New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Feats that inflict conditions & similar

Apart from the ambush feats in Complete Scoundrel and Drow of the Underdark, what feats allow noncasters to inflict (or greatly improve your ability to inflict) conditions like confused or deafened, or similar penalties like difficulty speaking (Throat Punch)? The only others I know of are:

Player's Handbook
    Improved Trip
    Stunning Fist

Complete Warrior
    Freezing the Lifeblood
    Hamstring
    Intimidating Rage
    Kiai Shout (& Greater)
    Pain Touch
    Weakening Touch

Have I missed any? In particular, all of these except Improved Trip and Intimidating Rage are aimed at Rogues and Monks, are there any others usable by other classes?

EDIT: there are a few in the Epic Level Handbook, but obviously they're only available to epic characters.
    Last edited by Biggus; 2020-03-14 at 12:27 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Feats that inflict conditions & similar

Player's Handbook II has Brutal Strike (if you hit someone while using Power Attack, you have a chance to cause the sickened condition for 1 round) and Intimidating Strike (if you sacrifice a specific amount of BAB, you can make an enemy shaken for the rest of the encounter, but you can't worsen the condition)

Drow of the Underdark has the infamous Imperious Command feat. If you succeed on an Intimidate skill check to Demoralize, the enemy cowers for 1 turn, then is shaken on the next. While it relies on the Intimidate skill, it still imposes a new condition.

Player's Guide to Faerun has Dreadful Wrath, which acts essentially as a dragon's frightful presence ability, but activates whenever you charge, make a full attack or cast a spell.

If you use the SRD, there's the Knock-Down feat. If you deal at least 10 points of damage on a melee attack, you gain a free trip attempt. Requires Improved Trip.

While not a condition, the Expanded Psionics Handbook has the Stand Still feat, which stops the movement of a creature if you strike them with an Attack of Opportunity.

Those are some that come from the top of my mind.
    Retooler of D&D 3.5 (and 5e/Next) content. See here for more.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrandtoluc View Post
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.
    T.G. Oskar profile by Specter.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Doomspeak (Champions of Ruin) applies a massive -10 penalty to attack rolls, saving throws and skill checks for a round. With a fairly high DC as well (10+Character Level + Charisma Modifier). While it requires bardic music to use there are some melee classes or PRC's that grant it without requiring bard levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Tracking these down has cemented my desire to make a Stunning Fist build at some point. There are so many flavorful feats based around unarmed strikes and Stunning Fist in particular. (Not relevant to this list, but my favorite of these feats has to be Stonewalker Fist, which lets you alter the elemental composition of your fist to punch through armor. That's just awesome.)

Improved Feint (SRD): bluff to impose the flat-footed condition
    Improved Grapple (SRD)
    Scorpion's Grasp (Sa): grapple opponents you hit with a light or one-handed attack.
    Defensive Throw (OA): make a trip attempt against an opponent that misses you.
    Ranged Pin (CW): This feat would be so awesome if it scaled at all. Grapple at range by pinning their clothing to nearby objects.
    Stunning Fist (SRD): ... and a whole lot of feats with it as a prerequisite.
    Choke Hold (OA): knock pinned opponents unconscious.
    Falling Star Strike (OA): blind your opponents
    Fist of the Heavens (BoED): evil creatures stunned are also staggered their next turn.
    Pain Touch (CW): victims of Stunning Fist are also nauseated the turn after they're stunned.
    Paralyzing Fists (DotU): successfully hitting with 2 stunning fists also paralyzes.
    Pharaoh's Fist (Sa): All adjacent creatures also have to save versus the stun.
    Rattlesnake Strike (Sa): Inflicts a 1d3 Con/1d3 Con poison instead of stunning.
    Unbalancing Strike (OA): Knocks opponent off balance (natch), denying them Dex to AC and giving attackers +2 to hit.
    Frightful Presence (Draconomicon): inflict fear effects when you cast a spell, full-attack, or charge.
    Curling Wave Strike (Sto): like Cleave, but for tripping.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

What about maneuvers from ToB? I mean, they are accessible via Martial Study feat. And there are a few maneuvers that inflict several types of conditions. Even rare and odd ones like no AoO for the round and such things.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Thanks for the replies, keep 'em coming!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    Tracking these down has cemented my desire to make a Stunning Fist build at some point. There are so many flavorful feats based around unarmed strikes and Stunning Fist in particular. (Not relevant to this list, but my favorite of these feats has to be Stonewalker Fist, which lets you alter the elemental composition of your fist to punch through armor. That's just awesome.)
    Check out Book of Exalted Deeds, there's a bunch of stuff for natural attacks and Stunning Fist there. Most of it isn't very good, but it's an option.

On that note, Touch of the Golden Ice, BOED. All your natural attacks get Dex damage poison ravage. 1d6 initially, 2d6 1 minute later, DC 14. Not much that matters will be failing the save except on a 1, but for a Monk or similar, you'll get enough attacks that the big bosses WILL fail their saves.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Shield Slam (Complete Warrior)

Boomerang Daze (Races of Eberron)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Aleval School (DotU pg 56) - Sacrifice 1d6 Sneak Attack Damage for -2 to one save on the target. Can only be used once per round
    Anvil of Thunder (CW pg 112) - Hammer+Axe Fighting style, forces a fort save or be dazed if both hit successfully in a round.
    Hammer's Edge (CW pg 113) - Sword+Hammer style, forces a fort save of fall prone if both hit successfully in a round.
    Three Mountains (CW pg 114) - mace, morningstar, greatclub style. Forces a fort save or be nauseated if you hit twice in the same round.
    Vae School (DotU pg 57) - Free trip attempt after a successful hit with a whip or spiked chain if the target is also flat footed.
    Weapon and Torch (DSc pg 47) - Weapon and torch/lantern/sunrod fighting style. Full Round attack to deal extra 1d6 fire damage and dazzle target for 1d4 rounds. requires first weapon to hit.
    Wind and Fire (SoS pg 119) - Dual Cutting Wheel style. Causes bleed after successful hit from each wheel. Bleed stacks.

That's all I've got for now.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    Tracking these down has cemented my desire to make a Stunning Fist build at some point. There are so many flavorful feats based around unarmed strikes and Stunning Fist in particular.
    Piggy Knowles had an awesome post that I consider a precursor to the Optimization Showcase in the Playground series. (Note that his build concentrates more on improving the DC than it does on a wide variety of effects.) Check out the "Birdman Stunna" as a good starting point.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

A properly optimized Power Attack tends to inflict Death with worrying frequency...

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by FauxKnee View Post
    Piggy Knowles had an awesome post that I consider a precursor to the Optimization Showcase in the Playground series. (Note that his build concentrates more on improving the DC than it does on a wide variety of effects.) Check out the "Birdman Stunna" as a good starting point.
    Hmm, interesting stuff. Thanks for the rec!
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    A properly optimized Power Attack tends to inflict Death with worrying frequency...
    and that even in 2 different ways!^^
    Either by reducing the enemy directly to -10hp,
    or just with "Massive Damage" due to more than 50dmg in a single strike and forcing a DC15 Fortitude roll to avoid death with every single hit.