New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: IC Lords of Ruin (Spheres PF1)

Krova

Despite Nickels' persistence, he senses that Krova won't bite no matter how hard he tries.

At a nearby table, one of the exotic looking dwarves with olive skin approaches her, flanked by two grey skinned dwarves she suspects are duergar. She speaks to Krova, "Well, you can certainly handle yourself, and not just in a fight, but you also have enough sense to turn down such an idiotic proposition as the one presented by this gnome."

She motions to her coterie, "My crew here has stumbled upon some maps supposedly leading to a stash of great wealth. Unfortunately, we do not know what or how much that wealth may be, nor do we know what we may face along the way. However, if you are up for the adventure, you would be entitled to a cut. The tunnels do not pass through Mzarik, so you would not need to deal with the mythal. What say you? Interested?"

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

He who laughs last doesn't get the joke.

Spoiler: Stuff I Wrote
    Show
    Elite Races

Goliaths [Part One, Part Two]
    Axiomite
    Nephilim

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ettin in the Playground

"Seems we'll have to go down and find those smiths then. Might be able to get a smith on side, find the materials we all need while we're down there, and win the gratitude of the community at large. What do you all think?"

3. - Top - End - #213
    Colossus in the Playground

"Hello," Krova says to the Dwarf. "It was a bad idea, yes, though he is also desperate for money and things, I think. Why are you coming to me instead of proper mercenaries?" she asks, then pauses. "And I should tell you that I have a group in the city who will be quite upset if I am gone when they get back. I assume - I do not know them well, I admit."

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Krova

The Dwarven woman replies, "Due to the current situation, most mercenary are already fighting for one side or the other, or their cost for recruitment has sky rockets and it does not make much business sense to acquire one. As for Mzarik, they don't really have the manpower to assist me, even in their neutrality. Also, they don't house mercenaries, at best they may have a wandering soldier with some sad-sack take of how they were wronged and forced to flee. Most tend to be all flash and no substance, whereas within my first few seconds of seeing you, you took out two thugs without a scratch and yet maintained control so as to not cause permanent injury. Something tells me you are perfect for the job."

She then uses her hand to indicate the two gray dwarves behind her, "This is all I could find in my currently limited budget. As for yourself, you would be entitled to your own share, which may be negotiable further down the line. No use in hashing out the details, as it is a mostly unknown region that even those who normally dwell more deeply, such as my Duergar hirelings here, tend to avoid. However, the potential value of such riches seemed too great an opportunity to pass up."

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground

"Yes, obviously" the gnome replies.
    Semper ludens.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Mzarik

Talking to the various patrons reveals the location of the tunnel they entered, but not much beyond that. It sits on the outskirts of the main city, which also has the benefit of leaving the range of the Mythal. A few of the Dwarven patrons also indicate that there are pockets of natural gas along that path. Additionally, the tunnel gets close to some of the geothermal activity as well as having surfaces covered in obsidian, a form of volcanic glass. Such patches risk exploding due to variations in temperature and air pressure. Finally, the heat itself is present at certain points, and it is potentially lethal due to the effects of convection.

Spoiler: Natural Gas
    Show
    In case you are unfamiliar with Natural Gas, it does not have an odor or appearance. Any odor you may have sensed in RL is a result of adding a substance to make it smell for the sake of safety. Typically, this is why miners carried birdcages with canaries inside (the song Canary in a Coal Mine references this). If in a dangerous area, the Canary may die, in which case you should probably get out of the area.

As for obsidian, it forms the sharpest edge known to man when it breaks. It is so fine an edge that doctors used to use it for scalpels while performing eye surgery.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

7. - Top - End - #217
    Troll in the Playground

The sensibly sized sorcerer suggests: "We should get a good night's rest and an early start tomorrow. *I* will perform such healing as I can. I don't know what else we will need" . He waves his hands dismissively, to suggest that the others handle that, and goes off to haggle for lodgings.
    Semper ludens.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Mzarik

The group is able to secure two rooms above the tavern for the night's lodging. Designed for dwarves and such, the beds are lower to the ground and the mattresses are mostly stone padded by a few blankets. On the plus side, the rooms cancel out the sounds of the bar, so they are not kept awake by that.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

Calben Traser
    Perception +4|AC 23 (+4 vs giants), Touch 12, FF 22, CMD 15|Fort +6 Ref +4|HP: 61/68

At breakfast, something is hovering near Calben. It is a ball of leafy vines, somewhat reminiscent in size and shape of a gnome curled up in a foetal position. But hovering above Calben.

