Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Rift in Reality [PF1e Isekai Gestalt w/ Spheres]

This doesn’t make any sense. One minute, you were relaxing on the deck of a cruise liner. Maybe you were playing shuffleboard, maybe you were sunning yourself, maybe you were swimming in the pool, maybe you were making use of the poolside bar. It was supposed to be a nice little four-day trip. In fact, the trip was almost over – three days in, everything was wonderful and you were feeling really good about the deal you got on your ticket because this has been just the vacation you needed from your otherwise stressful and busy life. It was around four in the afternoon, about the time to start thinking about what you were going to order for dinner tonight, when that strange bank of fog rolled in…

You don’t remember much after that. A sense of unease, or dread… a loud crash. The feeling of being suddenly pitched into the icy cold, pitch black waters. The sound of… laughter?

And then, you woke up here. On a beach that, at first, seemed ordinary, but the more you looked around, the more strange it got. There are the strange creatures that eye you beyond the treeline, croaking strange cries and gnashing their teeth. There are your companions – whom you certainly don’t recognize from the cruise, but they insist that they’re from there, too! And then, of course, there’s you. You’re different, too. You’ve woken up with strange equipment, strange abilities, and stuck in a strange world. There is no shipwreck in sight. No boat out there on the ocean, no helicopters or planes flying over in search of you. It’s like you’ve been shoved into Castaway only there’s an elf down the beach trying out their newly discovered magic. And you have a feeling things are only going to get stranger from here…

Welcome to the Rift in Reality.

System: Pathfinder 1st edition supplemented by Spheres
    Player Count: 3-5
    Style of Play: Heavy focus on Exploration and Survival, plenty of Hack ‘n Slash, possibility for Puzzle and Intrigue
    Allowed Content:
    Anything 1st Edition Pathfinder on the PFSRD
    Spheres of Power/Might/Champions of the Spheres
    DSP Psionics
    3rd Party should be run by me. I’m not willing to learn new subsystems at this time. Things like homebrew races/bloodlines/curses and custom items have a much higher chance of getting approved than anything else.

Character Creation:
    • Backstory: I usually select players based on their backstory. Definitely a requirement.
    • Experience: 6th level Gestalt
    • Wealth: WBL divided by 2 (so, everyone starts with 8,000 gp) plus Automatic Bonus Progression as though your starting level was two levels higher (so you read the table as if your level was 8)
    • Ability Scores: Several options, and you can throw the dice at all of them once before settling on the array you want. I don’t want scores to limit your interest or your build. You may:
      Roll 4d6b3 seven times, and choose the six scores you want
      Use the Focus/Foil method (choose one score to get an 8, one score to get an 18, and then for the rest roll 1d10+7. You may arrange the other 4 scores however you like).
      Use “heroic rolls,” 2d6+6 six times, and order the scores however you like.
      And if all of those fail, it’s a 25 point buy. Don't forget your ability score increase!
    • Hitpoints/Health: Max for the first level. After that, roll for HP. If you roll a 1 (or a 2 in the case of d10s or d12s) I allow a re-roll. As many as you need until it's not a 1 (or 2).
    • Alignment: Any, but be prepared to work with the party.
    • Races: All Core. All Planestouched (including Wayangs, Aphorites, and Suli). Goblins.

Other Notes:
    2 Traits, or 3 and a flaw
    Background Skills
    Spoiler: The Big Sixteen
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
    Pathfinder First Edition with Spheres

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
    Homebrew Setting on a Fantasy Island

A note on power: In this world, 5th level is the new 1st level. You probably won't run into any NPCs weaker than 5th level besides children - though those 5 levels might not be in a PC class. In the grand scheme of things, 6th level isn't all that strong, even if you do have a bit of a magical boost over the everyday mundane schmuck - most NPCs will not have ABP.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
    3-5 with up to the same number of alternates. Attrition is a big problem in PbP and has killed most of my campaigns, so be prepared to get tapped if you are an alternate!

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
    PbP on these forums, and possibly a Discord for OOC.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    Level 6

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    8,000 gp plus Automatic Bonus Progression +2. Treat your character as two levels higher on the table (so, level 8).
    You also get an extra something special! See below…

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
    If you have magic, you must be a Spherecaster. Casting classes that are not Spherecasters must take an Archetype that gives them Spherecasting or takes away their casting. More information about magic (mainly casting traditions) below.
    I am lifting the alignment restriction on Monks, and Paladins may be LG, LN, or NG. Antipaladins may be LE, LN, or NE.
    For Clerics and other classes that must worship a diety, see information about the Pantheon below.
    Spheres of Might classes and Champions of the Spheres classes are in. DSP Psionics is in. Magic/Psionic abilities are transparent, meaning that Arcana checks will succeed in telling a character information about Psionic effects.
    Classes with Unchained Variants must use said Unchained Variants.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
    Core + Goblins and Planestouched. Planestouched include: Aasimar, Aphorites, Fetchling, Ifrit, Oread, Suli, Sylph, Tiefling, Undine, Wayang.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
    Several options, and you can throw the dice at all of them once before settling on the array you want. I don’t want scores to limit your interest or your build. You may:

Roll 4d6b3 seven times, and choose the six scores you want
    Use the Focus/Foil method (choose one score to get an 8, one score to get an 18, and then for the rest roll 1d10+7. You may arrange the other 4 scores however you like).
    Use “heroic rolls,” 2d6+6 six times, and order the scores however you like.
    And if all of those fail, it’s a 25 point buy. Don't forget your ability score increase!

Hitpoints are Max for the first level. After that, roll for HP. If you roll a 1 (or a 2 in the case of d10s or d12s) I allow a re-roll. As many as you need until it's not a 1 (or 2).

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    Alignment will be used. PCs may have any alignment so long as they work with the party. Again refer to notes on classes for Monk and (Anti)Paladin changes.
    Note: Dragons are not color coded by alignment. Certain sentient Undead may not be evil. Outsiders, Fey, Magical Beasts, and non-sentient Undead play by the rules.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
    Go crazy, but keep all “like” classes to one side of the gestalt. No Rogue 1/Barbarian 2//Fighter 1/Rogue 1/Ranger 1 (so you’re technically a second level rogue and such). This should go without saying, but just tossing it out there. Overlapping class features use the better side (so if you get a sneak attack from both sides of your gestalt, you only get the sneak attack that does more damage, you don’t get to stack the two). If you have a Spherecasting class on both sides, you use the higher caster level of the two. Etc, etc, if more questions about gestalt come up I will answer them on an as-needed basis.
    You can use or ignore Fractional BAB/Saves, choose to use one and not the other, I don’t mind. Just don’t change halfway through the first combat or anything. That said, I do allow retraining.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
    Combat, I’ve found, is something that really drags in PbP, so to amend that, I will be taking over a few player rolls to keep things moving. I will roll initiatives and player saves versus enemy attacks. I will also roll Perception checks vs. things like traps for classes with Trapfinding, Perception checks vs. ambushes to see if they get a surprise round, unless you beat me to it. Combat will use block Initiative. Players will roll their own attacks and damage, skill checks, etc.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
    These are mentioned above, but to have them all in one place, we will be using:
    2 Traits or 3 Traits and a Flaw
    Background Skills
    Automatic Bonus Progression
    Fractional BAB/Saves (optional!)

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
    Background for this one is sort of interesting, as you character is being thrown into a setting that they have no knowledge about. Therefore, I do not require a long backstory since it is less likely to come into play in this setting. However, as mentioned above, I do tend to choose my players based on the effort they put into their characters.
    I will be looking more at personality than background, and it would be nice to be given some sort of indication of how your character feels having washed up onto a new, unknown fantasy land and what they think about their powers. Our story will begin at least a few days after the shipwreck, so assume your character already knows that they can perform all the abilities on their character sheet!

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    The game will focus mainly on exploration, at least at the beginning, with a decent amount of hack ‘n slash with opportunities to find and explore dungeons. The world you’ve found yourselves in is fairly large, and there will be plot hooks here and there that can lead to other play styles for a while, such as intrigue and puzzle solving. I highly encourage roleplaying.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
    Most of what’s allowed has already been mentioned, so here’s the chance I have to say I will not be using Path of War.

Spoiler: Special Item
    Show
    Besides your WBL and your ABP, everyone in the game starts out with a special item: your cellphone. That’s right, you heard me, your cellphone, though many of its functions are limited. You know you can definitely use it to call the cellphones of the people with you, so who needs a sending spell? It also can tell you the time of day and count your steps, but attempting to use the GPS or a map linked to your location just shows you as adrift in a random spot inside the Bermuda Triangle. Because of course this sort of thing happens in the Bermuda Triangle.

Spoiler: Casting Traditions
    Show
    As mentioned before, all magic in this setting will be Spheres magic. On top of that, players are only allowed to choose from certain traditions (or, if you have an idea that really makes or breaks your character, PM me and perhaps we can work something out, but I’d like you to stick to these!). Basically, the idea is that since you have been plopped down into this strange world, it is from this strange world that you are getting your magic, be it from the land, a bound creature native to this world, or a divine patron. Attempting to manufacture magic on your own is not only unstable, but quite dangerous! Well, unless you’ve got something special going for you… a lot changed when you slipped between worlds, after all. Any casters you run into in this setting will also be limited to these casting traditions, though they will not have access to the Bringing in the New Stuff tradition.
    A special note: You can add your own Sphere-Specific Drawbacks to these casting traditions. Sphere-specific Drawbacks are not linked to the tradition, they are linked to the caster, so feel free to tack on anything you like that makes your character more thematic!
    You may also choose to add Somatic Casting or Somatic Casting x2 to any of the traditions below, but only to grant you extra spell points.
    There are no restrictions on what spheres you can take with a particular tradition, with one exception: if you want to take the Technomancy Sphere, you must have the Bringing in the New Stuff tradition.

