New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: IC Lords of Ruin (Spheres PF1)

Krova

The stone-skinned Goliath places his hand on Krova's chest. With a sharp exhalation he pops his hand forward about an inch. Poised to follow through, he advances suddenly, driving himself towards her to follow up.

Spoiler: Attack
    Show
    Grey Mook shoves Krova vs Touch AC (1d20+11)[16]
    Crit? (1d20+11)[20]
    Damage 8 and is battered (Krova takes -2 vs CMB and cannot make an AoO against a maneuver).

He follows through with a Bull Rush maneuver (failure of the first part prevents battered condition, it he still bull rushes)
    Bull Rush (1d20+13)[19]
    If successful, applies Dazed and Confused attack vs Will (1d20+6)[17] if effect succeeds, Krova is staggered for 1 round.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

He who laughs last doesn't get the joke.

Spoiler: Stuff I Wrote
    Show
    Elite Races

Goliaths [Part One, Part Two]
    Axiomite
    Nephilim

2. - Top - End - #182
    Colossus in the Playground

"Okay, I would like everyone to note that I did not start this. We all know this, yes? Good," Krova says, as she steps to the side of his shove and attempts to seize his arm behind his back.

Spoiler: Action
    Show
    I have: 2 tension. I'm going to spend both of those to do a grapple as my AoO using Opportune Grapple from Strong-Style Grappler.

I get +1 attack due to my Shamed story feat.

(1d20+19)[27]

3. - Top - End - #183

Krova successfully grabs his arm, then slips under it, planting one leg between both of his as she seizes the other. and yanks behind his back with the full force of her body, stretching out his back as he's seized.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Krova gains 1 tension due to a successful grapple.

Goliath takes 7 nonlethal damage and has a -5 penalty on his next grapple check. He also has all the standard grappling penalties (-4 to Dex, -2 to attack rolls and combat maneuver checks) at an additional -2 thanks to Hammerlock.

Krova is also activating Snag as a Swift action, in order to apply the Battered condition.

Then, Krova uses her full weight to pin the goliath to the ground, still keeping him trapped in her hold while she remains standing and balanced.

Spoiler: Grapple check
    Show
    (1d20+24)[30]

If succcessful, Krova pins the goliath to the ground. He takes an additional 7 nonlethal damage. Krova also gains another tension point.

4. - Top - End - #184

"Okay," Krova says, now that she has the goliath utterly at her mercy. "See, that is what happens when you try to shove strangers. You rude, rude boy."

Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Ending my turn.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Krova

Ferron glances at Krova and says to the tan Goliath that is still standing by him, "Please help deal with this distraction, it seems she is particularly annoying."

Grabbing a drink from the table next to him, he rapidly quaffs it down, belching loudly. He steps forward and swings the empty mug at Krova's face.

Spoiler: Tan Mook's Actions
    Show
    First is gaining and expending the Drunk condition for Menacing Belch, which functions as Dazzling Display. Your resistance to it is not based on your will save, but rather it is 10 + your level/hit die + your Wisdom modifier. If he overcomes that, you are shaken for 1 round + 1 round for every 5 he beat your defense by (Grappling rules I am not to sure of, but I have played my fair share of demoralizing builds). Main take away is that it drops your attack rolls, skill checks ability checks, and by extension, CMB by 2 (though does not affect AC or CMD).

Grabbing and drinking the mug is a move action.

Menacing Belch Intimidation check in 30 ft radius as a free action (1d20+10)[12]

Tan Mook takes a 5ft step and attacks with an Improvised Weapon [roll]1d20+11[/b]
    Crit (19+20/x2 and Fragile)? (1d20+11)[17]
    Damage (1d4+5)[9] (Bludgeoning)
    If Crit (using Fragile to confirm, making the mug Broken) add (1d4+5)[7] damage.

If hit, damage will penalize your CMB next round by that amount

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Krova

Krova easily dodges the mug that is swung at her and found the belch more disgusting than intimidating.

Meanwhile, the grey mook tries to squirm his way out of Krova's pin.

Spoiler
    Show
    Grey Mook's CMB vs Krova's CMD (1d20+11)[21] (can only escape with a natural 20)

Krova will still have roll to maintain the grapple on her turn even if the grey mook fails to extricate himself

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

7. - Top - End - #187

"Who belches at someone? Honestly?" Krova tuts as she attempts to keep her grip on the pinned goliath.

Spoiler: Maintain as Move action
    Show
    (1d20+24)[44]

8. - Top - End - #188

She does so ably and quickly adjusts her grip so that she's using one of her legs to keep his head and arms pinned.

Spoiler: Pinned Goliath
    Show
    Takes 7 nonlethal damage and remains pinned. He also takes Krova's unarmed damage as nonlethal: (1d8+8)[13]

With her hands free, she attempts to snag and grab the other goliath who just attempted to whack her with a mug.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Swift for Snag: (1d20+15)[19] vs touch AC

Grapple: (1d20+19)[37] If successful, takes 7 damage and us Grappled. Krova will gain 1 tension.

...well, I assume a 37 is successful.

Krova seizes the attacking goliath by the approaching arm, yanking him down and into a tight headlock.

"Okay. Can we stop this? I do not want to have to pin anyone with my teeth."
    Last edited by Hazuki; 2020-05-28 at 03:03 PM.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

The dwarf rolls his eyes at the display. "Well, that's what I get for getting cheap labor. Look, Nickels, you pay up or this will get much, much nastier than this." His form seems to flicker a bit before disappearing entirely. The Mook's remain bound by Krova's grasp.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

10. - Top - End - #190

"What a ****," Krova mutters, then looks at the grappled goliaths. "Okay. Promise me that you won't try to punch me if I let go and I will let go. Otherwise, I am going to have to choke you out, and just think about how embarrassing that would be."

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Krova

The goliaths submit. As Krova lets them up, they slowly back away until they reach the door and leave.

The previously cowering gnome addresses Krova, "While I realize you were trying to help, unfortunately, you have made things worse. I was safer when he did not see me as a threat, but now he will come at me with much more hostility, not simply killing me, but making it a slow, torturous death, something he would most likely show his other debtors to ensure they are compliant and punctual with their payments."
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2020-05-28 at 05:03 PM.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

12. - Top - End - #192

"I wasn't trying to help you," Krova tells the gnome as she dusts off her hands. "I just thought he was an *******."

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Krova

"Well, after that show you put on, he will most likely come after you as well, and he will most likely take the kid's gloves off when he does."

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

14. - Top - End - #194

"Eh, will he, though?" Krova shrugs. "He did not seem to care very much."

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Krova

The gnome replies, "Oh, it is most likely not out of spite, but more of a business thing. From what others and I have dealt with, he tends to have the same demeanor at all times - condescending and controlling. Not showing emotion one way or the other is a power play on his part. For him, his image is the aspect he defends the most. You delivered an insult to that image by readily handling his guards. He may be calm and cool, but his reprisal will most likely be swift and brutal. It is why he is so feared, as you can never really tell when he is content or angry."

Edit - Stupid phone is causing annoying typos
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2020-05-29 at 06:44 AM.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Within Mzarik

The group heads down the street the local denizen had indicated. They eventually see a rather oddly lit building. When they get closer, they can see the sign actually uses glowing fungus to depict its name as well its logo, which is a hammer and pick crossing each other. As they approach the door, a strong scent of cloves permeates the air around it, possibly to cover the sulfur smell that flavors the air in the rest of the city.

As they enter, the room is filled with a thin, but notable smoke, again carrying a scent of clover. There are several areas of cultivated glowing fungus to light and color the room in pink, green, yellow, and white. Seated at the bar and tables are a few dwarves, some of which are physically different from than others you have encountered. There are a few with an olive complexion with a sort of metallic complexion in there skin and seem far less dirty or heavily muscled as the others, and others who have a darker grey appearance, but seem more ethereal in presence, as they seem to blend into the grey stonework forming the walls.

The room itself is actually rather large, larger than you would have initially suspected from the outside, as it seems the room tunneled deeper into the stone along the outside cavern. There is a stage, where you encounter another notable sight. It is a female Muspelblut singing lounge music, her mark of passage visible on her arm.

You can also see and smell freshly cooked food and notice an interesting device behind the counter that seems to be boiling and filtering water. The bartender herself is on of the more olive/metallic skinned dwarves, and she has a few gnome workers helping her serve the other customers.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

17. - Top - End - #197

"Swift and brutal in a tavern just outside the heavily-guarded entrance to the city?" Krova asks. "What would happen if I decided to spend all of my time sharing stories and handshakes with the guards?"

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Krova

Nickels responds, "Ah, right, you probably did not recognize it. Do you remember how Ferron's form flicker out. He is skilled at Illusion and Remote Viewing, he was projecting his image and using it to scry. While you saw a heated argument and the one Goliath's effort to push you away may have been seen, but when he flickered out, he did so in order to focus on a different spell; he cast a glamer that masked any further violence. He's a weasel, but he knows how to make it seem his hands are clean. Also, keep in mind that Mzarik is but only one city down here, he is centered at a nearby Fire Giant City, it is where the fights he manages are held. While he sends his Mook's, he does not deign to come in person."

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ettin in the Playground

Volistad's eyes held on the singer for a moment. "Seems like my kind of place. Maybe this is where the more amenable types hang out, which makes it exactly where we want to be."

He walked up to to the bar to order drinks for himself and his companions. "First round's on me."

