New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default I'm Thinking Of Making My Own Version Of Cayden Cailean With Stats

Hey everybody. I thought of making the Pathfinder deity Cayden Cailean with my own version and transfer it in D&D 3.5. Knowing his divine stats I'm guessing that Cayden Cailean is a Greater Deity or maybe Intermediate Deity. And the original Pathfinder story is here. So there's going to be a work in progress with this. What're your thoughts on this one?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: I'm Thinking Of Making My Own Version Of Cayden Cailean With Stats

Olidamarra, from Greyhawk.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tiktakkat View Post
    Olidamarra, from Greyhawk.
    Yes but he's not Olidammara. Hayden Cailean is Chaotic Good and Olidammara is Chaotic Neutral.

4. - Top - End - #4

SamuraiGirl

Sure, do it. Cayden Cailean is an awesome deity. You can also draw on Olidammara for inspiration, as the first commenter suggested. You can also draw on legends of Sun Wukong, the monkey king from Chinese legend, for other ideas about a chaotic, fun-loving immortal. Sun Wukong is even a deity in Pathfinder's Tian Xia setting, if you want examples for how he'd work as a deity.

I think it would help us if you clarified what kind of advice you're looking for. Do you want mechanics? If so, telling us why your players are trying to battle a good-aligned deity would help us stat him out. Do you want lore? Which 3.5 setting are you inserting Cayden into then: Eberron, Greyhawk, Faerun, your own homebrew world? How do you want us to help you?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The only reason to give him stats beyond domains and a bit of lore is if you want players to kill him.

Because they *will* find a way to do so.
    Rudisplorker of the faith, true Rudisplorker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Because Pun-pun was on the road to ultimate power first, and he hates your guts.
    Extended Sig

I'm a template!

And an artifact!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ason View Post
    Sure, do it. Cayden Cailean is an awesome deity. You can also draw on Olidammara for inspiration, as the first commenter suggested. You can also draw on legends of Sun Wukong, the monkey king from Chinese legend, for other ideas about a chaotic, fun-loving immortal. Sun Wukong is even a deity in Pathfinder's Tian Xia setting if you want examples for how he'd work as a deity.

I think it would help us if you clarified what kind of advice you're looking for. Do you want mechanics? If so, telling us why your players are trying to battle a good-aligned deity would help us stat him out. Do you want to the lore? Which 3.5 settings are you inserting Cayden into then: Eberron, Greyhawk, Faerun, your own homebrew world? How do you want us to help you?
    Well, I guess I could always start on Greyhawk though. Well, Cayden was actually a worshipper of Olidammara. He was inspired to drink beer and make practical jokes to everybody throughout the entire world which Olidammara was very pleased of Cayden pranks so Olidammara gives Cayden a divine rank which he ascended to godhood. It's a good lore.

7. - Top - End - #7

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Yes but he's not Olidammara. Hayden Cailean is Chaotic Good and Olidammara is Chaotic Neutral.
    Yes he is.
    The serial numbers are filed off, and the alignment given a nudge (Olidamarra is Chaotic Neutral, but maintains his domain on Ysgard, the plane of Good-tinged Chaotic Neutralness), but the basic description is pretty much the same.
    As for the whole ascension bit, why lookithat! Rudd, who has a more overt Chaotic Good element. Also Kuroth later on.
    About the only things Olidammara has that Cayden Cailean does not have are an armadillo shell and a bard banjo. (A magic kanteel, not Elan's hand puppet deity.)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tiktakkat View Post
    Yes he is.
    The serial numbers are filed off, and the alignment given a nudge (Olidamarra is Chaotic Neutral, but maintains his domain on Ysgard, the plane of Good-tinged Chaotic Neutralness), but the basic description is pretty much the same.
    As for the whole ascension bit, why lookithat! Rudd, who has a more overt Chaotic Good element. Also Kuroth later on.
    About the only things Olidammara has that Cayden Cailean does not have are an armadillo shell and a bard banjo. (A magic kanteel, not Elan's hand puppet deity.)
    Yes. I make a mistake of spelling Cayden first name.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

What're your thoughts on this one?
    I have one thought, and it's a big one.

Why?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I have one thought, and it's a big one.

Why?
    It's just for fun that's why.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Well, I guess I could always start on Greyhawk though. Well, Cayden was actually a worshipper of Olidammara. He was inspired to drink beer and make practical jokes to everybody throughout the entire world which Olidammara was very pleased of Cayden pranks so Olidammara gives Cayden a divine rank which he ascended to godhood. It's a good lore.
    Wasn't that more or less the lore of one of the vestiges from Tome of Magic?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Biguds View Post
    Wasn't that more or less the lore of one of the vestiges from Tome of Magic?
    I'm not familiar with Tome of Magic.