New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Lightspeed Elves

Trying to recall a bit of trivia...

Does anyone remember the feat that increased the speed of elves, when surrounded by other elves with the feat? And does anyone recall the calculated number of elves you needed to reach lightspeed, since the bonus to speed was untyped?
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Lightspeed Elves

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Trying to recall a bit of trivia...

Does anyone remember the feat that increased the speed of elves, when surrounded by other elves with the feat? And does anyone recall the calculated number of elves you needed to reach lightspeed, since the bonus to speed was untyped?
    Are you sure that's a thing? Because as of PHB3, you explicitly can't accumulate untyped bonuses from "the same named game element". The example given in the text makes it clear that it doesn't matter how many people are offering the bonus.

I didn't hear about such a concept before, but I'd assume it's based on PHB1's "Light Step" feat, which could be taken by elves and therefore also by half-elves. Ignoring the "same named game element" thing you'd need a traveling group of elves/half-elves with a number of people equal to 'c' divided by 5 feet*, minus a very small integer. It comes to a little under 197 million, very approximately the population of Nigeria today. Any number of allies could travel with them at the same speed (the mix of races, classes, feats, items and so forth determines the precise 'very small integer' to subtract). It'd only work outside combat. The group's DC to be tracked would increase by as much as +30 -- no more, because that aspect of the feat specifies a max number of beneficiaries.

* or by 7.071 if all movement is diagonal and a square equals 5' on a side, but let's stick with one can of worms at a time, please
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

3. - Top - End - #3
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Lightspeed Elves

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    Are you sure that's a thing? Because as of PHB3, you explicitly can't accumulate untyped bonuses from "the same named game element". The example given in the text makes it clear that it doesn't matter how many people are offering the bonus.

I didn't hear about such a concept before, but I'd assume it's based on PHB1's "Light Step" feat, which could be taken by elves and therefore also by half-elves. Ignoring the "same named game element" thing you'd need a traveling group of elves/half-elves with a number of people equal to 'c' divided by 5 feet*, minus a very small integer. It comes to a little under 197 million, very approximately the population of Nigeria today. Any number of allies could travel with them at the same speed (the mix of races, classes, feats, items and so forth determines the precise 'very small integer' to subtract). It'd only work outside combat. The group's DC to be tracked would increase by as much as +30 -- no more, because that aspect of the feat specifies a max number of beneficiaries.

* or by 7.071 if all movement is diagonal and a square equals 5' on a side, but let's stick with one can of worms at a time, please
    Yeah, but that's as of the PHB3... there were a couple years where it was possible.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.