Spoiler: Divine Patron
    Show
    Quite simply, your magic has been given to you by one of the strange gods in this new world. You don’t know what you’ve done to attract their attention, much less what to do with it, but it seems like someone is looking out for you… or at least has an eye on you.
    Casting Ability Modifier: Wisdom
    General Drawbacks: Choose either Focus Casting or Galvanized, Mental Focus, Verbal Casting
    Boons: Easy Focus, +1 Spell Point, +1 Spell Points per 3 levels in casting classes

Spoiler: Magic of the Land
    Show
    This strange new land is rife with weird energies, and slowly you’re learning how to take the magic in the land and bend it to your own will – whether or not nature appreciates you doing this is another story altogether, but the more you do it, the more you feel attuned to the land itself, and its creatures.
    Casting Ability Modifier: Any Mental Score
    General Drawbacks: Magical Signs, Consciousness-Linked, Terrain Casting
    Boons: Wild Will (terrain of your choice), Atmoturgy (category of your choice)

Spoiler: Magical Companion
    Show
    When you woke up here, you weren’t entirely alone. Sitting by you was a strange, intelligent creature, as fascinated by you as you were of it. A bond quickly formed between you, and by teaming up with this strange and unique being, you have gained access to some strange powers.
    Casting Ability Modifier: Any Mental Score
    General Drawbacks: Focus Casting, Spell Stand-In
    Boons: Bound Creature

Spoiler: Blood Magic
    Show
    If there’s power in the land and in the creatures, certainly there’s power within you, too, isn’t there? Life is one of the richest sources of power that there is, and you’ve certainly got a lot of blood inside of you to fuel the magic that those around you are trying other ways to get…
    Casting Ability Modifier: Constitution
    General Drawbacks: Anemic, Draining Casting, Painful Magic, Witchmarked
    Boons: Fortified Casting, Overcharge or Overwhelming Power, Sanguine Empowerment

Spoiler: Experimentation
    Show
    If there’s power in the land and in the creatures, certainly there’s power within you, too, isn’t there? You just have to keep trying different things until you get it right! And, well, there’s always a risk of error when attempting to do things no one’s attempted before, isn’t there? You won’t let the risks scare you away from the rewards!
    Casting Ability Modifier: Charisma
    General Drawbacks: Addictive Casting, Center of Power, Emotional Casting, Incompatible Energies, Wild Magic
    Boons: Empowered Abilities, Draw Magic or Overcharge, Wild Surge

Spoiler: Twisted by the Rift
    Show
    Your fall between worlds wasn’t as graceful as the others. Maybe the waves tossed you around more, maybe you hit your head, but regardless, when you woke up in this new world, it was with weakness added on top of your newfound abilities.
    Casting Ability Modifier: Charisma
    General Drawbacks: Innate Curse, Maddness Mantra, Vulnerable Spellcaster, Witchmarked
    Boons: Deathful Magic, Empowered Abilities, 1 Drawback Feat of Your Choice (must meet prereqs)

Spoiler: Reaching Between Worlds
    Show
    Though you woke up in this new world, you think that a little piece of yourself might have remained behind. You still have dreams about the real world – not like everyone else does, though. You’re quite sure that these dreams are real, showing you the events of the world that you left behind. Reaching back and forth between these two planes of existence, you are able to see things a little more clearly than your peers, and empower your magic in ways that they haven’t even considered…
    Casting Ability Modifier: Wisdom
    General Drawbacks: Extended Casting, Narcoleptic Casting, Prepared Caster
    Boons: Draw Magic, Metamagic Expert

Spoiler: Bringing in the New Stuff
    Show
    Just because this strange new world has magic and strange races and monstrous creatures, that doesn’t mean it’s any better than your own world! You’ve chosen to rely on what you know, with familiar objects and knowledge at your side to guide you in this strange place.
    Casting Ability Modifier: Intelligence
    General Drawbacks: Expensive Locus, Focus Casting [Cellphone], Skilled Casting [K: Engineering or a similar Profession or Lore Skill], Unstable Storage
    Boons: Alien Source, Virtuoso, Access to the Technomancy Sphere

Spoiler: Pantheon
    Show
    I’m going to leave most of this open to be discovered by your characters in-game, but in the case of classes who have to start with worship of particular deity, you’d probably like to know what those deities are, wouldn’t you? So, without further ado:

Hilal – Transitions [Changing Seasons, Birth, Childhood, Adulthood, Death]
    • Symbols: Butterfly, Four Interlocking Rings
    • Domains [Cleric, Druid, etc.] and Mysteries [Oracle]:Chaos, Law, Good, Evil, Liberation; Life, Nature, Wind
    • Favored Weapon: Butterfly Swords
    • Alignment: N

Ta’lab – Tides, Fertility, and Agriculture
    • Symbols: Stem of Wheat, The Full Moon
    • Domains [Cleric, Druid, etc.] and Mysteries [Oracle]: Animal, Community, Earth, Plant, Water; Waves, Stone, Nature
    • Favored Weapon: Scythe
    • Alignment: NG

Ruda – Ether [Moon, Mysteries, and Magic]
    • Symbols: Crescent Moon, Eclipsed Moon
    • Domains [Cleric, Druid, etc.] and Mysteries [Oracle]: Trickery, Rune, Magic, Madness, Destruction, Darkness, Artifice; Dark Tapestry, Heavens
    • Favored Weapon: Starknife
    • Alignment: LE

Ashra – Vengeance [Assassinations, Murder, Betrayal, Revenge]
    • Symbols: A Drop of Blood
    • Domains [Cleric, Druid, etc.] and Mysteries [Oracle]: Trickery, Madness, Evil; Reaper, Spellscar, Intrigue
    • Favored Weapon: Dagger
    • Alignment: NE

Kuthba – Knowledge, Maps [Travel], and Magic
    • Symbols: Upward-Facing Arrow, Burning Candle
    • Domains [Cleric, Druid, etc.] and Mysteries [Oracle]: Artifice, Knowledge, Magic, Rune, Travel, Fire; Ancestor, Lore, Flame
    • Favored Weapon: Longbow
    • Alignment: CG

Quam – War, Death, and Darkness
    • Symbols: Skull, Aurora
    • Domains [Cleric, Druid, etc.] and Mysteries [Oracle]: Darkness, Death, Destruction, Strength, War, Chaos; Bones, Battle
    • Favored Weapon: Morningstar
    • Alignment: CN

Anbay – Justice, Protection, and Courage
    • Symbols: Star-Emblazoned Shield, Scroll
    • Domains [Cleric, Druid, etc.] and Mysteries [Oracle]: Strength, Air, Protection, Nobility, Good, Glory, Charm; Battle, Heavens
    • Favored Weapon: Spiked Shield (Light)
    • Alignment: LG

Basamum – Health, Mercy, and Healing
    • Symbols: Gold Ring
    • Domains [Cleric, Druid, etc.] and Mysteries [Oracle]: Community, Good, Healing, Water; Life
    • Favored Weapon: Unarmed Strike

Anwat – Beasts and Savagery [Nature, Death, Poison, and Sickness]
    • Symbols: Black Widow
    • Domains [Cleric, Druid, etc.] and Mysteries [Oracle]: Animal, Plant, Evil, Earth, Death; Wood, Nature, Bones
    • Favored Weapon: Nine-Section Whip
    • Alignment: CE

Hubal – Time [Past, Present, Future]
    • Symbols: Hourglass turned on its Side
    • Domains [Cleric, Druid, etc.] and Mysteries [Oracle]: Knowledge, Repose; Ancestor, Time, Heavens, Lore
    • Favored Weapon: Quarterstaff

Nuha – Sun, Stars, and Industry
    • Symbols: Her Name, spoken or written
    • Domains [Cleric, Druid, etc.] and Mysteries [Oracle]: Sun, Fire, Glory, Artifice; Metal, Stone, Flame
    • Favored Weapon: Lucerne Hammer
    • Alignment: LG

Quzah – Weather, Wind, Music
    • Symbols: Swirl or Coil
    • Domains [Cleric, Druid, etc.] and Mysteries [Oracle]: Air, Charm, Destruction, Water, Weather, Knowledge; Wind, Waves, Lore
    • Favored Weapon: Flying Blade

Sa’d – Fortune [Wealth, Health, and Luck]
    • Symbols: A Silver Coin with a Heart on one side and a Club on the other
    • Domains [Cleric, Druid, etc.] and Mysteries [Oracle]: Charm, Earth, Luck, Nobility, Liberation; Life, Heavens, Stone, Whimsy
    • Favored Weapon: Sword Cane

Theandrios – Hero God [Mortal ascended to Godhood]
    • Symbols: Star, Constellation of Theandrios
    • Domains [Cleric, Druid, etc.] and Mysteries [Oracle]: Any Domain or Mystery, but Glory, Nobility, and Heavens are the most common
    • Favored Weapon: Nine-Ring Broadsword

Spoiler: Knowledge Checks
    Show
    Thought I’d include this because a setting like this one makes it weird! After all, how can you make a Nobility Check when you don’t even know if there’s a King or not? Basically, the way that Knowledge checks are going to work is, if a situation arises that you want to know more about, I will tell you what Knowledge check (or other check) to make. If you pass, your will “remember” information that you didn’t know you even knew!

Such as the following situation: A Ranger comes across a plant creature that does not exist in the real world. He makes a Nature check and identifies it as an Assassin Vine. Ranger has a moment of “wait, how did I know that?” It’s part of the magic of an alternate reality.

You cannot exploit this, however. Such as, when we start the campaign, you cannot just go “Okay, well I would like to make a Nobility check to learn about every ruler that exists in this world.” That will not work. This is a case where your character will have to, in-game, either encounter or hear about the thing/location/person they want to make a check about before they can make that check to see what they know about it.
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2020-03-20 at 09:13 PM.
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

-Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Rift in Reality [PF1e Isekai Gestalt w/ Spheres]

Player Character Race Class Complete?
    ChaoticHarmony Tony 'Steelhand' Stelhar Oread (Ironsoul) Striker 4/Brawler (Brutal Pummeler) (Constructed Pugilist) 2//Blacksmith 6 Yes
    Paradox26 Father Bob Aasimar Psion (Shaper) 5/Thrallherd 1//Kineticist (Air) 6 Yes
    Cheesy74 Reginald 'Reverend Reg' Talbot Aasimar Oracle 6// Bard (Corteggiare) 6 Yes
    Da'Shain Bannon Nykvist Human UnBarbarian 4/ Fighter 2// Cryptic 6 Yes
    SwordChucks Frank Giardino Goblin Technician 6//Martial Armorist 6 Yes
    The Vagabond "Lord of the Fireworks" Aasimar [Peri-Blooded] Conscript 6//Incanter 2/Thaumaturge 4 No
    AvatarVecna Unnamed and Akela Goblin Gunslinger (Gunfighter) (Musket Master) 6//Conscript 6 No
    Hellfire014 Tanya Woods and Adair Halfling Martial Armorist 6// Incanter 6 Yes
    ooogooman Daniel Landvik Human Alchemist (Mortal Chemist, Vivisectionist, Toxicant) 6//Incanter 6 Yes
    rs2excelsior Arthur Caldwell and Sue Human Mageknight (Dragoon/Martial MK) 6 // Oracle (Sphere Oracle) 6 Yes
    redfeline Alex Gnome Scholar 6//Paladin (Champion Of The Cause) 6 Yes
    JerichoPenumbra Damien Douglas Tiefling (Kyton-Spawn) Mageknight 6//Investigator 3/Scholar 3 Yes
    Lokyar Deacon Kairos Human Symbiat 6//Sentinel 1/ Armorist 2/ Investigator 3 Yes
    oyzar Stein Hard Half-Orc Skald (Sphere Skald, Growling Marauder) 6//Bloodrager (Blood Conduit, Sphere Bloodrager) 1/Brawler (Hinyasi) 5 Yes
    PotatoGolem Det. Mike Goldman Aasimar (Archon, Heavenborn, Scion) Incanter 6//Conscript 6 Yes
    CasualViking Raymond Carter Half-Orc Barbarian (Painted Savage) 6//Prodigy 6 Yes
    Irrelephant Nick Albrecht and Aima Aasimar (Archon-Blooded, Scion of Humanity) Voyager 6 (Metronome) // Urban Bloodrager 1 (Hemophage) / Sorcerer 3 (Dual-Blooded Sorcerer) / Hedgewitch 2 (Iron Mage) Yes
    bcool999 Zachariah Walker Dhampir Mageknight (Dread Crusader) 6 // Conscript 6 Almost
    Triskavanski Megan Allbright Human Armorist 6//Armiger 6 Almost
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2020-04-01 at 04:54 PM.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

That's interesting :)
    For the character, I'll go full Spheres and make a Prodigy / Fey Adept with the Magical Companion tradition. Not sure what kind of weapon she'll use, but that's for later. Alignment will probably be CG.

So, for the rolls:
    Spoiler: 4d6b3
    Show

Roll #1: (4d6b3)[12]
    Roll #2: (4d6b3)[12]
    Roll #3: (4d6b3)[8]
    Roll #4: (4d6b3)[9]
    Roll #5: (4d6b3)[13]
    Roll #6: (4d6b3)[18]
    Roll #7: (4d6b3)[10]

Spoiler: Focus / Foil
    Show

STR: 8
    DEX: (1d10+7)[15]
    CON: (1d10+7)[13]
    INT: (1d10+7)[9]
    WIS: (1d10+7)[11]
    CHA: 18

Spoiler: 2d6+6
    Show

Roll #1: (2d6+6)[9]
    Roll #2: (2d6+6)[12]
    Roll #3: (2d6+6)[12]
    Roll #4: (2d6+6)[9]
    Roll #5: (2d6+6)[12]
    Roll #6: (2d6+6)[16]

HP: (5d10)[23]

Yeah, all around **** rolls, 25 point buy it is.
    Last edited by Imladir; 2020-03-19 at 08:16 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

So, I know you mentioned in the other thread you don't want too much 'anime' type characters for this, so I'd like to run by my idea and ask some questions before I finalize things.

So my build idea is a Blacksmith/Striker with a couple levels in Constructed Pugilist Brawler.

So my first question is, will our backstories have to justify why we can do some of the things our classes can do? Or does that fall under something similar to the Knowledge checks, being 'how the heck am I doing this?'

Second, Would I be required to use the Brutal Pummeler Brawler archetype with the Constructed Pugilist since I'm utilizing combat talents?

And lastly, if no to the last question, what track do I use to determine my unarmed strike damage, the brawler's up a size or the number of unarmed combat talents I have?

I was thinking my guy was a former boxer that got into an accident that made him lose his arm, but I also like the blacksmith Abilities and thought it would be cool for him to be able to maintain/make things as well
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Collins
    Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be if we met at midnight in the hanging tree

5. - Top - End - #5

EvilClericGuy

Hmm definitely still interested. Will see about putting together something in the next few days. Maybe something with paladin or cleric involved. Not overly familiar with spheres rules but I'll figure them out.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show

4d6b3:
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[10]

Focus Foil:
    (1d10+7)[15]
    (1d10+7)[13]
    (1d10+7)[16]
    (1d10+7)[13]

heroic rolls:
    (2d6)[2]+6
    (2d6)[8]+6
    (2d6)[9]+6
    (2d6)[12]+6
    (2d6)[11]+6
    (2d6)[5]+6

edit: missed the +6 which explains a lot about those results XD

Edit: eh, never mind, going over it I don't think spheres is for me (too much to learn to change systems I'm already ok with as they are).
    Last edited by ImperialSunligh; 2020-03-20 at 08:33 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Well shoot.. no fuzzy races.

But well here is the rolls

(4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[7]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[5]
    (4d6b3)[15]

or
    (2d6+6)[13]
    (2d6+6)[15]
    (2d6+6)[14]
    (2d6+6)[16]
    (2d6+6)[10]
    (2d6+6)[11]
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Hannah linked me this thread from another one of her games' Discords - reserving a space here for a character, thinking about a minion master build, unchained summoner//ectopic artisan aegis. Previous identity is an extremely uncharitable take on a tech or aerospace CEO.
    HOMEBREW
    The Phase Dancer - A spellsword who has learned to use teleportation to stab people.
    The Stalwart - An unarmed, unarmored wall of muscle that fights with surges of strength and massive combat maneuver combos.

8. - Top - End - #8

BarbarianGuy

Forgot to include my rolls

(4d6b3)[8]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[8]
    (4d6b3)[7]
    (4d6b3)[16]

Or

(2d6+6)[12]
    (2d6+6)[14]
    (2d6+6)[13]
    (2d6+6)[13]
    (2d6+6)[14]
    (2d6+6)[9]

Edit: point buy it is!
    Last edited by ChaoticHarmony; 2020-03-19 at 08:46 PM.
    Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be if we met at midnight in the hanging tree

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChaoticHarmony View Post
    So, I know you mentioned in the other thread you don't want too much 'anime' type characters for this, so I'd like to run by my idea and ask some questions before I finalize things.

So my build idea is a Blacksmith/Striker with a couple levels in Constructed Pugilist Brawler.

So my first question is, will our backstories have to justify why we can do some of the things our classes can do? Or does that fall under something similar to the Knowledge checks, being 'how the heck am I doing this?'

Second, Would I be required to use the Brutal Pummeler Brawler archetype with the Constructed Pugilist since I'm utilizing combat talents?

And lastly, if no to the last question, what track do I use to determine my unarmed strike damage, the brawler's up a size or the number of unarmed combat talents I have?

I was thinking my guy was a former boxer that got into an accident that made him lose his arm, but I also like the blacksmith Abilities and thought it would be cool for him to be able to maintain/make things as well
    1. You don't need any link between your backstory and your new abilities if you don't want one. If you do, that's fine, too!
    2. There are other ways to get combat talents, such as exchanging feats for them, but it seems to me that Brutal Pummeler is the simplest route to go to get it, as those said other routes couldn't get you to adept practitioner levels.
    3. Since this is already gestalt and you get to choose the "best of both worlds" for everything else, you choose on that last one. Whichever suits you better.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

How do you rule/think about the use of the Enhancement Sphere or things like Arcane Pool with the Automatic Bonus Progression?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Genth View Post
    How do you rule/think about the use of the Enhancement Sphere or things like Arcane Pool with the Automatic Bonus Progression?
    In general terms, I allow specific targeted magic/class features to stack with ABP.

12. - Top - End - #12

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hannahbbug3 View Post
    1. You don't need any link between your backstory and your new abilities if you don't want one. If you do, that's fine, too!
    2. There are other ways to get combat talents, such as exchanging feats for them, but it seems to me that Brutal Pummeler is the simplest route to go to get it, as those said other routes couldn't get you to adept practitioner levels.
    3. Since this is already gestalt and you get to choose the "best of both worlds" for everything else, you choose on that last one. Whichever suits you better.
    Thank you! Rolling for HP now
    (1d10)[4]
    (1d10)[4]
    (1d10)[8]
    (1d10)[10]
    (1d10)[5]

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I have a vague idea for a Technician//Hedgewitch using the Bringing in the New Stuff tradition, though I likely wouldn't use the Technomancy sphere. But they'd use a firearm, a pistol, and boost it using magic that allows them to tinker with physics at a very technical level.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

I have a vague idea for a Technician//Hedgewitch using the Bringing in the New Stuff tradition, though I likely wouldn't use the Technomancy sphere. But they'd use a firearm, a pistol, and boost it using magic that allows them to tinker with physics at a very technical level.
    Interesting idea, go for it! Just realizing I didn't mention anything about firearms in the OP. In the world you are entering, guns are nonexistant in most parts of the world, or early/emerging in a few sparse places. You are approved to have them for starting equipment (paying their full cost).
    As for ammo, I don't usually track mundane stuff, but if it's special ammo, it will need to be tracked. So you wouldn't need to track pellets or ordinary firearm bullets, but you would need to keep up with alchemical cartridges, dragoon cartridges, and black powder - and in the case of black powder, you would need to be worried about keeping it dry, too. I know technicians can give some work-arounds for those sorts of things, though (if you weren't planning on taking railgun, I would!), so have at it!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Hmm. That's annoying. The Creation Sphere has been changed to not allow Alchemical Items to be made from the Alchemy Sphere. I wonder if there is any decent way to use magic with guns and alchemy sphere, or if I wouldn't be better set to just go full Spheres of Might, grab a full BAB class to go with my Technician

Greh, and I can't even use it to make raw materials to craft items from, as permanent material creation isn't until 10th level. Bummer.
    Last edited by Genth; 2020-03-19 at 09:26 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Yay! @HannahBbug I really appreciate your receptiveness to feedback regarding level!

Lets see what the dice gods have to say about things before I decide which concept I want to stat up.
    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

(4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[7]

(1d10+7)[17]
    (1d10+7)[8]
    (1d10+7)[14]
    (1d10+7)[13]

(2d6+6)[12]
    (2d6+6)[16]
    (2d6+6)[11]
    (2d6+6)[14]
    (2d6+6)[11]
    (2d6+6)[13]
    A man who dies fighting with his principles intact dies in glory. To expect enemies to follow the same code of honor defiles that honor, reducing it to a set of arbitrary rules.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Spoiler: I'll have a go too at the rolling of the dice
    Show
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[11]

(1d10+7)[8]
    (1d10+7)[14]
    (1d10+7)[10]
    (1d10+7)[10]

(2d6+6)[14]
    (2d6+6)[14]
    (2d6+6)[16]
    (2d6+6)[12]
    (2d6+6)[11]
    (2d6+6)[9]

Wow. Just... Wow.
    Last edited by Genth; 2020-03-19 at 09:43 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

The Dice Gods are angry today.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Imladir View Post
    The Dice Gods are angry today.
    This is why I hate random stats. Even in a game like this, that offers so many safety nets, the process is still blatantly unfair.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anyr View Post
    This is why I hate random stats. Even in a game like this, that offers so many safety nets, the process is still blatantly unfair.
    Nah, I don't hold truck with the unfairness argument. Any logic you apply to stat generation can be applied to the game as a whole, and nobody is calling to remove all dice from the game

21. - Top - End - #21

BarbarianGuy

Here is my WIP sheet Ali 'Steelhand' Balboa

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Nah, I don't hold truck with the unfairness argument. Any logic you apply to stat generation can be applied to the game as a whole, and nobody is calling to remove all dice from the game
    The game's other randomness gets a chance to average out. The PCs will roll a huge amount of attacks and skills checks. If you miss once, there'll be another chance to hit later. Stat rolls are different. They're rolled once (or three times, in this case) at the beginning of the game. Get a fantastic set of attributes? They'll be with you for the entire campaign. Likewise for a poor set. It's nothing like the other types of roll.

Granted, this particular game is more forgiving. Players get three chances to roll well. And even if they fail all three, they can fall back on point buy. So the unfairness is less pronounced. But it is still there. It'd be so much simpler for the rules to be '25 point buy'.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

No idea what I might build. Gonna go ahead and roll me some stats, see what comes up from those:

Spoiler: Dice for the dice god!
    Show
    Classic:
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[10]

Focus/Foible:
    (1d10+7)[12]
    (1d10+7)[9]
    (1d10+7)[16]
    (1d10+7)[8]

Heroic:
    (2d6+6)[14]
    (2d6+6)[13]
    (2d6+6)[15]
    (2d6+6)[17]
    (2d6+6)[10]
    (2d6+6)[13]

EDIT: I think any of these are workable, though I'll likely take the first or third set. I'll see what comes to mind!
    Last edited by rs2excelsior; 2020-03-19 at 10:16 PM.
    A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Well without any fuzzy races, I'm thinking Shifter: Ooze Morph | Something else?

Particularly, I'd want to pick up the Legendary Shifter version of the Ooze morph.
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Triskavanski View Post
    Well without any fuzzy races, I'm thinking Shifter: Ooze Morph | Something else?

Particularly, I'd want to pick up the Legendary Shifter version of the Ooze morph.
    Sure thing Great Rimuru!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

I am still interested, not sure as what yet. However the scholar class from spheres seems interesting.

Show

Spoiler: 4d6b3
    Show

(4d6b3)[14] 1
    (4d6b3)[10] 2
    (4d6b3)[18] 3
    (4d6b3)[12] 4
    (4d6b3)[8] 5
    (4d6b3)[9] 6
    (4d6b3)[15] 7

Spoiler: focus and foible
    Show

(1d10+7)[17]
    (1d10+7)[16]
    (1d10+7)[11]
    (1d10+7)[13]

Spoiler: 2d6+6
    Show

(2d6+6)[11]
    (2d6+6)[14]
    (2d6+6)[14]
    (2d6+6)[15]
    (2d6+6)[12]
    (2d6+6)[13]

Custom avatar by Emperor Ing

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Slooowly settling on a Technician//Gunfighter. Lots of clever uses for Alchemy and Traps, using wit and thought. Also reading into Mortal Chemist as an idea as well.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Barbarian in the Playground

Looks like fun.
    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

(4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[8]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[17]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[15]

(1d10+7)[14]
    (1d10+7)[12]
    (1d10+7)[9]
    (1d10+7)[13]

(2d6+6)[11]
    (2d6+6)[12]
    (2d6+6)[14]
    (2d6+6)[16]
    (2d6+6)[9]
    (2d6+6)[15]

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Most of my other characters are casters, so I guess this won't be as heavily invested in it. Let's see what I can come up with... You say monks have to be unchained, but can they take chained archetypes? Going grappling without tetori will not work into the later levels.

If this is wilderness exploration, will it be viable to play a mounted character? Or do you need a medium mount to take advantage of it? What are good options for mounts using spheres? Would a normal animal companion be fine? Or would it be outscaled too quickly due to gestalt? Might build something using unarmed fighting from horseback. Unfortunate it starts on level 6 and not 7 because 7 is when you get a lot of the interesting mounts. Anyone have any suggestions for how to use mounts best with spheres? Unchained monk, brawler, barbarian, bloodrager, skald, sohei, hunter, unsure what composition I actually want.

Can we reflavor divine fighting techniques and the like to fit your dieties? For example for the mounted character I might want to go into the evangelist PrC and pick up the Gorum boons...

Show

(4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[17]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[12]

[roll]10+1d8[/roll]
    [roll]10+1d8[/roll]
    [roll]10+1d8[/roll]
    [roll]10+1d8[/roll]

(2d6+6)[15]
    (2d6+6)[16]
    (2d6+6)[13]
    (2d6+6)[12]
    (2d6+6)[10]
    (2d6+6)[17]
    Last edited by oyzar; 2020-03-20 at 01:28 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Seems the focus foible didn't work...

Spoiler
    Show

(1d8+10)[16]
    (1d8+10)[11]
    (1d8+10)[16]
    (1d8+10)[12]

17 16 16 16 12 12 is about as good stats as you can hope for starting out at this level... Guess I'll happily go with that.

I don't suppose there is any way to get horsemaster saddle so I can make teamwork feats work right of the bat (for example remove the skill bonuses and make it cheaper). If you would allow pre-game crafting I could pick it up too (6K is under the 8K limit). Unfortunately spheres disallow most utility spells, for example shared training, that would allowed me to bridge the gap.

I'm tempted to go with the con based casting option, but I'm not sure what that entails yet, I'll do some research. I see that there is no option for song/music based casting. I'm considering going with a heavy metal guitarist going into skald and using the guitar as an axe... Ok, I guess I'm going with the con based casting, it just sounds too cool to pass up, though now I'm tempted to go for a full caster on the other side of the gestalt instead of a brawler or monk (in addition to bloodrager/skald)...
    Last edited by oyzar; 2020-03-20 at 05:08 AM.