Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Default Re: Battletech - A time of Total Warfare (Combo of A time of War and Total Warfare)

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    That's the intent, yes.
    Please use the stock ENF-4R at this time.
    okay reverted to the normal ENF 4R - maybe in game will get lucky and bag some clanner that can be used.
    altered backstory slightly to reflect this change

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Battletech - A time of Total Warfare (Combo of A time of War and Total Warfare)

Quote Originally Posted by Hemnon View Post
    Thanks for the relatively quick reply!
    Shorter posts are of course easier for me to write, I spent half a day just editing my thoughts on the character creation guidelines post.
    Also, I have decided to go with a character born in The Rasalhague Republic and added the Comstar Affiliation on top (should be done right according to the rules as far as I could see. No swapping or halving or anything, just an affiliation on top of a 'birth' affiliation, yeah?)
    Yes, ComStar can be thought of as a "bonus" or "mini" affiliation, 50 XP for a foot in the door at your local galactic cabal telecom corporation, and a small pile of stat changes to go with it.
    Would going War Orphan and then With Military School afterwards fit well in terms of an orphan like that picking herself up and just going straight for the 'well if the world is gonna kick me, I'll let it kick me, get stronger and learn to kick back!'?

And yeah I know that my character will automatically get a -100 xp to Reputation from being part of a Merc Company and originally from Rasalhague. Question tho, how'd a Comstar affiliation work? having been taken in through Comstar locally, as in part of the local area HPG Guard? I mean a war orphan taken in by Comstar indirectly and given a scholarship for a trip through Military School would be rather interesting.
    Plenty of small tidbids of wider skills but with a focus towards Mechwarrior Merc in the end.
    It's mostly up to you on how exactly you're going to justify a ComStar affiliation. The most straightforward concept for a war orphan in a military school is ComGuard training. Whether you're in ComStar's good graces (and perhaps a Blakist ROM agent) or trying to wiggle your way out of the Blessed Order's grasp is up to you (and one way or the other, can definitely be used as justification for various traits, or a definitely-not-suspicious Star League heirloom).
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2020-03-20 at 03:58 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Shorter posts are of course easier for me to write, I spent half a day just editing my thoughts on the character creation guidelines post.
    Yes, ComStar can be thought of as a "bonus" or "mini" affiliation, 50 XP for a foot in the door at your local galactic cabal telecom corporation, and a small pile of stat changes to go with it.

It's mostly up to you on how exactly you're going to justify a ComStar affiliation. The most straightforward concept for a war orphan in a military school is ComGuard training. Whether you're in ComStar's good graces (and perhaps a Blakist ROM agent) or trying to wiggle your way out of the Blessed Order's grasp is up to you (and one way or the other, can definitely be used as justification for various traits, or a definitely-not-suspicious Star League heirloom).
    I sorta have the same issues with having to edit myself down from time to time ^^

Good I had gotten it Right. Just curious, a Tour of Duty with ComStar as Affiliation is.... Inner Sphere, yes? Rasalhague would be a periphery one yeah?
    Also, HELL NO, my character is not a Blakist and doesn't even find more than a passing curious interest in the Word of Jerome Blake.

In that case, I would guess a ComStar Talent Hunter, so to speak, would have been scouting different Military Schools for potential youths to induce into the deeper labyrintine politics of ComStar, bringing her to Terra cuz that's where ComStar got their Sandhurst Royal Military College there. She'd then show a rather surprising aptitude for the Mech-piloting.

Also, when you say 'definitely-not-suspicious Star League heirloom', does that mean I get to roll on the star league mech list for random assignment and rarity? I would expect the regular army ones and not the Royal Elite one, yeah?

PS: I've taken ComStar Service and then Solaris VII Games Real Life choices and my character is 27, would that means she gains the aging effects on page 332-333? I would guess so, yeah?
    Also is it permitted to lower the age by a year or two to indicate special permissions or whatnot for an earlier-than-normal education and such? I am only talking around a few years like 2, max 3 years younger collectively speaking in the end.
    Last edited by Hemnon; 2020-03-21 at 07:11 PM.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome dark heresy inquisitor avatar by Emperor Ing

Gender bended avatar by Emperor Ing

.... in her party dress, also by Emperor Ing

Epic imperial Guardsman by The Architect

Youtube Account:Here.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Just so I avoid keeping on editing the same post over and over with more things, here's an additional post.

