Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default The Pokémon Trainer Challenge

After arriving on Domus Isle, Tana makes her way through the diverse and bustling crowd to a queue into the Challenge HQ, her Poochyena, Pepper, trotting alongside her. She sees some staff dressed in suits with turquoise armbands walking down the queue, talking clamly to impatient trainers. She glances up at the bright-blue sky and spots a middle-aged man with swept-over blue hair and a smart red jacket looking out over the crowd from a balcony above; Green Bay's Pokémon expert, Professor Sap. After an hour or so of waiting, she makes it to the front desk, where a friendly-looking woman smiles up at her.

"Hello, in order for you to join this year's Pokémon Trainer Challenge, I must request that you give me your Pokédex to be adapted to this region. Also, due to the large number of trainers applying today, you will have to undergo each of the Challenges in teams of three. Are those your teammates with you?"

Having come alone and unsure what to do, Tana turns around to see Ema and Loft, both equally alone and having overheard the woman, in the queue behind her.
    Last edited by thedanster7000; 2020-03-13 at 12:07 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Pokémon Trainer Challenge

Waiting in lines is boring and takes forever, but Tana has learned by now that, sometimes, it is necessary. Still, it takes ages to get to the front of the line... and then, once she's finally there, there's another problem. A team? She had come by herself to the islands, though that was hardly by choice. If Tana had it her way, she'd be surrounded by Pokemon all the time, but for now, she only has Pepper with her... and now, the woman is saying she needs people to compete?
    Turning to look at the two in line behind her, she grunts softly, quirking her brow at the other two trainers. At her side, Pepper steps forward and sniffs at Ema's feet, then Loft's leg, before looking back to Tana.
    Smell friends? the girl silently questions her Pokemon with a quirked brow. When Pepper wags her tail once, Tana grunts and nods once again, looking back to the woman.
    "Yeah," she answers simply, without waiting for the input of the other two trainers. She just... decides.
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

-Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Ema is dressed prim and properly for the trials to come; her uniform freshly ironed with the facilities on the boat, her hair straight, and she even took the time to shine Mochiyari's shell so she looks presentable for the officials. The Venipede stands by her feet as she shuffles through the line, just as well behaved as she is.

She overhears the woman's words and concern is about to set in - she wasn't informed of teammates, and she was sure she'd read the pamphlets the school gave her. But just as quickly as it becomes a problem, it's resolved by the younger girl in front of her. It's presumptuous to assume she'd agree...but it does solve the problem, so she doesn't raise any objection.

"Hello," Ema says softly as she steps up to the desk beside Tana and presents her Pokedex to the woman. "My name is Ema Miney. It's an honor to be here," she tells the woman, also serving the purpose of introducing her to the people who are, apparently, her teammates.
    Last edited by Hazuki; 2020-03-13 at 12:59 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

This was supposed to be his sister's journey.

She had saved up for it, planned to roll in with her trio of pokemon she'd already trained and... here he was, all because he had to power up and lay his brothers down flat. She'd stuffed him on the bus with her money, pokedex, her favorite pokemon and told him to write without a second thought. Poor Loft was already confused about this turn of fortunes as he walked up behind the other two girls, only for Tana to claim him and Ema as her teammates.

Needless to say, this doesn't help him getting a handle on anything...

"...Wait, wha?" Loft eloquently proclaims, blinking his baggy eyes and glancing down at the Machop following him. Did Deidre plan on meeting some of her friends for this? No, Diamond shakes her head; she doesn't know who they are, either, but with no further thought she playfully shoves her trainer up closer to the ladies.

"You... we... y'need to be part of a team? Um... Sure! Sure, I'm the third for this group! Who are y'all again?"
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

5. - Top - End - #5

"Very good!"

She snaps up your Pokédexes and plugs them into a console on the desk until they give off a beep. She then quickly hands them back to each of you.

"The first task is to defeat the gym leader at the peak of Infant Isle, good luck! Next!