"Gooood morning, my heroic companions. I have secured healing for our brave quest. Have any of you secured a small bird and everything else we will need?"
    Semper ludens.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ettin in the Playground

"I can get a small bird, I suppose, if anyone has one for sale down here. Aside from that, what do we need? Food. Clean water to last us between sources. Climbing gear. What else?"

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Mzarik

The bartender mentions that there are trading post near each tunnel, which tend to sell anything and everything the that is needed for travel further into the mountain, which includes caged canaries. Additionally, she describes how to locate the area the missing group traveled through.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground

"Perfect. I suppose we can ask those vendors what we'll need. Or maybe one of you should, so that they don't 'accidentally' overlook something important and get the big dumb Muspelblut killed."

13. - Top - End - #223

"Eh... Sorry, but there is too much to keep me from going. Perhaps if my companions were here, I would, but they are not, and so I can't. I do not think it would be wise for you, either, but I am not your mother." Krova shrugs. "Thank you for the offer."

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Krova

The dwarves leave the tavern, with the leader shrugging her shoulders in concession to Krova's response.

Looking around the room, the tavern seems oddly empty. The Halfling bartender suddenly appears next to Krova, tugging at her pant leg. "If you are so hell-bent on staying here and waiting for your friends, I have something that you could do for me, and I will pay you for it."

The halfling motions to a door at the back of the tavern. "In order to help earn enough to maintain the bar, I have had to set up certain events. The current one is a sort of speed dating competition. I could use your assistance setting it up. Supplies are in the back there, much of it for setting a theme. I could certainly use assistance, since this is new for me."
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2020-06-22 at 10:56 PM.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

15. - Top - End - #225

Krova glances at the bartender as she's addressed and shrugs. "I suppose that is a thing I can do, yes. Do you just want me to carry things?"

16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground

Calben Traser
    Perception +4|AC 23 (+4 vs giants), Touch 12, FF 22, CMD 15|Fort +6 Ref +4|HP: 61/68

Calben strides confidently over to the vendors by the relevant tunnel.

"Greetings. We are off to look for the missing miners. We need a canary, a guide if anyone is brave enough, fresh water, and what else you have for air supply in case of gas?"

"Also, is there a path from the main gate here without getting marked for the Mythal?"
    Last edited by CasualViking; 2020-06-23 at 09:06 AM.
    Semper ludens.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Krova

The bartender hands Krova a clipboard with a checklist. "Setting up is the first part, tables need to be moved, place cards set, and some banners hung for decoration. After that, on the next page is a list of applicants. They need to be confirmed and checked off and directed towards their initial tables. Let's see . . . my servers went home for the day, so you may be asked to serve drinks. Also, if things get out of hand, you are a big girl and seem to know how to non-lethally neutralize assailants, that would be appreciated too. Given that several different races are scheduled, intervention may be needed if things get too heated. If you wish, you may participate as well, as the set up has the applicants work in rounds, not all are active at the same time. Up to you. Unfortunately, not sure how much I can pay, as while their entry fee is paid, a lot of the income would potentially come from drinks sold."

Mzarik

The proprietor of the trading post points to several of the shelves, indicating the various items Calben requests. He then calls over one of his employees, a grizzled old Duergar, who steps forward and introduces himself, "Name's Salty, so you need a guide eh? I've been working these tunnels for over a century, know 'em like that back of my hand.

My charge is normally 100 gp, but I take 10 gp up front, and make the rest contingent."
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2020-06-26 at 12:17 PM.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

18. - Top - End - #228

"Oh, it is a good thing I know how to read," Krova says as she accepts the clipboard and starts to look over it. "We can talk about pay after it is all done if you would like; that way we both know how much has been made, yes? And I can handle all of these things. Easy."

19. - Top - End - #229

Krova started to do her job.

Spoiler: Profession
    Show
    (1d20)[10] I think I have a +1? Not sure.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Troll in the Playground

Calben Traser

"You are hired!. Now, we left a companion in the tavern outside, who didn't want to submit to the Mark. If there is a way for her to get here, that would be useful. If not, we will press on without her. Let's go!"

