Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Waterdeep: City of Splendors [Pathfinder 1E]

4th Kythorn, 1492 DR

The Forgotten Realms has known centuries of chaos and upheaval. Gods have fallen, risen, fallen again. Magic has been broken, taken, returned, ripped, turned into shadows, and fixed. Worlds have literally collided.

Itís been rough.

Waterdeep is a beacon of stability and familiarity in a changing world. Not because it has been spared the sort of chaos and disaster that has wracked the rest of Faerun. In recent years Lords have been murdered and unmasked, an Open Lord was cast out in favor of the current one, and the landscape of the city itself has been marked by the ravages and remainders of the Walking Statues themselves! It is simply that Waterdhavians have seen it all, or at least, act like they have

Perhaps this is why the existence of the Yawning Portal isnít commented on more often. The fact that there exists in the city a tavern with a hundred foot deep well that connects directly to the largest dungeon (and mass grave) in the world is normal in a city of such wonders.

There are many reasons people come to the Yawning Portal. Maybe you were looking for mercenary work, or simply a pitcher of ale and a friendly face. Maybe you came to hear stories of cranky old adventurers, telling tales about beholders and dragon hoards. For whatever reason you find yourself in the Yawning Portal on this fateful evening in early summer taking a simple rescue job which will (unbeknownst to you!) lead you onto the trail of a fortune so vast that itís the stuff dreams are made of.

--

Iím a big fan of city-based campaigns, but I donít want to run any of the city-based official APs for Pathfinder. Solution? Iíve adapted Waterdeep: Dragon Heist to Pathfinder as an entrance to the city as a setting. Where things go from there depends a lot on player choice; thereís a bunch of material from both the current and prior D&D settings to draw from. Any questions about character creation or setting just ask, I'll be glad to answer.

Characters should be complete by the end of April 9th, 2020.

Spoiler: BIG 16
    Show

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

Pathfinder, 1st Edition.

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

The City of Waterdeep in the Forgotten Realms, in 1492 DR. The Ďcurrentí 5th Edition of D&D setting.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

4-6

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

GitP. Roll20 will be used for maps and other media.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

Level 3.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

Standard Wealth by Level; 3,000 GP.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

Paizo First Party classes only.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

Paizo First Party races only. Weird races are okay, but really weird ones (Samsaran, Grippli, etc.) will have at least one eye roll in their direction.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

25 Point Buy. Full hit points per die.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

In my campaigns, standard mortals donít have alignment! Celestials and demons and the like, do. This is one of the things that makes Clerics and Paladins unique; possessing an aligned Aura. This has a lot of cascading effects, most of which work out in players favor, e.g. Paladins donít Smite Evil anymore, they just Smite.

Despite not having an alignment, PCs should be heroic.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

Regular multiclassing and VMC are allowed.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

We'll use the forum dice roller.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

VMC and Background Skills are in use.

Unchained and regular class variations are allowed, except for the Summoner, which is Unchained only.

Two traits. Iíll be coming up with a unique third trait for each PC based on your character background if you get accepted.

With no alignment, there are a wide range of self-evident tweaks to abilities and spells that will be addressed on a case by case basis.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

Backgrounds are required. Why is your PC an adventurer? Why are they in Waterdeep, and specifically, the Yawning Portal? Players should pick one NPC from the Yawning Portal Friendly Faces appendix below, and work them into their background as a friendly acquaintance.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

There will be a little bit of everything.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

Paizo First Party, and Forgotten Realms 3/3.5 material only.

Spoiler: Friendly Faces of the Yawning Portal
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Waterdeep: City of Splendors [Pathfinder 1E]

I might be interested. Not sure what I'd want to play, though.

Edit: Probably a Summoner.
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2020-03-20 at 09:21 PM.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Water deep is my favorite city! Iíll work something up.
    ďIt's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.Ē
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4

I believe I have completed Sarissa. Mechanics, at least-backstory incoming.

Edit: I completely missed having to use the Unchained Summoner.

