New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Wizard's Rumspringa [IC]

Tryslin ruminates over Volas' question and draws a blank, quietly making a mental note of this as a subject for further research. Taking a skewer from Volas, Tryslin frowns as he took a sniff and a bite. As he waved his free hand through the air, Tryslin offers his thoughts on the matter.

"A tad strong for my sensibilities, but it shouldn't be bad after a little adjustment. The texture, at least, is pretty interesting."

A few small arcane glyph appears before Tryslin's fingertips and the flavor of the kebab is tuned to just liking, just so.
    Last edited by Yuki.N>; 2020-03-25 at 09:34 AM.
    Returning player to GitP. Here's hoping my second stint will be better than my first.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGirl

"Correct!" booms Volas. "And here, where the Material Plane comes to an end and we plunge into the Plane of Fire below, it has become a problem!"

"Every night, fiends creep up the slopes of the Pit below into Nom. There are all sorts of valuable materials revealed by the gradual erosion of the Pit, but they often become landmarks and rallying points for these fiendish assays."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

"Is that the excitement you were planning on starting us with?" asked Therai. "Battling fiends and recovering precious things from the edge of hell itself?"

He looked around at the others. "We've been here five minutes and it already sounds more fun than home!"
    Last edited by Jaryn; 2020-03-26 at 05:57 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Roscoe listened with half an ear as he carefully nibbled at his kebab while still looking around. He was drinking it all in.

He nodded fervently at Therai's remark. "It sure is! This place is amazing. I'll pass on the one you're having, thanks. Mine tastes great."

He turned to Volas. "What else can you tell us? What type of materials are revealed that they attract such attention down there?"

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Peren sucked his teeth. The fiend he'd had just verbal contact with oozed terrible power his small mind could barely grasp. Every interaction with the imperious being was a reminder of just how insignificant he was. Humbling, yes; Terrifying? You could bet your trees on that. The word fun was just about the furthest thing from his idea of possibility. But he couldn't afford to spill his thoughts out for everyone to see, least of all Therai, who was the only one decent enough to keep safe his potentially damning secret.

Instead he asked their guide, 'Are there any who might teach these Easterners other ideas that might make the Plane of fire less...intense? Like if any could show them the usefulness of fire, and how its really just a force of nature?
    GreedLing avatar by Ceika
    Playing Thorn in Knee Breakers

more

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tryslin's eyes narrowed at Therai's words, a corner of his eye noting Peren's initial response, which he largely agreed with. Glaring into Therai's eyes, harsh words squeezed themselves from between his teeth.

"You seem awfully excited at the idea of diving headfirst into danger. I would have thought you would be a little more reserved against fighting the spawns of the Plane of Evil given your heritage, if only because your family would have had some experience with both the powers and dangers of their ilk. Remember that death is far from the worst that can happen at their hands."
    Last edited by Yuki.N>; 2020-03-26 at 09:42 AM.
    Returning player to GitP. Here's hoping my second stint will be better than my first.

7. - Top - End - #37

DruidGirl

Volas chuckles. "Many questions! Hold a moment."

He addresses Peren first. "A wise thought! Unfortunately, mages influencing the development of terrestrial religions is exactly the sort of thing the Interdict is designed to prevent. And of course, there is a seed of truth in it as well."

"The ancient primordial fire elementals were hostile to developing life on this plane, and many of the most tyrannical dragons of the Age of Titans were banished there during the wars with the giants. They worship the sun as the fire that loves man, and each day it battles its way back to them beneath the earth."

"Of course, we mages bear our responsibility too. The Pit itself would never have opened if we hadn't raised the moon."

He turns to the others. "But yes, indeed, I had considered you might retrieve something for me. Many treasures are exposed there -- gems, precious metals, rare reagents--even openings to the Underdark, which is unfortunate for its residents."

Finally, he looks at Tryslin with a wry expression, and laughs again. "I won't send you to your death so soon, young elf. You are only touching the fringes of the great evil. Balors and mariliths do not roam the shallows of the Pit."
    Last edited by TriciaOso; 2020-03-26 at 09:52 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Therai squared up to Tryslin, not entirely understanding what the elf was getting at, but appreciating the fact he was being glared at.

"What do you mean? Yes, fighting demonspawn does sound fun! Testing the strength of our arms, meeting new comrades-in-arms... What's not to like? And what do you mean by my heritage? My family haven't made any deals with devils or demons. My magic just happens!

As if to prove his point, he opens the palm of his hand and concentrates briefly. A tiny image of a halfling appears in his hand, pirouettes a couple of times, silently sticks its tongue out at Tryslin, and disappears.
    Last edited by Jaryn; 2020-03-26 at 10:42 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tryslin shook his head in frustration. So this was the world beyond the library. Perhaps the subject he should have focused on in preparation for this trip was not this land where he now stands on but the other individuals who hailed from the City of Lights. Sighing, Tryslin relaxed himself and answered Therai in a more conciliatory tone.

"You are born of Fiendish blood. You are a Tiefling. I do not hold it against you, but you should know your sorcerous powers are more than likely only a hint of the power wielded by your ancestor and those that hail from the Plane of Evil. I have no qualms about contesting the forces of darkness, but I would prefer we do not take the matter lightly."

Tryslin hesitates briefly as he considers what he would say next. It would be uncomfortable but this one needs it.

"I would also remind you that while we in the City do not judge you by your race, there will be many who do. Be careful where you tread, and I hope you do not suffer too much from the prejudice in these lands."

As Volas interjected lightly with his reply, Tryslin turned to look him in the eye as well.

"I can see now the value of facing the spawn from the Pit despite its danger. I had assumed that everyone in this party would have had a common basis of understanding of the world beyond our home, but perhaps seeing things with our own eyes will be the best way for all of us to learn."
    Last edited by Yuki.N>; 2020-03-26 at 11:26 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Therai relaxes as he considers Tryslin's words.

"There is a difference between taking evil lightly, and facing it with lightness in your heart, my friend. We're I to come up against my ancient ancestor I would almost certainly run, otherwise she would squish me like a bug. But running with a smile on my lips and spitting in the face of death as I did so? To me, that would lessen her power over me."

He turns to Volas. "What is it you're missing and where can we find it?"

Suddenly one of the other things that Tryslin said strikes him. "And as for prejudice... We have ways of combating that!

He clenches his fists and waves them around randomly in the air, grinning as he does so.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tryslin smiled at Therai's words. This one might seem empty headed at times, but he has a good and strong heart. A small part of him envied Therai's confidence, while another wondered if Therai's optimism would survive the trials ahead. These thoughts passed as a flash in his mind as he turned to his other companions.

"And what do the two of you think? Comfortable for an expedition to the Pit?"

12. - Top - End - #42

DruidGirl

"Let us retire to quench our thirsts while you discuss, young friends. And I will tell you a bit more of what we seek."

He leads them to a tavern also set on the causeway; it's likely the filthiest place any of them have seen in their lives, and they haven't seen the privy yet. (Empties directly into the Pit!) The centaur's hooves crunch a fandango of death for whatever vermin live in the rushes. The drinkers seem to be more barbarian folk, mostly, but there are a few leather-clad dwarves around a table in the corner. The goblin behind the bar pulls down ales for them.

"Our goal is not gems or gold--the competition for that might be a bit too hot for little lads," he booms. "My instruments have detected a lodestone of iron ore--nothing exceptional, normally, but this particular deposit is charged with the energy of Law. With careful forging the dwarves can make of it axiomatic steel, which they use in their cannons. And with those cannons their Black Powder Priests defend us and others against the giants. Valuable indeed, but only for those with the knowing of how to use it."

"It is no lower than the fourth shelf, a few miles' journey. The fiendish threats should be well within your capabilities, and no other scavengers should trouble you."
    Last edited by TriciaOso; 2020-03-26 at 11:59 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Peren had been reluctant to divulge his extreme dislike of all topics fiendish. His mouth and body betray his desire to stifle even his thoughts, and his mouth turns downwards and he begins to ever-so-slightly shuffle his feet. His left hand trails backwards to feel at the clasped greatsword about his back, and he hums another of the Old Songs.
    Spoiler: For those of you with an intimate knowledge of Elven language...
    Show
    This ballad, if they had a chorus to sing the lyrics, tells of a family that leaves their forest to help some friends of theirs nearby. They return to find a hurricane-force wind has stripped nearly every tree and fallen many of the tallest saplings. The young ones are very upset, but the elders console them with the new possibilities. That new set of dwellings many had wanted? Let's build them. That big garden others have been asking to make? Let's plant it! The song ends as an infant begins to walk for her first time, and enters a grove and finds four new seedlings, of a rare tree the elves had thought they'd lost many centuries ago.

Peren stops humming soon after they enter the bar, just at the transition to the uplifting conclusion. His eyes dart around the bar, and he looks for an unattended mug, or at least the mug of a patron who wasn't paying enough attention to it, and swipes it.

Before anyone else can react, he drains it. He certainly isn't prepared for the strange taste of the drink, and he sputters through a few coughs, catching the attention of the barkeep. He fumbles into his purse for a silver mark, and sets three on the table. "A refill for the generous stranger, barkeep, and something lighter for me please.

As they wait, he considers what Volas has told them. Dwarves from where I hail are known for their honest jobs and good-paying, steady work. My thoughts are that, although the job could be dangerous, it's better to do quickly rather than wait on it. How about the rest of you all? He thanks the bartender and finds the spot most suitable to accommodate their centaur guide.

more

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tryslin notes Peren's nervousness but thinks little of it, taking it as a normal response to the potential dangers ahead. What matters is pushing through the fear to action. As Peren calls over the barkeep, he requests the most expensive drink they had without alcohol, placing a single gold on the counter. Decisions should be made with with a clear head, but he's not going to turn down the potential for a new experience.

"I have already expressed my openness to the idea, and Therai here seems veritably chomping at the bit. I suppose that just leaves Roscoe here?"

A pause as he reconsiders everyone's dress.

"If we decide to go, we should also request NANNY to hand us our gear. Most of us don't seem to have our arms equipped. For that matter, we should probably change even if we decide to head elsewhere."

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Therai seems to be enjoying his ale, and his eyes start to gleam at the prospect of getting his hands on the various pieces of weaponry that Nanny is carrying for him.

Then something occurs to him. "It is true that this sounds like a great adventure, but... what is in it for us? Extra credit? Room and board somewhere? Interesting things apart from the lodestone that we find on the way? After all, as my friend here says" - he punches Tryslin lightly on the arm - "we should not go into this lightly!"
    Last edited by Jaryn; 2020-03-27 at 11:06 AM.

16. - Top - End - #46

DwarfBarbarianGuy

"I'm in!" He replied eagerly to Tryslin's question as he came round the table with a tray full of various drinks of different colors, shapes and sizes.

Roscoe had been relieved to see Therai and Tryslin make up so fast and had followed the group into the bar. He'd made a beeline for the bar to order everything that struck his fancy and just as he returned to the group he caught the tail end of what everyone had been discussing.

"I'm up for going down below, and wouldn't mind a wardrobe change into something a bit more suitable. I stand out like a sore thumb here."

He sat down and took a deep dark brown ale for himself, and a shot of a clear pinkish liquid. Surprisingly, the small glass was very bitter, and the ale was much sweeter than he thought it would be. Not that Roscoe had any notion of what ales should taste like, he was squarely making his judgement calls based on what they looked like and found he needed to adjust his expectations.

Also he wasn't quite sure he was into drinking at all. He was accustomed to a glass of wine during dinner back home, once a week or so, and never really had been drunk. He made a mental note to take it easy.

A real bar though, down below, adventure. It was an opportunity he couldn't miss out on.

As he was happily getting swept up in the talks of what they were about to do, he gestured to all that the drinks were for who fancied one.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Peren balks at Roscoe's self-effacement. Nonsense, Roscoe, if anything you're the finest person to have ever graced this establishment. If you changed clothing, how would I see my drink when you got back? Peren takes little notice of his emotional about-face and takes a second sip of his light ale. It had a fine taste, light with bananas and cloves and periua-tree bark. Certainly this would be the time to mentally stow away the image of them all enjoying drinks before the next day. But look at this collection of drinks! If I didn't know any better, I'd say you're trying to poison us all with this motley collection of drinks before we start our fine day of meatball surgery tomorrow. If only I had a few bits of charcoal and some tints, this scene would make for a fine painting. He takes another sip and gives Roscoe his third-best smile.

more

18. - Top - End - #48

DruidGirl

Volas laughs yet again. "Well! You drive a hard bargain, boys! I was asked to find something exciting for your trip and I thought this might suffice, but if you're looking for payment--well, I had hoped this boon might win us access to the Priests' artillery line. The dwarves are damn jealous about who they let see their black powder works, you know."

"If we're all agreed, then I'll take you to the trailhead and give you the dowsing fork as soon as you're ready. In your own time, gentlemen."

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

Peren shakes his head to Volas' idea. I would rather be decently compensated by the dwarves than have their engineering secrets.

more

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

Taking a sip from his very expensive lemon fizz, Tryslin grimaces at the taste. He isn't sure what he had expected. This was a pub. Now, for terms.

"Or more to the point, perhaps you might offer to compensate us for helping you get access to their secrets. After all, none of us here have a personal stake in black powder weaponry. Unless you could convince us otherwise."

21. - Top - End - #51

DruidGirl

Volas frowns. "Very well. I had thought it might be a suitable next stop on your trip. But I can certainly pay what I would normally offer a party of sellswords to do such work--20 gold pieces apiece, upon delivery."

His jolly manner now grows rather stern.
    "However, if you insist on bring treated as hirelings rather than guests, I shall insist on a little more haste, eh? Make yourselves ready and return to my tower for instructions."

He heads towards the door.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tryslin's eyes narrow as Volas exits, turning to the rest of the group after he was sure Volas was gone.

"I don't trust that one. Where I am from, we do not entrust guests to wade into danger for uncertain benefit. If a service is required, we offer good terms in hopes of building a congenial relationship. If he is unwilling to offer an olive branch as the senior party, I'm unsure how things will work out from here."

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Therai looks a little uneasy as he stands up. This wasn't necessarily the outcome he'd intended.

"I dunno guys, a black powder factory sounds like it could be kinda fun, and I quite like being a guest... He seems nice to me - I think he's just trying to show us a good time."

He pauses and looks confused. "And how are we supposed to know which tower is his to meet him there?"

24. - Top - End - #54

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Roscoe smiled and winked as he raised his glass in acknowledgement to Peren's words.

As Peren and Tryslin open up their thoughts about compensation, and Roscoe gauges Volas' reaction, his smile disappeared.

"I'm with Therai on this one." He said as he quickly put his glass down. He stood up from the table and hurriedly gathered his stuff.

"I feel we owe that man an apology, and I intend to deliver one on behalf of all of us. Get your heads out of your under-robes." He said as he hurried after Volas, catching up with him at the door.

Roscoe placed a hand on his shoulder, hopefully stopping Volas in his tracks.

"Listen, I'm sorry for our reaction back there. We didn't mean to cause offence. We're not used to these kinds of things and I for one can attest that all we know about these things are either from reading fiction or listening to some uncle exaggerating his exploits over a glass of wine too many at the dinner table."

He paused a moment to see if he had Volas attention, and then confidently continued.

