New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Animal Crossing: TVs that Look like Apples

So if you didn't know, there's a new version coming out for the Switch next week. Instead of having a town, you're dropped off on an island as part of some sort of devious plan by a raccoon to profit off of you.

Personally, I think I may pre-order. The last week or so has been... stressing and at the same time everything fun is being shut down. It's a happy game with happy people that I haven't played an update to since I had the original for Gamecube.

Anyone else looking forward to it or have memories of the series?
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Animal Crossing: TVs that Look like Apples

I know next to nothing - my son and I will be playing it together on release day. Very excited, from what I hear the multiplayer is different than what I am used to with other franchises.

3. - Top - End - #3

If it's anything like the series used to be, everyone gets their own house and you all share the town
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

4. - Top - End - #4
    Spamalot in the Playground

A LOT of my IRL friends are playing, and I bought it for my partner who seems to be enjoying it. Not my kind of game at all but I can see the appeal for others. (As a new homeowner, I get enough excitement with real life mortgage payments )
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

This is the first Animal Crossing game I've played, and so far I've actually liked it much more than I'd have guessed. It's just kinda fun and relaxing, and it does help I've got a couple of friends playing it too, so it's also a nice topic of conversation.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Majin View Post
    This is the first Animal Crossing game I've played, and so far I've actually liked it much more than I'd have guessed. It's just kinda fun and relaxing, and it does help I've got a couple of friends playing it too, so it's also a nice topic of conversation.
    I think its aggressive utoptianism came around at the best possible point for the game. I know a lot of people in locked-down areas are playing it.

That's not to say you can't assume sinister undertones. I'm pretty sure that I'm helping that evil raccoon build a combination rogue state/cult
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    I think its aggressive utoptianism came around at the best possible point for the game. I know a lot of people in locked-down areas are playing it.

That's not to say you can't assume sinister undertones. I'm pretty sure that I'm helping that evil raccoon build a combination rogue state/cult
    Well, he's really a youkai tanuki (geddit?), as is the kappa Kapp'n(though I haven't seen him yet). Maybe we're waking up some cthonic thingummybob with all the island-making.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I mean, the player is the only human who appears in those games, so something weird definitely is going on.

Also with how some games just put you in charge of pretty big stuff.
    In the best case they're just making a honest mistake, but otherwise?

Hopefully you're just the patsy for some illegal operation. I mean, looking at New Leaf, why did the actual mayor never show up?
    Clearly they knew something about what's going on.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

9. - Top - End - #9
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

My wife and I got copies on release day and we're both playing. I enjoyed the original Gamecube version a great deal and this feels like it captures a lot of the feel of that. I never played New Leaf.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

There's a lot of features that New Leaf had they cut in New Horizons, all of which make me sad. Still love the game, especially now that Bunny Day is finally over.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    There's a lot of features that New Leaf had they cut in New Horizons, all of which make me sad. Still love the game, especially now that Bunny Day is finally over.
    Speaking of which: conspiracy time.

Who was Zippy and why does the nature of the game cause people to assume dark conspiracies are around every corner?
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12

Speaking of which: conspiracy time.

Who was Zippy and why does the nature of the game cause people to assume dark conspiracies are around every corner?
    Zippy is, of course, the real name of a rabbit who dresses up in a costume as a different rabbit and deliberately poorly disguises the fact the it is a costume, all to hide the fact that he is, in fact, a rabbit.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

cool Re: Animal Crossing: TVs that Look like Apples

Hi all. Just caved in and bought the game. I'd like to get to know you, maybe trade some fruit or send a few letters.
    Just started on my island so nothing's here yet except a few peach trees and tents for Phoebe and Sterling.
    My switch code: SW-0925-5651-0510

Any tips for a first-time player? Any days or weekly events to prepare for?
    Now I'm thinking with ponies!

3DS friend code:
    2449-5207-9736

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by SKarious View Post
    Hi all. Just caved in and bought the game. I'd like to get to know you, maybe trade some fruit or send a few letters.
    Just started on my island so nothing's here yet except a few peach trees and tents for Phoebe and Sterling.

