New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Wizard's Rumspringa [IC]

Every student in the City of Lights, knows that the prime material plane of Daesic is flat, sandwiched between the Plane of Fire below and the Plane of Air above. Every day, the sun rises from the great volcano of Sunhome in the Eastern Ocean, and every night it sinks into the Pit of Fire beyond the edge of the world, west of the great city of Brink. Brink, it is said, has the second greatest view in the plane.

And every evening, the moon descends from the Plane of Air to cross the night sky and returns in the morning, and that is why the best view in the plane is in the City of Lights. From moonfall to moonrise the sky of the City is nothing less than the foreshortened plane of the world below; the three great continents with their shining cities; the vast Cataract of Steam where the endless oceans pour over the edge of the world; the green gem of the Feywild and the gradually darkening ice as the snows of Blackreach give way to the Shadowfell. There’s a moment every night, they say, when you could leap from the highest tower in the City to the highest mountaintop of the Touchsky Peaks.

But there are easier ways to travel, in the City of Lights.

Wizards love their towers, and the City of Lights is full of them. Brooding gothic ones, silvery needles, twining organic ones, impossible fragile white crystalline spires. But sometimes for practical reasons you do need just a lot of flat space, and for that reason the Congress of Mages built the Crossroads.

The Crossroads is a football-field sized square, tiled edge to edge with teleportation circles. For obvious reasons, it cannot be warded against teleportation, and so for obvious reasons it is closely patrolled and guarded and kept safe. Never safer than today, the inaugural day of the traditional Mage’s Rumspringa. Studded throughout the courtyard like their own miniature attempts at towers are the bodies of the hive-minded construct creature known as NANNY. There are many races in the City, many races participating in the Rumspringa, but even among the ogres and firbolgs NANNY looms.

Although in almost all respects identical titanic suits of living armor, these constructs have been color-coded for convenience. Students should line up with their assigned group at the assigned color, because NANNYis about to take attendance.

[OOC Thread here: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...5#post24410885
    Campaign and characters: https://www.dndbeyond.com/campaigns/944974]
    Last edited by TriciaOso; 2020-03-21 at 01:57 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Wizard's Rumspringa [IC]

Peren reflects on the previous month. Of all the conversations he'd had, or progress he'd made, the events of one night still stuck in his mind.

Spoiler: a previous night...
    Show
    Peren Ilsilme slowed his blade mid-form as the Voice gripped his mind and the room darkened.
    Tell me what you have learned of Harkaxs' fifth Agony.
    The blade began to shed a pale silvery light, a property of the rare moon-touched metal, illuminating the rack on the far wall for him to rack his weapon. The Voice tended to visit him at inopportune times, and his elders found it necessary for him to carry their heirloom, a glowing fracking sword, since the...the accident with Merenna. I can't think about her now. Focus!

Fresh sweat appeared on his head and brow to mix with what was already there. He looked upwards and recited, '...on the five day, Harkax the Eternally Damned is blasted with metal spheres that explode in terrible flames and shards, until his skin and bones and flesh are stripped away, and all is left is the hollow husk of his bound soul-spirit, that must then put him back together.'

You will find subjects for this Damnation.

'I-I'm not sure it works like that here. We--'

How many years have you borne my blessings?

It was a mistake, Peren thought. I didn't ask for this. 'Twenty-seven years. Bu--'

How many times have I asked you to perform a task?

His mouth dried. Don't think of her. 'f..five times.'

You will find subjects for Harkax's Damnation. You have one week. You know the consequences if I must ask again.

As the voice left him, Peren heaved a big sigh, and started taking in long breaths. He looked about the room, wondering why it was still dark. A scuffling sound brought his head up quickly, and a dull purple glow surrounded his left hand. He turned around, tense, and his eyes opened wide. He dismissed the glow, blushing intensely.

Another Visitation, I presume? The kindly eyes of his Great-Uncle Seljekk peered right into him.

'He's getting worse.'

'Wendonai has cunning and guile that's haunted our kin for a long time. His plans can take a thousand years to come to fruition. It is the duty of the Chosen to obey, observe and report; you've done a remarkable job so far.' The old man held up his hand in a calming gesture, forestalling Peren's objection.

