Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

d20 The Dark Eye RPG - Free "Play At Home" for now including Core Rules (normally $20!)

https://www.ulisses-us.com/stay-home...-the-dark-eye/

Highly recommend checking it out; and if not now, at least later, donating something for it, if you grab it for free.
    Need a character background written up? I'd be happy to write one up for you! Now with over 150 character backgrounds written! How can you help me? Not required, but appreciated, if you're so inclined! <3

Check out my 5e Module The Secret of Havenfall Manor over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: The Dark Eye RPG - Free "Play At Home" for now including Core Rules (normally $20

Eh. Dark Eye always had a decent to good setting, depending on writers, but pretty horrendous rules.
    "Après la vie - le mort, après le mort, la vie de noveau.
    Après le monde - le gris; après le gris - le monde de nouveau.
    "

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Dark Eye RPG - Free "Play At Home" for now including Core Rules (normally $20

They are still.....less than stellar, but much less "Oh my I need 5-7 Books to build a base Cleric" than Edition 4.1 (mind, unlike D&D with its many additional books the needed Rules were in that many^^).

If you want to try something different, give it a go.

And yes, the only reason someone plays The Dark Eye after the first time is the Setting/some of the better Adventures. Trust me, I started with 3rd Edition back in the day. ^^
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I'm the opposite here. I find the rules intriguing, if intimidatingly crunchy, but the setting is too generic for me to invest into.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gulaghar and Purple Eagle.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Then you havent seen enough of it.

It seems very generic on the global scale, but is very nongeneric in Details (try some earlier adventures, say from 3rd edition, for that).

Also, if you think 5th ed is overtly crunchy, look at 4th. ^^
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Considering that I don't speak German, looking at older material would be fairly complicated. The setting might be less generic in detail for all I know, but it has done little to persuade me to take a deeper look so far. Maybe if I ignored everything to do with elves...
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gulaghar and Purple Eagle.

7. - Top - End - #7

Interesting, I'd argue that the elves are among the less "generic" fantasy tropes of TDE. Not saying they're amazingly original, but they whole "beings born out of light and dream" premise is definitely a bit different from your standard D&D-ish elves in my opinion.

And yeah, the one thing the setting has going for it (and why I love it more than most, if not all other RPG settings) is the ridiculous amount of detail that I would argue no other RPG setting comes close to (in sheer amount of content, I guess something like Star Wars would be ahead, but on the one hand that's not primarily an RPG setting and on the other hand since it covers a whole galaxy, no matter how much content it has, it can never be as detailed as TDE gets covering mostly one continent)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Delta View Post
    Interesting, I'd argue that the elves are among the less "generic" fantasy tropes of TDE. Not saying they're amazingly original, but they whole "beings born out of light and dream" premise is definitely a bit different from your standard D&D-ish elves in my opinion.
    Elves follow the broad strokes but differ in the details, l like a lot of the setting. So they're long lived magical humanoids slightly taller and thinner than humans, and even the 'born from dreams and light' bit isn't too different from 'escapees from Faerie' that a lot of games use. Even the musical parts aren't that unusual, although it's got one of the two clearest details that make them differ from other elves (the soul instruments).

Probably their most unique aspects are hope aging and reproduction works. Essentially elves generating dual backed beasts with other elves had perfect contraception if they want it, although it's much more hit and miss with humans, and they each have a purpose in their life which, when completed, will cause them to stop being immortal and die in old age in a matter of weeks.

And yeah, the one thing the setting has going for it (and why I love it more than most, if not all other RPG settings) is the ridiculous amount of detail that I would argue no other RPG setting comes close to (in sheer amount of content, I guess something like Star Wars would be ahead, but on the one hand that's not primarily an RPG setting and on the other hand since it covers a whole galaxy, no matter how much content it has, it can never be as detailed as TDE gets covering mostly one continent)
    I think the only setting I've seen with nearly as much detail is Doctor Who, and that's because unlike TDE, Star Wars, or Star Trek, absolutely nothing is noncanon in Doctor Who (you don't even have the old SWEU 'different levels of canon, the closest they've got is 'history can be reset occasionally, and we'll do it if we have to, but that doesn't make old stories noncanon).

In terms of RPG settings, the only real critiques I can find of TDE are 'everybody's crammed into a small continent' and 'you have to buy old books to get all the fluff', neither of which is bad. The first I believe it's intentional to make parties from all over the continent more justifiable*, and the latter is only a problem if you want to run 100% canon games, the English releases give you enough fluff to play the game even if most of it is a little generic.

I think my only problem is that the game being translated for an American market means that we might not get more NSFW books translated. The corebook is already lightly censored to remove some bits that would likely be just fine in the UK (seeing as they appear in PG films).

* Say a Thorwellian Sailor, a Garethian Knight, a Novadi Mage, a Midshtandi Witch, and a Nostrian Thief.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Agreed.

If you want to know if you enjoy TDE/DSA, find a German with good to excellent English that has a few of the old Adventures, and play.
    Its in the Details, there it truly shines (and the rules truly dont work^^).

Trust me, youll know after 2 at the latest. ^^

Back then, Iw as caught after the second as well (granted, the first was one of the few Dungeon adventures, so pretty bland).

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I actually started my role-playing career over 30 years ago with 1st edition.
    Back then most of the map was blank and you could fill it by playing the modules.
    I especially remember the "Orkland Trilogy".

Good times.

I think, that's what makes this so special, the setting lives and if you want to, your characters can be a part of this.
    It's a bit like shadowrun at this, as there is development in politics and such.

4th edition was crunchy as can be, but to me it's still the sweet spot.
    I played it with people from age 10 to 50+ though, and it went well.

The possibilities in character creation where great, there were rules for knights and beggars, for studied mages as well as magic dabblers.
    And somehow it worked all well together.

Compared to DnD it is a low-magic setting, forget about the Christmas tree, skill is much more important than magic items.
    (Mages tend to be really strong at later levels none the less)

I'm not that firm with 5th edition, so I can say how it works there though.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

I picked up the 5th edition core book cheap in the used rack at the FLGS.

Still not sure what to think of it. There's a lot about the species and cultures, but it's hard to put together because there's little to no broader history or details about the world itself.

The system is... a bit opaque.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

12. - Top - End - #12

Yeah the core book really only covers the absolute minimum of fluff, if you want to know more about the setting, you'll need the Aventuria Almanac as well (and even that covers only a very rough outline, I've go several shelves full of nothing but world books covering the different regions of Aventuria right next to my PC...)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Indee, the fact that its extremely detailed is both its best and worst side.
    After all, you need a LOT of books (or a DM who ahs been DMing it for at least 10 years) to get the full Aventuria experience.

14. - Top - End - #14

I've been GMing TDE for close to 20 years and when I stand next to some of the guys who were at the big TDE convention last month I felt like "You know nothing, Jon Snow" so yeah, if you want something to really dig your teeth in, this is it.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

There is a Wiki (Wiki Aventurica)
    The english one seems to be pretty barebones atm though...

I think your best bet, if you don't have someone who knows the setting, is to either use some pre written modules, they tend to explain a lot of a part the setting or to just pick a small part of the setting, that is a bit out of the way and just do your thing there.