Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Invasion of Mu (Heavily house-ruled PF 1e/DnD 3.5 gestalt, mythic game)

Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    Cool. My main idea is a Synthesist/Ninja. Skirt-length bio: Char dug up an artifact which had bound a draconal agathion and a shira div "for all eternity," except the div eventually gave up and let itself die, content with the knowledge that the draconal would be imprisoned forever. The Synthesist side is the bond to the draconal; the Ninja side is the lingering influence of the div. The struggle to control that darkness without succumbing will matter for both the character and his bonded eidolon.

My other idea was a mage-knight type. Eventual goal of Cleric/Knight of the Raven (obscure but cool PrC)/Ruby Knight Vindicator on one side, Bard/Sublime Chord/Jade Phoenix Mage on the other side. That build takes a long time to really come together though, more like level 12+, so maybe not the best fit for a game starting where this one does.

For the Synth/Ninja, haven't decided if I'll go natural or manufactured weapons...leaning natural but not sure. I'll have to look at the Mythic Summoner and Ninja stuff, haven't seen *anything* of it yet. BTW, there's a third-party Unchained version of the Ninja, can I use that? It mostly just ports over the Unchained Rogue fixes (and is thus a pretty significant improvement).

Half-dragon template was my main concern. I read more carefully and noticed the "up to +6 CR of templates" that I somehow missed before, which sounds like that covers what I wanted anyway. I always forget that PF technically did away with Level Adjustment and made it just a "CR" increase (even if the two are...effectively the same thing).

Here's the description and deity mechanics info for Arkhos, the Shining Wyrm. It should cover all of the relevant Pathfinder rules (Devotion, Divine Gift, all the various divine PrCs, etc.) He is in some ways a Bahamut expy, so he fits in basically any pseudo-medieval setting where Paladins would make sense. The domain list has gotten kind of long because this is an LoC deity, and thus gaining new domains is a major part of play--I'd be perfectly happy restricting Arkhos to his original domains (Good, Law(Archon), Luck, Travel, and Glory(Heroism)) if you think the current list is too expansive.

Full disclosure: Assuming Arkhos is approved, there's a good chance I'll want the Evangelist PrC, as I designed its boons specifically for that class. Possibly-useful thematic note: "arkhos" is related to/derived from the Greek word for "head" or "leader," from which we get terms like "architect" and "monarch," so he could very easily be fluffed as an alt-universe Greek god, or perhaps something like an Atlantean god or whatever (perhaps one native to Mu?) whose name lived on in Greek as the word for leadership. Given the aforementioned half-dragon template, there's a strong chance I'd be looking at playing a draconic dinosaur man, or half-dragon refluffed as such, depending on exactly how that would cash out.
    The fluff seems fine; what exactly is the mechanical question (if there is one)?

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Invasion of Mu (Heavily house-ruled PF 1e/DnD 3.5 gestalt, mythic game)

Does every player have to choose a different civilization?

For example, I'm highly interested in the Northmen, but I have an idea for having several tribes that each have their own spirit animal or creature. I'm putting together a champion from the bear tribe.

3. - Top - End - #93

I'm still working on the build stuff -- I have other stuff to do this week like take a test for an online class.

Also, I've decided we're going to play on Discord because some of the real-life material I want to use isn't allowed per forum rules.
    Last edited by Marcarius5555; 2020-03-25 at 09:35 AM.

4. - Top - End - #94

Quote Originally Posted by Deadguy View Post
    Does every player have to choose a different civilization?

For example, I'm highly interested in the Northmen, but I have an idea for having several tribes that each have their own spirit animal or creature. I'm putting together a champion from the bear tribe.
    No, it would actually make things easier if you didn't all do that, and could pick a couple that might be allies. But I don't want to rope off ideas. I do want everyone to come up with an elaborate backstory to tie everything together if we end up with characters from 10 different places. I'd want everyone to collaborate to make a story about how all these characters met and adventures they've already had.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Halfling in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Are you married to the idea of the Chinese contribution to this melting pot being the Ming? If you don't want to change that, are you open to the idea of there being communities from the China of more than one era- or more properly, a community from the remnants of some of the pre-Chinese minor states absorbed by the Qin during their unification of China that ended the Warring States period, a millenia prior to the Ming?

Believing war immoral, the Mohists put their money where their mouth was like few philosophical movements before or since, becoming China's preeminent experts in defensive siege warfare and sending disciples far and wide to lend their expertise and discourage the large, aggressive actors of the Warring States from swallowing up their weaker neighbors by making their conquest as difficult and costly as possible.

They were utilitarian, meritocratic, diplomatic, anti-fatalistic, and deeply concerned with mathematics and the physical sciences- fascinatingly modern in outlook in a lot of ways, and it would have been interesting indeed if their influence had remained strong in China. But it did not: as the Warring States period came to a close and their principal patrons were defeated, the Mohists faded into the pages of history, and the more authoritarian Confucists and Legalists, esoteric Taoists, and inward-looking Buddhists were the ones to make their mark.

A Mohist cult/commune could serve as an interesting counterpoint to many of the more aggressive intruders to Mu, and their tendency to send envoys and military consultants to those who are attacked could serve as a cultural bridge between factions that could provide an interesting framing device for bringing together disparate characters.

As for the PC themselves...given our template craziness, I think I might take a page from Touhou Shinreibyou/Ten Desires and make them the sect's founder Mo Di himself, having preserved himself through the ages through the most hilariously Chinese means of folkloric immortality, becoming a Shikaisen. The basic idea is agelessness through paperwork error: there's a Celestial Bureaucracy that manages the lifespan of everything, and by ritually taking on a new name, giving your old name to a handy object, filling out its 'death certificate' and giving it the full funeral rites proper to your own death, it takes on your own mortality and you take on its object-like agelessness. He spent the next century or so fighting against the Qin's conquest and centralization of China, then at last gave it up as a hopeless prospect and spent the remainder of his time in the mortal world researching strange and esoteric sorceries that would let him take his remaining followers- scholars and refugees from conquered minor states of China- to a strange new land of promise and wonder...

...only to arrive on the shores of Mu and find it a pit of expansionist vipers worse than anything in the Warring States period, at which point he vowed not to fail his cause again.

I may or may not just base their appearance on Ten Desires' shikaisen Mononobe no Futo- it's not a bad look:

Think that could work for you?
    Last edited by ooogooman; 2020-03-25 at 11:46 PM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ooogooman View Post
    Are you married to the idea of the Chinese contribution to this melting pot being the Ming? If you don't want to change that, are you open to the idea of there being communities from the China of more than one era- or more properly, a community from the remnants of some of the pre-Chinese minor states absorbed by the Qin during their unification of China that ended the Warring States period, a millenia prior to the Ming?

Believing war immoral, the Mohists put their money where their mouth was like few philosophical movements before or since, becoming China's preeminent experts in defensive siege warfare and sending disciples far and wide to lend their expertise and discourage the large, aggressive actors of the Warring States from swallowing up their weaker neighbors by making their conquest as difficult and costly as possible.

They were utilitarian, meritocratic, diplomatic, anti-fatalistic, and deeply concerned with mathematics and the physical sciences- fascinatingly modern in outlook in a lot of ways, and it would have been interesting indeed if their influence had remained strong in China. But it did not: as the Warring States period came to a close and their principal patrons were defeated, the Mohists faded into the pages of history, and the more authoritarian Confucists and Legalists, esoteric Taoists, and inward-looking Buddhists were the ones to make their mark.

A Mohist cult/commune could serve as an interesting counterpoint to many of the more aggressive intruders to Mu, and their tendency to send envoys and military consultants to those who are attacked could serve as a cultural bridge between factions that could provide an interesting framing device for bringing together disparate characters.

As for the PC themselves...given our template craziness, I think I might take a page from Touhou Shinreibyou/Ten Desires and make them the sect's founder Mo Di himself, having preserved himself through the ages through the most hilariously Chinese means of folkloric immortality, becoming a Shikaisen. The basic idea is agelessness through paperwork error: there's a Celestial Bureaucracy that manages the lifespan of everything, and by ritually taking on a new name, giving your old name to a handy object, filling out its 'death certificate' and giving it the full funeral rites proper to your own death, it takes on your own mortality and you take on its object-like agelessness. He spent the next century or so fighting against the Qin's conquest and centralization of China, then at last gave it up as a hopeless prospect and spent the remainder of his time in the mortal world researching strange and esoteric sorceries that would let him take his remaining followers- scholars and refugees from conquered minor states of China- to a strange new land of promise and wonder...

...only to arrive on the shores of Mu and find it a pit of expansionist vipers worse than anything in the Warring States period, at which point he vowed not to fail his cause again.

I may or may not just base their appearance on Ten Desires' shikaisen Mononobe no Futo- it's not a bad look:

They also invented the pinhole camera sorta!

7. - Top - End - #97

I'm not at all, I'm really just throwing out ideas. I'd love it if everyone came up with their own ideas like this and what Genth is doing. It would save me a lot of time to focus more on the villain factions.

8. - Top - End - #98

Quote Originally Posted by Marcarius5555 View Post
    The fluff seems fine; what exactly is the mechanical question (if there is one)?
    Arkhos has his own Deific Obedience and divine PrC mechanics. I'm wanting to pick up Evangelist levels.

Spoiler: Deific Obedience
    Show
    Deific Obedience
    Walk for an hour, observing your surroundings, watching for anyone you might meet. If you find anyone struggling or suffering, immediately stop and help them for the remainder of the hour, without expecting anything in return. If you do not find anyone, spend the final quarter of the hour meditating and reflecting on the help others have given you, and how you can learn from their example. You gain a +2 sacred bonus to all Aid Another checks, and can make Aid Another checks as a move action.

Spoiler: Evangelist of Arkhos
    Show
    EVANGELIST
    1: Hero's Poise (Sp)
    shield of faith 3/day, or blessing of courage and life 2/day, or prayer 1/day
    2: Call of Champions (Sp) If you have the summon monster class feature, twice per day you may use that feature, even if you have an eidolon summoned, but only to summon a creature listed for the Summon Good Monster feat. This use of summon monster otherwise functions as normal, including any costs or limitations that might apply. If you do not have the summon monster class feature, you may instead cast summon monster VI as a standard action twice per day as a spell-like ability with a caster level equal to your Hit Dice, choosing from the list for the Summon Good Monster feat. Unless you actually possess this feat, creatures summoned with this feature do not gain Diehard. Regardless of whether you have the summon monster class feature or not, you may only have one creature summoned with this feature at a time; summoning a second creature immediately dismisses the first.
    3: Luck of Kings (Su) As an immediate action, you can gain a luck bonus on a single d20 roll equal to half your total Hit Dice (minimum 1). You can use this ability after you have rolled, but must declare the use of this ability before you know the result of the check. If this roll is made as part of a Diplomacy check or necessary to fulfill a solemn oath, the luck bonus is instead equal to your total Hit Dice. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to your Charisma bonus (minimum 1).

Unrelatedly, I've decided to not take the half-dragon template, but some others instead, submitted for approval:
    Sublime Creature
    Soulfire Creature
    Suzerain Creature
    Holy Creature
    Total CR change: 2+2+1+1 = 6

I would also like to request my (homebrew) Dragonborn for my base creature race. Post is here. Given this is a new setting, the cultural details would not apply. My thought here is that Dragonborn of Mu are the blessed saurian-origin children of Arkhos, sorta-kinda like "saurian aasimar." (Aasaurimar?) If this doesn't meet your approval, that's fine, I'll just play a half-elf which is a perfectly cromulent fallback.

I'm not at all, I'm really just throwing out ideas. I'd love it if everyone came up with their own ideas like this and what Genth is doing. It would save me a lot of time to focus more on the villain factions.
    I'm quite happy to do some similar background-building for this particular tribe of dinosaur-men. Somehow I had got it in my head that you only wanted a skirt-length bio, but I cannot find that now--must have conflated it with another recent game pitch. I'll have a much more detailed proposal in the next few days.
    Last edited by ezekielraiden; 2020-03-26 at 05:08 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Stevesciguy View Post
    Also, what's the Hybrid feat we get for free? I can't seem to find it
    I believe I found it in Yet More Horrifically Powerful Feats:
    Spoiler: Hybrid
    Show
    HYBRID
    [Horrifically Overpowered]
    Your character is a super special and unique perfect blending of two races that normally can’t breed.

Benefit: Select a second race. You gain all of the racial traits of that race in addition to your primary race. You count as a member of both races for the purposes of any prerequisites. Special: This horrifically overpowered feat usually has to be taken at 1st level. Although maybe you were in some sort of weirdreincarnate accident or something.

I am currently working on Chongqun Jue, the daughter of a Ming governor whose household and part of the surrounding village were unmoored in time by parties yet to be determined, coming to rest in Mu in the middle of a huge nature preserve in the saurian-controlled lands. Her story has largely been about relishing being in power for once while carving out a place for herself and her subjects among the saurians.

Before I significantly overcommit on building the character, I just want to confirm:
    • that Dreamscarred Press and Drop Dead Studios (Spheres of Power/Might) materials are allowed sources, as my current idea primarily uses those (mostly DSP).
    • Also to confirm that the other Horrifically Overpowered Feats books are allowed sources, not just those listed in the linked FATAL & Friends review.

10. - Top - End - #100

Posting interest.

I think I would set up a Roman/Greek setup.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

interested pending pm answer

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

I missed this earlier, I still have my old west gunslinger half finished

edit:

Jane Law, as far as I got her before site collapse in Jan.
    Last edited by redfeline; 2020-03-26 at 03:38 PM.
    Custom avatar by Emperor Ing

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

How does Hybrid work with traits that are opposing? Like if I were a Human and a Halfling, what would my move speed be? My size?

14. - Top - End - #104

Quote Originally Posted by JBarca View Post
    How does Hybrid work with traits that are opposing? Like if I were a Human and a Halfling, what would my move speed be? My size?
    Every round you shift between Small and Medium
    Avatar kindly provided by TinyMushroom!

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JBarca View Post
    I think you become small size but it replaces your classes with Medium and Rogue

So you'd be a Small Medium At Large

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Oh perfect. That should be easy to track.

Quote Originally Posted by Genth View Post
    I think you become small size but it replaces your classes with Medium and Rogue

So you'd be a Small Medium At Large
    Last edited by JBarca; 2020-03-26 at 04:35 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

@Marcarius5555
    okay after reading all pages of things from you and things others have mentioned. I need this clarified.
    is Chopping Down the Christmas Tree being allowed/used?

Edit
    Request:
    AEG Mercenaries Pg 91 + 92

"Laminated Steel Weapon: A laminated steel weapon gains +1 to all its damage rolls and its critical hit multiplier goes up by one as well. Furthermore, the weapon gains +5 to its normal hardness."

"Serrated Weapon: A serrated weapon has its critical hit threat range increased by +1"
    Last edited by samduke; 2020-03-27 at 11:10 AM.

18. - Top - End - #108

WolfInSheepsClothing

In the case of a character with a template that has Con --, like a construct or undead, would they be free to dump the 18 points' worth of that stat into their other ability scores, or would they lose those points?

Does it seem reasonable to treat bonus HP granted by the construct type as Wounds rather than Vigor?

Charisma and Hero Points: Hero Points are the primary advantage of a high Charisma score, and the primary disadvantage of a low Charisma score. They are a creature’s ability to “get lucky” on things it does.
    The default Pathfinder Hero Point system does not appear to rely on Charisma. What's the relation between Charisma and Hero Points in your house rules?

Lastly, ditto the question about what our starting wealth is.
    Last edited by ooogooman; 2020-03-27 at 11:53 AM.

19. - Top - End - #109

In the case of a character with a template that has Con --, like a construct or undead, would they be free to dump the 18 points' worth of that stat into their other ability scores, or would they lose those points?
    Yeah, those points get sucked into the void

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

WWooo, that is one complicated amount of mechanical Insanity.

I like it (but dont have the time to participate, so I will watch this unfold ^^).
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

21. - Top - End - #111

HalflingPirate

Yeah, those points get sucked into the void
    I believe you can leave it at 1 and distribute the other 17 to other stats, then apply racial and template stat modifiers:

Ability scores: Each character receives a number of points to spend on increasing his basic attributes. In this method, all attributes start at a base of 18. A character can increase an individual score by spending some of his points. Likewise, he can gain more points to spend on other scores by decreasing one or more of his ability scores. See Table 1–1 for the costs of each score. After all the points are spent, apply any racial modifiers the character might have.
    Emphasis by me.
    Last edited by Drako_Beoulve; 2020-03-27 at 06:03 PM.
    3.99 Project, Trying to Improve the 3.5 version, current fixes:

- Soulknife Fix
    - Samurai Rework
    - Paladin Fix

22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

In discord it was stated acquired templates allow you to set the stat to 1 for +17 points. However if they're inherited/you're base creature lacks the score, then you loose the points.
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    I'm not feeling conquery.
    Status Update:
    Girlfriend didn't pay internet, very slow for next little bit.

23. - Top - End - #113

Quote Originally Posted by Drako_Beoulve View Post
    I believe you can leave it at 1 and distribute the other 17 to other stats, then apply racial and template stat modifiers:

Emphasis by me.
    I'm struggling to find it right now - it might be on the Discord - but it was an answered question. It eats 18 points, because otherwise construct/undead characters would effectively have more points to spend than other characters.

Edit: 5colour beat me to it
    Last edited by Stevesciguy; 2020-03-27 at 07:30 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

can anyone tell me if the mythic portion is also gestalt?

i am looking at
    CR 3
    1 class//class
    2 class//class
    3 class//class
    4 class//class
    5 class//class
    6 class//class
    7 class//class
    1 mythic//
    2 mythic//
    3 mythic//
    4 mythic//

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    can anyone tell me if the mythic portion is also gestalt?

i am looking at
    CR 3
    1 class//class
    2 class//class
    3 class//class
    4 class//class
    5 class//class
    6 class//class
    7 class//class
    1 mythic//
    2 mythic//
    3 mythic//
    4 mythic//
    Mythic is gestalt - you get two different Mythic paths at each tier, unless I'm hugely misunderstanding.

26. - Top - End - #116

WolfInSheepsClothing

Wait, the Discord is up now? Link?

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Wait, the Discord is up now? Link?
    https://discord.gg/csWtDwY

28. - Top - End - #118
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Oh this looks fun, I'm thinking of making a lizardfolk who's gimmick is that they don't have much magical power of their own so they gather power from their environment and/or magical tools in a shamanistic way
    For world building I'm gonna say that lizardfolk don't have many/any proper wizards or magical schools, and they live in places most races would have difficulty doing so in (densely forested swamps with lots of fey and kami mostly) as far as spellcasters they usually have sorcerers, shamans and alchemists

Drack Vakarin is something his people call an iron bound shamen, someone who takes a bond with a spirit (kami, fe, ghost, what have you) and who uses the powers it grants to learn how to manipulate the energies of the area around them

The shamans are teachers, diplomats and bridges to other cultures and to the spirit world. They are often called upon to imprison or rehabilitate spirits who have grown to be dangerous to the lizardfolk communities

They're also almost guaranteed to produce sorcerous kids if they don't end up sterile or dead, which is where the tradition of them being teachers originated, they're also widely held to be the only ones who can handle a sorcerous child except maybe another sorcerer.

Drack would be a fighter (spirit wielder/venomblade)/alchemist (eldritch infuser/trap breaker) take the gestalt/mythic gestalt HOP feats to get scholar levels and the prestigious HOP feat to get the forest lord prestige class so he'd have lots of magic talents (and a normal amount of alchemist extracts) despite having full bab and whatnot

Lots of alchemy/trap combat sphere abilities
    Lots of nature, destruction, telekinesis, life and (thanks to scholar) time sphere abilities

Just an incredibly versatile combatant, especially if you give him time to prepare and/or he's on his home turf

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

@Marcarius5555 on discord made a couple of requests, if you can answer those

30. - Top - End - #120

I'm still here -- I'm going to try to update this the next couple of days with more information on build rules; my job just changed schedule based on the pandemic, and may be completely unpredictable for the next month, so I'm going to try to do what I can, but my availability is going to potentially be pretty erratic.