendant says, "If violence or some other crime occurs at the hand of a third party, the mark will stain them, which Mzarik guards can use to track them. While in the city, you must refrain from fighting, due to the potential for escalation in an already tumultuous time. Thank you for your cooperation and stay safe."
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2020-05-18 at 06:21 AM.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

15. - Top - End - #165

"Oh, thank you. This is an unexpected kindness," Krova says as she accepts the cup and uses one some of her clothing to hang it from her neck. "I will have to buy you a meal at some point. Or something."

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

"Right. So if I'm attacked, it'll mark the attacker. What do I do in the meantime? Hold up my block until the guards arrive? Honest question. I know the magic is strong, but is it that discerning?"

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

"In staining them, as long as they are within the mythal's range, it will inflict the same sort of issues you would suffer should you attempt violence. Typically, it is enough to ground them and render them helpless. Typically, this is enough to deter it, but you never know. The mark can sense intent, so if you trip and fall on somebody, it will not trigger the mark."

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ettin in the Playground

"Powerful magic indeed. Good thing I'm not here to cause trouble anyway. Might as well get on with it."

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

----------

Party sans Krova

As the group steps through the arch, there is a mild flash followed with a light thrum that lasts a few seconds. This is mirrored on Volistad's mark.

As they walk down the stairs leading down from a tunnel, the cavern opens up into a truly colossal space, revealing Mzarik in all of its glory. Despite being far from the sun, there is no lack of light, as several of the city's furnaces produce an ambient reddish-orange glow.

The air is thicker with the scent of sulfur and the heat becomes more intense, almost like a sauna. There are many, many buildings, not only on the floor, but running up the walls instead. There is a light din caused by metal striking metal that echoes along the walls making it impossible to pinpoint. In the center, towering above the other buildings, a large, palatial tower sits, it is simultaneously attached to both the floor and ceiling of the cavern and made of what appears to be Adamantine.

The streets themselves are relatively calm, though it is easy to spot several Dwarven workers going to and from various sites. There are also a few tunnels dug into the ground along the city's periphery, seemingly leading to other sites outside its range.

----------

Krova

As she watches the rest of her group descend into Mzarik proper, she notices that this checkpoint has a number of buildings outside of the main registry and guard barracks. A faint sound of music coming from one of the buildings that seems to be a tavern of some sort. The other buildings are more non-descript as the craftsmanship seems to have deliberately focused on making said structures as identical as possible.
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2020-05-20 at 04:54 PM.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

20. - Top - End - #170

Krova decides to poke her head into the building with the music, suspecting that a handy map would be out of the question.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Krova

As she enters the tavern, the first thing that hits her is the smell, not a bad smell, but one that is definitely unique. It bears the flavor of several exotic drinks, some augmented by spider venom or rare mushrooms, others with more earthy scents, as if infused with a small amount of volcanic pumice. Its potency is enough to drown out the sulphuric scent outdoors.

In addition, the air is notably cooler, perhaps magically insulated. The light casts a cooler blue radiance that, despite its relative dimness, is still more than enough to see by.

The place, while not crowded, does have several patrons enjoying their food and drink. The bartender is a scarred, yet fit and young female Halfling, which is highly unusual in this region. The music Krova heard earlier is soft jazz, with it's smooth brassy tones.

Toward the back of the tavern, silhouettes of a few figures
    seem to permeate the light misty air that seems to mute the room. On one side is a stout figure flanked by two larger figures, most likely goliaths, all of whom seem to be facing an even smaller figure. They stand out as their movements seem quick and deliberate as opposed to the more pacified customers in the tavern.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

22. - Top - End - #172

Krova's first instinct is to approach the well-built halfling at the counter, because why not? But then she sees the silhouettes in the background and, well, she has not heard of many good things happening when three very large people bear down on a smaller one. So she strolls over to them to see what's happenin'.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Xerxes politely stops one of the dwarves. Pardon me, but could you tell me where we might find a tavern?

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Eshegan is a bit leery of the whole magical compulsion thing... but in the end, they weren't planning on starting any trouble anyway, and if this was what they had to put up with to drive the giants out, perhaps it might be worth it. Although if the dwarves were officially maintaining neutrality, it might be difficult to actually find help. Maybe a powerful family with their own reasons to throw in some aid?

