Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Fyraltari's Fiercely Friendly Random Banter Thread #226

Quote Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post

My main issue with it's that it portrays a trans man as a butch lesbian
    (it just goes with the main character misgendering and deadnaming him and never corrects itself).
    Saff was the only person in the doc I even liked and think is a genuinely good person! They should have at least respected his preferences there.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Your bread looks like a rotary phone.
    This right here, is some prime quality culinary critique.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Firbolg in the Playground

DrowGuy

Hey everybody. I'm feeling a little sad because as everybody knows that my friend mother has passed away from the coronavirus last night. But I feel a little better though.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Hey everybody. I'm feeling a little sad because as everybody knows that my friend mother has passed away from the coronavirus last night. But I feel a little better though.
    Spoiler: image
    Show

Last edited by Insane Jeenyus; 2020-04-06 at 01:44 PM.
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

4. - Top - End - #394

Amazon is slipping, not having my Better Call Saul new episode up yet. This does not make for a happy dragon.

If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

5. - Top - End - #395
    Firbolg in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Insane Jeenyus View Post
    Spoiler: image
    Show

That how I feel.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ogre in the Playground

I've finally reached that moment-- As I was eating ice cream out of the carton while watching movies it hit me. I have become a sad protagonist from a cliched rom-com.
    Iop brain.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Titan in the Playground

Derby, UK and Bleak Despair battlestation. Species: Spirit-Bound Skeletal Lich (Lawful Evil)

So, I haven't achieved what I actually INTENDED to do today, but I figured I might as well spread the misery and at least I might have achieved something then, even if it's "boring the pants off people...!" It was a toss-up between here and ponythread, and you folk lost. (I don't think anyone can fairly consider you "won," by any stretch of the imagination.)

Spoiler
    Show
    So, as probably none of you in this thread know, I Does Starships (and tanks, modern and scifi at 1/144th scale) for an unliving, making CAD models for 3D printing, what I sells on the interwebs through the titular Aotrs Shipyards.

I've been working currently on converting 25-year old scratch-built Aotrs starships to CAD models, and having done that, am going on to fill the last gaps in the Aotrs starships that never had models, some of which have been waiting 25 years for one.

I intended to start work on the Aotrs Murder-class Fightercruiser (fightercruisers being "things that are bigger than fighters, but smaller than capital ships; examples would include vesels of the size of B-52s or civilian airliners or Runabouts from Star Trek (even the Defiant and the small (B'rel) Birds of Prey probably technically count). The Murder is a troop ship, so, as, always, I wanted to ensure it was right (i.e. the Aotrs vehicles would theorhetically physically fit in the model if they were shown at the same scale). Which meant a look at my scaling.

Where I found, to my dismay, my notes were not consistent. I have a file I use for checking scaling between different model scales, where everything is scaled to 1/300 scale (6mm). 300th is as a good a waypoint between 144th all the way down to 1/10000th (nominally the scale for the capital starships) as any. I have previously converted a handful of fighters from the fleet scale to 6mm for fighter combat games - one of the reasons I complied this file in the first place.

This is my standard vessel and vehicle scaling image and appropriate (and now correct, more on that in a moment) notes. (Yes, those are blokes and tanks as well, like I said, disparate scales!)

The problem is that while the fighters neatly sit at 1500th scale (as in the physical size of the models is about right), and small fighters/drones can be doubled to that size (750th scale), in order to get the fightercruisers down to a level where they are slightly bigger than the fighters, but smaller than the smallest capital ships, they ended up at 4000th scale.

(This needs to be the case, because thereís no a lot of room between ďsmall ship so your big ship models arenít absurdly largeĒ and ďsmall ship too small to see/pick up/paint.Ē So fighters have to be about the size they are (around the 7-10mm length in terms of physical model size) for practicality, and fighter cruisers have to squeeze in between fighters and small capitals, and thuis the models tend to have to be roughly the same sort of size, even thought the real ships would be quite different.)

So there's a 2 2/3 scale between the fighters and the fighter cruisers, which is awkward. Now, the smart ones among you might say "well, why didn't you just use 4500 in the first place?" Of course, by the time I'd conducted this analysis, my stuff was already long released, so it is a bit late to change the sizes now (and they are, to be fair, at a good size at 4000th).

And checking the notes, I had the conversion for fighters from 300th scale to fleet scale as x0.2 on one bit and x0.15 on another bit. Crapbaskets.

So I had to create a new scaling file to check EVERY. SINGLE. Fighter and Fightercruiser was right and find any errors. And I have A LOT of fleets, even JUST counting the ones I have CAD-designed and not all the others. I had to spend basically the whole day creating a new scaling file (twice, because that x2 2/3 tripped me up the first time and I'd blissfully gone with x2...) and make sure this time I made more extensive notes on both files!