Consarn it!
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2020-03-20 at 10:27 PM.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Alright. You have me interested. Here's Cecily, cavalier/bard. And yes, I fully intend to take her into battle herald territory if you're okay with that prestige class.

Equipment and background will follow later.
    Characters in play:

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm definitely interested. I'm at work at the moment but when I get home I can hammer something out. Thinking spiritualist or maybe investigator

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

I was alternating between a Cartomancer Witch and a Tiefling Paladin but I've sort of realised that the Cartomancer Witch would basically just be an excuse to write fancy stuff without actually being useful for a bunch of levels

I'll have the sheet up soon!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Posting interest, I'll have to start brainstorming on a character

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Posting interest! Not sure what yet though!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

I've decided on an arcane caster. Sorc or Wizard, not wholly sure yet. But something pretty basic.
    ďIt's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.Ē

Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Will build a fighter archer VMC magus.

12. - Top - End - #12

Posting interest. I don't have it all fleshed out yet, but I'm thinking of a Half-Drow (Considering the relationship Eilistraee has with Waterdeep), Dual-Wielding Slayer who's filling the boots of another adventurer and sticking around the Yawning Portal to gain experience, to earn money to live after her sponsor died, and because she has a soft spot for Bonnie.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Roger Makarrow is complete, though I might tweak it here and there e.g. by choosing an archetype.
    Last edited by u-b; 2020-03-22 at 08:34 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

How would an Enchanter fare in your planned adventures?

Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm interested but I have a quick question, we are in Faerun but running pathfinder, which gods are you planning to use? I was thinking of a divine character but I cant make much progress there if I dont know the gods.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

Glad to see the interest!

To answer questions:

Quote Originally Posted by Kvard51
    How would an Enchanter fare in your planned adventures?
    If by Enchanter you mean a Wizard that has Enchantment as their arcane school, great! Waterdeep has a guild for wizards and the Forgotten Realms in general has a lot of fun and exciting things for spellcasters. If you mean the specific character class Enchanter, not so well, because I'm pretty sure it's third party.

Quote Originally Posted by Nishai View Post
    I'm interested but I have a quick question, we are in Faerun but running pathfinder, which gods are you planning to use? I was thinking of a divine character but I cant make much progress there if I dont know the gods.
    Excellent question! We are very much using the Forgotten Realms gods. Gods and their domains are addressed in the Faiths & Pantheons book for Forgotten Realms; this was written for the 3.X era of the Forgotten Realms, so while it is pretty accurate, there are things that aren't precisely true anymore. Use it (or the Forgotten Realms wiki) as a starting, and let me know if you have any specific questions of how to translate from the 3.X to Pathfinder.

The Initiate feats listed on pages 80-82 of the Player's Guide to Faerun are also handy things to be aware of for a divine character.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'd like to play a Sune Paladin that goes into Life Oracle starting at 4. I'll write him him up soon, but I wanted to discuss an appropriate Oracle curse beforehand. I am sure Sune would not curse someone with the ugly (wasting) or being unable to see themselves (clouded vision). Covetous seems appropriate to have a crunch reason for all the bling, if that is okay for you.

He is physically sick and ill if he can't wear the most expensive and fancy clothes. I'll promise I will play him as heroic, and marry the hedonism of Sune with common sense.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    I'd like to play a Sune Paladin that goes into Life Oracle starting at 4. I'll write him him up soon, but I wanted to discuss an appropriate Oracle curse beforehand. I am sure Sune would not curse someone with the ugly (wasting) or being unable to see themselves (clouded vision). Covetous seems appropriate to have a crunch reason for all the bling, if that is okay for you.

He is physically sick and ill if he can't wear the most expensive and fancy clothes. I'll promise I will play him as heroic, and marry the hedonism of Sune with common sense.
    That's basically a perfect curse for someone associated with Sune.

Though, basically any curse could be made to work. Sune could certainly curse someone with, say, ugliness to teach them of the value of beauty, for instance. Though, that probably won't be something that is appropriate for a Paladin as it's unlikely that they'll do anything so terrible as to warrant it.
    Last edited by ElmalAlsoRises; 2020-03-22 at 05:19 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm thinking about a deinonychus Shifter. It looks like dinosaurs primarily come from Chult, so I guess a Jungle Girl type from there?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rokku View Post
    I'm thinking about a deinonychus Shifter. It looks like dinosaurs primarily come from Chult, so I guess a Jungle Girl type from there?
    That would make a lot of sense. Be aware that a lot has happened to Chult in the last two hundred years or so, including being blown up and then un-blown up, to summarize it.

21. - Top - End - #21

I think I'd be interested in playing this as a Tengu Inquisitor.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ElmalAlsoRises View Post
    That would make a lot of sense. Be aware that a lot has happened to Chult in the last two hundred years or so, including being blown up and then un-blown up, to summarize it.
    Sounds like fun!

23. - Top - End - #23

Here's a link to Phaere Moonbrook, Half-Elf Slayer. She stabs things with both hands, has a few handy skills, and a flanking buddy. Please let me know if anything needs fixing.

Background is in Other Notes, but I'll include it here for ease of reading.

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    Phaere grew up in North Ward, the daughter of a Half-Drow Cleric of Eilistraee, Imdar, who was involved with the establishment of a shrine to Eilistraee in Sea Ward, and an elven wizard by the name of Taenya, a tutor in the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors. Her youth was as normal as it could be for a Half-Drow on the surface, with Waterdeep's cosmopolitan citizens treating her like any other child. She would play in the streets, learn her words from Taenya, and by night would pester her father about his scars, about why he had them, why he worshiped "that naked lady". He told her that most worshipers of Eilistraee had suffered before turning to her embrace, had to have been victim to prejudice, to the Underdark, to the kind of scars he'd earned, before they could appreciate the freedom and comfort she offered, and that his little Phaere was fortunate enough to not need it.

When she was old enough, Phaere joined her mother in the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors - just an apprentice, helping out with the basics, and it was...fine. Take this spell here, copy that text there. What she looked forward to was when work ended and she could visit some of the merchants in the Caravan Court, or (attempt to) court some fair maidens on the Drays. When work got interesting was when adventurers would visit, to buy scrolls, components, get gear identified... They had interesting stories, and it was in them that she found love: A wicked woman by the name of Nerada Kroft, with fiery orange hair, pale skin, and the kind of skill with swords that would make a Bladesinger blush. She was a mercenary, an adventurer, a devotee of the Red Knight with all the cunning and conviction to make the most of her violent tendencies.

Her parents disapproved somewhat, but didn't forbid her anything; she was still working with the Watchful Order, after all. Nerada and Phaere's mutual infatuation grew into a relationship, into living together, and Nerada would bring back her spoils to share them with her lover, tell tales of her adventures, even teach her a few tricks of the killing trade - which Phaere only agreed to on the condition that Nerada work on her more...ruthless tactics. It was never pleasant to hear about just how she broke a giant's kneecaps, or threatened to leave a minor noble to the gnolls unless he doubled their fee. Phaere was making progress, Nerada was becoming softer, and then she invited Phaere on a little adventure - more of a romantic trip to Dessarin Valley.

They didn't make it far before they were confronted. A party of adventurers, the Pureblades, lead by a Drow-hating Ranger by the name of Ferlac Craggs, mounted on a red Drake with all of his party with him. Phaere didn't know them, Nerada didn't seem to, but Ferlac had an objection - to the Drow wandering freely, and his objection fell on deaf ears as Nerada told him where he could shove his opinion. Fighting followed. Nerada fought to her last breath as Phaere cowered. Every one of them fell...save for the Drake, Kroz, who managed to land one last blow on Nerada before fleeing to lick its wounds. Nerada was dead, and it was Phaere's fault, and she would have gladly died in that moment were it not for a vision that came to her as she wept herself to sleep in the carnage.