GM:
    If I choose to spend 600 XP on a Vehicle to have a Heavy 'Mech Assigned... would it then be a mech that might have been 'rewarded' to the Merc Company for hiring my character? All part of some deeper Comstar shinanigans and such of course.
    It's just I'm unsure if I should go for a Medium 'Mech my character owns, or a Heavy that is owned by the Merc Company.

Oh and are we allowed to take extra negative Traits for bonus XP within reasonable limits?
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I'm working on wrapping my head around creation now. I'm thinking of rolling up a Capellan MechWarrior who fled when his family was targeted for purging.
    I am not crazy! I prefer "reality impaired".

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright, I think I've got my character mostly done. Still need to buy equipment and write up a backstory. Though the more I look at it, the more I think I'm going to rejigger some XP expenditure to try to get my attributes higher.

Roll for mech: (1d1000)[649]

Spoiler: Personal Data
    Show

Name: Thomas McNair
    Affiliation: Lyran Alliance; Skye Province
    Height: 1m 77 cm
    Weight: 70 kg
    Eyes: Green
    Hair: Brown

Spoiler: Attributes
    Show
    STR: 4 Link -1
    BOD: 3 Link -1
    DEX: 4 Link 0
    RFL: 5 Link 0
    INT: 4 Link -1
    WIL: 3 Link -1
    CHA: 2 Link -1
    EDG: 2 Link -1

Spoiler: Traits
    Show
    Equipped (3)
    Reputation (-2)
    Wealth (1)
    Connections (1)
    Phenotype (Human)
    Vehicle (2)
    Compulsion/Traumatic Memories (-1)

Spoiler: Skills
    Show
    Appraisal +1 INT TN8/CB
    Career: Solider +3 INT TN7/SB
    Career: Technician +1 INT TN7/SB
    Computers +2 INT TN8/CB
    Gunnery: Mech +3 DEX+RFL TN8/SA
    Interest: Computers +1 INT TN8/CB
    Interest: Fire Arms +1 INT TN8/CB
    Interest: Military History +2 INT TN8/CB
    Lanugage: English +4 INT+CHA TN8/SA
    Leadership +1 WIL+CHA TN8/SA
    Martial Arts +3 RFL TN7/SB
    Medtech: General +2 INT TN7/SB
    Melee Weapons +0 DEX TN7/SB
    Navigation: Ground +2 INT TN7/SB
    Negotiation +1 CHA TN8/CB
    Perception +2 INT TN7/SB
    Piloting: Mecha +4 DEX+RFL TN8/SA
    Protocol: Federated Suns +1 WIL+CHA TN9/CA
    Protocol: Federation of Skye +1 WIL+CHA TN9/CA
    Protocol: Lyran Commonwealth +1 WIL+CHA TN9/CA
    Protocol: Mercenary +1 WIL+CHA TN9/CA
    Running +1 RFL TN7/SB
    Science: Physics +0 INT+WIL TN9/CA
    Sensor Operation +2 INT+WIL TN8/SA
    Small Arms +3 DEX TN TN7/SB
    Stealth +0 RFL+INT TN8/SA
    Strategy +1 INT+WIL TN9/CA
    Streetwise: Lyran Commonwealth +1 CHA TN8/CB
    Swimming +1 STR TN7/SB
    Tactics: Land +2 INT+WIL TN9/CA
    Technician: Electronic +2 DEX+INT TN9/CA
    Technician: Jets +1 DEX+INT TN9/CA
    Technician: Mechanics +3 DEX+INT TN9/CA
    Technician: Myomer +2 DEX+INT TN9/CA
    Technician: Nuclear +2 DEX+INT TN9/CA
    Technician: Weapons +1 DEX+INT TN9/CA

Spoiler: Combat Data
    Show
    Condition Monitor
    Standard Damage:
    Fatigue Damage:
    Stun: No
    Unconscious: No

--------------------
    Movement (Meters per Turn)
    Walk: 7m
    Run/Evade: 19m
    Sprint: 38m
    Climb: 5m
    Crawl: 2m
    Swim: 9m

--------------------
    Personal Armor (Location)

