New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Fyraltari's Fiercely Friendly Random Banter Thread #226

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I feel like that there should be a D&D or Pathfinder movie called"Alignment" it just like in the NBC TV show Heroes. It's about nine people with nine different alignments trying to make a choice for the sake of Good, Evil, Law, Chaos and Neutral. So what do you think of my idea? I think it should be a good movie.
    I think the market would be severely limited to begin with, and that's even if you add a plot.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I think the market would be severely limited to begin with, and that's even if you add a plot.
    I think it'd work as a sitcom if you dialed up the humor. Possibly as a webcomic.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I think the market would be severely limited, to begin with, and that's even if you add a plot.
    So it's going to be very bad, right?

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    I think it'd work as a sitcom if you dialled up the humour. Possibly as a webcomic.
    Humour. Ok, this could work.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Hey, I thought my feelings of dread were funny.

Sounds like a cute problem to have. Like you're trying to be productive but doggo wants you to throw a tennis ball for him? Aw. I know which I would pick.

I know, right? I'm just recalling the last few days in a way that makes them at least sort of funny to me. It's like for the last few years I've been sorting through my emotional problems with self talk, "OK, The Fury just remember-- people want you, not what you can do for them. It might seem like your friends only tolerate you, and don't really want you there, but that's just irrational fear getting the better of you in the moment and it'll pass. You'll be OK."

Then life was like, "Psyche! Yeah, those moments where you doubted yourself and your place in the world? Yeah, those weren't irrational fears getting the better of you. Those were rare moments of clarity. Ha!"

...Well, I thought it was funny.
    Freaking internet eating my reply...

The dog problem is a cute problem. It starts with the retired parent who is always home leaving for groceries. This results in one dog sitting outside my office sobbing. So after I go console the dog, both dogs want to go out and play. After that's settled, the cat needs to reaffirm that we are still Best Friends. After a while, the cat wants to go outside. A few minutes later, the dog, struck again with the malaise of the Absent Human, comes running for a cuddle...

======

As far as dealing with dread, I cannot speak to your experience directly, nor the people you are talking about. So I cannot say if you are correct in your assessment of what your relationship was like. However, I still point to the fact that you care as a strong indicator of the fact that you are not "only good for what you do for people". You care and you want to support people. That makes you good people.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    That was funny, and don't beat yourself up. You're good people, Fury.
    I totally agree with this. I am stealing this joke.

I feel like that there should be a D&D or Pathfinder movie called"Alignment" it just like in the NBC TV show Heroes. It's about nine people with nine different alignments trying to make a choice for the sake of Good, Evil, Law, Chaos and Neutral. So what do you think of my idea? I think it should be a good movie.

Humour. Ok, this could work.
    So bad its hilarious! or as a web comic works too.
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Any piece of media peoduced with a monetary incentive (like pretty much every piece of D&D meida) needs to have an audience to be successful, and most commercially successful works are specifically designed to appeal to a particular audience. This is less required for a piece of media made for entirely expressive purposes, but it's probably to have a good idea as to who might be reception to your expression.

To take a fairly easy example, look at Harry Potter. The first book is aimed at children aged about ten and the books are slowly aimed at a older and older audience until the final book is clearly aimed at people around 18. My own personal opinions on the quality aside, each book does very well at engaging the audience that it's aimed at and makes the morality and issues more complex until the books reach the final one.

The project I'm currently working on actually does have a target audience, although it's relatively narrow (being a semi-idealistic Medieval European Fantasy following a character from about 16 to about 26), but that's partially because I writing the kind of novel I want to see more of. Although I'm also having trouble with plotting it, as while I'd love to jump from the MC at about 16 to them at about 20 pretty significant offscreen events (notably the fall of the established governmental system) have to be set up and the set up for the setup requires different events to happen that push them into a point where I can't work out an actual plot to go around them. I might need to scrap draft 1 entirely and restructure it.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    The dog problem is a cute problem. It starts with the retired parent who is always home leaving for groceries. This results in one dog sitting outside my office sobbing. So after I go console the dog, both dogs want to go out and play. After that's settled, the cat needs to reaffirm that we are still Best Friends. After a while, the cat wants to go outside. A few minutes later, the dog, struck again with the malaise of the Absent Human, comes running for a cuddle...
    That's sweet. My parent's dog never does that when they come to visit. If my parents leave, he'll sit by the door and cry inconsolably for several minutes and eventually find a corner and pout.

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    As far as dealing with dread, I cannot speak to your experience directly, nor the people you are talking about. So I cannot say if you are correct in your assessment of what your relationship was like. However, I still point to the fact that you care as a strong indicator of the fact that you are not "only good for what you do for people". You care and you want to support people. That makes you good people.
    I appreciate you saying that. I don't feel like I'm good people, I'll refrain from getting into the reasons why I think I'm not. All the same, you seeing a better nature in me is very kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Insane Jeenyus View Post
    I totally agree with this. I am stealing this joke.
    Well, I'm glad that it turned out to be a hit. Oh in case you haven't heard this one...

Spoiler: Why can't bicycles stand on their own?
    Show
    Because they're two-tired

8. - Top - End - #128
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Show
    Spoiler
    Show

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

9. - Top - End - #129

Quote Originally Posted by Insane Jeenyus View Post
    So bad its hilarious!
    That's what I heard about Big Bang Theory, but no, it was just bad.
    Show
    That reminds me, I came up with a unified field theory a while ago, it basically solves all of physics.
    Spoiler: Nobel prize, here I come!
    Show
    Just make all the forces spin, that'll stabilize 'em.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Barbarian in the Playground

Thank you Fury, I'm stealing that one too!
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

It wouldn't have to be, but concepts are cheap. Whether or not it's good depends almost entirely on the execution. However, Peelee is probably correct that the market for it is very limited, because people who know and care about the D&D alignment system are few in number.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

Work continues to get crazier and crazier.

We brought in some temps from an agency, spent 2-3 days training them how to use the till, and now a chunk of them suddenly had to self isolate, so we're back where we started.

One was a regular customer, and was somehow calling me by my deadname for her first morning (which I legally changed and stopped using 3 years ago O.o).
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post
    Work continues to get crazier and crazier.

We brought in some temps from an agency, spent 2-3 days training them how to use the till, and now a chunk of them suddenly had to self isolate, so we're back where we started.
    Heh, my work refuses to get agency workers in at the moment for that reason (although thankfully the threatened 'and you will have to do more work if schools close' seems to have been mitigated).

One was a regular customer, and was somehow calling me by my deadname for her first morning (which I legally changed and stopped using 3 years ago O.o).
    ****, that kind of thing is not okay. I don't even want to know what the dead names of my friends are, and the only time I've used somebody's dead name it was explicitly an insult (and was less than a year since they came out, it seems to take me about eight to forteen months to fully adjust to name changes).

One of my friends has a problem where, because she's physically transitioned but not legally done so (marriage was involved) a year after she moved here she contacted the government to deal with something, only to find out that this was the one case of it not being under her dead name.

We had to spend about two weeks making sure she was still calm and asking her to follow it up, and then another two days explaining 'no, there isn't really a concept of an official name here'.

I've just had a therapy session, which ended with 'I can help you with problem B, but problem A therapy doesn't really work over the phone, so if I can get these sessions postponed until we meet face to face would you like to do that? Do you want time to think about it?' I feel like I might have been the first person to take that in, immediately draw conclusions, and give my answer ('yes, I'd rather have more useful therapy later than less useful therapy now') while being told.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

14. - Top - End - #134

Today I learned about the phrase "dead name."

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    One of my friends has a problem where, because she's physically transitioned but not legally done so (marriage was involved) a year after she moved here she contacted the government to deal with something, only to find out that this was the one case of it not being under her dead name.

We had to spend about two weeks making sure she was still calm and asking her to follow it up, and then another two days explaining 'no, there isn't really a concept of an official name here'.
    I'm not sure I follow.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    I'm not sure I follow.
    1. Person lives in transphobic country.
    2. Person discovers they are tans.
    3. Person adopts a new name and physically transitions, but annot legally transition due to transphobic (and homophobic) laws.
    4. Person moves to country with much less insitutionalised transphobia and strict definition of a legal name.
    5. Government department uses 'also known as' name as the name of the account.
    6. Person assumes that because it's the government they used their legal name.
    7. ???
    8. Profit!

Show

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    1. Person lives in transphobic country.
    2. Person discovers they are tans.
    3. Person adopts a new name and physically transitions, but annot legally transition due to transphobic (and homophobic) laws.
    4. Person moves to country with much less insitutionalised transphobia and strict definition of a legal name.
    5. Government department uses 'also known as' name as the name of the account.
    6. Person assumes that because it's the government they used their legal name.
    7. ???
    8. Profit!
    And #6 is a reason to not be calm (I understood as "panic") because?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Because this was a very important account that they needed access to in order to sort out tazx stuff.

Show

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

I assume because they imagined that there wasn't an account for them (as opposed to it being recorded under a different name than assumed), so they were panicking because that's what anyone would do if they went to anything - especially the government - and it turned out there was no record of the thing for you that you went to them for.
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2020-03-23 at 11:05 AM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

I think it'd work as a sitcom if you dialed up the humor. Possibly as a webcomic.
    9 people living together just trying to get by with their daily lives. But each has a wildly different daily life. CE could be a thief or serial killer and LG is a cop on the case to catch them. LE knows the one LG is hunting is CE, but actively throws him off the trail. TN has no job and mooches off the others in the apartment.

it could probably get 1 really good season, then probably wane after that.

And to help keep track, their initials could be their alignment, so the Lawful Evil could be Lesley Edwards or something along those lines.
    Last edited by Razelquin; 2020-03-23 at 11:29 AM.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Razelquin View Post
    9 people living together just trying to get by with their daily lives. But each has a wildly different daily life. CE could be a thief or serial killer and LG is a cop on the case to catch them. LE knows the one LG is hunting is CE, but actively throws him off the trail. TN has no job and mooches off the others in the apartment.

it could probably get 1 really good season, then probably wane after that.

And to help keep track, their initials could be their alignment, so the Lawful Evil could be Lesley Edwards or something along those lines.
    Cool. Finally one of my ideas is very good for a change.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

The only way I can see this getting made is by a low budget geek oriented niche YouTube channel, like the ones that make the videos about NPCs in an MMO.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

23. - Top - End - #143

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    The only way I can see this getting made is by a low budget geek oriented niche YouTube channel, like the ones that make the videos about NPCs in an MMO.
    Sadly, I can't link to my favorite youtube comedy troupe, but they could probably knock it out of the park without even having the geek-oriented factor.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

We just need someone with a really high Charisma to pitch it to Netflix. They already don't like their shows to last more that 2 seasons, so we got that going for us.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

I can see it actually, an incredibly cheesy introductory episode showing our main characters (I'd go for 5 and omit either the 4 Neutral Xs or just go the five neutrals) growing up, followed up one episode per character showing them tyeing to promote their methedolody in the world, followed by a finale where the characters all en up in the same place and have to directly pit their skills and philosophies against each other.

Where nobody dies, because we don't have the budget for that. We couldn't even afford pointed ears for the elf.

(Alternatively I can see something like Elven Quest, using the radio format to avoid needed a budget for sets and costuming, and really play up the paradoric elements. Part of being a Paladin is having a cherub to play your lietmotiv.)

Quote Originally Posted by Razelquin View Post
    We just need someone with a really high Charisma to pitch it to Netflix. They already don't like their shows to last more that 2 seasons, so we got that going for us.
    I mean, lasting longer than two series is what's known as a 'zombie' here in the UK. It means that somebody made at least seven episodes!

Show

26. - Top - End - #146
    Colossus in the Playground

On this wonderful day, in which Plague Times Week 2 begins, have some good grilled cheese sandwiches courtesy of yours truly.

27. - Top - End - #147

On this wonderful day, in which Plague Times Week 2 begins, have some good grilled cheese sandwiches courtesy of yours truly.
    Your bread looks like a rotary phone.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Colossus in the Playground

Indeed it does. Real tasty too.

29. - Top - End - #149

Indeed it does. Real tasty too.
    Oh, it definitely looks dang tasty. Do you do the mayo on the outside before grilling? I just heard of that some months back, and it completely changed my grilled cheese experience.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

This right here, is some prime quality culinary critique.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.