"I, for one, would be honored to carry out this task and see what a dousing fork is. And to possibly see the Dwarven workshop is icing on the cake. Please, share a funny fizzy drink with us and let's continue on the right foot here."

He looked expectantly, waiting for the centaurs reaction.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tryslin winces at the words of his compatriots. Had he really misread the situation that badly? He has never been the best with people, which is why he always paid the most attention to what they did rather than what they said, waiting for the other party to show their goodwill, put their money where their mouth is. A small voice in the back of his mind piped up and reminded him that while he had always been good at identifying those with ill intentions, he had similarly driven away many with good ones. Was this another one of those cases? Will Peren, Roscoe and Therai abandon him?

As Roscoe runs out after Volas, Tryslin sighs into his drink, not looking out of the door. Noting the distinct lack of alcohol, he waves the bartender over and asks for something with a bit more punch. Something dwarven and distilled maybe.
    Last edited by Yuki.N>; 2020-03-28 at 07:44 AM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

"Better get that to go my friend, or down it in one!" Therai grins at Tryslin. "I think we're setting off!"

He looks at the young wizard expectantly, waiting for him to leave so that he can follow him out of the door.

27. - Top - End - #57

DruidGirl

Volas smiles broadly at Roscoe's apologies, and pats the lad on the hand. "No need, my boy, no need. Truth be told it was hard for me to imagine what reward I could offer lads who grew up in such a place, but as I said I suppose I should treat you as I'd treat any other young adventurers."

"I've never done one of these, y'know -- I grew up on the Plains of Laconia, not so far from here. I've been to the City, of course, and it's a place of wonders, but a bit too quiet and clean for an old warhorse like me."

"I wanted this to be exciting and a bit of fun, but I think I forgot nothing spoils the fun for young folk like an adult tagging along and trying to be a 'pal.' Next time I'm asked to do my part I'll play quite the stern taskmaster, like the old priest in a fairy tale." He winks. "Enjoy your time on your own and I'll see you at the tower."

28. - Top - End - #58

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Taken aback somewhat by Volas' own admission of inadequacy Roscoe couldn't help but smile and nod. He was a bit at a loss for words but felt relieved no feelings were hurt.

"Alright old man, maybe you'll see fit to share a drink after you see us come back with some of that iron-ore! See you in a minute." He said as Volas walked off.

He turned around and made his way back to the group.

"It's fine gang, were good." He said with positive energy.

"Sorry for snapping at you guys." He said as he looked at Tryslin in particular. "I was just really into soaking it all in, and quite liked the centaur showing us around that I may have latched onto him too much. I'm totally up for making our own way in this place."

He put his arm out in a brotherly handshake type of way for Tryslin to grab if he'd want to.

"And that includes bartering for every last bit we can get out of it. We good?"

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tryslin takes Roscoe's hand and shakes it, looking relieved but still a little dejected.

"Thanks for smoothing things over. Perhaps I should leave the talking to you guys. I am not the best with strangers, and I might leave another bad impression."

Turning to the table, Tryslin downs his drink. The harsh burn of the liqour is just what he needs right now.

"Now, let us move on with our task."

Glancing around the group, a little more life returns to Tryslin's eyes, a sparkle more befitting of his age

"Or perhaps there is something else we should do with our freedom?"
    Last edited by Yuki.N>; 2020-03-28 at 11:36 AM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

"I don't think you latched onto him at all, my friend, I think he seemed nice. Good work sorting out our... misunderstanding." Therai addressed Roscoe before turning to the wider group.

"But it looks like we're all on the same page now! My vote would be for finding out which tower we need to go to, getting the dowsing fork, finding the lodestone, and then painting this town red in celebration!"

The tiefling's usual enthusiasm has returned after hearing that Volas had forgiven them. It appears that he likes to be liked.

"Having said that, I'm definitely open to alternatives if you've got something in mind Tryslin?"