New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Wizard's Rumspringa [IC]

"I have a couple of ideas for later but I was hoping for suggestions there," says Tryslin, shaking his head.

"Come then, let's fetch out gear and start on our quest. It seems as good a place to start as any."
    Last edited by Yuki.N>; 2020-03-28 at 02:33 PM.
    Returning player to GitP. Here's hoping my second stint will be better than my first.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

Peren had been sipping on his drink. 20 gold for the whole job? Depending on the danger they'd face, that certainly didn't seem like enough pay. But maybe haste was best in this regard. Concentrations of powerful energies opposing the creatures of chaos didn't avoid notice for long. And Iron, pure iron, would soon oxidize and be difficult to process.

"Come then, let's fetch out gear and start on our quest. It seems as good a place to start as any."
    Certainly he could have thought faster than that. His drink was only half-drunk! Well, better to be safe than sorry. Better to not be poisoned. But it was good drink. He set a few silvers and coppers on the table, took a last little sip, and left with the rest of them out the front door.

OK, how do we get in contact with the NANNY? It was a decent day out, considering their proximity to the plane of Fiery Evil they were next to.
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2020-03-29 at 08:56 AM.
    GreedLing avatar by Ceika
    Playing Thorn in Knee Breakers

more

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGirl

I am here, comes the voice in their minds.

When the group is outfitted and ready for action, they head for the Tower of Volas; it's easy to find as the tallest building on the Causeway. The centaur leads them to point where the city proper meets the lip of the Causeway, and a wooden scaffolding climbs down the side of the stones to the precipitous slope below. He draws to items from the many pockets of his apron.

"This dowsing fork has been attuned to axiomatic energies, and should lead you directly to the ore. I recommend giving it to who ever has the greatest skill in navigating wild terrain." It's a y-shaped forked piece of wood, like a rather organic tuning fork; a ring is wraps around the handle, pointing to symbols carved around the circumference.

"And this is a Rod of Drawmij." He takes out what looks like a short thick metal rod with a clasping claw at one end, clutching a sapphire. The other end has a set of lenses, like a telescope. "When activated, a light shines from the lens which invisibly marks the item, and inscribes a corresponding rune on the sapphire. If you mark your prize this way, you can leave it there and bring back the sapphire, and I will be able to use it to summon the ore. It's a bit sophisticated, so I suggest you give it to your most skilled arcanist."

"Follow the fork to the ore, mark it with the rod, and bring back the sapphire. Watch for devils and try to avoid other adventuring parties--they're unlikely to desire the ore, but they may be unfriendly on general principles. And good luck!"

His hooves being wildly unsuited to the ladders and staircases of the scaffolding, Volas waves goodbye from the top of the causeway. Below, the slope of the Pit drops steeply towards the distant fires; now that the sun is subsumed in the flames, it is the only light, extending into a dark infinity. In places, black towers and extrusions rear up from the fire sinisterly, and by the firelight you can see beings moving on the slope like ants on a log and hunks of minerals, metals or gems gleaming like the studs on a barbarian's bracer.

You can see that the slope plateaus out repeatedly, giving context to Volas's assertion that the ore should be no lower than the fourth shelf. On the deeper shelves, closer to the Pit, larger creatures move, but nothing bigger than humanoid can be seen on the first four--at least, not within visual range, as the slope extends both to the south and to the north, passing under the Causeway. To the north you can see the titanic bulwarks of the Causeway biting into the slope, and you are forced to wonder what hands sunk them there.

The area immediately at the bottom of the scaffolding seems to be home to many temporary encampments, each spaced well away from each other and from the bottom of the last ladder. These seem to house rough-looking mercenaries of many races, primarily human, planetouched or goliaths.

Spoiler
    Show
    A Survival check is needed to navigate, and an Arcana check to use the Rod of Drawmij. The Fork gives advantage on Survival checks on the way to the ore.
    Last edited by TriciaOso; 2020-03-28 at 09:43 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Roscoe listened intently to what Volas said, and looked at the others when he explained about the items.

"Well, I don't know about the rest of you but if I have the Rod of Drawmij we'd have more luck using a wheelbarrow to retrieve the iron." He joked.

"The fork however, might prove useful. I've got both my tracking and navigation badge and think I can use this to our advantage." He looks around once more looking if anyone objects and if they don't, he pockets it. (Should anyone object he'll happily hand it over to them without objecting.)

Below the tower he scanned the whole of the view, and focused his gaze on the encampments below.

This was all he ever wanted, and he was finally free to make choices of his own. And live with the consequences.. In a moment he was struck with indecisiveness and.. fear.

"Any.. Anybody, want to make some preparations? Before we head out?"

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

Peren nods, asking for a minutes' pause in their trek. He rummages into his pack and finds the grenades. There are two of them--he dares not guess how, when or why he received another--and carefully, gingerly, secures them with some spare strands of string to the top, back section of his backpack: this way, he can yank them out in a pinch but he doesn't need to reveal or show their presence until needed. He loosens his greatsword and nods to Volas, 'Let me know when we're approaching the dangerous zone. I can at least cast some spells that will help with a fight.

Roscoe, I agree with your assessment to use the fork. You'll best guide us into this area. Myself, I'll take point here, as I believe I carry the biggest, nastiest weapon out of us all. Should we need to split our numbers, I'll guard Roscoe, as i'm at least competent with ranged magics, and I have a few tricks to deal with crowds.

Any other comments?

more

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

"That all sounds sensible to me."

While Peren is rummaging through his pack Therai performs a check on his own equipment, slapping each piece in turn to acknowledge its existence. He is dressed in a chain shirt and carrying a shield on his left arm, while a longsword is belted by his side. A component pouch is on the other side of the belt, easily accessible, and a pair of hatchets are tied one either side of his backpack. Finally, a wand sticks out of his belt next to the component pouch. It looks as though the middle has string wrapped round it and some kind of resin applied to help it not fall apart. Occasionally, out of the corner of your eye, you can notice a golden mote appear from the repaired area, a little like it is leaking.

As Therai takes out the wand, he refrains from hitting it. "Family heirloom" he explains. "It does... things. Well used, but an old faithful."

He listens to the others talking tactics. "All right Tryslin, if we get split up then it looks like you're with me. I'll keep an eye on you, although I do warn you that sometimes in the heat of things I can get a little... carried away. But just point me in the right direction and it will all be fine. But up until that point, I can fight at distance or at range. Mind you, let's be honest, it's much more fun getting close up and personal."

It is relatively well known that Therai was a very competitive wrestler back in the City of Lights, so his ideas of fun in this case might be a little biased.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Well, since now seems to be the time we are sharing our options with each other, each of the rubies here contains with a fireball spell, arcane activation. It might not be the best option against foes from the Plane of Fire, but that is my trump card while we are down here."

Strapped to Tryslin's left upper arm is a leather band, finely crafted and dyed white, with five rubies set within it.

"I should also be able to handle myself at any distance," says Tryslin, indicating the rapier and daggers on the left side of his belt and the wand and quiver on the right, ending with a tap on his shield. On his back rests an impressive longbow for his rather slight frame.

"In the meantime, it looks like I'll the one handing the Rod. Anything else comes to your mind on this Roscoe?"
    Returning player to GitP. Here's hoping my second stint will be better than my first.

8. - Top - End - #68

DruidGirl

The path between the first and second shelves is rocky and steep, but not too impassable. Following the promptings of the fork and the natural paths of the slope, there seem to be two possible places to emerge on the second shelf: an open plain a little further to the south, or a gem-studded field further north. There's a huge boulder of uncut diamond, and scattered around it are fist-sized and smaller chunks of gem. The southern path seems more difficult.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Therai studies the two paths and harumphs. "More likely to be people or demons around the easier path. How confident are you at scrambling? Or should I say, how badly do you want to crack some demon heads?!"

He lets out a genuine belly laugh at the thought.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

'If we must take the Plain, how about we tag that enormous diamond first?'

more

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tryslin frowns at the suggestion. He would be lying if he said he isn't tempted, but caution prevails on this occasion.

"If something looks obvious but has not been done by the thousands around you, perhaps find out the reason first. I would let the diamond be, at least until we get some understanding of why no one else has mined that field. In that tune, I suggest the Southern route for now."
    Last edited by Yuki.N>; 2020-03-30 at 08:39 AM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

"Makes sense. Even if you want to fight, better to do it on our terms than theirs. That diamond is like a big, juicy kebab going 'eat me!'"

Therai's stomach rumbles as he starts thinking of food.

"Everyone ok with the climb if we take the southern route away from it?"

He starts to move towards the path.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

Peren had been so worried about meeting demons of the social kind. Ones that would trick us, ones that could look just like Volas but be just a tad bit different. He had been certain that, at the bar, there would be some swaggery fellow who would use honeyed words and just the barest touch of magic to try and entice them away from even the simplest of quests. There had been no such enticement. Instead, at the first sight of a diamond probably worth the True Ressurection of a hundred souls, he'd fallen for the most classic trick in the book. Or at least, nearly had. He was glad this wasn't a solo journey.

Yeah...the southern way seems to be the path of less temptation. Thanks, Tryslin.

more

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tryslin raised an eyebrow at Peren's sudden thanks, unsure why that was the chosen response over agreement or otherwise.

"...certainly. I believe we have a majority vote now. Let's move."
    Last edited by Yuki.N>; 2020-03-30 at 08:41 AM.

15. - Top - End - #75

DruidGirl

As the group moves forward down the more difficult southern path, noises are audible from the north; squeals and bestial grunts. A cloud of greenish smoke erupts around the diamond; even from here, the fetid stink is apparent.

Just as the group are congratulating themselves on choosing the right path, there's a fiery explosion from within the cloud. The steep, loose earth underneath begins to slide, and everyone tumbles down the slope, arriving on the second shelf with a great deal of noise, dust and loose rocks.

Spoiler
    Show
    Roll a DC 12 DEX saving throw. If you fail, you are prone and take 3 damage; save halves and you are not prone.

A group of creatures emerge from the cloud, fleeing the explosion; they are small and run hunched over, occasionally on all fours. They have bat-like faces and bodies covered with light greenish-grey fur, and they hoot and gibber as their path of escape takes them straight towards the group. There are four of them, in a loose line about twenty-five feet away to the north, on the verge of the stinking cloud.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative order:
    21 - Peren
    16 - Roscoe
    15 - Therai
    8 - Tryslin
    3 - Dretches

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    Last edited by TriciaOso; 2020-03-30 at 01:32 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

Dretch were the basic minions of the Demonic Hordes. Tough as four men, they had savage claws and bites. Many a mortal had perished beneath their attacks, and never discovered their true danger: They could expel a cloud of terrible gas and grime capable of laying low even the toughest Dwarven warrior. He was stricken prone from the blast, and he curses the sting of sulphur around him, but he took stock of his surroundings.

I'll take point, he growled, and advanced as he unclipped his sword. He stopped enough to look around and ready a spell, preparing himself for what could be a nasty conflict. Before he casts, he directs the others, first Therai then Tryslin to spaces next to him. "Shields here. We'll form a line for Roscoe to fire behind. With that done, he lets go of his sword with one hand and studies the Dretches. He'll unleash his magic against the monster closest to him, yelling an insulting epithet to the creature in Fiendish. Although Dretches couldn't speak, as far as he was aware, they could still hear and understand their native language.

Spoiler: Actions!
    Show
    Move 15' forward; if knocked prone will need other 15' to stand up. According to PHB, may draw weapon as part of movement.

Free: Talk to/direct allies

Attack - Eldritch Blast: Ranged Touch vs. Dretch 1 (1d20+5)[12] & on hit (1d10)[8] Force

Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2020-03-30 at 10:59 PM.

more

17. - Top - End - #77

DruidGirl

The dretch at the end of the row is hit dead center with the blast, and part of its flesh boils away. Rather than spilling blood or entrails, however, the blast simply cores through it; the creature is revealed to be a glob of elemental evil molded into a convenient shape without much internal detail. Losing nearly half its mass does not seem to slow it down appreciably, however, nor do its howls and moans sound much different from its fellows. Perhaps they feel no pain, or perhaps being a dretch is already agony.
    Last edited by TriciaOso; 2020-03-30 at 08:40 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

A little known fact about dretches were that they could actually provide sustenance to higher demons. Although their flesh reportedly tasted terrible even to their elevated masters, their flesh was highly nutritious (again, only to demons). A common theory has circulated among academics that many demons have resistance to electric magics due to a steady diet of Dretch. This is, of course, unproven, but it was entertaining to consider.

His attack revealed the true nature of their foes: formed from elements themselves, it's as if the plane were trying to emulate the fearsome does they could face.
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2020-03-30 at 10:00 PM.

more

19. - Top - End - #79

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Roscoe similarly scrambled up after falling. His left leg felt bruised and only moments after he found his footing he noticed the monsters.

Instead of smoothly drawing his bow and notching an arrow, like he'd fantasised so many time before, he instead instinctively fell back into the lessons learned from brother Virgil.

He instantly held out his hand in a grasping manner, and as he did so all manner of restrictive vines sprung out of the ground around the monsters feet.

Ooc: Roscoe stands up from prone and casts Entangle. (Str save DC13) or be restrained. The squares of the entangle start at the monsters, leaving a free path for anyone who wishes to get into close combat with them.

20. - Top - End - #80

DruidGirl

Vines explode from the dry, crumbling earth in a radius all around the giant diamond, instantly browning within the toxic cloud but still grasping and choking. The two dretches in the center of the line of fleeing creatures are enveloped in vines and half-buried under thorns and leaves; the two on either end, the injured dretch and one other, are slowed momentarily, but rip free, uprooting the sudden growth at the cost of some speed.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Therai hauls himself back to his feet from where he lay. Grimacing, advances to stand next to Peren.

"Let's see if that saying about fighting fire with fire holds true" he muttered. Readying his shield in his left hand, his right becomes wreathed with flame which then streaks out towards one of the dretch.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Actions: Standing up, moving 15' to stand by Peren, casting Firebolt - also targeting Dretch 1.

Fail at dice code.
    Last edited by Jaryn; 2020-03-31 at 07:40 AM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Forgive double post, but having to reroll Firebolt with working code:

(1d20+4)[13]

23. - Top - End - #83

DruidGirl

The firebolt strikes true, and the tarry substance of the dretch seems to bubble and flow, but less of it burns away than you might have hoped for. You get the sense that creatures who crawled up from the fiery Pit below may be able to shrug off such a cantrip.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fire resistance for half-damage
    Last edited by TriciaOso; 2020-03-31 at 08:21 AM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tryslin hesitates momentarily, weighing potentially finishing off an enemy quickly or going for one of the easy targets restrained by the vines. A dagger flashes from his hand, arcing towards the wounded fiend.

Attack - (1d20+6)[7]
    Damage - (1d4+3)[4]

25. - Top - End - #85
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Damage for the dretch: (1d10)[4] and then halved for resistance.

26. - Top - End - #86

DruidGirl

The dagger sleeks through the air and improbably darts through the gaping hole in its torso, continuing unimpeded into the field of fetid smog and vines. Something else moves within the field of stinking gas, struggling within the entangling growth to get at the dretches, unsuccessfully.

Baying, the injured dretch continues to barrel directly at Peren, the one who did it the worst harm. As it draws near, the stench is unimaginable--no matter how prepared he was from tomes and lectures, the slavering bristly reality inches from his face is a different matter. Yet as it snaps and slashes at him with its razor-tipped paws, the bites and blows rattle unsuccessfully against his chain shirt. The second swipe of its talons almost claws his face, but he snaps his head back out of the way just in time, and the wounded demon howls its outrage. It scurries around him, scrambling between him and Roscoe.

The unharmed and unobstructed dretch at the end of the row lopes towards Tryslin and hurls itself at him fangs first; only to bounce off when the elf hastily throws up a Shield spell. It chitters its fury and bashes its claws haplessly against the invisible barrier, then squeezes between him and the rough slope, grumbling, to take partial cover from the others.

Meanwhile, the two dretches entangled in the field of clutching vines struggle and hack at the growth binding them. One is unable to escape, but the other rips free and lopes forward, hurling itself at the shield wall.

Spoiler
    Show
    *deep breath* Okay, so -
    [5] Failed Str Saving throw by Something
    [16] Successful Strength Check by Dretch 2
    [9] Failed Strength Check by Dretch 3
    [11] + 4 = 15 Attack by Something (ends up not happening - restrained)
    [10] + 2 = 12 Attack by Dretch 1 on Peren (fails)
    [1] +2 = 13 Attack by Dretch 1 on Peren (fails)
    [13] +2 = 15 Attack by Dretch 2 (ends up not happening - used its action to break free)
    [18] + 2 = 20 Attack by Dretch 2 (ends up not happening - used its action to break free)
    [15] + 2 = 17 Attack by Dretch 3 (ends up not happening - restrained)
    [7] + 2 = 9 Attack by Dretch 3 (ends up not happening - restrained)
    [16] + 2 = 18 Attack by Dretch 4 on Tryslin (Shield invoked; fails)
    [13] + 2 = 15 Attack by Dretch 4 on Tryslin (fails)

So none of the damage rolls wind up mattering. I do actually still need one more Str Check somehow. And back to the top of the order!

(1d20)[1]
    Last edited by TriciaOso; 2020-03-31 at 10:22 AM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

Tryslin, what--
    Step--
    Try--
    Peren dodged, moved his head and then cut off as the Dretch that moved past him lumbered towards Roscoe. He whirled his sword in a deadly arc opposite Therai, attempting to hit the Dretch that readied itself to savage Roscoe. Anticipating the demon's full attack, he prepared to strike at the beast if it followed the Aasimar's retreat.

more

28. - Top - End - #88

DruidGirl

The blade cleaves the dretch in two; tendrils grasp out, trying to knit it back together, but the gap already blown in its torso is too wide, and partially cauterized by the firebolt. The two halves of the creature slop apart, losing consistency, and something almost intangible inside shrieks and reaches feebly to the north before being dragged away into the Pit like a wisp of elvish smoke being inhaled.

As the residue of elemental evil splashes around Peren's feet and boils itself into nothingness, the laughter of an all-too-familiar voice seems to echo in his ears.

YESSSS. Let the unworthy be returned to the tender belly of the Pit.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

Peren shook his head, banishing his extra thoughts. His family had taught him that extra musings in the midst of battle could dull awareness and lead to critical errors. Instead, he considered stepping forward a pace to stagger the formation of their line.

yes, he decided, it was a fine idea, being able to step forward while threatening the Dretch between his other two sword-bearing companions. Any other demons that would try to move past him to Roscoe would have to deal with his massive blade.
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2020-03-31 at 08:49 PM.

more

30. - Top - End - #90

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Roscoe kept his mental grasp on the vines, seeing that it slowed down, and in one case even restricted, the enemy.

He took his longbow and notched an arrow. Roscoe started getting nervous, there were people everywhere. Shouting, flinging spells and running around..
    He was about to shoot but hesitated, he didn't want to hit his friends. The fumbling made his arrow clatter to the ground a ways off.