He changed tack. 'Grand-Sel, what if I can't bear it? What if...if I want the Visits to stop?' He stopped short of saying what he meant, letting the implication hang as he looked upon the wizened elf, his shoulders slowly curling forwards.

The elderly man watched the young man with a frown and eyes touched with moisture. It is a curse we both must bear, Seljekk whispered. But an adventure will stir your soul and give you perspective. He walked into the room and continued, The misdeed will be done. I forbid you from talking about it any more. Hand me that contraption in your hand and show me your blade forms. It's been quite some time since...

Peren looked at his hands and a cold stab of fear jolted through him. A small metal sphere. It smells of oil and flame. As he handed it over then picked up his sword, he gave a final shudder and fell into the beginning blade stance.

Peren looks around the plaza, trying to judge the number of people gathered. If only I could see just a little higher... Although he talks to himself, he doesn't avoid eye contact either.
    GreedLing avatar by Ceika
    Playing Thorn in Knee Breakers

more

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Therai makes his way across the Crossroads, looking for others in his group. He spots the right colour and walks over, finding himself standing next to the half-elf, Peren.

He nods to his fellow student, smiling as he does so.

"All right? How you feeling Peren - excited?"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

At the sound of Therai's friendly-sounding words, Tryslin looks up from the book he had been trying to read. It was a lost cause from the start, what with the shifting shadows, questionable illumination, noise, and just the jostling from the crowd. Standing up from a slightly uncomfortable hunched position at the foot of NANNY, Thyslin stretches out the dull ache in his lower back before approaching the two groupmates before him.
    Returning player to GitP. Here's hoping my second stint will be better than my first.

5. - Top - End - #5

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Roscoe was nervous. He looked around the plaza but couldn't make out any familiar faces at first glance. He had a long thin package with him, wrapped in cloth, and had a large light brown leather backpack on his back.

His clothes looked refined but durable. White leathers embroidered with silver and gold finishings cut to fit his frame to a tee. White furs lined his cloak and his boots.

He looked splendid.

His pupil-less golden eyes scanned the scene. His platinum blond hair was tied back along with the long soft silver feathers growing through it.

"You will do fine, master Roscoe." Brother Virgil stood behind him. Roscoe turned around and nodded. He was glad to have Virgil there, and tried hard to contain his disappointment for not seeing his parents instead.

Virgil knew the boy and was respectful to his apprehension. The caretaker refrained from saying something like 'your parents are proud of you' or they wouldn't have missed this for the world, whatever it is they're doing it must be vital to the church'. While both those statements could possibly have been true, Brother Virgil had no way of knowing for sure. He also knew it wasn't what Roscoe wanted to hear right now.

Instead he handed Roscoe a package. "To help with the fishing." He said with a smirk.
    Roscoe looked bewildered for a moment and opened it. He revealed a beautiful quiver.

Roscoe gave Virgil an incredulous look. Brother Virgil couldn't help but chuckle. Earlier Roscoe had explained the wrapped longbow on his back away as being a fishing rod. He hadn't been certain if he'd be allowed to bring it and didn't want to take any chances. Getting ahold of the weapon, practicing in secret and getting it past Brother Virgils vigilance had taken up most of his free time.

"Wha.. I.." He stammered for a second then smiled. "Thank you."

Brother Virgil returned the smile as he clapped him on the shoulder. "Be safe Roscoe."

Roscoe nodded and looked over the crowd. He spotted his group and looked back at Virgil, who nodded and sent him on his way. "Go."

Roscoe hurried to where the others were gathering. "Hi gang! Can't believe it's finally time!"

6. - Top - End - #6

DruidGirl

With Roscoe's arrival, NANNY stirs to life. The first thing it does is raise its massive hands, and with a flash of blue light conjure a blue soundproof dome over the group and the circle etched at their feet. Other domes of other colors have begun to appear around the Crossroads; otherwise there would be absolutely cacophony.

"GREETINGS. I AM NANNY, YOUR AUTOMATED CHAPERONE FOR THIS TRIP. PLEASE TALK AMONG YOURSELVES WHILE I MAKE PREPARATIONS FOR OUR DEPARTURE."

"PERHAPS - YOUR NAME. YOUR AREA OF ACADEMIC CONCENTRATION. AND WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FORWARD TO ABOUT THIS TRIP. - WILL SERVE AS AN ICE-BREAKER.

The construct then appears to be stare off into space, perhaps downloading last minute corrections and updates, or perhaps pre-casting spells internally. Perhaps just waiting for the right alignment of the moon with the plane overhead.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

As Roscoe arrives, Tryslin puts down his hand, awkwardly half-raised in greeting, and turns towards the Aasimar instead. Peren and the Tiefling knew each other before this. Perhaps. The new arrival would be a better opportunity. Now, to put his best foot forward.

Walking up somewhat stiffly to Roscoe, a little uncomfortable in his finely crafted and over-formal black academic regalia, Tryslin raises his hand in greeting, fully this time.

"A fine day to you. My name is Tryslin Othronus. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

A moment passes in awkwardness. Just as Roscoe might have been about to reply, NANNY interrupts their conversation with its preprogrammed message, and Trylin continues somewhat hurriedly right after.

"I am an apprentice wizard by training. I have some experience in the schools of Evocation, Divination, Enchantment, and Abjuration. I also have some skill with the martial traditions of my people. I am looking forward to expanding my knowledge of the world and meeting fellow apprentice spellcasters. What are your areas of expertise?"

As he finishes, a bead of sweat begins to coalesces on Tryslin's right temple, slowly running down the side of his face.
    Last edited by Yuki.N>; 2020-03-22 at 11:14 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

At Tryslin's speech, Therai turns from Peren so that he is looking at everyone in the little group. He frowns momentarily, looking at the young elf.

"Are you all right?"

When a reply isn't forthcoming instantly, he slaps Tryslin on the back. "Sure you are!

"Well, I'm Therai. I guess I mostly study on evocation, but you pick up bits of other stuff along the way, y'know? Transmutation can be fun. I mean, this is when everything works like it should do, of course. Once I tried to light a candle and the teacher's shirt exploded in blue butterflies!"

He chuckles briefly at the memory before continuing.

"But as for the trip, what am I not looking forward to about it? A chance to finally get out into the real world - it's going to be great!"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

"All right? How you feeling Peren - excited?"
    Peren had opened his mouth when several others arrived. And one of them looked like they'd be bringing a bow. At least oneother of them would be well-suited to the roughness below. His musings stop as a hulking, walking armor suit came over to talk with them, calling itself NANNY.

Everyone else was so excited. He watched them, and understood: They were raised for this adventure. Their physique, their muscles have had years' more sculpting than I have. And the ones that speak up mean well. We've all had sheltered lives. Even I'm lucky to be taking this trip. He gave Therai an unconvincing smile and finally replies to Therai and the group, I guess there's a lot on my mind today; after all, our adventure is a big deal! I'm an arcanist, like many of you, but my family chose my path before I knew I was on it. I'm Peren, by the way.

He looked at the Tiefling, and a memory came to him of Instructor Harcott, and lessons with the tough but fair old bastard. Of course! That's how he knows who I am. "Therai, A word please? The half-elf walks a short distance away from the group, to a space out of earshot from others in a small space around a large potted plant. He lowers his voice and tells the Tiefling, I'd appreciate it if you kept it a secret that I'm a warlock? I've heard stories from below that they can get strung up, or worse. He pauses and sighs. I'm sorry if my thoughts are a bit much...It's just that we're going to have to have each others' backs, you know? I hope you understand

more

10. - Top - End - #10

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Roscoe acknowledged everyone with friendly eyecontact, and as Peren took Therai slightly aside he raised his hand in the same manner to Tryslin.

"Hi. The pleasure is all mine." He smiled goofishly, although his aasimarian heritage and traits did quite well, disguising goofy and somehow warping it to charming.

He looked around, suddenly hyper aware that he'd been slacking off on his studies.

"I'm.. Well, I've focused mainly on the divine side of things." He said, hoping that if he'd keep it vague enough there wouldn't be any more inquisitive people.
    It wasn't entirely untrue, just that while his parents had been adamant about Roscoe joining the Clerical Order of the Serpent, he had spent his time working on druidic ways instead. He knew the basic tenants of their church, but that was about it.

"And I'm an Eagle Scout, first rank. For extra credit, you know?" He said, playing it cool. In truth it was Roscoes favorite thing in the world, and he had been incredibly proud when he got promoted last year. He loved the classes where they learned to properly make a fire and the camping trips in the botanical garden with the troupe were the highlight of his summer.

"What martial traditions does your family practice?"
    Last edited by LuckyStrike; 2020-03-22 at 05:00 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

"Strung up below? Ha! Anyone tries to string you up they'll have to go through me first!"

Therai lets the boast hang for a second, flexing his chain covered muscles, and then smiles, self-deprecatingly. "Or possibly more to the point, they'll have to go through NANNY. I mean, who'd want to mess with that? But don't worry, my friend, if you want to keep the source of your powers secret, then it's safe with me."

He frowns.

"Or at least it should be. Things don't always go according to plan. But I promise that I will definitely try."

Therai grins, somewhat innocently.

"By the way, do you know either of the other two in our group?" he asks, as they walk back towards them.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

"By the way, do you know either of the other two in our group?" he asks, as they walk back towards them.
    I don't think so. The organizers must have done some good work to make sure they minimized the familiarity between people. Certainly it makes for an interesting adventure. But why give us a Nanny..? Don't you think that blunts the edge to any danger we'd face?
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2020-03-22 at 05:44 PM.

more

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Therai's bodily collision catches Tryslin by surprise given that he had been directing his words at Roscoe but the words that follow are even more surprising and intriguing. Tryslin's eyes immediately dart towards Therai and takes in the Tiefling as Peren the half-elf pulls this veritable tornado of energy away. A mental note was made to enquire further.

As for the more docile appearing Roscoe...well, he'll reserve judgment for now. Despite his harmless appearance, there isn't family or institution in the City of Light that could be described using that word, and the same can largely be said for the offspring and apprentices they produced. Roscoe was also being light on specifics, but they are still mostly strangers. In the meantime.

"I'm not too familiar with the standards of scouting organizations, but if you have experience with the wilderness, that would put you ahead of the typical student here for this trip. Certainly ahead of me."

"As for martials, I hate to say this but the stereotypes have some truth to them. My family practices the blade and the bow. Given that this is the City of Lights, I'm sure you know that this also means bladesong, but I have yet to really get a good grasp of that."
    Last edited by Yuki.N>; 2020-03-23 at 12:59 AM.
    Returning player to GitP. Here's hoping my second stint will be better than my first.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

"Well, yes, I suppose it does. But how dangerous is this trip supposed to be?"

A sudden idea strikes Therai. "We could always try and give the NANNY the slip? That way we'd really experience what it was like to be in the world below! What do you reckon? We should tell the others."

They reach the other members of their group again and Therai goes quiet. He gives Peren a big wink, however. Subtlety is not his strong point.

15. - Top - End - #15

DruidGirl

At this point the construct surges back into pseudo-life.

"EXCELLENT. I AM SURE WE SHALL BE. GREATCHUMS. I WILL NOW INFORM YOU OF THE GUARANTEES AND RULES OF THIS EXPEDITION BEFORE WE SET OFF."

"AS YOU KNOW, YOUR PARENTS ANDOR GUARDIANS CONTRACTED WITH THE FIRST PLANAR EXPEDITIONARY COMPANY TO INSURE YOUR EXPERIENCE ON THIS TRIP. THIS INCLUDES INSURANCE AGAINST DEATH, MAIMING OR TRANSFORMATION. HOWEVER, SHOULD IT BECOME NECESSARY FOR ME TO RESURRECT YOU, YOUR TRIP WILL BE OVER AND YOU WILL BE RETURNED TO THE CITY."