Calben picks up the caged canaray, and distributes the other items to the rest of the party.
    Semper ludens.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ettin in the Playground

"Hmm. Gonna have to ditch some of this kit to make room for the tank," Volistad noted as he began pulling items out of his pack. "Don't suppose we're gonna need torches any time soon. Or the old camp stew pot."

Spoiler
    Show

At some point, Volistad will leave behind the 10 torches and iron pot from his Fighter's Kit, which should free up enough weight to carry a 30 lb tank within his unbuffed Light Load.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Xerxes snaps out of his reverie. He had been lost in thought for far too long. We can help share the burden, if you would like. The Beast is mighty, and I'm no weakling myself. We may want a smaller stewpot though.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    The Beast's light load is 519 pounds, it can carry a lot.
    Last edited by PotatoGolem; 2020-06-28 at 11:02 PM.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Mzarik Tunnels

The group readies itself by the southern wall, where a wide mouthed tunnel stretches before them. "Y'all ready? 'Cuz here we go!" Salty exclaims.

As they travel down the tunnel, it feels like days have passed rather than hours. Mostly nondescript, the most memorable parts were where patches of luminescent fungus grows. After a few miles, Salty raises his hand to halt the group, placing one finger in front of his mouth to indicate they need to be quiet. He then points out some strange substance on the cave wall, which seems a bit thicker and certainly far more pungent than the normal fungi that they had passed. He motions to the group to tread carefully as he scouts ahead.

Krova

"Well that'll do for now. You might as well get ready at the door to sign in the applicants," the barkeep instructs.

She hands Krova a list of names, along with their seating numbers. The barkeeps says, "Being the first time I've done this sort of thing, I did not have any sort of screening process to work with. I won't have ruffians or predatory individuals sully this bar or harm the other applicants. If you notice anything untoward or nasty from anybody, check them off and let me know. At first, I will simply observe them, and if they are unable to cease any poor behavior, I'll have you 'politely ask them to leave,' if you get my meaning." The halfling gives a smirk and winks at Krova.

Spoiler: Krova Rolls
    Show
    The list has 20 names, 10 male and 10 female. You should make 20 Sense Motive rolls and I 'll give you the skinny based on how well you roll.
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2020-06-30 at 07:51 PM.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ettin in the Playground

Volistad knew just how loud he was, and stayed well back from their scout. He squinted suspiciously at the cave fungus but didn't ask.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Troll in the Playground

Calben Traser
    A few minutes into the tunnel, long before the mold, Calben calls out. "Lads and gentlebeings, huddle up for a moment, please, to get your vitality boost. Daelthyr, if you please!" . The plant-like orb following him floats down. Calben puts a hand on it, and gestures for the others to do so as well. It glows briefly for a moment.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Five targets max. I'm assuming Calben, Volistad, Xerxes and the Beast. If Salty doesn't want to be #5, or the beast doesn't want any, my companion will affect itself as #5.
    Spoiler: The effect
    Show
    Those affected gain Fast Healing 1 for 8 hours, to a maximum of 80 hp healed.

Afterwards, Calben takes a ring from the vine orb and puts it on his own finger, before continuing down the tunnel.

At the mold, Calben steps carefully forward, taking his time to get through.
    Semper ludens.

26. - Top - End - #236

"As you wish." Krova gets ready to study the guests.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Hope this works 'cause I don't wanna roll 20 individual ones. Oh, and add 13 to these.

(20d20)[20][2][13][12][14][16][14][13][8][11][15][10][8][6][8][17][2][1][3][17](210)
    Last edited by Hazuki; 2020-07-01 at 08:08 AM.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

The Tunnels

Heeding Salty's warning, the group slows. Volistad, keeping his wits about him notices something strange about the webbing. It is starting to dissolve, meaning it was not made recently, nor has it been maintained for a while.

Despite his vision lacking color, Volistad does notice some fungal growth along the walls further down, getting thicker in that direction.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

This fungus is odd. I do not believe I have seen it before. Are any of you familiar with it?

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ettin in the Playground

"No, but it's getting thicker as we go on. And the webbing here is old—giant spiders forced were out by the mold maybe?" Volistad ventured.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Dark Tunnels

Just as Salty raises his hand to slow the group, he pulls out a large and very powerful looking Crossbow. As he pulls it back to knock the bolt, he steps forward and seems to vanish from view. Faint outlines of his movement remain, similar to the heat shimmers faced earlier.
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2020-07-07 at 07:53 PM.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim