Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Goblintown (indie game)

This one is kinda complicated and simple both at the same time.

You are wretched goblins, despised by all other species, living in the squalid and hardscrabble Goblintown. The dangers keep on coming. Save the town from disaster; survive; hold on to what's yours.

Rules. Ray Otus' Goblintown. Seven pages pdf intended to be folded into a booklet. An easy read.

Character classes. Various types of goblin, e.g., barbarian, bratmagnet, kaboomist, rockrunner, shaman's apprentice, skard.

Starting equipment. One "treasure" that helps you do your thing. Another, more personal "treasure" that brings a fragment of joy to your miserable existence.

Starting gold. You gotta be kidding.

Players. Two to five skilled writers willing to post about daily.

Play style. Combat (abstracted mechanics, detailed description) plus roleplay (strategic and tactical decisionmaking, goblin drama).

Questions / interest? Post below.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Goblintown (indie game)

I'll need to read through the rules more later, but I'm potentially interested.

It sounds like we make individual characters as well as have stats for our tribe. Is that right?

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    I'll need to read through the rules more later, but I'm potentially interested.
    Great!
    Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    It sounds like we make individual characters as well as have stats for our tribe. Is that right?
    Yes, the town is generated collectively and the characters are generated individually.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGirl

I'll post tentative interest pending on reading the rules. Sounds like fun though.
    Minister of sarcasm and pragmatism of the Grayview fanclub.

No, none of us were altering the unimutable laws of physics. That would be wrong.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomePirate

This sounds like a lot of fun. Posting interest.
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained

6. - Top - End - #6

Three players are enough - we have room for a couple more.

When you get through the rules, post your characters here. Suggested format:

Arfur Bigeyes
    Slippery d4 d12
    Sneakyd4 d8
    Vicious d8 d12
    Defiant d4 d8 d12
    Rep 0

Lookout. May re-roll a single failed die on any Sneaky attempt.

Treasures. Goblin ghillie cloak. Shiny smooth black rock.

Appearance. Stringy (four and half feet tall, scrawny, with very long fingers and toes) with childlike features (big eyes, big head, big ears, small nose), pebbly grey-and-blue striped skin, and scraps of clothes other than the cloak that he wears everywhere. Basically, ET.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Posting interest , but i'm not an excellent writer (at least not in english because i don't write in english so much)

PS Question...how many dice we have ? The rules says 3d4 3d8 1d12 ,but the example character have 3d4 3d8 3d12
    Last edited by Quentinas; 2020-03-24 at 08:02 PM.
    Finally my computer is without any problem!
    Spoiler: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge: E6 Appetizer Edition Medals
    Show
    Silver medal as Xin in Round XVII
    Gold Medal as Smit in Round XVIII
    Silver Medal as Hit Me In Round XIX
    Gold Medal as The Exiled in Round XIX
    Silver Medal as Elec Tri in Round XX
    Gold Medal as Tawamios in round XXI

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Very interested! Posting my submission below:

Krigul No-Toes
    Slippery d4
    Sneaky d4 d8 d12
    Vicious d8
    Defiant d4 d8
    Rep 0

Rigger. Can build traps or other devices with a successful Sneaky roll.

Treasures. Wooden mallet. Carved walking stick.

Appearance. Stringy (four feet tall, with very long fingers but no toes) with batlike features (upturned nose, large and delicate ears, fangly underbite), scaly skin the color of dried blood, and clad in trinkets (septum piercing, leather straps, and a necklace of feathers and teeth).

She lost the toes on both her feet in a pair of trap-making accidents, but gets around surprisingly well with her beautifully carved and varnished walking stick.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

One-Eyed Netw
    Slippery d4
    Sneaky d4 d8
    Viciousd8
    Defiantd4 d8 d12
    Rep 0

Trainer: Can give orders to his single precious Newt named Dagon. The orders are Attack , Run, Sit

Personal Treasure:A whip used to give order to his pet, a low quality white gem with a black core used as right eye

Appeareance Squat (2'-3' foot tall with stocky knotty bodies) , Blind(empty sockets or vestigial, milky, orbs, best sense = everything else) , Smooth ( shades of green from pond-scum to booger), and wear some tunics( long, gray, sleeveless shirts of spider silk)

He became blind thanks to Dagon and he use the white gem because it was said that he could gain his eyesight. He goes around on his pet , commanding him with his whip , used even to move when he is not mounted on Dagon.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Quentinas View Post
    Posting interest , but i'm not an excellent writer (at least not in english because i don't write in english so much)

PS Question...how many dice we have ? The rules says 3d4 3d8 1d12 ,but the example character have 3d4 3d8 3d12
    I screwed up my example ... mis-read the 1 as a 3.