Do not eat fruit before mining a rock. It will permanently remove it, and it's a key resource for crafting.
    Buy the pocket organizer ASAP, and unfortunately you just missed a big flurry of events.

edit- oh and don't worry about losing trees when you eventually pick spots for new residents. Saplings are cheap once you get the shop open, and putting all the houses in a neat block saves space
    Last edited by MCerberus; 2020-04-14 at 04:48 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Do not eat fruit before mining a rock. It will permanently remove it, and it's a key resource for crafting.
    Buy the pocket organizer ASAP, and unfortunately you just missed a big flurry of events.

edit- oh and don't worry about losing trees when you eventually pick spots for new residents. Saplings are cheap once you get the shop open, and putting all the houses in a neat block saves space
    If I'm not mistaken, destroying a rock will cause one to spawn somewhere else on the island the next day.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, destroying a rock will cause one to spawn somewhere else on the island the next day.
    This is correct. It's good if you have one spawned in an inconvenient place.

I've managed to get 3 of my rocks within spitting distance of each other, which is super convenient.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

Speaking of rocks, there's a trick where you dig two diagonal holes a block away from the rock to keep you in place as you hit it repeatedly. There are more detailed pictures out there that show you better. Well, I've gone a step further and replaced digging those holes with fences, so now I have that permanent aid. Plus, it counts as decoration, so it improves your town rating a little bit too.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralCheez View Post
    Speaking of rocks, there's a trick where you dig two diagonal holes a block away from the rock to keep you in place as you hit it repeatedly. There are more detailed pictures out there that show you better. Well, I've gone a step further and replaced digging those holes with fences, so now I have that permanent aid. Plus, it counts as decoration, so it improves your town rating a little bit too.
    I always found it easier to dig three holes in a row behind me.
    Of course that means I have to replace my tools slightly more often in New Horizons, so using fences or other decorations sounds like a good alternative.
    Being able to decorate outside your house is great

In other news Tom Nook is still the same [honest business man] as ever.
    Oh well, beats being a mayor.
    At least this time I didn't have to pay for the stuff that needed building.
    No surprise the real guy never showed up.

Also, did they remove the art section from the museum or do I have to unlock it?
    The guy who usually sells the art pieces forgeries seems to be in at least, but if I can't put it in the museum I don't see the incentive for buying.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Of course that means I have to replace my tools slightly more often in New Horizons, so using fences or other decorations sounds like a good alternative.

At least this time I didn't have to pay for the stuff that needed building.
    No surprise the real guy never showed up.

Also, did they remove the art section from the museum or do I have to unlock it?
    The guy who usually sells the art pieces forgeries seems to be in at least, but if I can't put it in the museum I don't see the incentive for buying.
    From what I heard Blathers builds the new addition after you give him the art so he can justify doing so.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    From what I heard Blathers builds the new addition after you give him the art so he can justify doing so.
    The funny part is, he told me exactly that when I walked into the museum this morning.

21. - Top - End - #21

Aw, I liked being mayor.

Had anyone had Redd show up more than just the initial visit and the second one showning you his boat? My wife and I both have yet to see him again despite checking on a daily basis. His spawn rare seems way too low.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

I've had him once since, and so has my friend.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Aw, I liked being mayor.
    I mean, technically you still have the same job, it just comes with a different name.
    And more options, now that I think about it.
    It just feels less like I'm given some important job.
    Maybe because the island starts with two other people, not counting the Nooks and the flying dodos.

I just always thought the way you got the job was either very silly or highly suspicious, depending on how you look at it. The letter the actual guy writes you makes me lean towards the latter.

Rune Factory 4 is in a similar place, with making the amnesiac who fell from the sky prince(ss), but here it never felt off the way it did in New Leaf.

They're still great games, but the start...

24. - Top - End - #24

I mean, technically you still have the same job, it just comes with a different name.
    And more options, now that I think about it.
    It just feels less like I'm given some important job.
    Maybe because the island starts with two other people, not counting the Nooks and the flying dodos.

I just always thought the way you got the job was either very silly or highly suspicious, depending on how you look at it. The letter the actual guy writes you makes me lean towards the latter.

Rune Factory 4 is in a similar place, with making the amnesiac who fell from the sky prince(ss), but here it never felt off the way it did in New Leaf.

They're still great games, but the start...
    I liked the office I got to have, with the executive chair and everything.

Also, it was more than a bit suspicious, but also very silly. Which, given the inherent silliness in the game to start with, is pretty thematic.

25. - Top - End - #25

I've seen Redd a grand total of twice so far on my island, and once on my sister's island. I'd definitely like him to show up more frequently if I ever want to complete the art gallery, and still buy some of the funny fake art.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

I've had Redd show up 3, maybe 4, times. He's a rare one that fox.

Museum is coming along nicely. I've caught all the May bugs and I'm only missing one of the new pier fish left to catch, but i'll be danged if they're not being super elusive.

My island is still a terrible mess of rampant flower growth, random musical instruments and a ramshackle village though and only recently has my big project, an outdoor wrestling arena, started to look closer to the image in my head (and even then I might still relocate it). I've got a lot of work to do.

Also, does anybody know if there is any point to your Happy Home Academy score beyond the 150k needed to get the gold trophy? If not I'm likely going to fully redecorate my house. The accursed Bunny Day room can take a hike!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SKarious View Post

I'm guessing by now, since your post isn't super new, but I wanted to be sure: have you got all fruit trees? If you need help with anything, from clothes to bells to items, feel free to let me know

Quote Originally Posted by truemane View Post
    My wife and I got copies on release day and we're both playing. I enjoyed the original Gamecube version a great deal and this feels like it captures a lot of the feel of that. I never played New Leaf.
    That's so cute! Do you visit each other's islands? The GameCube version was amazing in so many ways! It really hit me when I didn't play for years and plugged my GameCube on a whim, and I had a few sad letters and the town had weeds all over it. 😩

Oh these are both really good ideas!!! I'm just harvesting rocks like a damned rookie! I'll be doing this from now on, i believe I haven't seen this tip on Twitter or the many places where you find tips.

I love how much we can decorate now, AND customize a lot of items! I didn't play New Leaf but I think it was more like NH than other versions.

Bunny day was the worst. I had eggs all over my island like some sort of pastel weeds, for weeks after bunny day was over.

What is missing from New Leaf? My animal crossing xp comes from GameCube and the pocket camp editions.
    Last edited by N7Paladin; 2020-05-24 at 01:10 PM.
    For free sketches: click here

Why do players who mostly play Wizards have a superiority complex? Who hurt you? Did the martial classes touch your no-no place?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Just out of curiousity I looked up which visitors show up when.
    It goes:
    On a random day from Mo. to Fr.:
    Saharah, Leif and Kicks
    always show up, plus randomly* two of:
    Redd, Mabel(before the shop is build), Gulliver, Flick or C.J.
    Saturday's K.K. and Sunday Daisy Mae.
    So, having Redd show up is down to luck it seems.

Also, I'm really bad at fishing.
    Especially at building a chain of catches
    That hundred catches reward is as far away as on the first day.

But at least my house is complete.
    The basement gives me a nice space for the rewards from the Wedding-Photo events.

*With a preference to whoever didn't show up last week.

29. - Top - End - #29

Is that how the visitors work? No wonder it always seems like those three are there. I kinda wish leif and kicks appeared less often though; there are only so many flowers/bushes/shoes I need, and I could really use more art and places to sell bugs and fish.

30. - Top - End - #30

PirateGirl

Zippy is, of course, the real name of a rabbit who dresses up in a costume as a different rabbit and deliberately poorly disguises the fact the it is a costume, all to hide the fact that he is, in fact, a rabbit.
    I seem to recall Tortimer, the mayor of the town in the original saying he would not be available on Bunny Day. As I recall, he had a very bad excuse for why he would be gone that one day only.
    I write a horror blog in my spare time.