Main...(Torso)
    Armor Type:
    BAR (M/B/E/X): 0/0/0/0

Armorname* (InsertLocation*)
    Armor Type:
    BAR (M/B/E/X): 0/0/0/0

--------------------
    Weapon
    Martial Arts
    Skill:
    AP/DP: /
    Range: Melee
    Ammo: N/A
    Notes:

WeaponName*
    Skill:
    AP/DP: /
    Range:
    Ammo:
    Notes:

Spoiler: Biography
    Show
    Home Affilitaion: Lyran Alliance: Skye Province
    Stage 1: War Orphan
    Stage 2: Military School
    Stage 3: Technician College (Technician: Civilian, Technician: Mech)
    Stage 3,2: Military Academy (Basic Training [Ground], MechWarrior)
    Stage 4: Tour of Duty: Inner Sphere

Spoiler: Inventory
    Show

Itemname*

Itemname*

C-Bills:

Spoiler: Vehicles
    Show
    Vehicle Model/Name: COM-2D Commando
    Vehicle Type: Light Battlemech
    Vehicle Mass:
    Vehicle Traits:

Notes

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    N/A
    Last edited by DoctorFaust; 2020-03-20 at 08:42 PM.
    Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RandomLunatic View Post
    I'm working on wrapping my head around creation now. I'm thinking of rolling up a Capellan MechWarrior who fled when his family was targeted for purging.
    Yeah I had to do that as well, I'd recommend starting from the top, don't micromanage skills or traits or whatnot. get a feel for what Affiliation fits your concept, then go on with the childhood phases, education choice, etc. etc.

The Corona purging? Sorry, I couldn't resist.
    Last edited by Hemnon; 2020-03-20 at 09:02 PM.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Well, damn. Somehow I missed this. I traditionally run as a GM through roll20, but with the chaos in the world right now, I can understand everyone's frustration.

It looks like you got your GM and are possibly full up. Otherwise I enjoy being the person in the background. The accountant, the field general who likes staying in the mobile HQ with a map, the tech, or the field medic/surgeon to patch all you mechjockies up.

Just thought I'd pop in and voice my jealousy! Have fun! :)

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Good I had gotten it Right. Just curious, a Tour of Duty with ComStar as Affiliation is.... Inner Sphere, yes? Rasalhague would be a periphery one yeah?
    Rasalhague and ComStar are both Inner Sphere powers. Rasalhague and St. Ives Compact are relatively minor powers compared to the longer-standing Successor States, but their locations and fact that they are spun or splintered off of the larger states (and that they each have the support of at least one Great House) puts them above even the largest periphery powers of the era.
    Also, HELL NO, my character is not a Blakist and doesn't even find more than a passing curious interest in the Word of Jerome Blake.
    As a reminder, the Word of Blake is currently the official stance of ComStar at this point, and an acolyte who doesn't present at least lip service to the techno-religion would be somewhat suspicious.
    Also, when you say 'definitely-not-suspicious Star League heirloom', does that mean I get to roll on the star league mech list for random assignment and rarity? I would expect the regular army ones and not the Royal Elite one, yeah?
    I mean it more as a justification for why you would have a Star League design, not necessarily as a freebie. I'd prefer everyone be more on an even level in terms of having the opportunity to start with LosTech, so I'd prefer if you rolled on the Rasalhague table (for instance) by default, or on the SLDF Regular table with one level of Custom Vehicle. After all, ComStar isn't widely known for openly placing its agents on mercenary payrolls, any more than a Great House military would.
    PS: I've taken ComStar Service and then Solaris VII Games Real Life choices and my character is 27, would that means she gains the aging effects on page 332-333? I would guess so, yeah?
    Also is it permitted to lower the age by a year or two to indicate special permissions or whatnot for an earlier-than-normal education and such? I am only talking around a few years like 2, max 3 years younger collectively speaking in the end.
    Playing somewhat loosely with age is fine with me at this point, as long as the time frame is still relatively reasonable (i.e. the character is still roughly in her mid 20s, not suddenly an 18-year-old with nearly an extra decade's worth of life experiences).
    If I choose to spend 600 XP on a Vehicle to have a Heavy 'Mech Assigned... would it then be a mech that might have been 'rewarded' to the Merc Company for hiring my character? All part of some deeper Comstar shinanigans and such of course.
    It would either be something the company gained ownership of somehow, or it could even still technically be ComStar's. Connections and In For Life can be two sides of the same coin, after all.
    Oh and are we allowed to take extra negative Traits for bonus XP within reasonable limits?
    Yes, but please try to stay within about -5 TP (500 total bonus XP).

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

GM:

Great. I've had a few redoings tho, so went with a Lyran Commonwealth (well, FedCom, but Lyran-born and all that).
    Oh yeah, is there also a max on skills from your end? Specifically the skills of the Vehicle-operating kind.

Yeah I should I phrased that differently - My character will be part of the more conservative side of ComStar rather than the future-Jihadists.

Would you prefer I choose which table to roll on before I roll for the Mech, or can I roll and then choose?

As for the weightclass of mech, I do have both Connections and In For Life.

And is it -5 TP on TOTAL as a max, or are we talking That per Trait?

Oh and still curious about if our characters starts at an age above 25, also is affected by the Aging rules?

Yup, sorry about the continued rush of questions.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Has anybody tried using the character generator in OpenOffice? Something's borked with the module selection.
    I am not crazy! I prefer "reality impaired".

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RandomLunatic View Post
    Has anybody tried using the character generator in OpenOffice? Something's borked with the module selection.
    I just do it manually with the books, keep all counted right :p
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Would you prefer I choose which table to roll on before I roll for the Mech, or can I roll and then choose?
    As for the weightclass of mech, I do have both Connections and In For Life.
    I think the table is based on affiliation during creation if its truly 50/50 i would go with pick then roll, .. its a gm call either way
    I do not see how (Connections and In For Life) would affect the weightclass

@GM can we have more that 1 submitted character choosing 1 to play or just 1, I may opt to redo what I have to try to get that custom vehicle trait, its just not doable with the current as the points are not there for that +TP value

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    I think the table is based on affiliation during creation if its truly 50/50 i would go with pick then roll, .. its a gm call either way
    I do not see how (Connections and In For Life) would affect the weightclass

@GM can we have more that 1 submitted character choosing 1 to play or just 1, I may opt to redo what I have to try to get that custom vehicle trait, its just not doable with the current as the points are not there for that +TP value
    It was 4am I think when I posted that.
    I meant that in terms of being valid for potential 'ComStar Help' with LosTech would be forwarded towards my character.

And according to the rules, it's your 'active' Affiliation that counts if Affiliation is a question.

Anyways time to roll and I'll go with the regular Star League List - Nothing fancy or super LosTech, Just something possibly a little unique.
    Last edited by Hemnon; 2020-03-22 at 04:22 AM.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Here we go with the mech Roll!
    (1d1000)[334]

Shadow Hawk SHD-2H it is then! Might add some Design Quirks to it to make it more fun and interesting. Might not.
    Quite a regular mech tho, although Always liked the Shadow Hawk from the start, but in appearance, and in how I've experienced it in the Battletech PC game.
    Last edited by Hemnon; 2020-03-22 at 04:52 AM.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Here we go with the mech Roll!
    [roll0]

Shadow Hawk SHD-2H it is then! Might add some Design Quirks to it to make it more fun and interesting. Might not.
    Quite a regular mech tho, although Always liked the Shadow Hawk from the start, but in appearance, and in how I've experienced it in the Battletech PC game.
    yeah its a workhorse for a medium, reasonably customizable for any given mission

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    yeah its a workhorse for a medium, reasonably customizable for any given mission
    Was thinking a little about going heavy... but I cannot for the life of me find the right model of a guilloutine GLT-3N's Record Sheet. can find other models with ease, but not the GLT-3N.

EDIT: Nevermind! I found it in the 3050s Recordsheets... for some reason.

But yeah as long as the GM isn't against a Star League Era Heavy 'Mech (only special is it got CASE for it's SRM-6s), I'd love to have my character OWN such a stompy-bot.
    I even have a way to make a cover-up explanation about it, - My character is a former Solaris VII Gladiator and might just have, with some ComStar-behind-the-scenes fiddle-diddling ensured that the GLT-3N was up as a 'unknown victory prize' with a choice of full salvage rights or pick the unknown reward. My character would then of course pick the unknown reward and end up the owner of a Star League Era Heavy Mech in the 6-million C-bills value.

It's either that or a Warhammer WHM-6R which is a massive Meltdown waiting to happen with all that heat generation from all those PPCs, Lasers, etc.
    Last edited by Hemnon; 2020-03-22 at 08:50 PM.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Was thinking a little about going heavy... but I cannot for the life of me find the right model of a guilloutine GLT-3N's Record Sheet. can find other models with ease, but not the GLT-3N.

EDIT: Nevermind! I found it in the 3050s Recordsheets... for some reason.
    Technical Readout 3050 Upgrade also includes the TRO 2750 designs (except for its Warships). The most recent version record sheets generally correlate with the most recent version of those Technical Readouts.
    But yeah as long as the GM isn't against a Star League Era Heavy 'Mech (only special is it got CASE for it's SRM-6s),
    It also has Endo Steel, though that doesn't make much of a difference (besides making room for 3 extra heat sinks and CASE compared to the downgraded -4L) unless/until you need to replace parts of it.
    I even have a way to make a cover-up explanation about it, - My character is a former Solaris VII Gladiator and might just have, with some ComStar-behind-the-scenes fiddle-diddling ensured that the GLT-3N was up as a 'unknown victory prize' with a choice of full salvage rights or pick the unknown reward. My character would then of course pick the unknown reward and end up the owner of a Star League Era Heavy Mech in the 6-million C-bills value.
    This sounds fine.
    It's either that or a Warhammer WHM-6R which is a massive Meltdown waiting to happen with all that heat generation from all those PPCs, Lasers, etc.
    It is also a Warhammer. The GLT-3N is probably overall a somewhat better design (it runs cooler, is better armored, and can jump), but the Warhammer has significantly more firepower potential at range.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Technical Readout 3050 Upgrade also includes the TRO 2750 designs (except for its Warships). The most recent version record sheets generally correlate with the most recent version of those Technical Readouts.
    It also has Endo Steel, though that doesn't make much of a difference (besides making room for 3 extra heat sinks and CASE compared to the downgraded -4L) unless/until you need to replace parts of it.

This sounds fine.

It is also a Warhammer. The GLT-3N is probably overall a somewhat better design (it runs cooler, is better armored, and can jump), but the Warhammer has significantly more firepower potential at range.
    Yeah! I found it.
    True, but Endo Steel was available again (albeit limitedly so) since 3035 when the Helm Memory Core was found. Same with Case.
    And I do indeed intend on taking a few Negative Design Quirks for the GLT-3N to show that yes it can be repaired, but finding the right parts or having trained people for it can be a small issue. That is something I'm totally fine with.

And yeah, I love the Warhammer, but it's not until a few iterations later that it becomes more viable rather than going to 11 overheat from one full Alpha Strike.
    I also feel it'd be quite interesting with the GLT-3N since it got a more Unique look as well.
    Any thoughts on taking balanced Quirks without having to do it with XP? aka. taking 2 TPs of Negative Quirks will allow up to 2 TPs of Positive Quirks? Or shall that be included in character-creation XP, ruleswise?
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

True, but Endo Steel was available again (albeit limitedly so) since 3035 when the Helm Memory Core was found. Same with Case.
    And I do indeed intend on taking a few Negative Design Quirks for the GLT-3N to show that yes it can be repaired, but finding the right parts or having trained people for it can be a small issue. That is something I'm totally fine with.
    It doesn't need to take design quirks to reflect that, it's inherent to Endo Steel structure. It's simply a rarer and more expensive component than standard structure, and generally not much of a problem maintenance-wise until it needs to be replaced rather than repaired.
    Any thoughts on taking balanced Quirks without having to do it with XP? aka. taking 2 TPs of Negative Quirks will allow up to 2 TPs of Positive Quirks? Or shall that be included in character-creation XP, ruleswise?
    I would prefer it if we left quirks out for the moment (though the Guillotine and Warhammer, etc. can have their searchlights).

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

It doesn't need to take design quirks to reflect that, it's inherent to Endo Steel structure. It's simply a rarer and more expensive component than standard structure, and generally not much of a problem maintenance-wise until it needs to be replaced rather than repaired.

I would prefer it if we left quirks out for the moment (though the Guillotine and Warhammer, etc. can have their searchlights).
    Ahh oke, had hoped to put some EM Interference on the Large Laser, good that I asked first before doing that XD
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

@Mando Knight
    you missed this somehow
    Last edited by samduke; 2020-03-23 at 07:55 AM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Posting interest, though it will take me a while to work out the concept properly. The good news is, I know a . . . metric ton of stuff about the background lore of Battletech, as I've been playing since 2nd edition.

Offhand, I was thinking of recycling a very old idea that might give our unit some flavor. Basically, I had an old, company-sized merc unit headed by a guy from the Magistracy of Canopus. And the thing about the Magistracy is 1) it's a matriarchy (pretty free-swinging, as I recall, though I don't know how much I'll incorporate that into my rp'ing), and more importantly 2) despite what you might have heard about the degeneracy of the Periphery, it was one of the very few places that kept up it's medical tech and training. Magistracy doctors are usually some of the best medics and doctors in the known universe, Inner Sphere or otherwise, and the Magistracy was one of the very few places where you might still find Star League-era medical technology in use.

So the idea was that this guy married a trauma surgeon and made a unit for himself. And the unit was actually a two-company sized unit (one company of mechs, one squadron of aerospace fighters), combined with a full trauma team. The sales pitch is that we'd go out into the Periphery and serve as a complete emergency garrison and take care of the natives at the same time. Obviously, part of the negotiation is figuring out compensation for the missus as well, but it added a lot of cool flavor, and gave our unit a reason for being. It also gives the unit a sense of focus, as obviously the desire of the unit, for milk-run garrison contracts, runs against the player's desire for a lot of action.

The only downside is, that we need at least our own dropship; at least a Seeker, if not an Overlord. Though obviously, if we had our own Jumpship, that'd just be mint.

Obviously, I'm just coming in, and I don't want to stomp on the GM's or any other player's ideas. But I really thought it'd be a cool idea that I just never had a group to make real, so I thought I'd float it.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by McStabbington View Post
    Posting interest, though it will take me a while to work out the concept properly. The good news is, I know a . . . metric ton of stuff about the background lore of Battletech, as I've been playing since 2nd edition.

Offhand, I was thinking of recycling a very old idea that might give our unit some flavor. Basically, I had an old, company-sized merc unit headed by a guy from the Magistracy of Canopus. And the thing about the Magistracy is 1) it's a matriarchy (pretty free-swinging, as I recall, though I don't know how much I'll incorporate that into my rp'ing), and more importantly 2) despite what you might have heard about the degeneracy of the Periphery, it was one of the very few places that kept up it's medical tech and training. Magistracy doctors are usually some of the best medics and doctors in the known universe, Inner Sphere or otherwise, and the Magistracy was one of the very few places where you might still find Star League-era medical technology in use.

So the idea was that this guy married a trauma surgeon and made a unit for himself. And the unit was actually a two-company sized unit (one company of mechs, one squadron of aerospace fighters), combined with a full trauma team. The sales pitch is that we'd go out into the Periphery and serve as a complete emergency garrison and take care of the natives at the same time. Obviously, part of the negotiation is figuring out compensation for the missus as well, but it added a lot of cool flavor, and gave our unit a reason for being. It also gives the unit a sense of focus, as obviously the desire of the unit, for milk-run garrison contracts, runs against the player's desire for a lot of action.

The only downside is, that we need at least our own dropship; at least a Seeker, if not an Overlord. Though obviously, if we had our own Jumpship, that'd just be mint.

Obviously, I'm just coming in, and I don't want to stomp on the GM's or any other player's ideas. But I really thought it'd be a cool idea that I just never had a group to make real, so I thought I'd float it.
    I think we are meant to start out as not the full on leader of the Merc Company, but rather maybe lance leader at most with potential for slightly higher ranking as well.
    Also, owning a jump ship? doubt that we'd ever do so with how hella LosTech they are and the fact they cost, what a few billion C-bills each... if you could buy it? I think a Leopard is like 100 Million C-bills alone.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Well, if GM just wanted to hand us missions, sure, but most of the fun of running as a mercenary outfit, in my experience, is sweating the finances and figuring out how to fight profitably. It's no good to win an engagement if three of your mechs are unsalvageably destroyed and you can't replace your units with salvage because you bargained away those rights for higher up-front pay. There's a reason why if the other guy shows up with an Atlas or Awesome, you just run and call it a day; beating those things down is incredibly tough, and never profitable.

But that being said, there's no conceptual reason why a mercenary outfit wouldn't own jumpships; in fact, most of the top-of-the-line mercenary outfits in 3047 do. Wolf's Dragoons are always the exception, of course, but the Eridani Light Horse, the Centauri Lancers, Hanson's Roughriders? All dropship and jumpship-supported outfits. There's zero chance we'd have a lithium-fusion battery, but a centuries-old Invader that we lease out to ferry commercial traffic around while we're on garrison, and a single dropship? That's doable with the right backstory and point-buy if the founder of the mercenary outfit is rich enough. It would also explain why we've got such a high proportion of "Own Mech" traits among the group: because there wasn't enough leftover funds to actually create a company stockpile of mechs, and the founder had to prioritize getting people who own their own mechs in order to fill out the company.
    Last edited by McStabbington; 2020-03-23 at 01:32 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Well, if GM just wanted to hand us missions, sure, but most of the fun of running as a mercenary outfit, in my experience, is sweating the finances and figuring out how to fight profitably. It's no good to win an engagement if three of your mechs are unsalvageably destroyed and you can't replace your units with salvage because you bargained away those rights for higher up-front pay. There's a reason why if the other guy shows up with an Atlas or Awesome, you just run and call it a day; beating those things down is incredibly tough, and never profitable.

But that being said, there's no conceptual reason why a mercenary outfit wouldn't own jumpships; in fact, most of the top-of-the-line mercenary outfits in 3047 do. Wolf's Dragoons are always the exception, of course, but the Eridani Light Horse, the Centauri Lancers, Hanson's Roughriders? All dropship and jumpship-supported outfits. There's zero chance we'd have a lithium-fusion battery, but a centuries-old Invader that we lease out to ferry commercial traffic around while we're on garrison, and a single dropship? That's doable with the right backstory and point-buy if the founder of the mercenary outfit is rich enough. It would also explain why we've got such a high proportion of "Own Mech" traits among the group: because there wasn't enough leftover funds to actually create a company stockpile of mechs, and the founder had to prioritize getting people who own their own mechs in order to fill out the company.
    Oh I know, it's why you always get a stipulated Good-faith clause payment if pulling out of the contract with only a partial-participation is a good idea. Merc companies are there to make money, and if the employer lies or the trouble is gonna cause a bigger loss than what can be earned, leaving while things are good is always best. Hell, it's why you always want to stay within the MRB-certified missions since anything else is governed by your own ass only.

We are still pre-clan invasion so Jumpships and such are still very much a highly limited resource and if I recall correctly, only around 12 new Jumpships are created every year in the Inner Sphere.
    It's only around 17% of Jumpships that are owned privately after all. over half are owned by the Inner Sphere militaries, 30-something percent are owned by hypercorps and as mentioned prior, around 17 percent is privately owned/merc company owned. These, the most common type are also Half a Billion C-Bills each. That's hella expensive when you think a MadCat costs 24+ Million C-bills each and they are a limited resource as well for the Clans.
    Any other class is either ancient, primitive designs, Clan-produced stuff or made is so small quantities that we are talking, 1, maybe 2 of their class are made annually. I also think it's more about having the right connections, rather than just having the money for it as well.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I don't necessarily disagree on any point, though I'd note that you're noting new production numbers (and I think, a bit undervalued; those numbers are from back in the Succession Wars era before the Helm Cache was discovered. In 3047, 12 per year is probably what the Fed-Com produces at this point, with the yearly production for the entire Inner Sphere probably around 30 as production spools up. Remember that we're only 10 years from the reintroduction of warships) when there are Invader and Scout-class jumpships that have been in service for ~400 years at this point. Yeah, they are rare, and any mercenary outfit that has them is set up in ways that most mercenary outfits aren't.

But what I'm saying is that I don't necessarily think it's a bad idea for there to be some thumbs on the scale to make this unit one of the lucky ones at the initial stage. I don't know how many mercenary campaigns you've run, or whether your experience extends back to the old mercenary supplements. But my experience does, and in my experience, they weren't kidding when they said that most mercenary outfits failed within five years. One bad contract can break your average outfit, but that's largely because your average outfit is riding on good luck without the background support needed to make the finances work. Without medical support, you have to hire on. Without dropship support, you have to always hire whomever will carry your mechs. Without jumpship support, you can't leave the system without subcontracting. And mercenary work is not exactly a high-margin business to begin with; even a good garrison contract for a year with no combat will net a company-sized unit enough cash to buy a medium mech; a light if it's got lostech.