It was Eilistraee, Lady Silverhair, who came to her when she needed it most. The words the goddess shared with her go through her mind every time she sleeps, and she woke with resolve: She would not be broken by this, she would not dismiss the privilege she had been living with, and she would not forget what Nerada sacrificed for her. She returned to Waterdeep, too late to Raise Nerada, and decided then to take up Nerada's life as an adventurer. She could not live in Nerada's home any longer, because they were not married and she had no right to it, but she managed to take a few pieces of Nerada's old gear to bolster herself. She would not live with her parents again; she'd earn her own way, using Nerada's talents, and make her proud of the adventurer she'd become.

It has been a hard year since making that decision. Phaere can barely afford to pay for lodgings with her adventuring work, because Waterdeep is so rife with adventurers. She has taken to praying with the worshipers at her father's Shrine, learning to dance like Eilistraee's other followers, to picking up fighting tips and sparring with adventurers at the various inns and taverns. She sometimes takes jobs with the Order of Magists when very desperate, because she will never sell Nerada's gear, and has used her training there to summon a familiar for company and versatility in the adventuring market. Most recently, she has taken to visiting the Yawning Portal. She says it's because the food is good, but mostly it's because Bonnie reminds her of Nerada in her softer moments, with her red hair, her pale skin, how she's always trying to sell her services (In Bonnie's case, the premier ale). Some days. when they're chatting, she thinks of courting the barmaid, but her nerves or the lingering hurt of losing Nerada always gets in the way....

24. - Top - End - #24

NecromancerGuy

Gonna go ahead and express some interest! Probably as a Dhampire Shifter of some kind...

25. - Top - End - #25

Always looking for ways to further beauty in this world, removing blemishes and making the world more liveable, the Order of the Ruby Rose guards those who seek to improve it. Felix Autumnsun is currently looking to meet a particularly beautiful individual and take her to his next Feast of Love, a barmaiden known as Lily Evergreen.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I have always admired the Forgotten Realms campaign setting but never gotten to play in it (except for the old Baldur's Gate video games). Please consider me interested! I will work on a PC later and have something up in the next couple of days!

27. - Top - End - #27

I'm gonna post tentative interest, just to get my metaphorical hat in the ring. Honestly, with all the shenanigans going on, I'm not sure I'll be able to muster up the willpower and intellectual juices to put together something that satisfies. Still, I'll be lurking, at least, for now- and by April 9 I might have had lots of time at home to think. #makinglemonade

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    I'm gonna post tentative interest, just to get my metaphorical hat in the ring. Honestly, with all the shenanigans going on, I'm not sure I'll be able to muster up the willpower and intellectual juices to put together something that satisfies. Still, I'll be lurking, at least, for now- and by April 9 I might have had lots of time at home to think. #makinglemonade
    Basically this! I have some ideas brewing, but I would need to refamiliarize myself with Waterdeep as a setting before committing to a concept that I like. I do also love city campaigns though, and Dragon Heist seems like fun.

Expect something with a dungeon and a city bent to it, perhaps with a social or skill monkey base. Iím thinking either Bard or Investigator right now, although that may change going forward.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2020-03-23 at 01:07 PM.
    Spoiler: My Profile
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.
    Currently Active Games:
    - Skull & Shackles (DM)
    - Total War: Rise of Kingdoms (Ironfang Republic)

"The philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it."

29. - Top - End - #29

ElfRangerGuy

I've created a cleric of Gond. Character sheet of Sevestra can be found here.

Long term plan is to go to Techsmith.

EDIT: question. In Forgotten Realms you can get a regional item at lvl1. I've kept that in for now, but if you don't want that, please let me know and I'll take it out.
    Last edited by farothel; 2020-03-23 at 04:24 PM.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Okay, so here's Cecily Schild. Mechanically the character should be finished, background is still under construction.

I've a few questions though. For one, how do you feel about her heading into the battle herald prestige class in the future?
    Question number two: could I grab the overprotective drawback for her? I'm not taking a trait in return, but it's a very fitting drawback for this character to have as she saw a good friend of hers die and she could've prevented it. Or at least she feels like she could have.
    Characters in play: