New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Fyraltari's Fiercely Friendly Random Banter Thread #226

Quote Originally Posted by Insane Jeenyus View Post
    For what it is worth, Her name is Her Majesty, Queen Frankie Lazyfurbag

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...XTQvXcz209o8FD
    KITTY!

I may have a weakness for kitties.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #422
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I feel like that I'm a psychic warrior. I worked out and I'm intuitive. Intuitive is the same as psychic.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I feel like that I'm a psychic warrior. I worked out and I'm intuitive. Intuitive is the same as psychic.
    Izzat so? So, would you be a veteran of the psychic wars?

4. - Top - End - #424
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    Izzat so? So, would you be a veteran of the psychic wars?
    Good one but no I'm still a psychic warrior in training.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Solamnicknight View Post
    What kind of book did you write? That’s cool! Did you self publish or find an agent? I’ve been working on a YA fantasy novel for a while hoping to get the rough draft done in quarantine in between online classes. And Insayne Jeenyus, is your friend doing alright? Are you? I know loss is difficult and I’m sorry to hear it happened, you and your friend have my condolences.
    A modern/urban fantasy novel with YA and romance elements, and a fair amount of violence. Main character is a girl who ends up discovering the truth of supernatural stuff in society and having to deal with that and how it messes up her daily life.

I've got the preliminary sketch for the cover here, if y'all are curious.

------

I've always figured Bartmanhomer was one of the Men Who Stare At Goats.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2020-04-09 at 11:43 PM.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    A modern/urban fantasy novel with YA and romance elements, and a fair amount of violence. Main character is a girl who ends up discovering the truth of supernatural stuff in society and having to deal with that and how it messes up her daily life.

I've got the preliminary sketch for the cover here, if y'all are curious.
    Thanks! I appreciate having a clearer idea of what I'm signing up for. See ya in the book thread, even if I have to start it myself.

I guess I should have linked Boston instead of Blue Oyster Cult. Oh, well. I stand by my music references.
    Last edited by The Fury; 2020-04-10 at 12:06 AM.

7. - Top - End - #427

Thanks! I appreciate having a clearer idea of what I'm signing up for. See ya in the book thread, even if I have to start it myself.

I guess I should have linked Boston instead of Blue Oyster Cult. Oh, well. I stand by my music references.
    I've mentioned it before, but it is always good to restate what my book is for when people ask. I wanna make sure they know about it! And ooh, excited!

Hey now, Blue Oyster Cult is still very very good. You did the right decision.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Titan in the Playground

I'm always a sucker for a good urban fantasy novel (just picked up the first Alex Verus book a couple of days ago) so I'll keep an eye on any thread you make for your upcoming book.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ogre in the Playground

I've mentioned it before, but it is always good to restate what my book is for when people ask. I wanna make sure they know about it! And ooh, excited!
    I know, though now I have an idea about the cover art too!

10. - Top - End - #430

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    I'm always a sucker for a good urban fantasy novel (just picked up the first Alex Verus book a couple of days ago) so I'll keep an eye on any thread you make for your upcoming book.
    I don't think I, personally, can make a thread. Do keep an eye out though~

I know, though now I have an idea about the cover art too!
    Heck yeah! I can't begin to explain the emotions I felt when I got the cover for the first time. It's a strange thing since all I really did was write the scene and give art direction to the artist, they're the one who did the hard work of making it come to life visually, but I can't help but look at that cover and go "I made this. I didn't draw it, but I MADE this."

11. - Top - End - #431
    Titan in the Playground

What is Young Adult fiction anyway? Considering at this point I see it being read more then adult fiction I recommend we start merging the genres.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

12. - Top - End - #432

Oh man, it's been a whole since I thought about that movie. It was a wild ride IIRC.
    Hey now, Blue Oyster Cult is still very very good. You did the right decision.
    This is purely opinion-based, but no one should ever miss a chance to link to Boston. Who doesn't like Boston?

13. - Top - End - #433

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    What is Young Adult fiction anyway? Considering at this point I see it being read more then adult fiction I recommend we start merging the genres.
    Believe it or not this is a question that could set a house on fire. People have had long, winding discussions in literary circles about it. Nominally, "YA" as a descriptor means nothing. It is a genre that has slide across trends as history has moved on. The general idea is that it is a novel intended for young adults. It will deal with young adult things, like "aah, school is almost done" and "dating and kissing boys and girls" and often symbolic things like "you're in a death game but it actually represents how society chews up and spits out children until they get the matching image they want".