I thought it might be fun (for me, anyway, to inflict this on other people) to see the result, which shows the nominal projected "real" sizes of all the fighters and fighter cruisers1 proportional to the fighters and each other.

This is just top-down view, for simplicity; rotating in 3D gives you a better idea, but that works poorly for a static image. The black models are the wireframes of the actual Shipyards models. The right hand part of the box has the fighters, and the fightercruisers at physical model size are in black to their left in that second box.

The purple and blue wireframes are the sizes the fightercruisers would really be when in the same scale as the fighters (purple is confirmed from other details, blue is nominal). On the right, outside the fighters, you can see a couple of full capital starships (scoutships, the smallest ones, mind!) at the size of physical model, showing why he fightercruisers have to be on a bit of a sliding scale.

Zoomed out. That top box now visible on the upper right has the ships at 6mm scale (300th), which I needed there to check proportions between ships (which having been done at 6mm are of known size) and to shrink down to check against the smaller versions.

Zoomed much further out, can see in purple on the left those same captial starships scaled up to their true proportional size compared to the fighters.

So, after all that, I did eventually find a couple of issues - but only a couple, fortunately!

One of the Aotrs fleet-scale fighters was too small (it was a conversion down from a 300th scale scratch-built-model-turned-CAD-model) and needed to be buffed up by a third in size (easily fixed, I've not released it yet) - this was simple maths errors when I did those recently.

Going the other way, the 300th scale version of the designed-but-never printed-because it's-so-big Arrifek Assault shuttle of the Jalyrkieon fleet also was also undersized and needed boosting by a third. That, ironically, was one of the first models I was looking at the scaling at all on. (And what I'd done there with that error was multiply the fleet scale to 6mm by 10 and not 13.333 (2 2/3 from 4000th fighter cruiser to 1500 fighter, multiplied by 5 from 1500th to 300th).) Fortunately, as I did a rationale check, increasing size by +33% meant that the Arrifek's troop doors were ACTUALLY now big enough that one of the Jalyrkieonís tanks could fit through them.

Bear in mind that at no point are you ever likely to see a tank and an Arrifek on the table, since I produce the former at 144th scale and even at 6mm, the Arrifek is huge - it's basically twice the length of the biggest model I've printed (as one-off 6mm scale B‚el DŻne fighter cruiser for the space-dwarves for my mate).

While I was there, I also wrote myself a very approximate guide to how big fighters cruisers should be in ďrealĒ size. I use my starship rules Accelerate and Attack, as a guide to attaching numbers to ship sizes; while I donít make my ships just for those rules, there is always an element of the mechanics informing the design and this is no exception. The HFC/HF you will see on the notes there is Accelerate and Attack rules. HF is Hull Factor, a rough guide to vessel size. HFC is Hull Factor Capacity (twice HF) and is used to determine how much of the HF you need to fit the craft inside another craft.) Fighters are HFC 1, whereas small capital ships start out at 6-8 (as those indicated are - very few captial ships are below 10 HF.) and increase up from there. Cruisers are about in the 30-60 range, and very big capital ships up to 150 or more - the big ship in my first scaling file (a Furious Burn) is 120HF by my rules. So it took me a little bit to work on an reasonable approximation to, essentially ďfill the gaps,Ē between HF 0.5 and HF 8 vessels in vaguely coherent manner.

I also did explictly go through an check every hangar on the carriers to ascertain that yes, they were at least big enough to handle the appropriate vessel at their true size (I wasnít too worried about that, I tend to be fairly rigourous on that, and generous with the hangars to boot!)

But this is the level of extra work I put in (a whole day's worth, this time) just to make sure that this stuff is RIGHT!

Okay, now that's done, I have an hour or two to go and do MORE work, this time on making a pass through PF1 spells on the drd/clr/ora/sor/wiz lists to port over to 3.Aotrs (and then just have to pass through all the domains and I might be close to ACTUALY BEING DONE apart from all the spellcehcking and stuff and paginating over several hundred pages split between numerous documents.

No, I literally don't have anything better to do. Though to be fair I was doing this crap BEFORE the great Lock-Down....

1Plus the Star Wars ATR Assault Transport (out of TIE Fighter, principally), which I made for my homebrew SW fleets at both fleet and 6mm scale (which is emphatucally not a model I sell, for obvious reasons).

8. - Top - End - #398
    Halfling in the Playground

Those models look awesome!
    Unfortunately, I'm not smart enough to understand half the things you said, but the parts I did understand interested me .
    I prefer to think of myself as yellow mold. Step on me, and I'll eventually rot your face off.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Colossus in the Playground

Welp. I got laid off. It's not permanent and I'm still employed so luck willing I'll be back at it in two months. Still sucks a lot though!