"TO AVOID THIS EVENTUALITY, YOU MAY REQUEST HEALING AS NEEDED. I WILL PROVIDE SPELLS OF THE APPROPRIATE LEVEL FOR YOUR ABILITY."

"I WILL ALSO MAKE YOUR TRAVEL ARRANGEMENTS AND HAVE PRE-ARRANGED CONTACTS WITH FRIENDS OF OUR COMMUNITY BELOW."

"I AM ALSO AVAILABLE FOR CRITICAL INFORMATION AND. LOCAL COLOR."

"OTHER THAN THAT, I WILL BE FREQUENTLY INVISIBLE AND INTANGIBLE ON YOUR TRIP. YOU WILL RETURN ALIVE. BEYOND THAT, WE MAKE NO PROMISES."

"WHILE YOU ARE IN THE WORLD BELOW, YOU MUST FOLLOW CERTAIN RULES. FIRST, YOU MUST NOT INFORM ANYONE WHO IS NOT ALREADY AWARE OF THE EXISTENCE OF THE CITY OF LIGHTS. IF YOU ARE ASKED WHERE YOU COME FROM, YOU MAY REPLY WITH ONE OF THE APPROVED RESPONSES:

'SOMEWHERE ELSE.' 'HERE AND THERE.' 'OVER THE HILLS AND FAR AWAY.' 'WHERE EAST MEETS WEST.' 'NOWHERE YOU EVER HEARD OF.'

SECOND, WHILE YOU MAY COME INTO CONFLICT IN THE WORLD BELOW, AND WHILE CONFLICT IS AT TIMES INEVITABLE, AND WHILE WE RESPECT THE DIFFERING ALIGNMENTS OF OUR GUESTS, UNDER THE RULES OF THE INTERDICT THE FOLLOWING ARE NOT PERMITTED:"

A long and for some perhaps stomach-churning list follows.

"FINALLY, BE AWARE THAT THIS IS, INDEED, NOT THE WORLD YOU KNOW. THE PEOPLE YOU MEET MAY SEEM TO YOU TO BE IGNORANT, VIOLENT, FOOLISH OR SIMPLY DULL. THEY MAY ALSO MOVE YOU WITH THEIR PLIGHTS AND DAILY STRUGGLES. YOU MAY, IN THE COURSE OF YOUR JOURNEY, FIND YOURSELF ASKING WHY WE OF THE CITY DO NOT HELP THEM, OR WHY WE DO NOT CRUSH THEM. THIS JOURNEY WILL NOT GIVE YOU THOSE ANSWERS. MANY LIFETIMES OF DEBATE AND EXPERIMENTATION AND SOMETIMES, WAR, HAVE FAILED TO PROVIDE THOSE ANSWERS."

NANNY
    seem to fade away, and its voice transitions from a booming metallic announcement to a metallic internal whisper; familiar here where message and sending spells are ubiquitious. The teleportation circle flares into light.

But it is the hope and goal of the First Planar Expeditionary Company that your journey will have taught you to ask the right questions.

When you are ready, please step into the circle.
    Last edited by TriciaOso; 2020-03-23 at 09:30 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Right questions...as if we already have answers to the questions that haven't been found? If only life's solutions could be as simple as a number. Like...36.

Peren gives a sigh. He adopts a tone that's somewhat sarcastic but also attempting--awkwardly-- to joke,
    So all we have to do is find the right questions? Good thing I'm a half-elf. We might age quite a bit before we find those among foolish and dull people
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2020-03-23 at 01:33 PM.

more

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

The joke flies over Therai's head. "I don't think we'll be down there that long, my friend. But come on, adventure awaits!"

He practically leaps into the circle, overcome with excitement. While he waits for the others to join him, his lips moves silently as he tries to memorise the permitted replies that Nanny specified.

18. - Top - End - #18

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Roscoe wrinkled his nose as the Nanny began listing misdeeds. Most of it, if not all of it, would never have crossed his mind in the first place. He raised an eyebrow and was about to ask what defenestration meant, when Nanny brutally continued the list and he forgot all about his question.

It took him a moment before he was present in the moment again and caught the last part of Perens remark.

