New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Lawful Evil Midlevel Inquisitor "Doloria Umbra" aka Dolores Umbridge

So the following interaction gave me an idea. What if Dolores Umbridge was an inquisitor/Pathfinder character. Barring her abilities as a wizard (aka sorcerer via Pathfinder), what class features can and should she have? What would you think she would look like?

Spoiler
    Show

My basic idea (using Golarion and its Pantheon) would be a Kuthonite Cleric or Inquisitor with the Law (Devil) and Undead Domains, allowing her to both command undead (aren't dementors glorified 3.5 shadows?) and use her powers to further her cause in a mundane hierarchy.

My main problem is that I don't know the actual character very well aside from the memes around the movies.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Lawful Evil Midlevel Inquisitor "Doloria Umbra" aka Dolores Umbridge

I agree on Kuthite Inquisitor being a good choice for a class. I say the Law (Kyton) domain or Torture inquisition would be good choices.
    Extended Signature

Words of Wisdom from other Playgrounders:
    Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Like your own little harem of jealous wearable anime girls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterkerfuffle View Post
    I've seen horsemancers absolutely shred campaigns.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Lawful Evil Midlevel Inquisitor "Doloria Umbra" aka Dolores Umbridge

Originally Posted by legomaster00156
    ...Torture inquisition....
    Absolutely this.

Also, look into custom quills. Not sure how to replicate those in PF, but there should be some bleed in there somewhere.

Last edited by Palanan; 2020-03-16 at 09:15 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

According to the Potter wiki, she can cast a Patronus; Cruciatus (pain/torture); create object; stunning; and something similar to Pilfering Hand. She has the Silent Spell feat, the rare ability to control dementors (control undead spell, presumably); and she crafted the aforementioned quill herself.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I would probably rule the quills as being wondrous items dealing something like 1d6 nonlethal damage for every minute spent writing. Obviously, they do not require ink.
    Extended Signature

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by legomaster00156
    I would probably rule the quills as being wondrous items dealing something like 1d6 nonlethal damage for every minute spent writing.
    1d6 per minute seems a little high, even for nonlethal. There were some young kids using those quills, first- and second-years who probably wouldn’t have more than 8-10 hp at most. Umbrage had them writing for a long while in the detention hall, and at 1d6 per minute the younger ones would’ve been dropping below 0 left and right.

I’d say something like Inflict Pain would be closer to the mark—still agonizing, but no hit point damage, not even nonlethal, so the target remains conscious for hours at a time to experience every instant of the pain. That seems very Dolores.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I tried to translate it into a moderately useful, if weak, magic item, not something that exactly corresponds to the effects of the quills in-universe.
    Extended Signature

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

If i had to stat the quill as a magic item i'd probably call it a cursed use-activated item of scrivener's chant that forces a fortitude save each minute vs. 1 point of dex damage. Let's say it also takes up the Hand slot while in use because you aren't allowed to wear gloves while doing it.

Following the formula for crafting a use-activated item of a cantrip at CL 1 that'd give us a total price of 1000 gp market price for a non-cursed quill, add in discount for crafting an intentionally cursed item (as per the player companion Black Markets) that'd make it cost a mere 700 gp on the market and our inquisitor Umbra can craft it for a relatively cheap 350 gp per quill.
    Last edited by Hazrond; 2020-03-16 at 11:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bekeleven View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousPepper View Post
    Easy. Be a Planar Shepherd.
    I, too, destroy beehives with nuclear weapons.
    Proponent of Rudisplorkery in the Rudisplorker Guild

Avatar by the ever so generous Grinner

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by legomaster00156 View Post
    I tried to translate it into a moderately useful, if weak, magic item, not something that exactly corresponds to the effects of the quills in-universe.
    I am always aiming for an internally consistent character, as an hommage, not an outright copy of said character, that doesn't make sense. In that way, I could see her using darts (basically a bag of never ending +1 darts) with the sanctified slayer archetype, going for the bleeding attack rogue talent.