20. - Top - End - #200
    Troll in the Playground

Calben Traser
    Perception +4|AC 23 (+4 vs giants), Touch 12, FF 22, CMD 15|Fort +6 Ref +4|HP: 54/68

Calben drinks in the sights and smells with a smile on his face. He saunters up to the bar. "Madam! A mug of your house ale, if you please!". He leans in. "And if the lovely lady up there needs a break, I can tell the tale of Victor the Paladin and his struggle against the goblins of thistletorp". Above Calben's head, an animated, slightly translucent tapestry shows an armored knight setting out on a fine warhorse.
    Semper ludens.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground

"And then I could tell you a true tale of the warrior who held the Hallstadt gate against a mob of orcish reavers," Volistad added with a scoff.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Mzarik Group

The Dwarven bartender slides both Calben and Volistad a mug of ale. What sets it apart is an usual color, mostly a reddish tint and a bubbling, frothy head. It smells of rich volcanic soil augmented by a light, bitter taste finishing with a light sweet after-taste, which neither of you can quite place. The active bubbling of the drink suggests an active chemical reaction, as the ingredients form a solution yet retain their individual flavors.

The bartender addresses them, "At the moment we are booked, but later you may audition for the owner. Unfortunately, he is not here right now, as he went topside to buy and bring back more supplies."
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2020-06-02 at 12:46 PM.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Krova

Nickels (the gnome) looks at Krova, analyzing her build. "You know, you have a great build and seem to know how to fight rather well. You ever think of competing? There's a lot of money to be made there. Besides, it could be lucrative for both of us. At the very least, it could help me square my debt with Ferron."

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

24. - Top - End - #204
    Troll in the Playground

Calben Traser
    Perception +4|AC 23 (+4 vs giants), Touch 12, FF 22, CMD 15|Fort +6 Ref +4|HP: 54/68

Ale in hand, Calben starts working the room.

"Gentlemen, m'lady, you would not believe what it takes to get to Mzarik these days. So, after I helped these lumbering longshanks escape the war camp, we were trekking through the mountains..."

He freely shares the story of his capture and escape, setting himself up at the start to be the hero but letting slip that he did very little himself, and exaggerating the prowess of his allies rather than his own. He is fishing for word of others willing to stand up.

Diplomacy: 24
    Last edited by CasualViking; 2020-06-03 at 12:57 AM.
    Semper ludens.

25. - Top - End - #205

"That is a terrible idea," Krova replies, glancing at the gnome. "You have just told me that Ferris holds a grudge. I will have to fight tough opponents in an arena, or whatever, and will then be weak for if he decides to send a murderous mercenary at me."

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Mzarik

The crowd finds themselves enraptured by Calben's tale. Several leave him some tips

Spoiler
    Show
    Calben earns (1d10)[4] silver, and many are much more amenable to him.

Krova

Nickels considers Krova for a moment, "Indeed, he does hold a grudge. How do you think he will react to your previous display. Humiliating his muscle will most likely result in future attacks. However, you could nip it in the bud by facing his goons in the arena. Earning a title affords renown, sufficient renown to afford you some political protection against his reprisal."

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

27. - Top - End - #207

Krova pauses. "You also said that the fights he manages are in a fire giant city. Is the arena also there? Because that would be a problem for me. As you can see, I am not a fire giant."

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Krova

"Aye, the arena is in fire giant territory. However, they like entertainment just like anybody else. No matter your race, if you make the matches enjoyable enough, they may be more impartial with regards to your race. Downside is, well, if you are not, you may have a short career. The other thing is that they love to gamble. If you are skilled enough, being an indirect source of revenue for a few may abate their prejudices.

"You would not travel the normal route to reach them. As I mentioned, Ferron uses a hidden, although not secrer tunnel. There are more like it, and they are standard for arena participants. It keeps you out of the fire giants' hair and out of their city proper, leading directly to the competitors' stables. They'd only see you in the ring, which is blocked off from their city aside from stadium seats and walls of force providing a strong, but transparent barrier at its edges."

Spoiler
    Show
    In the event you may be somewhat offput by the term "stables" to describe the holding area for competitors, it is actually a fairly standard term IRL. I know it is used in Sumo and possibly Muay Thai as well.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ettin in the Playground

Volistad was also chatting up anyone he could, trying to get a feel for the disposition of the city and its people—beyond their clear disdain for his kind. At this point, he felt any information might help.

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy via Perform (Oratory): (1d20+18)[19]

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Mzarik

Volistad's efforts seem to at least soften the patrons in the bar, though not to the point of showing any personal preference for him. Still, it does aid him a bit in gathering information.

Among the rumors, he hears about a few good smiths having traveled deeper underground in search of ore and other supplies. They are long overdue for their return. Beyond that, he also discovers that several of the forges have started to dwindle as they are running low on fuel due the self-imposed trade restrictions that have cut off their suppliers.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim