(2d6+6)[13]
    (2d6+6)[10]
    (2d6+6)[12]
    (2d6+6)[11]
    (2d6+6)[12]

2. - Top - End - #92
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Rift in Reality [PF1e Isekai Gestalt w/ Spheres]

I'm interested in taking the Traitorous Taint Alt-racial ability for Tiefling but it mucks about with the Witchmarked Drawback for the Twisted by the Rift Tradition. Below I've reprinted the exact wording. What is your ruling on it? Does prevent me from gaining the casting tradition or does it make me lose something from it? If I'm to lose something, what drawbacks can I take to off-set it?

Spoiler: Traitorous Taint
    Show
    Some tieflings are predatory deception incarnate. Their every move identifies them as descended from the apex ambush predators and coercive dominators of the pit. Gain the Witchmarked general drawback and use your character level in place of caster level for calculating its penalties. This general drawback does not count for gaining boons or calculating additional spell points based on your level in spherecasting classes.

Gain a bonus spell point at first level and an additional bonus spell point for every 3 character levels you possess. The bonus spell points granted by this racial trait may only be used for Destruction, Illusion or Mind sphere effects. You cannot select the Witchmarked general drawback if you ever gain a casting tradition. This replaces fiendish sorcery.

Spoiler: HP Rolls
    Show
    (1d10)[5]
    (1d10)[6]
    (1d10)[7]
    (1d10)[6]
    (1d10)[4]

Spoiler: Potential Rerolls, Going Down as Necessary
    Show
    (1d10)[1]
    (1d10)[6]
    (1d10)[6]
    (1d10)[8]
    (1d10)[4]
    (1d10)[10]
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters:
    Inactive:

Homebrew I'm using:

Awesome Varsuvius Avatar by Elagune

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JerichoPenumbra View Post
    I'm interested in taking the Traitorous Taint Alt-racial ability for Tiefling but it mucks about with the Witchmarked Drawback for the Twisted by the Rift Tradition. Below I've reprinted the exact wording. What is your ruling on it? Does prevent me from gaining the casting tradition or does it make me lose something from it? If I'm to lose something, what drawbacks can I take to off-set it?

Spoiler: Traitorous Taint
    Show
    Some tieflings are predatory deception incarnate. Their every move identifies them as descended from the apex ambush predators and coercive dominators of the pit. Gain the Witchmarked general drawback and use your character level in place of caster level for calculating its penalties. This general drawback does not count for gaining boons or calculating additional spell points based on your level in spherecasting classes.

Gain a bonus spell point at first level and an additional bonus spell point for every 3 character levels you possess. The bonus spell points granted by this racial trait may only be used for Destruction, Illusion or Mind sphere effects. You cannot select the Witchmarked general drawback if you ever gain a casting tradition. This replaces fiendish sorcery.

Spoiler: HP Rolls
    Show
    [roll0]
    [roll1]
    [roll2]
    [roll3]
    [roll4]

Spoiler: Potential Rerolls, Going Down as Necessary
    Show
    [roll5]
    [roll6]
    [roll7]
    [roll8]
    [roll9]
    [roll10]
    I'll allow you to stack them.
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

-Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

4. - Top - End - #94
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Am I reading this right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Champion Bard
    Greater Training: The champion bard may choose to lose bardic knowledge to instead gain a combat or magic talent at every class level. He may not take this option if possessing an archetype that would alter or replace bardic knowledge.
    I swear its clearly saying I get an extra talent at every level.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfire014 View Post
    Am I reading this right?

I swear its clearly saying I get an extra talent at every level.
    It isn't extra, it replaces the 3/4 progression for full progression, so you don't get the "3 talents every 4 levels". You get 1 talent every level instead.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hannahbbug3 View Post
    I'll allow you to stack them.
    Sweet! Thank you! Next question, may I pay to retrain talent during character creation assuming the price of a talent is equivalent to a feat? There's a talent from my martial tradition (Heavy Armsman) that I'm not fond of and would prefer a different talent from the Equipment sphere.

For the Innate Curse Drawback I was thinking of the Aboleth Corruption since the penalty to mind-affecting effects suits the character's concept I had in mind. I'm also working with the assumption that the save penalty would affect the saves prompted by the Madness Mantra Drawback.
    Last edited by JerichoPenumbra; 2020-03-21 at 12:18 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters:
    Inactive:

Homebrew I'm using:

Awesome Varsuvius Avatar by Elagune

7. - Top - End - #97
    Bugbear in the Playground

As I asked in the previous thread:
    Would you allow the Synthesist archetype for Summoner to stack with the Spherecasting archetype?

8. - Top - End - #98

MindFlayer

Presenting Bannon Nykvist, who's become one who breaks beasts. A UBarb/Fighter // Cryptic, he's as skillful and intelligent as he was in life if not moreso, with the addition of the body of a godlike bullyboy and some weird mental powers that mostly let him hit even harder.

As it is not a DSP archetype, I would like to request the Circuitbreaker archetype for Cryptic. Mostly for the Psi-core and the trapping abilities, but if Tech crafting can be a thing, that's cool too.

Spoiler: Appearance
    Show
    Before:

After:

Spoiler: Personality
    Show
    Bannon was pleasant, sociable, and easygoing, a focused student and a hard worker. He knew what he wanted to do with his life from a young age, and things mostly fell into place as he wanted them to. But through most of his lifetime, that certainty and ease made him feel like a passenger in his own existence, simply going with the motions that had been laid down before him, his path on tram lines. As a consequence, behind his easy manner is a deep depression that's made it impossible for him to truly connect with anyone, despite his outgoing behavior and large social circle. His therapist called it something like impostor syndrome; Bannon isn't sure about that. All he knows is that no matter how successful he is, he feels empty inside.

In person, he's friendly and encouraging, with a predilection for puns and double entendres, but his laughter always seems slightly forced, which becomes grating on many people the more time they spend in his presence. He tries to be a helpful teacher and friend, but has a difficult time explaining things in such a way that they make sense to others, and usually prefers to just get things done himself. He works best with someone else calling the shots, so he can focus on doing what he's good at.

Spoiler: History
    Show
    From Kenosha, Wisconsin, Bannon Nykvist was an honor roll student all his life, getting into MIT with a decent scholarship to study materials engineering. He moved out to San Diego right out of school to apprentice at a metallurgical manufacturing company, but after a few years joined an aerospace startup with some of his friends from school and moved with them to Atlanta, Georgia, where he is simultaneously pursuing his masters and advising the satellite design department. He lives alone in a two-bedroom apartment with his black Irish setter, Austin, though he spends far too much time out at bars. After a near-burnout where his friends forced him to go see a therapist, Bannon was taking a brief cruise vacation and trying to figure out how to relax without drinking when the fog rolled in.

Spoiler: HP rolls
    Show
    1st - d12 = 12
    2nd - (1d10)[8]
    3rd - (1d10)[9]
    4th - (1d12)[2]
    5th - (1d12)[12]
    6th - (1d12)[5]

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Hitto pointso: (1d10)[2](1d10)[5](1d10)[10](1d10)[9](1d10)[9]

Rerolls as needed: (1d10)[3](1d10)[1](1d10)[5](1d10)[6](1d10)[2]

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Genth View Post
    I can't get the idea of a revolver-toting, gunmaking, bomb throwing goblin guy out of my head - but d'you think this is too close to AvatarVecna and TheThird's concepts?
    Speaking personally, I'm looking at more of a riflemaster riding a giant wolf - sorta "ranger, by way of gunslinger+spheres" if that makes sense.

EDIT:

If you have a mount, I will make sure you have opportunities to use it. Check out the Beastmastery sphere for getting a mount or animal companion.
    I think what they were concerned about is less the utility of possessing a mount and more how power creep makes sinking resources into animal companions a liability in gestalt. As an example, in normal play an animal companion's HD will start lagging behind their master's class level, and their BAB will lag behind their HD. This can result in BAB falling drastically behind. In normal play this isn't a huge problem because everybody that gets an animal companion also gets spellcasting to buff them into remaining a credible threat. But in SoM, talents aren't buffing animal companions into credible threats (at least, not as efficiently as vancian casting does), but they can still get by well enough? I mean there's an additional issue that handle animal is expensive in the action economy for everybody who isn't a druid or ranger for no discernible reason, but that's a separate issue.

Adding in gestalt makes the problem worse, because while everybody's generally about as tough as normal (same number of HD even if they're maybe a step bigger, saves max out at the same level as before), you're a lot more likely to be combining class features that enhance offense together from both sides, and this results in gestalt characters being kinda glass cannon ish, and require bigger threats to engage them. This makes an already difficult time for animal companions even worse than it already was. I'm looking into how viable SoM can make mounts, but it's probably going to be rough.
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2020-03-21 at 07:45 AM.

Currently Recruiting: Beware Of Bites!

11. - Top - End - #101

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post

I think what they were concerned about is less the utility of possessing a mount and more how power creep makes sinking resources into animal companions a liability in gestalt. As an example, in normal play an animal companion's HD will start lagging behind their master's class level, and their BAB will lag behind their HD. This can result in BAB falling drastically behind. In normal play this isn't a huge problem because everybody that gets an animal companion also gets spellcasting to buff them into remaining a credible threat. But in SoM, talents aren't buffing animal companions into credible threats (at least, not as efficiently as vancian casting does), but they can still get by well enough? I mean there's an additional issue that handle animal is expensive in the action economy for everybody who isn't a druid or ranger for no discernible reason, but that's a separate issue.

Adding in gestalt makes the problem worse, because while everybody's generally about as tough as normal (same number of HD even if they're maybe a step bigger, saves max out at the same level as before), you're a lot more likely to be combining class features that enhance offense together from both sides, and this results in gestalt characters being kinda glass cannon ish, and require bigger threats to engage them. This makes an already difficult time for animal companions even worse than it already was. I'm looking into how viable SoM can make mounts, but it's probably going to be rough.
    Well, it depends on what you want exactly. Are you looking to have your Mount/Companion do most of the fighting while you take potshots with your gun. Or are your needing a meatshield to keep enemies off your back as you blast them to pieces with your rifle?
    If the former, I would recommend a Martial side focused in Beastmastery, both Tame and Ride packages, because that will allow you a mount with equal HD as your ranks in Handle Animal, which would be 6 in this case. And u would recommend a Magic side focused on Alteration, which will allow you to buff your animal buddy by physically changing them(as well as yourself and others)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Collins
    Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be if we met at midnight in the hanging tree

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Basic rolling
    Show
    (4d6b3)[17]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[17]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[13]

Spoiler: Heroic Set
    Show
    (2d6+6)[10]
    (2d6+6)[16]
    (2d6+6)[12]
    (2d6+6)[13]
    (2d6+6)[11]
    (2d6+6)[9]

I have an idea but let's see first if I have to resort to point buy...
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChaoticHarmony View Post
    Well, it depends on what you want exactly. Are you looking to have your Mount/Companion do most of the fighting while you take potshots with your gun. Or are your needing a meatshield to keep enemies off your back as you blast them to pieces with your rifle?
    If the former, I would recommend a Martial side focused in Beastmastery, both Tame and Ride packages, because that will allow you a mount with equal HD as your ranks in Handle Animal, which would be 6 in this case. And u would recommend a Magic side focused on Alteration, which will allow you to buff your animal buddy by physically changing them(as well as yourself and others)
    I think I've settled on a nice middle-ground, where the AC is a decent meatshield but is also focusing the Athletics/Warleader sphere. Skirt around the edges of the combat, avoid just enough fire to not die, tough enough to tank what does come her way instead of mine, keeps me mobile, and buffs me/anybody near me. About anything that focuses on the AC's attack routine directly is gonna be more resource-intensive and probably require magic talents (which I'd rather not take just cuz it doesn't fit what I'm going for too well). It doesn't help that basically any method of overcoming this problem involves stacking two "get a friend" mechanics together which is either extremely unbalanced on the high end or difficult to tell how balanced it is, so best to avoid that approach I think.

EDIT: ...actually this might make it simpler: do animal companions get Automatic Bonus Progression too?
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2020-03-21 at 08:57 AM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

@JerichoPenumbra - Yes, you may pay the cost for retraining during character creation. Yes, the save penalty affects Madness Mantra.

@ezekielraiden - Yes, they can stack.

@Da'Shain - You may use Circuitbreaker.

@AvatarVecna - No, Animal Companions do not get ABP.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Hit Points: (5d10)[1][1][4][3][1](10)

EDIT: Boy I sure am glad rerolls are a thing on HP a little bit geez.
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2020-03-21 at 09:28 AM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Hit Points: (3d10)[8][5][2](15)

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Getting rid of the last 2 hopefully...

(1d10)[6]

18. - Top - End - #108

So I'm still putting everything down on the sheet, but here's what I have so far:
    Frank Giardino, former potbellied engineer turned potbellied goblin that wants to get back to his wife and kids. Technician//Armorist that focuses on improving gear.

Question about the cell phones: Do they need to be charged still?

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

Going with a Conscript Ninja

(1d10+3)[11]
    (1d10+3)[7]
    (1d10+3)[11]
    (1d10+3)[4]
    (1d10+3)[11]
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SwordChucks View Post
    Question about the cell phones: Do they need to be charged still?
    I wasn't planning on it, but if someone has a class feature that could work for charging phones, I might change my mind.

21. - Top - End - #111

MindFlayer

@Da'Shain - You may use Circuitbreaker.
    Thanks!

Rerolling the 2 in my HP rolls - (1d12)[10]

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Not sure it could work, since realistically it would just fry them. But my character can create electricity at will.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ettin in the Playground

...Uh, wow. Only need to reroll one of those: (1d10+3)[6]

24. - Top - End - #114

MindFlayer

I wasn't planning on it, but if someone has a class feature that could work for charging phones, I might change my mind.
    Well, I hesitate to mention it as it takes PP, but with the Circuitbreaker's Psi-Core Upgrade, Bannon's Psicrystal can convert 5 PP into one technological charge.

He can also craft new phones, if we ever find some sort of tech crafting lab.

25. - Top - End - #115

The Electrical Insight might work to help connect the phones to a power source without them exploding.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Or we could just have solar powered chargers.

27. - Top - End - #117

MindFlayer

@hannahbbug3 - Just to be clear, DSP Psionics is in as written, right? We don't have to replace manifesting with some sort of Spherecasting? Was re-reading the OP and realized I wasn't sure.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Da'Shain View Post
    @hannahbbug3 - Just to be clear, DSP Psionics is in as written, right? We don't have to replace manifesting with some sort of Spherecasting? Was re-reading the OP and realized I wasn't sure.
    That is correct.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2154121 Working sheet for the mysterious "Pixel" who is declining to bring up she was a janitor on the ship and not really out on vacation.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Currently completely remaking my character, because Augmented Blade Soulknife is incompatible with Epoch-Walker.

Looking into Martial Armorist to replace it... and a whole lot of other things. Oh the joys of learning a new subsystem.