The good news is, the new artist for my book is working on the cover as we speak. Soon, published!

Ray 01 avatar by Pinkhaired August. C U S T O M!
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Welp. I got laid off. It's not permanent and I'm still employed so luck willing I'll be back at it in two months. Still sucks a lot though!

The good news is, the new artist for my book is working on the cover as we speak. Soon, published!
    I am sorry to hear that you got laid off. It is exciting to hear that you are that much closer to publication though!

11. - Top - End - #401
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    I am sorry to hear that you got laid off. It is exciting to hear that you are that much closer to publication though!
    Yeah! Remember to let us know when we can order copies.
    Iop brain.

12. - Top - End - #402

I have been on furlough for almost 3 weeks now

Side employment:

sig thread is here

13. - Top - End - #403

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    Yeah! Remember to let us know when we can order copies.
    Oh don't worry, I will. I've got a list of "preorders" saved to my notepad

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    The former sucks but the latter has really got me excited.

RIP. Good luck man. I've got two months of that to look forward too!

14. - Top - End - #404
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, geez, Zodi. Glad that you'll still have a job, though. That must help with reassurance. And glad you're getting more BookStuff done.

15. - Top - End - #405

RIP. Good luck man. I've got two months of that to look forward too!
    I am having trouble just making it day by day, never mind 3 freaking months!

Side employment:

sig thread is here

16. - Top - End - #406

BlackDragon

In the UK the government pay 80% of a furloughed person's normal salary, do you have anything similar over there? I heard about the $1200 to each household, but AFAIK that's a one-time thing, not a repeated payment.

17. - Top - End - #407

It's easier on me, I'm remarkably introverted to begin with.

Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

18. - Top - End - #408
    Titan in the Playground

****. I'm cheesed off enough that I might have missed out on a great opportunity by the interview happening the week before lockdown started (so they'll possibly have forgotten when it ends), but at least I'm still working.

And cool, going to see an amazing new work on my Kindle soon!

I just discovered that Big Finish at giving away the first War Doctor drama for free, I'm listening to it and it's amazing. I'm going to have to budget my radio drama purchases so not to empty my bank account within a week.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Titan in the Playground

Derby, UK and Bleak Despair battlestation. Species: Spirit-Bound Skeletal Lich (Lawful Evil)

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    ****. I'm cheesed off enough that I might have missed out on a great opportunity by the interview happening the week before lockdown started (so they'll possibly have forgotten when it ends), but at least I'm still working.

I just discovered that Big Finish at giving away the first War Doctor drama for free, I'm listening to it and it's amazing. I'm going to have to budget my radio drama purchases so not to empty my bank account within a week.
    I can very strongly recommend (to you and anyone else) Lanipator's (of Teamfourstar pof Dragonball Z Abridged fame) Role with Me (the first twenty parts on Lanipator on youtube and the rest on Laniplaytor on youtube) and the Unexpectables (also Teamfourstar related) (I use Takahata101's youtube channel,b tu there's a podcast version too) streams/podcasts/youtube archives if you get short of stuff to listen to. If nothing else, there's A LOT of hours of listening there (I have it on while I'm working/rules-smithing and it's kept me in listening stuff for a lot of months and I've still not caught up with the leading edge. They are excellent roleplayers and both camapigns are different in tone, but both have some very good drama moments (as these people are voice actors, after all) and the Unexpectables in particular is often very funny. (It was described to me like being a bit like a shonen anime tonally, and it's not far wrong in that regard.)

Quote Originally Posted by trtl View Post
    Those models look awesome!
    Unfortunately, I'm not smart enough to understand half the things you said, but the parts I did understand interested me .
    Foir a giggle, then, here's a couple of shots with the render on from the side, which will give a better impression of the sizes...

Spoiler
    Show

You're not having the best run at the moment, are you? My sympathies.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2020-04-09 at 08:34 AM.

20. - Top - End - #410

Good luck Jeenyus! You can do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post

I don't think they'll forget. If they wanted to hire you before plague time, they'll definitely want to after.

D'aw, I hope you like it!

Do the dramas have John Hurt as War Doctor still? He is excellent in the role.

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Foir a giggle, then, here's a couple of shots with the render on from the side, which will give a better impression of the sizes...

Spoiler
    Show

You're not having the best run at the moment, are you? My sympathies.
    I like your spaceship stuff. Seems pretty cool.

Not particularly no! But at the same time, I've got powerful friends and a strong will and wonderful art and words thrown my way, so I will endure. It is what I am good at.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Titan in the Playground

]I don't think they'll forget. If they wanted to hire you before plague time, they'll definitely want to after.

D'aw, I hope you like it!