Foolish and dull? Roscoe had been hoping to meet fun and interesting individuals. Pirates and treasure hunters.

He heard Therai say the word adventure and that all Roscoe needed to hear to jump in himself!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tryslin absorbed the droning words of NANNY with a corner of his mind, not paying particular attention until it hit the list of prohibitions. As NANNY churned down the list, Tryslin frowns slightly and watched his companions' reactions out of the corner of his eye. Rules like these are written in blood.

Watching as his more excitable groupmates jump into the circle, Trylin quips at Peren as he approaches it himself. Just so he isn't left hanging.

"Be that as it may, I would rather not waste more of my own lifespan standing around on this plaza. Let's head off."
    Last edited by Yuki.N>; 2020-03-23 at 11:59 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

DruidGirl

Most of you have taken some kind of teleportation magic, either within the city or with your family. A jaunt, especially this far, stirs a deep unsettling lurch in the stomach and a temporary whirling fantasy of light and sound and sensation, as your senses dissolve and reform. And then with a not-quite-audible thump, the four of you (and your invisible fifth, presumably) are... elsewhere.

Elsewhere appears to be a circle etched on the roof of a building, perhaps even a tower? It certainly commands view of the city around you. And what a view! As noted, perhaps the second-best view on the plane. If you look to the east, you see a city, oddly low by the standards you've grown up with, with a somewhat incoherent hodgepodge of architectural styles, but mostly formed of a yellowish clay or brick. The streets are full of people, and the people are almost as diverse as the people you're used to seeing in the City of Lights, at least as far as you can tell from here.

The city is unwalled, and gradually peters out into a dry dusty plain of the same color. The city appears to be on a subtle but undeniable slope, and comes to an end in a massive causeway heavily anchored and bulwarked on the western edge of the city. Your tower, and many other buildings, appear to be on this causeway.

And the view in the other direction? To the west, the gradual slope of the city rapidly crumbles away into a steep slope, becoming a drop, into a deep pit filled with distant flames. And in the distance, the sun is descending into this pit in a blaze of radiant glory. Beyond it, there's... nothing. The pit stretches on, but the other end of the causeway you're on is anchored on nothing, and there appears to be nothing to anchor it on within your visual range.

Belatedly, you may notice you are not alone on the rooftop. A centaur stands to one side, the kind of thing that's not easy to miss in other circumstances. He has glossy chestnut flanks, and a curly chestnut beard that spills down his bare chest. He's wearing nothing except for a sort of aprons with dozens of pockets.

"Welcome!" he cries, in a deep, jolly, Brian-Blessed sort of voice. "Welcome, travelers, to the Tower of Volas, in the City of Brink."
    Last edited by TriciaOso; 2020-03-24 at 08:50 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

It takes Therai a few moments to recover from the teleportation spell, but as soon as he has he starts almost spinning around as he tries to look at everything at once. However, when the centaur speaks it focuses his attention.

"Greetings to you too, my friend! I am Therai Darkfire - pleased to meet you. And you are...?"

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

It appeared the Centaur waited for each of them to introduce themselves to him. That, or perhaps he was afflicted with the already-warned of dullness, a malady Peren had never considered would be shared by a fey.

I am Peren, your eminent full-voicedness. What can you tell us of this fair city?

He figured that the man, despite his enthusiasm, might need some time to process his open-ended question and respond. Poor fellow might have already had spent too much time with the Dullfolk.

Dullfolk...What a fitting name for people without scholarship or magic, he mused.

Does this modest city have a delicacy that foreign people like us could try?
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2020-03-24 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Fey, not get

more

23. - Top - End - #23

DruidGirl

He laughs heartily. "Volas, of course!"

He turns to Peren. "It's the largest city of the plains of Nom, my lad. The only one that hasn't been crushed by the giants, and a lodestone for the free peoples of the continent. It's a dangerous place, though--as I understand it from my own travels, Nom is a rough and tumble place, compared to some. An exciting place to start your journey!"

"The giant scorpion kabobs are worth a look," he says, leading them towards a ramp that spirals down into the building. Centaurs don't have stairs. "Are you hungry, then? I thought you might want to begin with a bit of excitement, but if you'd rather find your sea legs and fill your bellies, haha! I suppose it can wait."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

As one entirely unfamiliar with nautical slang, Peren feels confused with some of the Centaur's claims. 'Volas, I'm not certain I'd like to purchase legs conjured from water; I rather like the fleshy ones I have. But those scorpion kebabs sound like a fun way to start this adventure. A warm belly full of new spices and flavors make for a memorable experience! He contentedly hums an old Elvish tune as they descend the ramp into the city.

more

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tryslin shrugs and follows the group, not averse to trying out new cuisine but not particularly impressed by the city itself thus far. The primary source of its majesty, as far as he was concerned, was natural and not the product of hands or minds.

As the sound of city-life became louder, Tryslin finds his way to the side of Volas and discretely inquires as to what the more...exciting option had been, not hiding his caution.

"I'm certainly curious as to what form of excitement had been deemed suitable as an introduction to these lands, but I would like to find out a little more before diving in headfirst."
    Last edited by Yuki.N>; 2020-03-24 at 11:04 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

DruidGirl

"It appears we have a consensus," Volas observes with false gravity, before letting out another booming laugh. "Very well."

The tower is certainly humble by the standards of the City; only a few turns bring you to the ground. Rather than entering his space, Volas cheerfully leads you into the single vast street of the Causeway, perhaps 200 feet wide and extending several miles out into the void. The natives appear to have built directly onto it, but the surface is vast grey flagstones rather than the yellow clay you see elsewhere. The setting sun continues to make the West and uncomfortable direction to look.

The open space is bustling with goliaths, humans, centaurs and rather a lot of tieflings and fire genasi; dotted among them are dwarves, goblins, and a few free orcs. Most of them look, indeed, rather rough and tumble, wearing armor or clearly disdaining it to display barbaric musculature, and openly carrying weapons.

Volas, from his specially high vantage, squints around for a food barrow. "Now, who among you can tell me what planar phenomenon is taking place beneath our feet even now?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Arcana check! Advantage for Roscoe and Therai.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Peren wonders what, indeed, is going on beneath their feet, and guesses, 'far beneath us, The world is a flat disk and is carried on the backs of four elephants, who perhaps stand on a cosmos-whale that swims through the heavens...and we're going to somehow witness the transition of a new team of elephants that will shoulder the burden of this world's disk?

more

28. - Top - End - #28

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Roscoe chuckled at Peren's guesswork as he chewed his bottom lip trying to come up with the answer.

He had followed along with the group in absolute awe of nearly everything around him and he'd been struck silent for a while just taking it all in.

He felt insanely out of place with his crisp, rather fashionable look, and as soon as he made eyecontact with some of the locals he'd averted his eyes trying to make it seem like he wasn't staring.

29. - Top - End - #29

DruidGirl

Volas chuckles. "Someone's been peeking at the next cosmic sphere over, I think!"

He successfully finds the giant scorpion kebab barrow, parked worryingly close to the edge of the Causeway. If anything proves you aren't at home anymore, it's that no Health and Safety Commission in the City of Lights would've ever approved the lack of a safety rail.

Volas pays for the kebabs, and nudges Therai. "Here, this one might be in line with your tastes -- bit of poison gland there! Too spicy for your comrades but I think you'll enjoy it."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Therai is visibly torn between the two options of food and excitement; it's written all over his face. He seems almost relieved when the majority plump for food as it means he doesn't have to decide.

He ruminates on Volas' question. "Below our feet, the Plane of Evil is being created. Dunno how long it will take, but it's on its way. It's kind of sad when you think about it - nothing wrong with plain old fire."

While he's talking, his eyes are jumping all over the street, marvelling at everything he sees.

He takes the kebab from Volas, biting into it with pleasure. "Thank you sir! I do like a bit of flavour..." After chomping enthusiastically for a few moments, he offers it to the others, grinning as he does so. "This is great! Does anyone want to try some real food?"
    Last edited by Jaryn; 2020-03-25 at 08:32 AM.