She brushes you off to one side and begins speaking to the next applicant. The lobby of the building is of sparkling white tiles with beautiful plants and water features overlooking a neat red carpeting. It's very busy, with dozens of people and Pokémon wandering around and chattering to each other and staff.
    Last edited by thedanster7000; 2020-03-13 at 02:22 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Loft tries to ask another question, only to be nudge out of the way by the subsequent trio, and his Machop fretfully pulling him out of the way of the other kids. After a moment of awkward silence, he looks at the girls.

"Um, thanks Diamond... But, uh, M'name's Loft; can either of you ladies tell me what's going on?"
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

7. - Top - End - #7

"The League in Green Bay requires teams of three. Me and you were recruited into this girl's team," Ema explains to Loft. "Now we need to go to the peak of Infant Isle to defeat the Gym Leader and advance in the League." With that established, she looks around the lobby for a map of the local area.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

"M'name's Tana," the girl grunts when Ema simply refers to her as 'this girl'. Really, she can't be mad, she didn't introduce herself, but it still makes her frown. "This is Pepper," she adds, nodding to the Poochyena at her side. She looks down at the Machop, focusing on it for a moment.
    Hello there, she thinks in its direction.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Diamond the Machop stares at Tana for a moment abruptly caught in a mid wave, her eyes a widening. She starts tugging at Loft's vest, pointing at her head and then at Loft himself before motioning to Tana in pantomime. Loft seems to read the gesture with wide eyes.

"...Didja just talk to my pokemon, all, mystic like?" he bluntly asks of the younger child, rubbing the back of his hair, "Cause maybe this means our team up mighta been a good idea after all, um.. y'see I can kinda do stuff like that too. We should talk shop, I think as we head to the first island." he watches Ema head off, and likewise tries to get some information, looking around for the first trainer that seems unoccupied, not in line.

"Hey buddy, what's Infant Island like? You know anything about it?"

Spoiler: OOC/rolls
    Show

Um... charm I guess to get a good response from the passerby?

(2d6)[7]

10. - Top - End - #10

The man Loft hailed turns to him, surprised.

"Oh, hey. Infant? Yeah, it's mostly grassy with a mountain. There are a couple of BIG Pokémon living out there, try and stay out of their way if you can. Sorry, I'm in a bit of a rush, good luck!"

He jogs off in the way he was going, a Starly following behind him.

Ema finds a tablet stand with a digital map, showing the location of the docks that lead to Infant Isle.
    Last edited by thedanster7000; 2020-03-14 at 06:55 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11

"I found a map to the docks," Ema informs her teammates as she returns. "Shall we go now?" she asks, then heads to the docks if they agree.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Tana looks up at Loft when he speaks, her red eyes narrowing a bit. "Yeah," she grunts once again, reaching down to pick up Pepper and carry her so the small Poochyena doesn't get lost in the crowd. Speaking of lost... she glances around until she sees Ema returning, and sighs to herself. These two have a lot to learn about staying with the pack. But at least the other girl has found something useful.
    "The docks," she agrees, letting Ema take the lead since she knows the way.

13. - Top - End - #13

Ema leads the way across the courtyard and down some stairs to the docks. She shields her eyes for a moment from the sunlight reflecting off of the clear ocean. Looking around, the group sees a number of small groups of trainers and Pokémon, a large wooden building labelled 'The Grub Hut', and two ports, one closed off. The left port has a sign that reads 'Infant Isle'. A couple of Lapras wearing turquoise scarves float in the water at the end of the port. The right port is taped off. Tana hears some noises coming from what appears to be a large tunnel open to the sea, leading underneath the rest of the island's complex. There is a thin wooden plank connecting the main dock to a walkway on the inside of the tunnel.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Hearing the odd noises, Tana moves over in the direction of the tunnel, glancing inside. She slips her Darkvision Goggles out of her bag to help her see a little bit better.

Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    (3d6)[12]

15. - Top - End - #15

Ema watches Tana slink in the direction of the tunnel and shares a look with Machi. "What are you doing?" she asks, following and watching the other girl put on a pair of odd goggles.

16. - Top - End - #16

Tana stops at the plank and peers into the tunnel with her goggles on. She squints and spots what appears to be a moving blob. After a few moments its face comes into view; a Grimer!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

"Gross!" Tana says, making a face and hurrying away from the tunnel entrance, bringing Pepper with her. She points back to the tunnel when the others ask what she is doing. "Grimer!" she informs them.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Loft, once again confused starts walking towards the docks until Diamond tugs at his shirt hem and shepherds him towards the girls. Just in time to hear of Tana's discovery.

"A what's down there?" he bluntly asks, scratching his chin, 'Maybe we should just leave it alone?"

19. - Top - End - #19

"Perhaps we should report it to the League," Ema suggests. She's familiar with Grimer; there were more than a few of them back in Kanto, though they were well-segregated from general activity. "There are children here."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Reporting it to the League seems like a good idea. Tana gives a nod in agreement with Ema's words, hoping that by doing this they aren't consigning themselves to waiting forever in another line.

21. - Top - End - #21

Ema looks for some way to let the league know - a suggestion box, perhaps a telephone or a staff member.

22. - Top - End - #22

Ema sees an unoccupied staff member and informs her of the Grimer's presence.

"In the sewers? No, no that's fine. They're mostly harmless, and the locals will sort it out anyway. No need to worry!"
    Last edited by thedanster7000; 2020-03-16 at 05:30 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

"Oh. Thank you for your time." Ema bows her head. "While we are here, may I ask what those Lapras are for?"
    Last edited by Hazuki; 2020-03-16 at 05:49 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

"To take trainers between islands. Just go climb on one of those and they'll take you to Infant Isle."
    Last edited by thedanster7000; 2020-03-18 at 01:21 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

"Thank you. Have a nice day." Ema heads towards the Lapras, making note to leave a good review for the staff member's helpfulness when she has the time. But first, the Lapras. She gazes between her two companions, the water, and the Lapras. "May I take the neck?"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

"I will ride on the shell," Tana says, seeing no problem with that. She looks over a couple of the Lapras, gravitating towards one that seems calmer than the others. Hello, she greets it mentally. I ride?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

"I'll sit wherevers... I can swim pretty good if I fall off..."

Being the doormat that he is, Loft follows after Tana, perfectly content to allow her to choose which ride they take to the island, his spirits finally starting to lift.

28. - Top - End - #28

The group climb onto the Lapras and it waits until they're settled before swimming off at a gentle pace. It speeds up after a while, soaring across the ocean. After what seems like at least an hour, Infant Isle comes into view. A gorgeous beach is overlooked by a grassy cliff, with plains and woodland leading up to the base of a huge mountain, a building visible at the peak. The Lapras comes to shore and the sun shines from behind the mountain. From here, both a Pokémon Center built into the cliff face and a small group of Pokémon further down the beach are visible.
    Last edited by thedanster7000; 2020-03-18 at 01:21 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Ema swallows a squeal when the Lapras speeds up, clinging tightly to the Pokemon's neck and quickly recalling Machiyori to her Pokeball lest she fall off. By the end of the ride, she finds her limbs a little stiff even though her shoes are miraculously dry. She carefully dismounts the Lapras, takes a moment to ensure she won't fall off, then turns to face it.

"Thank you for the ride," she tells the Lapras and gives it a gentle stroke on the neck. Then she looks to her traveling companions. "Should we go to the Pokecenter first? they might have a map of the area or advice on how to get to the mountaintop."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

"A map," Tana agrees with a nod, pleased to have companions that thought before they acted. That wasn't always one of her strong suits, so already she is seeing the advantage that's come of traveling with a group. Packs are always better, aren't they? Checking to make sure the other two are following, she heads down towards the Pokemon Center.