Do the dramas have John Hurt as War Doctor still? He is excellent in the role.
    Hopefully, if I don't hear anything a week or two after lockdown ends I'll call them and just check the opening hasn't closed.

And I hope I do, if you see four print copies being bought at once that'll be me getting my siblings copies.

And yeah, Hurt is still the War Doctor, still as excellent as you'd expect from an actor of his caliber. I'm a bit sad that it wasn't McGann in the 50th Anniversary special but Hurt is an Amazing doctor, and does amazing in the audio plays.

At the moment it's half price for the Hurt episodes, I might pick up a box set or two, although only one or two episodes will fit on my phone at once. I really should stick an SD card in this thing.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2020-04-09 at 10:12 AM.

22. - Top - End - #412

Good luck Jeenyus! You can do it!
    Maybe tomorrow is the last day, but until then, .. .. ..*Paces in cage*

in other news, with the lack of noisy drug dealers and vehicular traffic, a whooper-will has taken up residence nearby.
    Last edited by Insane Jeenyus; 2020-04-09 at 12:47 PM.

Side employment:

sig thread is here

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    In the UK the government pay 80% of a furloughed person's normal salary, do you have anything similar over there? I heard about the $1200 to each household, but AFAIK that's a one-time thing, not a repeated payment.
    That's true. Only I'm not sure when we can expect checks. Sometime in June, last I heard.

It's easier on me, I'm remarkably introverted to begin with.
    It might be true that I'm less introverted than I thought, though when I say that I'm isolated, I mean isolated. I'm alone in here. I'd probably feel better if I had a cat or something living with me, but I don't even have that.
    Iop brain.

24. - Top - End - #414

It might be true that I'm less introverted than I thought, though when I say that I'm isolated, I mean isolated. I'm alone in here. I'd probably feel better if I had a cat or something living with me, but I don't even have that.
    Oof, that's rough. Do you at least have a backyard and a hammock?

If nothing else I could get away with isolation by playing Sins of a Solar Empire. Game is far and away the biggest time sink for me, and I don't even realize how long I go whole playing.

Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

25. - Top - End - #415
    Ogre in the Playground

Oof, that's rough. Do you at least have a backyard and a hammock?

If nothing else I could get away with isolation by playing Sins of a Solar Empire. Game is far and away the biggest time sink for me, and I don't even realize how long I go whole playing.
    I have a porch swing.

I think I just need some time to adapt. Functionally not existing kind of sucks, but I might be able to get used to it. Maybe I'll have dialed down my neuroses to the point that I can actually have fun with video games again.
    Iop brain.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

What kind of book did you write? Thatís cool! Did you self publish or find an agent? Iíve been working on a YA fantasy novel for a while hoping to get the rough draft done in quarantine in between online classes. And Insayne Jeenyus, is your friend doing alright? Are you? I know loss is difficult and Iím sorry to hear it happened, you and your friend have my condolences.
    Last edited by Solamnicknight; 2020-04-09 at 07:54 PM.

27. - Top - End - #417

I have a porch swing.

I think I just need some time to adapt. Functionally not existing kind of sucks, but I might be able to get used to it. Maybe I'll have dialed down my neuroses to the point that I can actually have fun with video games again.
    So no cat? I would an offer a pic of me to place next to you when you swing, but here is my cat that you can print out for yourself:

Spoiler
    Show

Hang on, tryeing to get a pick off my facebook page

Side employment:

sig thread is here

28. - Top - End - #418
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

So no cat? I would an offer a pic of me to place next to you when you swing, but here is my cat that you can print out for yourself:

Spoiler
    Show

I have 4 cats. Two belong to my sister. Iíll have to upload a picture of my favorite, Gizmo when I can get to my laptop. Currently Iím in bed on my phone. As for me lately, Iím not working but from what I understand Iím still getting paid for now. I am a library page now, love my job and miss it! Iím in a decent mood overall but things have been kinda meh. My Medieval Lit professor assigned a 1400 word paper Iím going to write tomorrow and I just had an aggravating request from a ďfriendĒ that Iíve known since middle school. He wanted to pay me to paint his shed in the middle of a pandemic, and to top it all off my mom is pushing into her late 50s and is a nursing home nurse. I told him heck no and he seems angry, not that I care. Iíve been considering cutting ties with this person anyway. Just frustrating that theyíd ask something like that.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Tell me that you don't plan on fixing this. Because as it is, it's a funny anti-climax!
    Iop brain.

30. - Top - End - #420

Tell me that you don't plan on fixing this. Because as it is, it's a funny anti-climax!
    For what it is worth, Her name is Her Majesty, Queen Frankie Lazyfurbag

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...XTQvXcz209o8FD

Side employment:

sig thread is here