Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default [FILLED?] Your Prince has been Exiled (indie game)

Cal Arath, prince of the Northlands, has been exiled by the usurpers who murdered his father and stole his throne. You, the loyal remnants of his courtiers, know only that he is rumored to have crossed the Tregoth River southward near the ruins of Jakor's Folly. Your goal is to find him and aid him in gathering an army to reclaim his throne.

I like the procedurally-generated events tables of Barbarian Prince and would like to try running it, using my own adaptations to Ray Otus' light-running indie game There and Back Again.

Rules. Linked above.

Style. This will be kind of a turn-based game with daily events in response to the party's movements. Each turn you'll vote on where to go or what to do and then we'll play through the resulting event. At the outset, foraging for food will be a consideration as you try to survive your flight from the Northlands on the trail of your prince. Later on, charming and persuading people will become important as you try to find the prince and gather forces to support him. Combat will occur fairly frequently.

Players. Looking for good writers who like both combat and roleplay and don't care too much about character optimization as much as motivations and goals. Would like to have 2-4 who can post about daily.

Location and die rolls. Playing on these forums. Using this dice roller, though. Make an account ... login ... make a new character under campaign ID 815. Set a macro for that character (e.g., [1d6] [1d6] [1d6]). Use that macro to make your rolls, then copy and paste over to here while you're writing up events.

The players make all the rolls. If you look at the rules you'll see that even in combat there's no need for the GM to roll anything. Generally, I will present a situation and then you can narrate your characters' choices and the results. I'll tweak the results as the whim strikes me, but generally, we share control of the narrative.
    Last edited by Tibbius; 2020-03-24 at 11:00 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Your Prince has been Exiled (indie game)

Sounds amazing! Sign me up! I am sometimes a powergamer, but I also find it fun to focus on the story of my character instead of the mechanical optimization. Unfamiliar with this system, but it seems pretty straightforward.

Will this be forum-based, discord, or something else?

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Isocahedron View Post
    Will this be forum-based, discord, or something else?
    Playing on these forums. (edited first post to reflect this). Thanks for your interest! Any thoughts about what type of retainer you'd like to play? It's wide open.

Using this dice roller, though. Make an account ... login ... make a new character under campaign ID 815. Set a macro for that character (e.g., [1d6] [1d6] [1d6]). Use that macro to make your rolls, then copy and paste over to here while you're writing up events.

Along that line, my expectation is that the players make all the rolls. If you look at the rules you'll see that even in combat there's no need for the GM to roll anything. Generally, I will present a situation and then you can narrate your characters' choices and the results. I'll tweak the results as the whim strikes me, but generally, we share control of the narrative.
    Last edited by Tibbius; 2020-03-19 at 03:42 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

interested! seems coolio

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Slightly unfamiliar but I feel like I can probably wing it, having read the rules.

I have two rough concepts at the moment which are pretty much the same mechanically but vary very much in fluff.

I've got this so far.

Cara, Mysterious Lady
    Toughness 3 / Fate 7
    Rhyming: Telling Stories
    Carousing: Charming; Cooking & Eating

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    Slightly unfamiliar but I feel like I can probably wing it, having read the rules.

I have two rough concepts at the moment which are pretty much the same mechanically but vary very much in fluff.

I've got this so far.

Cara, Mysterious Lady
    Toughness 3 / Fate 7
    Rhyming: Telling Stories
    Carousing: Charming; Cooking & Eating
    So your character would be the party's "healer" between Havens and the "face" during encounters? The rules require you to roleplay the story telling, so you'd need a fair bit of imagination or a good source for lore as well as the ability to write engaging synopses.

7. - Top - End - #7

8. - Top - End - #8

Tibbius, you know I enjoy your games. I will read the rules in the next few days. Looking at horse trainer.

9. - Top - End - #9

This is great! We have four interested players, definitely enough to handle (almost all) the challenges of the setting.

Please pick your characters' traits and skills, Toughness and Fate, come up with a solid paragraph of story about what they've done and why they are loyal to Cal Arath, and then post in this thread. I'll copy over to a game thread when it's time.

10. - Top - End - #10

Zand the Forester,
    Toughness 6
    Fate 4
    Fighting - hand to hand combat
    Foraging - tracking, shooting.
    Equipment : leather armor, long bow, twenty arrows, hunting knife. Three haunches of deer meat in a bag. Water skin with three days water. Water skin of whiskey three swigs.Three coins of the lowest denomination.

Zand is a loyal servant whose job is to keep the lord's law in his forests. He is able to track all kinds of animals and is well versed in bow and knife.
    Last edited by gryffydd65; 2020-03-26 at 07:46 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by gryffydd65 View Post
    Zand the Forester,
    Toughness 6
    Fate 4
    Fighting - hand to hand combat
    Foraging - tracking, shooting.

Zand is a loyal servant whose job is to keep the lord's law in his forests. He is able to track all kinds of animals and is well versed in bow and sword.
    Great character!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Posting tentative interest. Iíll be thinking up a character.

13. - Top - End - #13

Default Re: [FILLED?] Your Prince has been Exiled (indie game)

In order to see who's committed to posting more-or-less daily, could we please get all your characters posted here by Sunday evening?

To whet your appetite, here's the open that I'll copy over to game thread on Monday:
    You stand below the ruins of Jakor's Folly, the ancient keep named for the northern king who thought it would bring good revenue by enforcing a tax on the tricky river ford a mile away across the hills. Caravans instead avoided the ford, diverting to the bridges at Ogon and Weshor. For centuries the keep has been falling into disrepair.

You could search the keep for clues or useful items. You could hunt for food. Or you could try to find the ford and cross the river. What do you do?

14. - Top - End - #14

Ok sounds great so far. What is reasonable equipment?
    Still trying to figure out the dice roller site, I joined, now I have to find out where on the site to find your game.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by gryffydd65 View Post
    Ok sounds great so far. What is reasonable equipment?
    Still trying to figure out the dice roller site, I joined, now I have to find out where on the site to find your game.
    Make a character (ignore the character sheet functionality, it only works for D&D) and assign campaign ID #815. Then your rolls will be logged under this game.

Reasonable equipment: clothing + items = Toughness. A weapon, a shield, a week's rations, three day's worth of water, a pouch of coins, things similar in size/weight all would be "items." Here's an exemplary character:

Your Prince, Cal Arath
    Toughness 9, Fate 3, Wealth 1, Food 0, Water 3.
    Fighting: melee, brawling. Foraging: wilderness survival.
    Items 4: Bonebiter, fire kit, gem-crusted dagger, waterskin.
    Clothing: kilt, cloak, crossbelt, sandals.
    Goal: gather an army to retake the throne of the Northland.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cara Dell, Mysterious Lady
    Toughness 3 / Fate 7
    Rhyming: Telling Stories. Carousing: Charming, Cooking & Eating
    Clothing: Fur cloak, Boots, Leather Garments.
    Goal: To seek atonement for her crimes through service to her prince.

Cara Dell had always been a reclusive courtier, hiding behind her cloak and status. She came to Call Arath claiming to have been attacked along the way, wearing only her finery and bearing nothing else on her person. Her charm, stories and cooking skill secured her place at the table, though she would rarely show off her gifts.

17. - Top - End - #17