New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Fyraltari's Fiercely Friendly Random Banter Thread #226

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I'm glad to see Plague Times have gotten everyone starting to go stir crazy.
    My schedule is still unchanged. Granted, the store is way less busy than normal and our sanitizing machines are selling slightly better, so it's pretty relaxing overall, but ain't homebound yet.

I say wistfully, gazing out the window at the 64º morning that was beckoning me and my hammock earlier today.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

I know I kinda am. I recorded and edited like five or six videos in two days.
    It's pretty much business as usual for me. The only irritations are A) the lack of clarity on how my University Classes will handle everything, and B) that my roommate is having his girlfriend over a lot more, and I'm frustrated because they can't seem to do anything quietly. Kissing? I can hear that several rooms away. TV? Super loud. Mock-condescension conversations with each other? Frustratingly audible. Slap fights? That travels through walls, guys.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    So what about people who aren't attracted to any people?
    By definition aren't discriminating

I mean, I get the entire 'having preferences isn't bad' argument, and that sometimes it is better to discriminate than have all the secondary Indian characters played by Indian actors, but the main Indian character played by a white man in (honestly relatively well done) brownface. But that doesn't mean it doesn't feel weird to discriminate so strongly in one aspect of my life.

I resent the implication I was sane before all this started!

And unlike some people I'm going to have even more work to do once my week long holiday ends. I'm just hoping the company from last week gets back to me soon, I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and see what's up.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    EDIT: I still remember helping my dad run a Three Musketeers game at Salute. Honestly I'm a bit sad he never actually turned the rules into a generic swashnbuckling miniatures game, it would have been fun.
    Now I'm sad too! Because I would definitely have played that.

I am increasingly worried about Salute because it's only a month away and this is showing no signs of getting better. At the moment it's still on, but that surely can't last. I suspect that's as much because of the financial ramifications of cancelling as much as anything. The Warlords are a gaming club so they're not going to be awash with cash and I can't imagine a booking at Excel is likely to be cheap.

Meanwhile for the smaller businesses that make up the majority of the trade stands at Salute (GW and Foundry will be fine) cancellation could be a disaster, not so much for lost sales on the day as because it's one of their major marketing events of the year. The majority of companies I now buy from (other than Foundry) are companies I encountered there, either stumbling across their stall (Warlord, Freebooter, Victrix) or looking them up because they were attending and the event gave me a chance to inspect the goods in person (Baccus, Tumbling Dice).

If Salute is cancelled and this goes on another month beyond then and takes out Partizan too I wouldn't be surprised if we see a fair number of smaller miniatures manufacturers go to the wall this year.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post

I am increasingly worried about Salute because it's only a month away and this is showing no signs of getting better. At the moment it's still on, but that surely can't last. I suspect that's as much because of the financial ramifications of cancelling as much as anything. The Warlords are a gaming club so they're not going to be awash with cash and I can't imagine a booking at Excel is likely to be cheap.

Meanwhile for the smaller businesses that make up the majority of the trade stands at Salute (GW and Foundry will be fine) cancellation could be a disaster, not so much for lost sales on the day as because it's one of their major marketing events of the year. The majority of companies I now buy from (other than Foundry) are companies I encountered there, either stumbling across their stall (Warlord, Freebooter, Victrix) or looking them up because they were attending and the event gave me a chance to inspect the goods in person (Baccus, Tumbling Dice).

If Salute is cancelled and this goes on another month beyond then and takes out Partizan too I wouldn't be surprised if we see a fair number of smaller miniatures manufacturers go to the wall this year.
    The ones I talked to at Hammerhead were fairly philosphical about it, but not to the point that they were worried about going to the wall yet. (After all, one feels that Internest Shopping is likely only going to go up is people are stuck at home...)

Partizan is very likely cancelled, they said they were going to wait until the 2nd before making a decision, but I very much doubt that they will keep it on in the current situation (though who knows what the next couple of weeks will be like).

I know the NEC gardener's world show in already cancelled (which seems a bit silly, as that's all the way into mid-June).