In such circumstances, all I'm saying is that I'm not averse to designing a founder of a unit who has the finances to, theoretically at least, make a go of it for real, and build something that lasts beyond the first bad contract. It doesn't mean we don't have to work at making the rest of the campaign work, and don't have to rely on luck a bit at times. But I'd just like to not be a few bad dice rolls from not even being able to get off Outreach. That means we should at least aim for a Dropship. Which, given that I'm describing common dropship and jumpship designs: Overlords are probably outnumbered only by Unions and Leopards among military dropships, and Seekers are quite common as well. I'm not asking for the Grey Death Legion. Just an outfit that could handle a contract going south or two.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I don't necessarily disagree on any point, though I'd note that you're noting new production numbers (and I think, a bit undervalued; those numbers are from back in the Succession Wars era before the Helm Cache was discovered. In 3047, 12 per year is probably what the Fed-Com produces at this point, with the yearly production for the entire Inner Sphere probably around 30 as production spools up. Remember that we're only 10 years from the reintroduction of warships) when there are Invader and Scout-class jumpships that have been in service for ~400 years at this point. Yeah, they are rare, and any mercenary outfit that has them is set up in ways that most mercenary outfits aren't.

But what I'm saying is that I don't necessarily think it's a bad idea for there to be some thumbs on the scale to make this unit one of the lucky ones at the initial stage. I don't know how many mercenary campaigns you've run, or whether your experience extends back to the old mercenary supplements. But my experience does, and in my experience, they weren't kidding when they said that most mercenary outfits failed within five years. One bad contract can break your average outfit, but that's largely because your average outfit is riding on good luck without the background support needed to make the finances work. Without medical support, you have to hire on. Without dropship support, you have to always hire whomever will carry your mechs. Without jumpship support, you can't leave the system without subcontracting. And mercenary work is not exactly a high-margin business to begin with; even a good garrison contract for a year with no combat will net a company-sized unit enough cash to buy a medium mech; a light if it's got lostech.

In such circumstances, all I'm saying is that I'm not averse to designing a founder of a unit who has the finances to, theoretically at least, make a go of it for real, and build something that lasts beyond the first bad contract. It doesn't mean we don't have to work at making the rest of the campaign work, and don't have to rely on luck a bit at times. But I'd just like to not be a few bad dice rolls from not even being able to get off Outreach. That means we should at least aim for a Dropship. Which, given that I'm describing common dropship and jumpship designs: Overlords are probably outnumbered only by Unions and Leopards among military dropships, and Seekers are quite common as well. I'm not asking for the Grey Death Legion. Just an outfit that could handle a contract going south or two.
    Maybe go with a contracted Lance (aka. the full lance works under another merc Company) saving up to break off and run their own company, perhaps? will allow everyone a couple of missions, so to speak, to get used to the rules and such.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

If that's your preference, that's cool. And you have been posting to the thread for longer than I have, so until further notice, your vote counts for more than mine.

I'd just note that functionally, a subcontractor outfit like you're suggesting tends to either become wildly implausible, or gets into meatgrinders quickly. Given the option, any mercenary commander with half a brain is, when given the opportunity to assign the most dangerous and difficult missions, assign them to the guys who are taking a cut of "their" pay over their own men.

I suppose in the initial contract, we could be engaged in a guerrilla campaign after things have broken down. One of the funnest campaigns I was ever involved in ran was as a lance-sized outfit in the Chaos March. One of our jobs was to supplement the planetary defenses when a full battalion of Liao regulars came to pacify the planet. We hung out in the boonies, and then picked apart the Liao troops that came at us until what was left of them (about 60% of the battalion by that point) left. It was a good contract, one that bought us both some institutional respect and would have done well for us, had our follow-up contract not been a meatgrinder diversion raid in the Smoke Jaguar Occupation Zone.

Long story short, perhaps a way to incorporate your concerns is that we start in media res with a fight already under way, and figure out what to do with our unit after we pick up the pieces. That way, people can get the hang of the battlefield combat before we get into the nitty gritty financials.
    Last edited by McStabbington; 2020-03-23 at 07:37 PM.