I'm not sure whether the forum rules would allow you to spoiler your first language under an English language version. I can read Spanish pretty well, German not so much, Russian hardly at all. I understand how frustrating it might be to be constrained to use a language that's not your go-to. If there is a way we can do it within the rules I would like to be able to read your words as you intended them, in addition to the translation.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Well bad luck I mainly use italian, i will try to write in the best way i can sorry if there will be some errors (if is on a post for day i can put some more attention to words)
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12

Posting about daily sounds good to me, how about everyone else?

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Quentinas View Post
    Well bad luck I mainly use italian, i will try to write in the best way i can sorry if there will be some errors (if is on a post for day i can put some more attention to words)
    Actually I just read the Smit post from your sig, I see absolutely no problem being entertained by your writing in English.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Tibbius View Post
    I screwed up my example ... mis-read the 1 as a 3.

I'm not sure whether the forum rules would allow you to spoiler your first language under an English language version. I can read Spanish pretty well, German not so much, Russian hardly at all. I understand how frustrating it might be to be constrained to use a language that's not your go-to. If there is a way we can do it within the rules I would like to be able to read your words as you intended them, in addition to the translation.
    Sheriff: A request was made to weigh in on this. You are correct that posting in a language other than English is not permitted here. (Forum Rules: "This is an English-speaking forum. With the exception of text-only translations of the comic or other specifically authorized exceptions, please use English only on this forum. While an occasional word or phrase is acceptable, entire posts, conversations, or threads in languages other than English will be scrubbed or closed.") That's true even if there's a translation along with it.

Sorry that might inhibit a thread or some participation!
    Forum Rules

Roland in the Dark by Djinn in Tonic

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

I should formally drop out. This sounds cool, but working from home is making it hard to find time for not-working on the computer.

Game sounds cool, though, and I appreciate being made aware of it.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGirl

Lupi Nightrage
    Slippery 1d8
    Sneaky 1d4
    Vicious 1d4 1d8 1d12
    Defiant 1d4 1d8

Berserker: Does not need to make a defiant roll to attack things bigger/scarier than herself.

Treasure: paint pot full of colorful pigments

Appearance: Average Height, Childlike Head, Smooth pond-scum green skin. Trinkets, feathers, leather straps, ear rings (3 in each ear), bone necklace.

Unlike a lot of Goblins, Lupi has never had an accident that cost her any part but she has taken to piercings and tattoos in its stead (although her tattoos are all painted) She is a happy-go-lucky goblin most of the time until something bothers her and then she turns into a ball of rage until her fury is vented.
    Last edited by TerrickTerran; 2020-03-26 at 08:37 AM.

No, none of us were altering the unimutable laws of physics. That would be wrong.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by TerrickTerran View Post
    Question...from the rules it seems the clan all has the same basic appearance...how are we handling this?
    Goblins don't always follow the rules

I'm totally fine with you each customizing your character's appearance, then we can decide by roll and vote how the rest of the clan looks. Up to you how your character is/n't accepted by their clanmates if they differ in appearance.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGirl

Works for me.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by TerrickTerran View Post
    She is a happy-go-lucky goblin most of the time until something bothers her and then she turns into a ball of rage until her fury is vented.
    One of my kids is like this ... so sweet, then after too much teasing she turns into Taz.

20. - Top - End - #20

Ok - let's start building the Town.

Skin [1d8] = 4 [1d8] = 1; Clothes [1d8] = 5 [1d8] = 8; Bodies [1d8] = 6 [1d8] = 3; Heads [1d8] = 7 [1d8] = 2

1. Their skin is either Pebbly, gray-brown, with subtle speckles and stripes or Clammy, pale, almost luminescent.

2. They wear either Scraps: just enough bits of cloth/hide for modesty or “Armor:” odd bits of bone, scale, and/or hide. You feel protected.

3. Their bodies are Average: 4’ tall and stooped, splayed feet/hands or Stringy: 4-5’ tall and thin, with long articulate fingers.

4. Their heads are Rodent-like: beady eyes and intricate, lively whiskers, best sense = smell or Dog-like: hairy faces and flattened snouts with curling nostrils, best sense = smell.

Assets [1d8] = 1 [1d8] = 6; Customs [1d8] = 2 [1d8] = 5

The Town possesses a Dragon(?) Egg: found in the lower caverns and rolled back with great effort. You are keeping it warm, hoping it will hatch. (Many would rather just eat it.) as well as Bats: the celing of the Great Hall is home to a huge colony of small bats. This means a lot of guano, but the bats are edible (if you’re desparate) and can be roused into a noisy, chaotic swarm to confuse intruders.

5. Your fellow goblins either love to party or are glum, pessimistic, stoic, passive, submissive, and resigned to misery.

Everyone please express your preferences for items 1-5. Your Town has both the listed Assets.

The Town initially is threatened by Threat [1d12] = 6 and Monster [1d12] = 7: Dusk Elves, who wrongly believe that your Town hides a valuable artifact; they have no scruples in trying to get it.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGirl

1. Their skin is either Pebbly, gray-brown, with subtle speckles and stripes or Clammy, pale, almost luminescent.

Clammy pale is my choice here.

2. They wear either Scraps: just enough bits of cloth/hide for modesty or “Armor:” odd bits of bone, scale, and/or hide. You feel protected.

"Armor" goblins would like to think those bits are protecting them.

3. Their bodies are Average: 4’ tall and stooped, splayed feet/hands or Stringy: 4-5’ tall and thin, with long articulate fingers.

average....if for no other reason, it's what I picked.

4. Their heads are Rodent-like: beady eyes and intricate, lively whiskers, best sense = smell or Dog-like: hairy faces and flattened snouts with curling nostrils, best sense = smell.

Rodent like heads. Goblins hate dogs, we all know that.

5. Your fellow goblins either love to party or are glum, pessimistic, stoic, passive, submissive, and resigned to misery.

Love to party....Lupi is a happy goblin so she prefers to party rather than being glum.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

I prefer pebbly , gray brown (is nearer to my description and is easier to hide if the skin is not almost luminescent)

2°They wear either Scraps: just enough bits of cloth/hide for modesty or “Armor:” odd bits of bone, scale, and/or hide. You feel protected

No preference here for me, in each case my would be blind to put the "Armor" without any problem so he will use something else

3° Their bodies are Average: 4’ tall and stooped, splayed feet/hands or Stringy: 4-5’ tall and thin, with long articulate fingers.

I prefer Average between the two

4° Their heads are Rodent-like: beady eyes and intricate, lively whiskers, best sense = smell or Dog-like: hairy faces and flattened snouts with curling nostrils, best sense = smell.

For me Rodent, i can say that one of my eyes is glimmering !

5° Your fellow goblins either love to party or are glum, pessimistic, stoic, passive, submissive, and resigned to misery.

Personally One eye Netw would be pessimistic.. but is okay if the rest of the goblins love to party
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23

@Quentinas - how do you pronounce "Netw"?

@Cyclopean - do you have a preference regarding the goblins' skin type?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Tibbius View Post
    @Quentinas - how do you pronounce "Netw"?
    I'm not good with pronunciation , but was more related to the pet (because the pet is a newt) i think a pronunciation could be similiar to the word "nets"
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGirl

Glad this is PBP...I'd go nuts trying to pronounce that in a live game. Fun though.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground

Here's my preferences:

1: clammy, pale, almost luminescent skin.

2: Scraps for clothing.

3: Stringy bodies.

4: Rodent heads yes!

5: Let's go with party goblins.

27. - Top - End - #27

Your tribe have clammy luminescent skin like salamanders, they wear scraps of "armor" that they think protects them, they crouch about four feet tall and have feet and hands like frogs, with heads like rats. They love to party.

I will post a game thread soon.

28. - Top - End - #28

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd like to play if there's still room :)

Ick
    Slippery 1d12, 1d8, 1d4
    Sneaky 1d4
    Vicious 1d8
    Defiant 1d8, 1d4
    Rep 3

Rockrunner: +d4 to Slippery any time he climbs, can also travel quickly between (seemingly) unconnected map areas.

Treasures.
    *Obsidian climbing-claw gloves. (Knack treasure)
    *A pale, flat rock that is visible even in the dark.
    *A shiny hard thing that is like a thick heavy triangle with the short side curved. A long round wooden piece goes through a hole near the point of the triangle opposite the curved side. The curved side is very sharp, although it has a couple of notches from bouncing off the wall.

Appearance. Ick has disproportionately long limbs for his squat, pot-bellied frame. His dull red eyes squint out at you as he adjusts his bone shinpads and clawlike gloves.
    Last edited by SlyJohnny; 2020-04-27 at 06:54 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by SlyJohnny View Post
    I'd like to play if there's still room :)
    That's fine, I will update first post of game thread and you can post your first actions/thoughts at the end.