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I'm upset at the moment because toilet paper sold out at two Duane Reade stores that I went after lunch.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

As an introvert who works from home, I have left my apartment the exact normal number of times so far.
    Quotes!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    BY THE HEAVENS! Dimonite! You are even more awesome than I thought!
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    *high fives!*
    That was awesome, made me smile.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witch-King View Post
    THIS aberrant, ancient evil ain't no playa! I'm gonna take care of my little Meduthids and my Spawnling Mama! Besides which--the Old Ones know the Elder Brain keeps pestering me about giving it some Grandspawnlings...
    The Neutralizer - my 3.5 class that attempts to make wizards less OP.
    Fantastic dragonpuppy drawn by my sister in the ancient times.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Not really. Apart from that, I'm going to make another homebrew D&D 3.5 deity based on Pathfinder and my plans at home this weekend. Also, I'm very happy most of the time anyway.
    That sounds nice. 100% sincere, here.
    As for me, I think I should avoid taking about my mood for a while.

Oh, I was going stir-crazy when the possibility of lockdown was even brought up. At least you're being productive.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Unfortunately we only got it working with the one scenario. My dad did that a couple of times though, run participation games based more around being a chance to relax than anything else, with stunning scenery and beautifully painted miniatures (people sometimes get confused as to why I get so disappointed with pre-painted minis, most people didn't grow up in a house with hundreds of beautifully painted figures). We spent the better part of a year getting it to all work as we wanted to, having the musketeers just that little bit more likely to win.

I mean, it's been years since I was last there, but yeah I'm somewhat worried. I was hoping to drop by next year and see what's new in the world of 15mm.

ION my friends have decided I sound like Simon Lane from Yogscast. They're kind of right, the similarities are unnerving (although I am much less eloquent).

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

10. - Top - End - #40

ION my friends have decided I sound like Simon Lane from Yogscast. They're kind of right, the similarities are unnerving (although I am much less eloquent).
    I'm too old to know what a Yogscast is.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    That sounds nice. 100% sincere, here.
    As for me, I think I should avoid taking about my mood for a while.

Oh, I was going stir-crazy when the possibility of lockdown was even brought up. At least you're being productive.
    That's good. Take care.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

see what's new in the world of 15mm.
    12mm is better.

*clearly not at all biased*

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

As an introvert with no current employment, I'm still going a bit stir-crazy because it was nice to be able to go get pizza for lunch or do one of the two meatspace social activities (gaming group and support group) I was involved in. Also a lot of potential employers are putting a halt on hiring.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    12mm is better.

*clearly not at all biased*
    For me it's either 28-32mm or 6mm. I don't hold with these halfway house scales. 10, 12, 15, 20mm? Pah, I say!

Or vehicular scales, like 2400:1.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

15. - Top - End - #45
    Colossus in the Playground

Every single one of you gave me powerfully good responses to the point where I can't really quote all of you to heap appropriate praise.

What's really great is that I basically am doing as much work now as I did going to work properly. Hell yeah.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

Every single one of you gave me powerfully good responses to the point where I can't really quote all of you to heap appropriate praise.

What's really great is that I basically am doing as much work now as I did going to work properly. Hell yeah.
    ...wait, my "things really aren't different for me" is praise-worthy? I feel you got your wires crossed.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Hartnell era Daleks are weird. They're like, focused on things other than extermination.

Also, silly request, anybody willing to look over my online dating profile to help me work out where the creep and the fail is? Considering I'm reworking it anyway...

I'm off to bed, I'm as tired as a giant lorry, and to much like a bicycle to be productive today. Wanted to work on my fantasy novel, but didn't have the energy.

Show

18. - Top - End - #48

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    ...wait, my "things really aren't different for me" is praise-worthy? I feel you got your wires crossed.
    Same. I feel like praise for not getting to be in a hammock is the opposite of how things should work!

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

For me it's either 28-32mm or 6mm. I don't hold with these halfway house scales. 10, 12, 15, 20mm? Pah, I say!

Or vehicular scales, like 2400:1.
    28-32mm is scale better suited for painting/modelling. (Myself, I don't play wargames to have an excuse to paint figures, I paint figures to play wargames.) It's okay for urban conflicts which are mostly infantry based, and of course roleplaying games.

At 6mm, you cannot have the requisite amount of terrain density to have a realisitic map to use proper real-world tactics. (I.e. really hard thinking exercises.) You can't do Maneouvre Group, which is basically a real-world tactics simulator, at 6mm scale; it's too fiddly. (Because you have to do thing like turn the tank turrets, because your tanks can't see everywhere.)

6mm (and close approximation) is fine for BattleTech (but that, in essence, is nearly 28mm just lensed differently, because your key elements are pretty much the same size/proportional board share).

144 is the ideal scale for moderns/sci-fi, since vehicles are sensibly small enough (which also makes them a goodly chunk cheaper) you can have a reasonable number and still have room to maneouvre. (And I mean "maneouvre," not "be incapable of moving far enough to cross the board in less than 10 bounds" like a large number of wargames rules.) But which are big enough to allow you to turn the turrets sensibly. With village template and fold-flat buildings, you can locate an urban area enough to be able to properly fight over it (urban areas should have at least ten buildings, and far more buildings than infantry units) which priorly, you'd have to fight at 25/28. (This is becase at the klarger scales, you can afford to have a mm or two displacement in putting troop into or out of your building, where as at small scale, your margin for error is far less).

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    I don't see how what I posted was helpful either. If it was though... Cool?

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

If D&D Dragons Deities (Bahamut, Tamara, Hlal, Tiamat, Faluzure, Garyx, Io, Astilbaor, Chronepsis, Sardior, Lendys and Aasterinian) were playing Super Smash Bros (N64, Melee, Brawl, 4 and Ultimate) were fighters would they main in all version? (It can be with any character they choose.)

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

If D&D Dragons Deities (Bahamut, Tamara, Hlal, Tiamat, Faluzure, Garyx, Io, Astilbaor, Chronepsis, Sardior, Lendys and Aasterinian) were playing Super Smash Bros (N64, Melee, Brawl, 4 and Ultimate) were fighters would they main in all version? (It can be with any character they choose.)
    All different colours of Bowser, I'd presume. Because they are all dragons, after all.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    All different colours of Bowser, I'd presume. Because they are all dragons, after all.
    Ok but Bowser is not even in Smash Bros. N64.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Ok but Bowser is not even in Smash Bros. N64.
    But he is in Brawl and Melee, yes?

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    But he is in Brawl and Melee, yes?
    Yes, he is in Brawl and Melee.

26. - Top - End - #56

Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    As an introvert who works from home, I have left my apartment the exact normal number of times so far.
    As an extrovert who works from home as of three days ago, I'm pretty sure I've spent more time cooped up at home in the last couple of days than I had in the preceding month. My neck of the woods pretty much went on lockdown at the start of the week and it's already wearin' me down something fierce. I can understand the necessity but boy is it gonna be a tribulation for the next couple of weeks (at the minimum).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

27. - Top - End - #57

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    As an extrovert who works from home as of three days ago, I'm pretty sure I've spent more time cooped up at home in the last couple of days than I had in the preceding month. My neck of the woods pretty much went on lockdown at the start of the week and it's already wearin' me down something fierce. I can understand the necessity but boy is it gonna be a tribulation for the next couple of weeks (at the minimum).
    Eh, just get Sins of a Solar Empire. It'll be three weeks from now before you know it! Because time will cease to have meaning and I will save and quit right after I get this next planet I promise.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Ugh. Deliberately avoiding my dumb brand of humor and talking about how upset I'm feeling isn't working. Especially since I just got dumped over text and I have nowhere else to talk about it.

29. - Top - End - #59

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Eh, just get Sins of a Solar Empire. It'll be three weeks from now before you know it! Because time will cease to have meaning and I will save and quit right after I get this next planet I promise.
    As a matter of fact I did decide to snag a new game not too long ago (Pillars of Eternity Deadfire, for the curious). It hasn't really changed my sentiments on the present circumstances since I'm not much of a gamer and can only really stand to play anything for an hour or so before getting tired of it, but at least I get to be a pirate in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    Ugh. Deliberately avoiding my dumb brand of humor and talking about how upset I'm feeling isn't working. Especially since I just got dumped over text and I have nowhere else to talk about it.
    Dang, that's brutal. Breakups ain't no fun as it is, doing it over text though? That's just not cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    Dang, that's brutal. Breakups ain't no fun as it is, doing it over text though? That's just not cool.
    To their credit, they tried to let me down easy. There's still enough vagueness that I'm not sure what I did do or didn't do. Mostly I just feel pathetic. I've been afraid for a long time that anything good I touch turns to garbage. I guess that was right after all. I'd feel a little less lonely about the whole thing if I could talk about to anyone in my friend group, but they've got too much going on as it is.

...Phew. I'll try to post something less depressing. Maybe some jokes, yeah? They won't be funny but still.