New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

Default Looking into Mouse Guard

Hello! Recently, I’ve been hearing some people talking about Mouse 2nd Edition, and it’s got me looking into it. It seems fun, but I want to know from people who have played it, is it worth the money? And if so, is it worth getting the box set rather than just the rulebook?

Thanks in advance!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Looking into Mouse Guard

I ran Mouseguard for a little while put of just the book. It's got a few things in it from Burning Wheel that can be obtuse to approach but doing them a few times really helps you get used to it. With Mouseguard specifically, combats/challenges are very different from most other games along with the concept of the GM/Player turn.

For the book or the box set, I often have the issue of looking at a novel game or ruleset and thinking "Cool, but what do you do?" And that was definitely the case for me with just the Mouseguard book. If you have that issue, the box set might be the place to go if it gives you a little bit more adventure stuff. Otherwise, I think being pretty familiar with the comics and having the book would be more than sufficient.
    Former Owner of GiTP's fanciest Bloodbowl Team: The Fancy Lads
    The League's Self-Proclaimed Perennial Favorites and Season III Champions!
    Current Owner and Manager of Rampant Professionalism

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by houlio View Post
    I ran Mouseguard for a little while put of just the book. It's got a few things in it from Burning Wheel that can be obtuse to approach but doing them a few times really helps you get used to it. With Mouseguard specifically, combats/challenges are very different from most other games along with the concept of the GM/Player turn.

For the book or the box set, I often have the issue of looking at a novel game or ruleset and thinking "Cool, but what do you do?" And that was definitely the case for me with just the Mouseguard book. If you have that issue, the box set might be the place to go if it gives you a little bit more adventure stuff. Otherwise, I think being pretty familiar with the comics and having the book would be more than sufficient.
    Thanks for the response!
    Definitely a good way to think about it, and since I’m not very familiar with the comics, looks like I’ll be saving up for a little.
    Thanks again.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Techcaliber View Post
    Thanks for the response!
    Definitely a good way to think about it, and since IÂ’m not very familiar with the comics, looks like IÂ’ll be saving up for a little.
    Thanks again.
    The boxed set is worth it. It comes with a map, dice, character sheets, GM sheets, and additional content (rules for boating and such).