Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Default Question: Why would you ever be a Defiler?

I've been looking at the Dark Sun rules for AD&D, and it seems to me like being a Preserver is far easier than being a Defiler. You don't have to mess about with terrain types, you don't have to worry about getting less spells on your average day, and the Avangion progression neither kills you nor takes away your control of your character, unlike the Dragon progression. Not to mention that you have a much better chance of maintaining your ability to cast spells in the long run, since you don't kill the patch of land you prepare your spells in.

While Preservers do only have the base spell progression and gain and prepare spell levels slower than Defilers, given the nature of Dark Sun, there should be little incentive to reach spell slot levels for which finding spells is extremely difficult.

It just seems to me like you would have to be actively malicious towards your fellow players' experiences to become a Defiler. Unless you really want to be a dragon for some reason, and even then you have to wait *fifty levels* and dual-class into psionicist to get there.

Is there something I'm missing about being a Defiler that would make it more worthwhile than being a Preserver in some cases? Or is it simply a case of poor rules that Dungeon Masters usually homebrew or ignore entirely?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Question: Why would you ever be a Defiler?

Really, being a Defiler is about being selfish about your use of magic. You want your magic NOW, and you don't care about the long-term implications of your actions.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Two Tales of Tellene, available from DriveThruFiction
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Avatar is from local user Mehangel
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Question: Why would you ever be a Defiler?

Quote Originally Posted by Uvexar View Post
    I've been looking at the Dark Sun rules for AD&D, and it seems to me like being a Preserver is far easier than being a Defiler. You don't have to mess about with terrain types, you don't have to worry about getting less spells on your average day, and the Avangion progression neither kills you nor takes away your control of your character, unlike the Dragon progression. Not to mention that you have a much better chance of maintaining your ability to cast spells in the long run, since you don't kill the patch of land you prepare your spells in.

While Preservers do only have the base spell progression and gain and prepare spell levels slower than Defilers, given the nature of Dark Sun, there should be little incentive to reach spell slot levels for which finding spells is extremely difficult.

It just seems to me like you would have to be actively malicious towards your fellow players' experiences to become a Defiler. Unless you really want to be a dragon for some reason, and even then you have to wait *fifty levels* and dual-class into psionicist to get there.

Is there something I'm missing about being a Defiler that would make it more worthwhile than being a Preserver in some cases? Or is it simply a case of poor rules that Dungeon Masters usually homebrew or ignore entirely?
    Defilers are mostly intended to be villains, not PCs.

From an NPC perspective, there are plenty of reasons. Whenever they cast a spell, anyone nearby takes a -1 penalty to their next initiative check. Which is great when you're surrounded by enemies. Plus, they can one-shot any and all plant-based monsters. There are always those who are willing to attach themselves to someone with power, so evil minions are not that hard to come by, as long as you take moderate care of them.

I'm not sure why you think early access to more and higher level spells isn't a huge benefit. If you can't find high-level spells, research them. Plus, how many DMs have you played under that deny you new spells when you hit a new level? In-world, the high-level spells are out there, you just need to seek out and explore old ruins. Or sneak into the Sorcerer King's library....

As for the animal levels of dragon, well, those are far enough away not to be a concern. Heck, by the time you reach them, you're sure to have figured out a way to avoid loosing your mind, right? Of course you are. People are full of hubris. Plus, a high level dragon running amok in the 'countryside' is a pretty awesome plot hook.

From a PC perspective, yeah, they suck. It's hard to conceal that you're a defiler, and the whole world hates you for it.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season