New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Fyraltari's Fiercely Friendly Random Banter Thread #226

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Not standardised, not a legal distinction. Some companies capitalise on this...
    Oh, we're big fans of no legal distinction, apparently. Let me tell you about organic food....
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #92
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Funimation has suspended all dubbing indefinitely.

I mean, it's the right decision, safety of everyone first. But still...
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    And I'd show you how I imagine Canadians if youtube had that Corner Gas clip where Hank is confused about when to use metric vs American Customary Units.
    It just so happens that I have a convenient graphic saved for situations like this!

(I don't actually use F for pool temps, but I also don't tend to spend much time around them to know if that's customary - almost drowned as a kid, so, uh, not the biggest fan of water. Unfortunately, I live on an island, but... thems the breaks, I guess. )

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, we're big fans of no legal distinction, apparently. Let me tell you about organic food....
    To be fair, American chocolate can't be sold as chocolate in the UK (and to be extra fair, UK chocolate can't be sold as chocolate on the continent). You're also the only country I've seen that has, in addition to cheese, cheese product and imitation cheese product.

Although if you all think cider doesn't need fermenting I'd hate to see what happens to Fantastic Mister Fox over there.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    What on Earth.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

In the UK, we use a mix in practise. Metric has been taught as the default and official system since I was a lad, as far as I can recall, but imperial tends to perculate through; mostly for distances and people's height and weight and especially for roleplayers. Basically no-one uses kilometres instead of miles outside of engineering/etc for distance. So I am conversant in miles, yards (I mean, that's basically just a metre), feet, inches and pounds (though stone I've traditionally never "got.") For engineering, though, it's all metric. (I have infrequently used feet when doing CAD scribble-models for roleplaying stuff, but only because I had already described everything in feet, usually.)

Don't really know what is used for cooking (temperature is now all ºC, not ºF, though), because my cooking skills begin and end at "microwave" and very infrquent "oven to cook a pie or cheese on toast."

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    In the UK, we use a mix in practise. Metric has been taught as the default and official system since I was a lad, as far as I can recall, but imperial tends to perculate through; mostly for distances and people's height and weight and especially for roleplayers. Basically no-one uses kilometres instead of miles outside of engineering/etc for distance. So I am conversant in miles, yards (I mean, that's basically just a metre), feet, inches and pounds (though stone I've traditionally never "got.") For engineering, though, it's all metric. (I have infrequently used feet when doing CAD scribble-models for roleplaying stuff, but only because I had already described everything in feet, usually.)

Don't really know what is used for cooking (temperature is now all ºC, not ºF, though), because my cooking skills begin and end at "microwave" and very infrquent "oven to cook a pie or cheese on toast."
    Back when I was in school we were taught basic SI to Imperial conversions (e.g. ~2.5cm per inch, 2.2 pounds to the kilo, fluid ounces are stupid and should never be used), but yeah in reality it's a mix. For two reasons, 1) the government refuses to update the road signage to kilometers (and we can leave that one there), and 2) some people are so attached to idiotic units that they decided to burn the shop down.

As a side note, this one annoys me. Engineering/science does not use metric, they use SI. There's a lot of shared units, but metric doesn't cover everything.

But it leads to a weird case where most people flip between the two systems as needed, a few die hards cling to Imperial like the units are suddenly going to become usable, and scientists/engineers will tend to use SI exclusively*. I mean, I had no choice, there are no Imperial units in my field, but I understand from my mecheng friends that you just use SI, no ifs ands or buts. It weirds me out that US engineers are willing to use a knockoff Imperial system.

* EDIT: by which I mean yes, some of us will convert in our heads on the fly if needed.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2020-03-20 at 07:01 AM.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    As a side note, this one annoys me. Engineering/science does not use metric, they use SI. There's a lot of shared units, but metric doesn't cover everything.
    My apologises, my increasing base-state rage is making me slightly less thorough than usual, you're right, of course, I meant SI. It's also been twenty years since I did my engineering course when I was actually using those skills for something outside what is ostensibly just to support my wargaming and roleplaying (and random [cigarette]-packet calculations), so the proper name of the system had geninely just slipped my mind.)
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2020-03-20 at 07:24 AM.

9. - Top - End - #99

It just so happens that I have a convenient graphic saved for situations like this!

(I don't actually use F for pool temps, but I also don't tend to spend much time around them to know if that's customary - almost drowned as a kid, so, uh, not the biggest fan of water. Unfortunately, I live on an island, but... thems the breaks, I guess. )
    I love it!

Also, don't worry, I love water enough for the both of us.
    To be fair, American chocolate can't be sold as chocolate in the UK (and to be extra fair, UK chocolate can't be sold as chocolate on the continent). You're also the only country I've seen that has, in addition to cheese, cheese product and imitation cheese product.
    You're forgetting about cheese food!

10. - Top - End - #100
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

To be fair, when I buy UHT milk (the kind you can store in the cupboard for like 6 months), it doesn't actually call itself milk anywhere on the packet, although the bulk of the ingredients are milk (the remainder are vitamins and minerals).

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

You're forgetting about cheese food!
    Your cheese needs feeding?

Show

12. - Top - End - #102
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

It weirds me out that US engineers are willing to use a knockoff Imperial system.
    Know what's even weirder? US customary units (aka your "knockoff Imperial system" ) are all defined in terms of metric units these days.

13. - Top - End - #103

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    What on Earth.
    Culturally, Canada is a mixture of Europe and American sensibilities.

This extends to everything, for good or bad.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

What on Earth.
    As Zodi said, Canada's... a very strange mix when it comes to stuff like that. If America followed through on ditching imperial, we'd probably be fully metric, but... well, we know that story.

I love it!
    Can't take credit for it, though. Was on reddit.

15. - Top - End - #105

Can't take credit for it, though. Was on reddit.
    From what I've learned about reddit, that means you're supposed to take credit for it.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Thank you, everyone for being so supportive. The facts that this relationship was sort of a linchpin for staying in my friend group, and it seems like it was my fault is well... bad. I can probably readjust to being mostly alone again and I might never be in a close friend group again. That's OK though, I'll survive and maybe certain kinds of relationships aren't for me. Maybe this is due to having a really strange sense of humor, but the existential dread of getting confirmation of my worst fears about myself and the affects I have on people in my life... It's sort of funny.

Which reminds me, I did promise a joke.

Spoiler: What has a bottom at its top?
    Show
    Legs.

I didn't promise that it'd be good. I'm still too depressed to delude myself into thinking I'm funny. Sorry, I'll shut up about this for a bit.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Must be this stuff:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casu_marzu
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

18. - Top - End - #108

"Cheese" has to be 100% cheese. "Cheese product" has to be at least 51% cheese (and why go higher when you don't need to?). "Cheese food" can be less than 51% cheese.

19. - Top - End - #109

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    Thank you, everyone for being so supportive. The facts that this relationship was sort of a linchpin for staying in my friend group, and it seems like it was my fault is well... bad. I can probably readjust to being mostly alone again and I might never be in a close friend group again. That's OK though, I'll survive and maybe certain kinds of relationships aren't for me. Maybe this is due to having a really strange sense of humor, but the existential dread of getting confirmation of my worst fears about myself and the affects I have on people in my life... It's sort of funny.

Which reminds me, I did promise a joke.

Spoiler: What has a bottom at its top?
    Show
    Legs.

I didn't promise that it'd be good. I'm still too depressed to delude myself into thinking I'm funny. Sorry, I'll shut up about this for a bit.
    That was funny, and don't beat yourself up. You're good people, Fury.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

From what I've learned about reddit, that means you're supposed to take credit for it.
    Sorry, I don't internet well. I very much have had it drilled into me that you don't take credit where credit isn't due. Though, admittedly, occasionally that means I don't take credit where it is due, but...

21. - Top - End - #111

Sorry, I don't internet well. I very much have had it drilled into me that you don't take credit where credit isn't due. Though, admittedly, occasionally that means I don't take credit where it is due, but...
    I was just joking on the quantity of reposts on reddit.

Also, jeez. You don't listen to music, you don't like to swim, you don't internet well... well, actually, no, that does sound like what I'd expect from a fancy robotic ninja.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground

I was just joking on the quantity of reposts on reddit.

Also, jeez. You don't listen to music, you don't like to swim, you don't internet well... well, actually, no, that does sound like what I'd expect from a fancy robotic ninja.
    Oh, oops. I am bad at taking things at anything besides face value (hence why I tend to overuse smilies and other such things in my text, to make sure I'm conveying my own tone properly).

And I feel like fancy is giving me too much credit.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Well, it's official, base anger state has reached the point I can no longer focus on my work (not that it MATTERS at the moment whether I do or not) nor on anything else. Internal filters straining maximum capacity to remain capable of civil communication.

24. - Top - End - #114

Oh, oops. I am bad at taking things at anything besides face value
    Well that's problematic, considering that I say very little at face value and usually just go for a joke.

Or, in your case, a fancy joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Well, it's official, base anger state has reached the point I can no longer focus on my work (not that it MATTERS at the moment whether I do or not) nor on anything else. Internal filters straining maximum capacity to remain capable of civil communication.
    ...anything I can help with?

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    That was funny, and don't beat yourself up. You're good people, Fury.
    Funny? The joke or the existential dread?

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    Funny? The joke or the existential dread?
    The joke. But not gonna lie, this post also made me chuckle. Not at your dread, but more in sympathy.

ION: it is hard to get work done at home with spoiled dogs around.
    Last edited by Mith; 2020-03-20 at 02:25 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

...anything I can help with?
    Realistically, no.

Having difficulty unclenching hands from fists long enough to reply. Already pushed boundaries of how far I can afford to let myself... go? Speak?

Attempting to migitate anger through expression via writing up and then deleting/editing/toning down - mostly deleting - is not having usual effect; minor distraction for a few minutes only. Better than nothing? Perhaps.

Cannot even manage to summon enough detachment, to, for instance, fire up Stellaris, force humans empires to spawn and go on Determined Exterminator rampage.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    The joke. But not gonna lie, this post also made me chuckle. Not at your dread, but more in sympathy.
    The best existential dread is the funny kind. Life’s a joke, might as well laugh along.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey, I thought my feelings of dread were funny.

ION: it is hard to get work done at home with spoiled dogs around.
    Sounds like a cute problem to have. Like you're trying to be productive but doggo wants you to throw a tennis ball for him? Aw. I know which I would pick.

The best existential dread is the funny kind. Life’s a joke, might as well laugh along.
    I know, right? I'm just recalling the last few days in a way that makes them at least sort of funny to me. It's like for the last few years I've been sorting through my emotional problems with self talk, "OK, The Fury just remember-- people want you, not what you can do for them. It might seem like your friends only tolerate you, and don't really want you there, but that's just irrational fear getting the better of you in the moment and it'll pass. You'll be OK."

Then life was like, "Psyche! Yeah, those moments where you doubted yourself and your place in the world? Yeah, those weren't irrational fears getting the better of you. Those were rare moments of clarity. Ha!"

...Well, I thought it was funny.
    Last edited by The Fury; 2020-03-20 at 03:05 PM.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I feel like that there should be a D&D or Pathfinder movie called"Alignment" it just like in the NBC TV show Heroes. It's about nine people with nine different alignments trying to make a choice for the sake of Good, Evil, Law, Chaos and Neutral. So what do you think of my idea? I think it should be a good movie.