Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Battletech - A time of Total Warfare (Combo of A time of War and Total Warfare)

Quote Originally Posted by McStabbington View Post
    If that's your preference, that's cool. And you have been posting to the thread for longer than I have, so until further notice, your vote counts for more than mine.

I'd just note that functionally, a subcontractor outfit like you're suggesting tends to either become wildly implausible, or gets into meatgrinders quickly. Given the option, any mercenary commander with half a brain is, when given the opportunity to assign the most dangerous and difficult missions, assign them to the guys who are taking a cut of "their" pay over their own men.

I suppose in the initial contract, we could be engaged in a guerrilla campaign after things have broken down. One of the funnest campaigns I was ever involved in ran was as a lance-sized outfit in the Chaos March. One of our jobs was to supplement the planetary defenses when a full battalion of Liao regulars came to pacify the planet. We hung out in the boonies, and then picked apart the Liao troops that came at us until what was left of them (about 60% of the battalion by that point) left. It was a good contract, one that bought us both some institutional respect and would have done well for us, had our follow-up contract not been a meatgrinder diversion raid in the Smoke Jaguar Occupation Zone.

Long story short, perhaps a way to incorporate your concerns is that we start in media res with a fight already under way, and figure out what to do with our unit after we pick up the pieces. That way, people can get the hang of the battlefield combat before we get into the nitty gritty financials.
    Oh hey, no no! not at all. I am just blurting a bunch. I do not in any way wanna force anything on anyone like that.
    I was merely voicing an idea, nothing more.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome dark heresy inquisitor avatar by Emperor Ing

Gender bended avatar by Emperor Ing

.... in her party dress, also by Emperor Ing

Epic imperial Guardsman by The Architect

Youtube Account:Here.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Battletech - A time of Total Warfare (Combo of A time of War and Total Warfare)

Mando already posted upthread the group was going to be a company, with the top spot open to anybody who took the traits for it. Didn't say anything about Jump/DropShips. I'd love to have them, obviously, but so would everyone else, and few do.
    I am not crazy! I prefer "reality impaired".

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RandomLunatic View Post
    Mando already posted upthread the group was going to be a company, with the top spot open to anybody who took the traits for it. Didn't say anything about Jump/DropShips. I'd love to have them, obviously, but so would everyone else, and few do.
    Yeah most get to rent one or have to wait until one have a departure-time and pay to join for the jump.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    @Mando Knight
    you missed this somehow
    @GM can we have more that 1 submitted character choosing 1 to play or just 1, I may opt to redo what I have to try to get that custom vehicle trait, its just not doable with the current as the points are not there for that +TP value
    As long as you don't go overboard, starting over is fine. I'd prefer if you kept the number from the RAT roll (though not necessarily the final result, in case you decide on a different weight class or allegiance), but that's more to discourage gaming retries than anything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemnon View Post
    I think we are meant to start out as not the full on leader of the Merc Company, but rather maybe lance leader at most with potential for slightly higher ranking as well.
    Also, owning a jump ship? doubt that we'd ever do so with how hella LosTech they are and the fact they cost, what a few billion C-bills each... if you could buy it? I think a Leopard is like 100 Million C-bills alone.
    I think I forgot to mention, but the company has a Union as part of its group assets.

The position of leader of the company is definitely available, though the XP cost to buy that position at the start of the game (the Officer Training field plus a level 6 Rank trait) means the character would be more limited as a MechWarrior than the rest of the lance.
    Well, if GM just wanted to hand us missions, sure, but most of the fun of running as a mercenary outfit, in my experience, is sweating the finances and figuring out how to fight profitably. It's no good to win an engagement if three of your mechs are unsalvageably destroyed and you can't replace your units with salvage because you bargained away those rights for higher up-front pay. There's a reason why if the other guy shows up with an Atlas or Awesome, you just run and call it a day; beating those things down is incredibly tough, and never profitable.
    I'm not asking for the Grey Death Legion. Just an outfit that could handle a contract going south or two.
    Early GDL (specifically, Mercenary's Star) was actually a bit of an inspiration for the current setup, just shifted forward a couple of decades so that there's room for fighting Clanners if the campaign lasts. Grayson is clearly in command, but he's never alone in making those decisions.
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2020-03-23 at 08:20 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

So long as you don't have for us what was in store for the Grey Death Legion in the Fed-Com Civil War, I'm cool.

Also cool with the Union. I mean, not cool, cool; those things generally have run-down, overworked life-support systems that usually make transit from planetside to jump point like living inside a gym locker. And they don't have a tremendous amount of storage space for loot (though without an aerospace squadron, we might be able to repurpose the bay in a pinch *wink wink nudge nudge*). But Unions are typical and expected, and they're solid, dependable Dropships. Isn't a planet in the 'verse we can't drop on with one of those things.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

on the subject of dropships, there is always having mechs with jump jets and then you have the option of a hot drop

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

As a wise man said, "Anything is air-droppable at least once."

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

on the subject of dropships, there is always having mechs with jump jets and then you have the option of a hot drop
    Hah, the idea of a Steiner Scout Lance modified with Jumpjets just made me chuckle!
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey, sorry about this, but I'm going to be dropping interest.
    Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

So I'm almost done with creation. I ended up rewriting the backstory slighty to having Xiafan barely survivng the bomb blast that killed her family, mostly to give me some disadvantage fodder. I'm trying to work out what a good -2/3 TP handicap would be. The table is so darn vague.

Since I've noticed we've rolled up whatever the opposite of sausage fest is, what if the company's gimmick is an all-female pilot roster? Call it something like the Alshain Amazons or Folcott's Furies.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

how in the hell am I supposed to read and correctly understand the Equipment Rating of items!?
    I would get it if it was just E/E/E or some such, but some have an A/X-X-B/C rating or some such... is one of those a reference to time period? is it Technology-Availability-Legality? then why is there an X rating in something that is not the mid-rating? when is something non-existant and when it is existing?
    I dun get it. The rules doesn't even explain it clearly ^^;
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

It's tech level/availability/legality. Availability is split to cover three eras, respectively Age of War/Old SL, Succession Wars, and Clan Invasion. We're sitting in an awkward spot right between those two. Xs indicate the item is either LosTech or not yet invented in that era.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

If my recollection of the old distribution charts is any guide, RandomLunatic has it correct: X essentially means that it's not available during this time period.

Though offhand, as much as it's cool to have Star League era weaponry being reintroduced, I'd recommend at this point that if we get those weapons, we sell them. Beyond the fact that we might well be able to get a premium for SLDF technology, the rarity of those weapons and equipment introduce two separate problems: difficulties with maintenance, and difficulties with resupply. The simple fact is that most of the techs a small Questionable unit that's just started out can get won't have much, if any, experience with SLDF technology. Which in turn makes it harder to keep that equipment going. Second, in order to actually get use out of those weapons, we need the ammunition that makes them work, and that ammo tends to be expensive. Artemis-guided missiles, LB-X cluster rounds, Narc munitions? Those are expensive ordinances, and the costs can really rack up quickly. It gets even worse if you use some of the common game mods: it's one thing to replace regular armor with ferro-fibrous, for instance, but most players assume endo steel or double heat sinks requires that the mech or engine be new construction, and finding replacements if something is blown off can be a daunting prospect.

To my mind, it'd be far better at this point to have tough, well-designed L1 mechs than lostech. I know I'm probably not in the best position to argue seeing as how my last ride was a modified CN-9D Centurion (which is a surprisingly sweet build, far better than most 3050 modifications). But if we had the choice between a CN-9D and, say, a Marik-refit Wolverine? I'd take the Wolverine any day of the week and have the unit pocket the change.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

It's tech level/availability/legality. Availability is split to cover three eras, respectively Age of War/Old SL, Succession Wars, and Clan Invasion. We're sitting in an awkward spot right between those two. Xs indicate the item is either LosTech or not yet invented in that era.
    That part I did get, but if I give an item example:
    White Dwarf Laser Pistol - Equipment Rating D/X-X-C/E

What the hell is with the slashes? I'd get if It was lke a D-E-C or some such, cuz then it'd be a Tech Level D - Availability E - Legality C.
    But with the Above it's a.... what? Tech Level D or X (and what is X for? that's only a thing on the availability list) - Availability X (meaning it's not even available at all since it doesn't exist? then why is it on the list at all?) - Legality C or E.... okay so where is it Legality C and where is it E? or is it a when, rather than where??
    Last edited by Hemnon; 2020-03-25 at 06:33 AM.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

That part I did get, but if I give an item example:
    White Dwarf Laser Pistol - Equipment Rating D/X-X-C/E

What the hell is with the slashes? I'd get if It was lke a D-E-C or some such, cuz then it'd be a Tech Level D - Availability E - Legality C.
    But with the Above it's a.... what? Tech Level D or X (and what is X for? that's only a thing on the availability list) - Availability X (meaning it's not even available at all since it doesn't exist? then why is it on the list at all?) - Legality C or E.... okay so where is it Legality C and where is it E? or is it a when, rather than where??
    It's still availability, though availability per era. Classically, the eras listed are "Age of War/3025"-"Clan Invasion Era/3050"-"Fed-Com Civil War/3067". So an X-X-C level of legality should be effectively read as "Not in production/Not in production/Nobody will bother you if you're active-duty military personnel, but they will ask very searching questions if you're not".

Since we're in 3047, 3050 would probably be the closest to what we're playing, so you want to look at the middle chart if they bifurcate it like that. In which case, White Dwarfs aren't in production at this time. Which I wouldn't think is too bad; honestly, your average slug thrower is perfectly acceptable as a sidearm. I was thinking that if I was the unit leader, I'd be spending some of our money on standard-issue sidearms and uniforms. Not only does it make us look spiffy, but it also cuts down on logistical concerns. I haven't checked, but the standard-issue auto-pistol (or even better, the Marik-issue Desert Eagle, which trades straight damage for more penetrating power over the standard auto-pistol) and a combat rifle should be sufficient to handle most out-of-cockpit firefights.
    Last edited by McStabbington; 2020-03-25 at 09:21 AM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

It's still availability, though availability per era. Classically, the eras listed are "Age of War/3025"-"Clan Invasion Era/3050"-"Fed-Com Civil War/3067". So an X-X-C level of legality should be effectively read as "Not in production/Not in production/Nobody will bother you if you're active-duty military personnel, but they will ask very searching questions if you're not"
    Oh.... then where's the Legality and Technology level referred?

If they are all Availability then.... where do I find the rest?

and what's with the slashes? like C/X-D-D/C <----- that's the bit that is WAY confusing to me as well.
    And I take it we are just prior to the middle one, yeah?

EDIT: Oh wait I think I get it!
    Technology Rating is the first letter, then there's the Slash to show the three time-periods, and then the final slash with Legality showing afterwards!
    So C/E-X-D/E would mean the item is of C rating for it's Technology, it's E-X-D rated for Availability in the three separate time periods, and finally we have E rating for the legality of owning it. Yes?
    Last edited by Hemnon; 2020-03-25 at 09:43 AM.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Yes. That's it.

Sitting on the edge of the periods like we are, I'm wondering which ratings we should be using. There's two items-a vibrodagger and incendiary ammo- that are out of reach of using SW ratings, but available under 3050s availability.

And if NARC missiles are generally available, I have half a mind to split my points in vehicle out to custom vehicle to start with an RVN-3L.
    Last edited by RandomLunatic; 2020-03-25 at 11:51 AM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Yes. That's it.

Sitting on the edge of the periods like we are, I'm wondering which ratings we should be using. There's two items-a vibrodagger and incendiary ammo- that are out of reach of using SW ratings, but available under 3050s availability.

And if NARC missiles are generally available, I have half a mind to split my points in vehicle out to custom vehicle to start with an RVN-3L.
    Try look up on Sarna, since it might mention the specific YEAR it's introduced.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

In this era, NARCs are on par with, say, double heat sinks. They're one of the earlier SLDF technologies recovered, they've been around for a while, and people do know about them, so they're not experimental prototypes or anything like that. That being said, they're not common, re-supply of pods could be difficult, and they're useless unless we also get specialty LRM and SRM munitions that are designed to home in on NARC signals. Which, keeping ourselves resupplied with such munitions could prove difficult, and definitely costly. Back in BMR days, those munitions were twice the cost of normal munitions, which in practice halves our re-supply.

If we end up short-loading our ammo, it wouldn't be the first time for me, but it's always a feeling of relief to go into battle with a full ammo cannister (unless it's machine gun ammo, in which case, short-load the ammunition please).

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

It's true NARC gets a bit pricey, but you can load them into anything, so it's a quick way to upgrade the fighting power of a whole unit of machines that have fallen behind the tech curve.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Sure. Sure.

Just remember that since we're not the Davion Heavy Guards or Kell Hounds, all 3025 tech, with maybe one or two mechs with ferro-fibrous, is the curve for mercenary units in 3047. We're okay if we're mostly Age of War gear. The beauty of this period is not so much that lostech is plentiful; it's that now we can actually buy replacement limbs from the quartermaster if our unit Griffin loses an arm. We're not in the place of having to hope that we can take out a Shadow Hawk so we can salvage an arm off of it to replace the one that's lost.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I'm so glad I finally understood the Equipment Rating deal, cuz now I can actually get around to buy gear....
    Sadly It'll be a few more years until Mechwarrior Combat Suit really becomes a thing. A regular Cooling Vest ain't gonna protect you against **** after all.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

GM

Does any gear we buy that needs Power Packs to work, come with a powerpack? or do we buy those separately?
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Well, you're ComStar, aren't you? The ComGuard had the suits. Jeremiah Rose even managed to take two with him when he left.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Well, you're ComStar, aren't you? The ComGuard had the suits. Jeremiah Rose even managed to take two with him when he left.
    but it's beyond my character's Equipped Trait rating to own it.
    And I'm not gonna have my character bring along ComStar tech she doesn't own. I'm fine with the cooling vest for now, cuz still need a 20k C-bill save-up to get that better version for Elite/ComStar users.
    Unless it's an item provides by the Merc Company, if so I'd like to know from the GM, what gear is provided by joining the Merc Company (although gear still owned by the Merc Company).

Also, GM, I need to know what the cost of a pill-style sleeping aid would cost and what the stats for it would be. I dun think using a Medical-level sedative is the right type of thing that my character got an addictive need to use when unable to sleep cuz nightmares.
    Cuz they shouldn't be more addictive than something like Cannabis.

Oh and did I really see VX Gas under 'Poisons'?! holy crap... that stuff is lethal just with contact to the skin
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

And is it -5 TP on TOTAL as a max, or are we talking That per Trait?
    Forgot to answer this one earlier, it's total, including the negative traits from various modules. Please don't skim through the book and add every -1 TP negative trait you can find just for the extra XP.
    Oh and still curious about if our characters starts at an age above 25, also is affected by the Aging rules?
    Yes, though remember that aging effects are applied after character creation, so make sure your module prerequisites line up before adding them in.
    So I'm almost done with creation. I ended up rewriting the backstory slighty to having Xiafan barely survivng the bomb blast that killed her family, mostly to give me some disadvantage fodder. I'm trying to work out what a good -2/3 TP handicap would be. The table is so darn vague.
    That's the problem with a description that's vague for the sake of player/GM freedom. -1 and -2 traits are typically manageable disadvantages (the AToW Companion has a character sheet with a -1 Compulsion: addiction to chocolate), with -3 being a bit more severe. You could also split it across multiple other handicap-type traits rather than piling it all on the nebulous Handicap trait. Unattractive scarring, Poor Hearing, or missing toes/fingers would all be appropriate handicaps for a bomb-related injury.
    Since I've noticed we've rolled up whatever the opposite of sausage fest is, what if the company's gimmick is an all-female pilot roster? Call it something like the Alshain Amazons or Folcott's Furies.
    I'll keep this in mind for the NPCs if that's the direction you all want to go with the company.
    GM

Does any gear we buy that needs Power Packs to work, come with a powerpack? or do we buy those separately?
    I'll waive the cost of one standard power pack for items that require it, but you should pay for any extra or higher-grade power packs you might want.
    Also, GM, I need to know what the cost of a pill-style sleeping aid would cost and what the stats for it would be. I dun think using a Medical-level sedative is the right type of thing that my character got an addictive need to use when unable to sleep cuz nightmares.
    Cuz they shouldn't be more addictive than something like Cannabis.
    OTC-grade sleep aids? Let's go with about 1 per (regular) dose, strength 1.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Well there's always going with a poor vision trait for having had some damage happen to your character's eyes from the bright flash from the bomb blast.
    There's also going with something like a Compulsion Agoraphobia (fear of wide open spaces... wouldn't count inside a battlemech because you're in an enclosed spot but can see wide open areas due to having been in an open plaza or some such when 'ze bombz fell', which are very different to someone with Agoraphobia... at least that's how my irl uncle describes his issue).
    If your character was Evacuated with Jump-ship use as well, perhaps your character Developed TDC from it?
    You could get a Compulsion Hatred *insert the faction that bombed the place you lived* to build upon your character's innate hate towards those that caused the death of family and friends.
    It's all about thinking - what fits with the background and module choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Forgot to answer this one earlier, it's total, including the negative traits from various modules. Please don't skim through the book and add every -1 TP negative trait you can find just for the extra XP.

Yes, though remember that aging effects are applied after character creation, so make sure your module prerequisites line up before adding them in.

I'll waive the cost of one standard power pack for items that require it, but you should pay for any extra or higher-grade power packs you might want.

OTC-grade sleep aids? Let's go with about 1 per (regular) dose, strength 1.
    I did not know that. I've removed Sixth sense to balance out the need to have WP 3, INT 3, DEX 4 and RFL 4 prior to Aging effects.

Eh, I figured I'd just go with Hi-Cap Power Packs for all my stuff instead since my character is able to be equipped E/D/D... might as well get a hold of some better batteries that way ^^ Every item needing it, have had a Power Pack Purchase added to it, and I have also bought some spares in case a swap is needed and waiting for a recharge isn't possible.

Hmmm... and, what there'd be like 120 in a bottle, I take it? Also the Bonus effect would be, what - Medical Sedative? And I take it there'd be no need to roll Medtech when taking them since it's just take 1 pill and swallow? Is there also a danger of Addiction as long as 1-pill per day MAX is followed? Or is it more when you deliberately up the dose that the addiction danger is there?

EDIT - and I think my basic charactersheet is more or less done. just not some basic gear-crunch and the backstory written up as well.
    Last edited by Hemnon; 2020-03-25 at 10:02 PM.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

I kind likethe idea of the company's gimmick is an all-female pilot roster?
    maybe Valkyrie Night Witches

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Val & Hal's Valkyries?
    (Valery & Hallson)

Ya know, cuz of the play on the whole Valhalla thing.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    That's the problem with a description that's vague for the sake of player/GM freedom. -1 and -2 traits are typically manageable disadvantages (the AToW Companion has a character sheet with a -1 Compulsion: addiction to chocolate), with -3 being a bit more severe. You could also split it across multiple other handicap-type traits rather than piling it all on the nebulous Handicap trait. Unattractive scarring, Poor Hearing, or missing toes/fingers would all be appropriate handicaps for a bomb-related injury.
    Oh, I took some other traits too. I'm just trying to finalize the one.

I'm thinking some kind of nerve damage causing loss of feeling in a leg or hand. Does that work?

Also, what equipment availability ratings should we use, given we're sitting right smack dab in the middle of two eras?

Val & Hal's Valkyries?
    (Valery & Hallson)

Ya know, cuz of the play on the whole Valhalla thing.
    Much as like the name Valkyrie, that's already a 'Mech. Using it in the name might imply a single-unit composition like Miller's Marauders or Cochraine's Goliaths.