I've always preferred the term New Adult for my novel, because it has some very mild swearing and the sort of violence you might see in a Shonen manga, but also said violence, and the novel's themes, are tackled in a rather grounded, real way that makes it bite a bit more than say, Hungar Game's damning critique of society that is ludicrously presented and as such feels ludicrous and thus more "young".

Ultimately, book classification is much like animal classification. It's mostly just made up nonsense because words don't really mean anything they're just strange mouth sounds that we've unilaterally agreed have worth.

... this definitely came off as way more rambly than I intended. Basically YA novels are, in general, an exaggerated look at things which symbolically represent troubles that a young adult may face. New Adult novels tend to be a bit more adult, and tend to strip away some of the fantastical to treat it in a touch more grounded a sense. Thus, Initial Sparks feels more NA than YA to me, but this definition is functionally arbitrary.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Oh man, it's been a whole since I thought about that movie. It was a wild ride IIRC.

This is purely opinion-based, but no one should ever miss a chance to link to Boston. Who doesn't like Boston?
    Boston is also good!
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2020-04-10 at 07:57 AM.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Believe it or not this is a question that could set a house on fire. People have had long, winding discussions in literary circles about it. Nominally, "YA" as a descriptor means nothing. It is a genre that has slide across trends as history has moved on. The general idea is that it is a novel intended for young adults. It will deal with young adult things, like "aah, school is almost done" and "dating and kissing boys and girls" and often symbolic things like "you're in a death game but it actually represents how society chews up and spits out children until they get the matching image they want".

I've always preferred the term New Adult for my novel, because it has some very mild swearing and the sort of violence you might see in a Shonen manga, but also said violence, and the novel's themes, are tackled in a rather grounded, real way that makes it bite a bit more than say, Hungar Game's damning critique of society that is ludicrously presented and as such feels ludicrous and thus more "young".

Ultimately, book classification is much like animal classification. It's mostly just made up nonsense because words don't really mean anything they're just strange mouth sounds that we've unilaterally agreed have worth.

... this definitely came off as way more rambly than I intended. Basically YA novels are, in general, an exaggerated look at things which symbolically represent troubles that a young adult may face. New Adult novels tend to be a bit more adult, and tend to strip away some of the fantastical to treat it in a touch more grounded a sense. Thus, Initial Sparks feels more NA than YA to me, but this definition is functionally arbitrary.
    I usually think young adult means no sex, after all, young adults are too young to legally have sex, and adults reading about them having it would put the adults in trouble.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Good one but no I'm still a psychic warrior in training.
    Blue Oyster Cult is one of the more unique bands to come out of the classic rock era. Also, LaZodiac that novel sounds really interesting! I’ll likely look into it when it comes out.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    I usually think young adult means no sex, after all, young adults are too young to legally have sex, and adults reading about them having it would put the adults in trouble.
    But apparently huge amounts of gore and horrific things are fine (see, for example, Skullduggery Pleasant - no, seriously, you should it has a (co-)protagonist Lich in it in everyway but name), because of course the stupid sex/violence double standard that is so patently ridiculous exists and I'm saying that as someone who PREFERS IT THE WAY AROUND IT IS. That's how cosmically dumb it is.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Depends on your country, here 'Young Adult' generally means targeted at 14-18 year olds, which means it behind at 'we going to try to ignore the sex you're having' to 'we're going to pretend you're not still having sex', with it being legal slap bang in the middle.

Anyway, we're now doing staff lunches at work, starting from Monday, until the end of plague times, and I thought to be nice one day I'll do homemade pizzas.

Now making the dough isn't the problem, I'll have tone for that, the problem is that I have to work out how to assemble and bake enough pizza for 60-70 (so we're talking like 20-30 full sized pizzas here) in an hour and a half, without a pizza stone. I know it can be done*, thin crusts save the day, but that's not going to be a fun experience.

* Because I can bake four at once.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

18. - Top - End - #438
    Ogre in the Playground

In this case, I feel like the relevant Boston song is one that most everyone knows. The relevant Blue Oyster Cult song is one that folks might not be familiar with, so I might have introduced people to something new.

Expanding people's musical horizons: One of the many services I provide!

19. - Top - End - #439
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Portlanders, Mainely.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

20. - Top - End - #440
    Titan in the Playground

In this case, I feel like the relevant Boston song is one that most everyone knows.
    Cities release albums now?

Show

21. - Top - End - #441
    Barbarian in the Playground

I got a call from work for yet another week of ferlow

as to Veteran of the Psychic War by BOC is one of the best songs from animated movie "Heavy Metal"

and A. Non Wizard, .. .. ..Sure! Boston has been making music for a long time now.
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

22. - Top - End - #442
    Troll in the Playground

Something for YA novels is that generally for that classification the protagonist is going to be specifically in the "mid-to late teens" that the book is aiming to cater to, for maximum relatability.
    (But, yeah, it's a nebulous term, especially since "YA author" certainly doesn't carry with it much prestige, unfortunately. Just like all those classic 'sci-fi' literatures that people insist totally aren't sci-fi.)

23. - Top - End - #443
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    (But, yeah, it's a nebulous term, especially since "YA author" certainly doesn't carry with it much prestige, unfortunately. Just like all those classic 'sci-fi' literatures that people insist totally aren't sci-fi.)
    I mean, a lot of science fiction authors claim that...

Show

24. - Top - End - #444

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Cities release albums now?
    Super awesome albums.

Not as awesome albums released by fake medieval torture devices or apostate clerics, but still.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-04-10 at 03:10 PM.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Titan in the Playground

Super awesome albums.

Not as awesome albums released by fake medieval torture devices or apostate clerics, but still.
    What about the albums of armor shoes or catholic werewolves?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

26. - Top - End - #446
    Titan in the Playground

Mentioning Shonen as a "genre" is probably the best comparison, yeah. Young Adult is less a genre and more a target demographic, the same as Shonen (which means pretty much the same thing), but they also both have become associated with certain genres and conventions; Shonen battle manga are the first thing people think of, the same as "Urban Fantasy Romance" or "Dystopian future rebel stories" tend to be the most prominent YA works.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Ok here's a theoretical question. Let just said you're a human who's friends with a Slaad and a Modron. They hated each other because of obvious ethical reasons. Both of the Slaad and Modron want the human to choose a side. Should the human get involved in their fight or stay out of it?

28. - Top - End - #448
    Titan in the Playground

*says "frack it, can't have proper Easter holiday, so taking today/tomorrow off"*

*proceeds to work on 3.Aotrs spells, upgrading and tweaking all Bleakbane-created spells, many fo which needed work*

*In doing so, ends up re-writing entire cosmology and rules for home campaign world vis a vis planes and elemental energy, because did insist on adding more energy damage types*

*much looking on wikipedia, trying to work out how to combine modern physics with classical element theory*

*does something close to what he had previously but a bt tighter, at least, now privative of electricity is renamed "nether" (from darkning) and whoe plane is now the Dark Matter plane, basically, and replaced pane of Lightning with plane of Plasma, because now there are four primary states of matter, not three (and a host of others, but they can be demiplanes if it ever comes up...)

*has a LOT or work to do making changes to spells which have previously been altered to be altered back or changed a bit, but has simplified things at least and will have properly integrated new energy damage...*

29. - Top - End - #449
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    *says "frack it, can't have proper Easter holiday, so taking today/tomorrow off"*

*proceeds to work on 3.Aotrs spells, upgrading and tweaking all Bleakbane-created spells, many fo which needed work*

*In doing so, ends up re-writing entire cosmology and rules for home campaign world vis a vis planes and elemental energy, because did insist on adding more energy damage types*

*much looking on wikipedia, trying to work out how to combine modern physics with classical element theory*

*does something close to what he had previously but a bt tighter, at least, now privative of electricity is renamed "nether" (from darkning) and whoe plane is now the Dark Matter plane, basically, and replaced pane of Lightning with plane of Plasma, because now there are four primary states of matter, not three (and a host of others, but they can be demiplanes if it ever comes up...)

*has a LOT or work to do making changes to spells which have previously been altered to be altered back or changed a bit, but has simplified things at least and will have properly integrated new energy damage...*
    It's Easter coming up already? Boy how time flies.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post

The way I do it (if you are using Aristole's 4 elements) is state that Fire, Air, Earth, and Water are poetic name of the 4 states of matter.

Stuff like Lightning is Air dealing with Fire's influence (high energy states). It chucks it at the Earth because Fire opposes Earth, so that's the easiest way to get it out of the way.

This may break down at some edge cases for you, but it works for me.

ION, once you switch to an ergonomic setup, that's hen you notice how much pain yo were in before all this.