A tavern seems like a good place to start - likely won't find what they need, but will probably get them pointed in the right direction, at least. He nods to Xerxes in approval and follows along for now.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Within Mzarik

As Xerxes addresses one of the dwarves walking along one of the roads, the soot covered man stops to listen. The dwarf is covered in soot and grease, probably a mechanic by trade. Seeing Volistad, he averts his gaze from him as he responds to Xerxes.

Pointing down the street he says, "The Pick and Hammer is about two or three blocks in that direction. It isn't the best, but it is the closest. Now, if you will excuse me, I have places to go." With that, he walks past the group and continues on his way.

Krova

As she approaches, she notices the smaller figure is a male gnome. The stout figure is obviously Dwarven, but his skin is darker than normal and gleams with an almost metallic luster. It suggests he is not from this area, possibly coming from across the ocean. The two figures flanking the exotic dwarf are definitely goliaths, but neither Jotunblut nor Muspelblut. On has greyish skin, giving the appearance of stone, rough and porous. The other has a beige tone to his skin, looking like brushed sandstone.

"You backed the wrong fighter yet again. That makes your debt 10,000 gold. That last bet pushed you over the very generous leeway I gave you. Time to pay up, or my . . . compatriots here will teach you that gambling is a dangerous vice." As he says this, the greyish goliath cracks his knuckles menacingly in order to emphasize the dwarf's point.

Shaking and obviously, the gnome responds, "I'll get the money, Ferron, I swear. Please, don't hurt me, I just need more time." he cowers, almost prostrate before the dwarf.
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2020-05-22 at 10:12 PM.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

26. - Top - End - #176

Krova pokes her head in on the conversation. "Hello, sorry to interrupt, but it sounds like you're being kind of a ****," she tells the dwarf. "Threatening to beat someone up is a huuuuge **** move, especially since it sounds like, no offense, it sounds like this is the kind of predatory gambling that engineers these problems in the first place. You should probably not organize things so that desperate people end up with no money and so you have to kill them. That's kind of your fault if you do that; perhaps you should set up your gambling on smaller bets that don't rely on money the gamblers don't have. That way, you'll still earn money, but you won't have to go around harassing people in taverns, which really seems like a waste of time, you know? And, like I said, you kind of seem like a ****."

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Krova

The dwarf looks at Krova with a glint of amusement. "I see we have a heroine over here. I suggest you mind your own business, unless you would like to dance with my friends here. Truth is, this gnome is tapped out. He has no more money to pay his debt off. Yet, he still serves a purpose. By becoming an example, it should motivate others who decide to make use of my services to pay up when due."

He motions to the grey skinned Goliath who steps in front of Krova, blocking her from the dwarf and gnome.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ettin in the Playground

"Wonder if I'll get the same treatment at the inn, or if I should have just waited outside with Krova," Volistad muttered after the dwarf was out of earshot.

29. - Top - End - #179

Krova looks the goliath in front of her up and down.

"Okay, I have two questions, my friend. You do know that your boss is a ****, yes? I mean, I could tell, and I thought I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, but what he did was pretty rude. I'd work for a baker or something where you don't have to put up with that. Aaaanyway. Do you know if violence is prohibited here? I don't want to punch you or anything, you're probably a cool guy, but I would kind of like to bend him - Ferron, I think was his name, over my knee and give him a little smack for being a naughty boy. Just a liiiittle one."

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

The Goliath lets out a heart laugh, "Aye, that would be a sight to see. Unfortunately, money trumps humor."

Spoiler: Initiative rolls
    Show

** This battle will be mostly narrative in nature, as it is annoying for me to change the map to such a small enclosure with people and tables. Makes it more homefield advantage for Krova, as smaller places are difficult to strike in, but easier to grapple with less chance of being attacked by another opponent, shame you don't have Barroom Talents, I feel like it would round out the whole Professional Wrestler motif quite nicely**

Krova's Initiative (1d20+2)[6]

Grey Mook's Initiative (1d20+1)[14]
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2020-05-26 at 05:20 PM.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim